to cough or not to cough

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi everybody, l vaporize my weed since february 2013, l begun to feel that my lungs are tiredfull ,my baby was born some months ago and my wife don't smoke (now l smoke yet but 3 little blunts per day mixed with tobacco the bad european habit): it was time to change and somebody offer me the HA2.2, this device convert me quickly to the vape world the only issue was (and is yet) that it make me cough like if l was ill, it was terrible...
I ordered a glass bong and l'm coughing yet but not enough than before and l found the solution:
if l put less weed (less than0.2) l didn't cough anymore with or without water
This is true just for medium and high quality weed, low quality weeds don't make me cough and I'm coughing more at the half session than to the beginning(better flavor) and the end (worse flavor).

After some weeks I couldn't resist to try others vapes and ordered portables and desktop vapes and notice some differences between them.

And that it's crazy is that some vapes make me cough and others not (with the same quality weed) and some vapes makes me cough more with water than without!!!

HA2.2: big amounts= cough, water can help
Cloud: big amounts and big hits(until with water filtration)= cough, it never make me cough with dry mouthpiece(hits are not so big than I use water)
Noble vapor 600:(it collects dust now) not my better buy but it never make me cough(perhaps because it's not really efficient)
FV S2: it makes me cough everytime (except with small load = 0.05) with concentrates too but it's a nice device
Inh 004 Xp: it rarely makes me cough (l use it through water everytime) dry l can't tell...
Firewood: it make me cough sometime but the learning curve is a little bit longer than other (l combust a little bit sometime) with more experience i will never cough.
Thermovape T1, evo and Rev: it rarely make me cough (l just keep the evo)
Mflb: it makes me cough everytime

I think that the desktop winner is the Cloud with bubbler weedstar and 1/3 elb of nice weed=cough, cough, kof, kof, kof.... and the portable winner is the FV-S2

Do you know why there is so big differences between vapes? I though when there is a little bit conduction l'm couging more than it's a 100% convection but it's not true for my winners, the Cloud is 99% convection and FV-S2 is 95% (it's not scientific just a number to give you an idea of that it means for me)
Sorry about my poor english

ogcook

I never cough...........except with the MFLB, which like you, happened to me every damn time I used it.
Since it is a conduction vape you get more 'charred' product when it's releasing vapor. So I can imagine that in conjunction with the very short vapor path doesn't help. When I had mine, putting my tongue in front of the air path to diffuse it some before it hit my throat helped.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Great Questions PPN I always cough with a couple of my vapes mainly the DV , WISPR and now the Tvape .
Almost never with the FV or MFLB . Technique maybe ? The amount of vapor plus heat in the lungs or how deep I inhale with each vape ?
I'm not sure , but I don't think its a rare experience but don't have the answers , just the same question .
IF I smoke herb now I really cough even worse .

..................................................................:peace:.......................................................................

max

Out to lunch
Do you know why there is so big differences between vapes?
It's all about how the vapor hits you, and there are more variables than just which model you're using. The model that usually put me in the most danger of coughing my ass off was my SSV, and that was when it was delivering really big hits, especially at higher temps. But load a small amount (smaller than is suitable for this model) and it's not a problem. OTOH it doesn't take a huge hit from the MFLB to bother me. I hardly ever cough with any model, but the MF can easily make my lungs feel tight after a hit, and it's due to the fact that your mouth is so close to the bowl. There's very little distance for cooling of the vapor. Use a whip with it, or water filtration, and it's a different story.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Rude boy do You never cough with your FV?!!?! Do you use 1 or 2 spacers?, do you want to get visible vapor? do you use very small amount(less than 0.1)?

PPN,

Tweek

Everyone is different. I know folks who can suck on Volcano bags all day with no issue, I have one and my lungs tighten up and my throat gets dry. Even with water.

Outside of design issues, you also have to consider allergies, asthma/lung disease, and folks who are just more sensitive to plant particles and hotter/drier vapor.

All you can do is experiment.

Personally, I prefer not to cough.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Its rare with the flashvape , I use one spacer or no spacer . how I use the FV the most is fill it half full so I can take a hit or two set it down and come back later for another hit or two .

EDIT : and yes I always get very visible vapor .

Last edited:
RUDE BOY,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Don't forget, when you switch from combusting to vaping, your lungs will attempt to clear out all the icky they've accumulated. You may find yourself coughing a lot more, and coughing up stuff.

