Discontinued ThermoVape

OF

ReapsTwo said:
Just ordered my black T1 Kit! Also got an aluminium mouthpiece.

Cool, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. While I'm also sure you'll like the looks of the Aluminum mouthpiece, it's actually Nickle plated like the rest of the unit, I found it got too hot in serious use. The Delrin ones worked better, IMO.

OF

OF,

ReapsTwo

I saw that a few people suggested that it would get hotter earlier in the thread, but it looks much nicer imo. Plus, I dont mind spending an extra 8 bucks on a mouthpiece when i've already spent $250 :p

ReapsTwo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
NewSchoolExplorer said:
sessnet said:
Yeah! I got used to it.

I don't like pulling in lots of air, and getting wispy clouds (almost no vapor). I was even considering selling it - until I learned how to use it right (make nice clouds), finally.

So, I don't know if it was all because of the Revolution tip, but now it is fun experimenting and finding an EVEN BETTER way to get more clouds.

I am still trying to master getting clouds all the time, it seems like it take way longer of a heat up time than 20 sec to even start clouds of vapor (i have to go through a few wispy hits before I even see clouds, perhaps I am doing something wrong? Also for a second I thought my unit was defective as when I first looked through the screen into the thermocore I noticed two coil like things and only one was lighting up but I honestly do not what I was looking at.)

I find that I need about 20 seconds to start heating, and about 10 more of puffing/inhaling, before any clouds start. I also never stop heating it up, until a few seconds after being "done". Lots of people say it only takes 10-15 seconds, but that seems to optimistic, in my experience. For me it's more like 30 seconds. Maybe my TV is faulty, if yours is too?

Also, another user suggested to hook up a clear whip or tube, so you can actually see the vapor in the tube, and use that as a visual cue for learning/timing/producing vapor.

sessnet,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Just trying to think back on the construction of the heater core, wasn't one of those elements a reflector? If so, it wouldn't heat up as fast as the other side, especially if still purging moisture from a boil . . .

fwiw, I just fired my T1 and one side did glow before the other one, but they both glowed red for sure.

Edit: Do make sure the core is screwed in all the way, mine wasn't once and it created odd problems until corrected.

t-dub,

OF

t-dub said:
Just trying to think back on the construction of the heater core, wasn't one of those elements a reflector? If so, it wouldn't heat up as fast as the other side, especially if still purging moisture from a boil . . .

fwiw, I just fired my T1 and one side did glow before the other one, but they both glowed red for sure.

Edit: Do make sure the core is screwed in all the way, mine wasn't once and it created odd problems until corrected.

The two heaters are the same. Both are coils with a reflector/support rod in their centers. How fast any part of one (we're looking at one end of each mostly) heats up relative to others can vary a lot, but eventually it should all glow uniformly. Coils closer together, for instance, heat faster. Eventually the whole core comes up in temperature with heat being radiated and re radiated all around, sometimes called 'the kiln effect'. Air drawn through this area heats well, provided it doesn't blast through in a high speed stream.

The point about screwing the core back in fully is very important. Air leaking in here on the pull bypasses the heat core causing all sorts of issues. There's even a false feel from the o-ring as you screw it in such that you can think it's snug when it's not. You need to pay special attention.

OF

OF,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
OF said:
There's even a false feel from the o-ring as you screw it in such that you can think it's snug when it's not. You need to pay special attention.
Yes, excellent observation (thanks OF), I noticed this as well. Thats why I started using the grip gloves (instead of lubrication) for the job.

t-dub,

towelieeeee

secret stoner
sessnet said:
I find that I need about 20 seconds to start heating, and about 10 more of puffing/inhaling, before any clouds start. I also never stop heating it up, until a few seconds after being "done". Lots of people say it only takes 10-15 seconds, but that seems to optimistic, in my experience. For me it's more like 30 seconds. Maybe my TV is faulty, if yours is too?

Also, another user suggested to hook up a clear whip or tube, so you can actually see the vapor in the tube, and use that as a visual cue for learning/timing/producing vapor.

Are you still using the original batteries? The heat generation may not necessarily be the core, but rather the power supply to it... I suspect that the power delivery curve deteriorates over time, especially with frequent heat cycling. Does the heat-up time remain long even on brand-new, fully charged batteries?

I tend to go for a longer warmup time as well... and notice that the first bowl, no matter how i vary the draw/time, is wispier in clouds than the 2nd/3rd, which (can be) enormous :)

I wasn't satisfied w/ adding the screen between the top-cap and bowl... slowed down the holes plugging, but only briefly. I seem to have to poke 'em out with a paperclip fairly often... even w/ occasional ISO wipes. Is it just me?

Is everyone on the long mouthpiece (delrin or rev?), or do some prefer the short one?

towelieeeee,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
towelieeeee said:
I seem to have to poke 'em out with a paperclip fairly often... even w/ occasional ISO wipes. Is it just me?

Is everyone on the long mouthpiece (delrin or rev?), or do some prefer the short one?

I used to just blow it out but now that I use a coarser grind I no longer have this issue. Also, as of this time, I still prefer the regular T1 mouthpiece over the Revolution. I found more tunneling with the Rev mouthpiece, it definitely changes the heat profile of the device, and I am still testing it with higher humidity . . .

t-dub,

PB88123

Vaporist
towelieeeee said:
I tend to go for a longer warmup time as well... and notice that the first bowl, no matter how i vary the draw/time, is wispier in clouds than the 2nd/3rd, which (can be) enormous :)

I wasn't satisfied w/ adding the screen between the top-cap and bowl... slowed down the holes plugging, but only briefly. I seem to have to poke 'em out with a paperclip fairly often... even w/ occasional ISO wipes. Is it just me?

The first bowl from a cold start will need some extra warm up time / won't get much from the first hit. I usually keep the top cap off with the bud in the top cap and watch the TV heat up and once I am satisfied with it I will screw the cap back on. That way I know it is the hottest it can be when I begin inhaling.

I clean my top cap by turning on my sink water as hot as possible and placing the top cap under the stream. I wait 10 seconds and it is as good as new. I dry it off and back in business.

Here is how I hit my TV when at home.

MTrdG.png

I also like using the long mouth piece and bite down on the groove in it.

PB88123,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
towelieeeee you are right. The amount of dust that accumulated on the screen, near the mouthpiece holes, was insane. It was like a little mountain of compressed (by my inhaling) herb. It was stuck there pretty well.

Still lots of experimenting to do!

sessnet,

OF

sessnet said:
towelieeeee you are right. The amount of dust that accumulated on the screen, near the mouthpiece holes, was insane. It was like a little mountain of compressed (by my inhaling) herb. It was stuck there pretty well.

Still lots of experimenting to do!

I've noticed it's strongly related to moisture. That is if I dried the bud well beforehand, the cake at the top was slower to form and easier to deal with. Anyone else notice this?

I usually brush this surface off with bowl changes. I use a Boar bristle artist's brush maybe 5/16 inch wide with the bristles cut off about 3/16 long so they're plenty stiff. Works great.

OF

OF,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
+1 OF

I use my MFLB brush, or a qtip with ISO usually. However if you put a screen there, and pull hard as batshit (like I do), then it cakes up even more. Which, in turn, makes me pull even harder...

I don't like mixing the bowl, it feels messy to me, since the only tool on-the-go is usually my hands.

If the bowl and top part were non-stick, then you could wipe away everything using a finger tip, and even mix the bowl easily by pushing it around.

sessnet,

towelieeeee

secret stoner
PB88123 said:
I clean my top cap by turning on my sink water as hot as possible and placing the top cap under the stream. I wait 10 seconds and it is as good as new. I dry it off and back in business.

Nice! This is a great tip. Just tried it now... Way easier than poking/brushing/wiping :)

towelieeeee,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Speaking of cleaning the top cap, I pulled out the mouthpiece the other day and noticed how much shit was built up on the mouthpiece side of the metal plate w/ holes. :o I had been under the (mistaken) impression that brushing off the underside with my MFLB brush was enough.