I find lower temps increases my coughing. For me, I think THC triggers the cough. Once I get up about 400F, I almost never cough.

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Cloud: big amounts and big hits(until with water filtration)= cough, it never make me cough with dry mouthpiece(hits are not so big than I use water)

Keep in mind that the water cools the vapor therefore you'll be able to observe a bigger hit...then you'll cough...when using it dry the vapor gets hot faster which is way you exhale faster and have a smaller cloud.

m0sh,

salivape

I'm a cougher, always have been. That was one thing that I thought vaping would help me with, but no. I only own a solo currently and that thing makes me choke every time. I've used a volcano a few times and find it much smoother, probably because the vapour cools in the bag before you hit it. Also it probably expands the vapour which supposedly gives a smoother hit. Not a fan of the bag setup though really, especially being a spliff with tobacco convert.

salivape,
Reactions: ou812?

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
They always told me that "if you don't cough, you don't get off".
Seriously though, nobody wants to cough. I have been looking for ways to make the vapor smoother.
I'm finding that filtration of the vapor through cotton makes more of a difference that water filtration. It seems that the suspended oil particle size may be the key in obtaining a smooth hit.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Okay, the MV seems to make everybody agree, perhaps is it possible to try the MV paradis Vapo? (I'm a french guy) if you want we could make a trade: my cloud and a MV:rolleyes:, isn't it?

PPN,

LeTchen

A toute vapeur !
Retailer
If you can come to us in the south (04), no problem to try the MiniVAP ;)...... I have a Cloud too ! But the Cloud is only a plug-in vape...

LeTchen,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I think there are at least 5 causes of coughing:
1) High temperature (selected or fixed)
2) Dirtiness around heater/bowl
3) Hot spots (convection) and contact scorching (conduction) - heating not uniform enough
4) Hit density and volume
5) Too hot or cold when it enters you

The more a point is met, the more it is likely to make you cough. The same with combinations.

chris 71

i always wonder why smoke from a j seems smother then vapor (for me it does anyway) i dont roll huge joints or take huge puffs either.
but it just always seems easier on the old wind pipes...
i wounder if there is a difference in the smoke versus vapor and how long the two hold there temps for ?
i know the heater on the joint gets much hotter then any vape. but maybe the oil from the vaped material holds the temp longer being that it is more oily and bigger size globs then the smoke?
maby the smoke cools much faster then the oil just because of its make up?
im still messing around back and forth between vaping and smoking after i think about two years.. and in all honesty i keep reverting back to smoking because after vaping for a while my lungs really start to bother me.
and i dont think its this transition thing you guys are always talking about. and we are still coating our lungs an bronchs with sticky oily material.. oil and water dont mix maby the oil just feels harder to expel then the soot and crap from smoking? i always get a much more productive cough after a smoke. and can imediatly feel a clearing or opening of my tubes after.. but with vaping again ( with me anyway) i do eventully sometimes get that cough that after i feel opened up but its much more work.
anway not here to argue smoke versus vapor. even just the mateial that s left after vaping suggest big time and obviously that vaping must be better but still there has to be a reason why the coughing so much...tat was one thing i remember when i first started watching videos of people vaping why the heck are they coughing so much? maybe the vaped oil does hold the temp longer and it is simply harsher on the tissue for that reason alone.. just speculation of coarse : )

chris 71,

max

Out to lunch
i keep reverting back to smoking because after vaping for a while my lungs really start to bother me.
That can happen if you like lung busting vapor hits. For me, smoke hits my throat like a knife compared to vapor, and I got to the point years ago where even small combustion hits bothered my lungs to the point that I would have given up cannabis if I hadn't discovered vapor. Too many big hits, or too many hot ones (like the MFLB with only a short mouthpiece) can still give me some tightness, but nothing compared to smoke.

As for coughing with vapor, people are different. Only huge, high temp hits put me on the verge of coughing, but even small hits can sometime cause my wife to cough. Cannabis is also a throat irritant, so coughing can happen even before it hits the lungs.

lwien

Cannabis isn't irritant but expectorant ;)

ANY foreign substance that is inhaled at higher than normal temps and lower than normal moisture levels can very much be an irritant.

Also, being an irritant and being an expectorant are not mutually exclusive for they can both exist at the same time.

lwien,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

vapirtoo

Coughing whilst combusting feels like razor blades :disgust:. In comparison a vapor cough feels like....
cotton candy, rough cotton candy :2c:
I only cough when I'm greedily chasing clouds.

Top Bottom