Take your mouthpiece out and take a look down there. You might be surprised at what you find.

:2c:

Stu,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Stu said:
Take your mouthpiece out and take a look down there. You might be surprised at what you find.
Oh so true Stu, noticed that as well. Now I make sure to take out the mouthpiece when I boil the top cap.

t-dub,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
Hello everyone,
I have been using my t1 for about two weeks now and thought I would throw in my opinion on a few areas.

Pros:
1) This is the most well built vaporizer I have used or purchased. The quality of the workmanship is outstanding, and I don't feel like I will break it dropping it while in a stoned stupor.
2) In my own mind I have a hard time justifying this comment, and maybe it's the quality of my material, but I seem to get very medicated with a lot less material. Even my Iolite seems like a weed hog compared to the t1. And the unit only heating when you chose to heat it cuts down on wasted vapors floating into the air.
3) Stealth. I play a lot of frisbee golf and this beats the Iolite hands down for an on the go vaporizer. Even my buddies whom smoke (YUK!) don't know I am vaping while I play. It heats up fast, you get a quick hit, and back in the bag it goes. Someone whom didn't know you were vaping would have to be paying very close attention to catch you taking a hit.
4) I had to experiment quite a bit, AND read this entire thread, but this thing can kick your ass! The only portable I have used that can really beat this as far as cloud production and pure coughing enjoyment is the Supreme Vaporizer, unfortunately it requires a huge torch and 60 to 90 seconds of heat up time to use, making it virtually impossible to use in public. I haven't found one true portable out there that can hit like this unit can, but there is definitely a learning curve involved.

Cons:
1) Same as everyone else, battery life. I think the difference for me is I will not waste my time trying different batteries. In my mind, the Thermovape team did a huge amount of testing and experimentation with just about every cell imaginable, I cannot believe that they would send a less than stellar battery with such a fine product, that's it for the cons!

The first hit off of a fresh bowl is usually wispy IMO, but I think a lot of that has to do with the actual temperature of the bowl itself. Since it is a convection system, the bowl the material sits in does not really start to warm up until the hot air is drawn across it. Once the bowl gets past the first hit, it is good and warm and spreads the heat a lot more evenly for the concurrent hits, making them more cloudy and much thicker.

In my honest opinion, for a personal vaporizer, this is the best buy on the market. It is built to last, can be cleaned for travel and has one of the meanest hits around. I feel as though the $250 was an American bargain, considering I paid almost that much for my Iolite and it feels cheap and easy to break compared to the t1.

My hat is off to the Thermovape team, you all should be very proud!

Dogman,
Reactions: ugobo

darkrom

Great Scott!
While I love my thermovape theres one thing that NEEDS to be said. The claim that bud doesn't fall into the heater core is simply false at least in my case. The only reason I care is that when this happens it more or less starts tasting like combustion, even on the first hit with fresh herb. The only solution that I have found for on the go when this happens, is to take off the mouthpiece and do a "dry run" and fully burn it and then shake it like crazy. This seems to clear out anything falling into the heater core.

The obvious downside to this is that I need to waste 2 batteries to clean it if I am on the go. With my dead battery that means I get ONE session on the go until I order more. While this sounds negative, and it is, I still want to point out that this is really my only issue with the TV and it is still the absolute best portable for me so far. I am really diggin this thing, but I need to order some more batteries soon. While I am at it I should probably order the longer mouthpiece, even though I'm not sure how much of a difference it will provide in regards to my throat issues. For now I actually believe my throat issues are caused by something else (but the doctors cant seem to find any cause...) but this is definitely irritating my throat more than say my log vape which I can filter through water with the inline Aqua Vape.

Thermovape, is there any way you would even consider some sort of PORTABLE cooling adapter or mouthpiece? I wouldn't even mind if it made the TV 2x as long, as long as it were detachable so I didn't have a full lightsaber in my pocket. I'm starting to think that at least for now I should ONLY use water filtration, while vaping way less until my throat feels better, but on the go filtration would be a huge step for the portable vaporizer market, something no one else has going for them, unless you are willing to carry around a full bubbler and pretend this setup is still portable :/

darkrom,

pecosthecat

You might want to try a slightly courser grind. The grind that works best for me in the thermovape is roughly BB size.

darkrom said:
While I love my thermovape theres one thing that NEEDS to be said. The claim that bud doesn't fall into the heater core is simply false at least in my case. The only reason I care is that when this happens it more or less starts tasting like combustion, even on the first hit with fresh herb. The only solution that I have found for on the go when this happens, is to take off the mouthpiece and do a "dry run" and fully burn it and then shake it like crazy. This seems to clear out anything falling into the heater core.

The obvious downside to this is that I need to waste 2 batteries to clean it if I am on the go. With my dead battery that means I get ONE session on the go until I order more. While this sounds negative, and it is, I still want to point out that this is really my only issue with the TV and it is still the absolute best portable for me so far. I am really diggin this thing, but I need to order some more batteries soon. While I am at it I should probably order the longer mouthpiece, even though I'm not sure how much of a difference it will provide in regards to my throat issues. For now I actually believe my throat issues are caused by something else (but the doctors cant seem to find any cause...) but this is definitely irritating my throat more than say my log vape which I can filter through water with the inline Aqua Vape.

Thermovape, is there any way you would even consider some sort of PORTABLE cooling adapter or mouthpiece? I wouldn't even mind if it made the TV 2x as long, as long as it were detachable so I didn't have a full lightsaber in my pocket. I'm starting to think that at least for now I should ONLY use water filtration, while vaping way less until my throat feels better, but on the go filtration would be a huge step for the portable vaporizer market, something no one else has going for them, unless you are willing to carry around a full bubbler and pretend this setup is still portable :/

pecosthecat,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Stu said:
Speaking of cleaning the top cap, I pulled out the mouthpiece the other day and noticed how much shit was built up on the mouthpiece side of the metal plate w/ holes. :o I had been under the (mistaken) impression that brushing off the underside with my MFLB brush was enough.

:2c:

Yeah man. I blow my cap out a lot, and when airflow still seems a little restricted I pop out the mouthpiece and get rid of that stuff. An ssv pick is handy for getting at all the holes and edges. I haven't been boiling my parts lately, just giving everything a thorough clean when airflow seems to drop off a bit.

My ThermoVape goes everywhere with me. Technique seems effortless now, "It's like riding a bike". Easy to pull stealthy yet tasty hits when I need to, or blow lung busting clouds of delicious vapor when all bets are off. Those who are willing to learn the techniques that work for them will be rewarded greatly.

Peloton,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I start off with a BB size break by hand (any grind with my space case is pretty fine) but then how do you break it up to get a few more hits out of it?

Like I said loving it, but I need to order lots more batteries.

darkrom,

pecosthecat

Normally, I just stir or shake up the bowl. I have tried crunching up the load in the palm of my hand about 1/2 way through. That yields a few more hits, but the taste normally isn't that great, so I don't bother.

darkrom said:
I start off with a BB size break by hand (any grind with my space case is pretty fine) but then how do you break it up to get a few more hits out of it?

Like I said loving it, but I need to order lots more batteries.

pecosthecat,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Can anyone comment on the level of throat irritation reduced by using the longer mouthpiece? I may end up ordering a whip of sorts to use with it to extend the air path even more for when stealth isn't as important as portability. I really love this vape but while whatever throat condition is going on (not cause by vaping IMO but its DEFINITELY aggravating it) I am trying not to vape at all, and when I absolutely must I'm forced to use my Underdog so I can use the Aqua Vape. Even with the AV I still get irritation right now :(

darkrom,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Converted a few more believers yesterday!! Too bad we are not on commission huh??

:lol:
:peace:

Bluntcrush,
Top Bottom