Discontinued ThermoVape

max

Out to lunch
I suggest that everyone stay away from anything resembling personal attacks from here on in, and post on the thread topic. Some apparently also need to review the rules, and they will be enforced.

max,

BossBrew

Metalhead
Stu said:
For any faults it has, IMO the TV does shine for flavor. I love my Solo, but I wouldn't say that the flavor is that great with it. I've yet to try the SS bowl, so maybe it's the ceramic that fouls the taste some in my unit? :shrug:

For vapor production the Solo wins hands down. But I don't think the TV is designed to compete with harder hitting units. It's definitely better suited for a single medicinal user (I almost wrote "solo use") while the Solo can be used with a pair, or even 3 people easily.

I think each has their strenghs and weaknesses and I'll continue to use both in different situations.

:peace:
Couldn't agree with you more Stu. I have been using the TV nonstop and my results have been consistently amazing due to the awesome tips and advice from this thread.

Before the TV, the Solo was my preferred vaporizer. However, the Solo cannot match the TV in taste. I don't have to worry about warm-up time and I really enjoy the fact that my herb isn't being heated at all times. I lost a few bowls to the Solo forgetting that I left it on! :lol:

In terms of effectiveness I feel more medicated after a bowl with the TV than a stem with the Solo.

For the past week I have been using the TV1+Revolution solely for my vaporization. It's awesome to do it all with one device!

:ko:

BossBrew,

PB88123

Vaporist
Stone__Man said:
@PB888 ? sorry if name is wrong man, but I really liked your vid, I could actually see it, don't mind whats his name with his amateur remark, u did a fine job, spoke clearly, vid was clear well lit. I'm happy bro ;) . one question is that the kind of spoon I think it is? :cool: do u use it to know the portion size? for tht reason it seems a very good idea, maybe I can't start rationing a bit in my usage. and there is one of my main reasons to look into get a vap. I have no Idea of the validity of them , but see many claims that say using vap u can get at LEAST twice as much outta your stash. do u or anyone know if that is a fact?

PB works just fine for me. I'm glad you liked the video. I like to think I know the ins and outs of this vape by now. The little spoon came with my grinder and I actually don't count how many scoops I do. I filled my TV bowl and then weighed it out on a scale so I know how much a full bowl is and fill it up to the same place every time. In terms of saving bud. When I used a bong I would use 15g in a month. With the vape I am down to 5g in 30 days and that is sharing too.

In terms of battery life. The best batteries are the ones that come with it. You can't just take the AR batteries and use them with the TV and get 9 hours of battery life. The AR uses less power to operate. The TV uses what is usually use it desktop outlet vapes. The SSV when plugged in is 30 watts warming up. The TV heating element is comparable to the heating element in the SSV both around 30 watts when in use. If you know anything about 30 watts you know it will drain the batteries fast. Until there is a small battery that can keep 30 watts going for a hour we are stuck with what we have.

The hardest part when starting from a cold start is getting the herb to vaporization temperature. You need to let it preheat and then let the warm air pass though the herb and get it to vaporization temperature. I rather wait 10 seconds for it to warm up rather than 90 seconds with other vapes but the difference between a 10 second and 90 second warm up is battery life. You have some pros and cons and I feel the pros outweigh the cons for me.

PB88123,

mephisto

In regards to battery life, I left the TV out in the truck overnite. My morning session was short
and hardly satisfying. This leads me to believe the exposure to the night temps. (45) bled some
love out of my batts. FWIW the TV stores very nicely in an Otter box, I believe it is the 1000 series.
Waterproof and a thin piece of foam keeps the rattling to a minimum.

Also, I have been using my TV daily since its arrival. After 4 weeks of use, it is definitely time to
boil the core and mouthpiece. Tough to draw as it is>>>>>

mephisto,

PB88123

Vaporist
mephisto said:
In regards to battery life, I left the TV out in the truck overnite. My morning session was short
and hardly satisfying. This leads me to believe the exposure to the night temps. (45) bled some
love out of my batts. FWIW the TV stores very nicely in an Otter box, I believe it is the 1000 series.
Waterproof and a thin piece of foam keeps the rattling to a minimum.

Also, I have been using my TV daily since its arrival. After 4 weeks of use, it is definitely time to
boil the core and mouthpiece. Tough to draw as it is>>>>>

I'm not cold battery expert but this is what happened to me.
I left my TV out in 20F degrees for 4 hours the other day. I took it inside and while empty I turned it on and it took extra long for it to get to a bright orange glow. I then was able to get 2-3 good hits off it once it was warmed up. I don't think the battery will lose power when cold but instead take longer for them to work properly as they warm up while in use.

I also need to boil mine. I am thinking about doing it every other day now just because I can. It works better, tastes better and is easy to do. I'll let it dry out while at work and have it waiting for me when I get home.

PB88123,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Still cannot remove my heater core by hand (or using something to grip it) Is it okay to throw the bowl/delrin sleeve and heater core into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes? Or would it just be safer to use ISO 91 to wipe out bowl and let residual ISO evap into the air before use? Any help with this would be great!

Bluntcrush,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Try to heat it up maybe it will be looser? Or if that doesn't work maybe throw it in the freezer? That part is a pain to remove and I always cut up my fingers on the threads. I guess I should watch the video, hopefully there is a good way to remove it. Off to watch it now.

EDIT: ouch. He removes it with his fingers like I do. I think someone mentioned putting a rubberband around the bowl and use that to grip? It's the friction with the rubber seal inside that makes it so hard to turn and take off.

sessnet,

PB88123

Vaporist
Bluntcrush said:
Still cannot remove my heater core by hand (or using something to grip it) Is it okay to throw the bowl/delrin sleeve and heater core into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes? Or would it just be safer to use ISO 91 to wipe out bowl and let residual ISO evap into the air before use? Any help with this would be great!

Read what OF said below.

PB88123,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Thanks again guys!! I'll try these methods...I definitely will not boil the switch! :lol: I am thinking about getting a spare core for my arsenal. I always like having extra parts "just in case" :uhoh:

Bluntcrush,

OF

sessnet said:
I think someone mentioned putting a rubberband around the bowl and use that to grip? It's the friction with the rubber seal inside that makes it so hard to turn and take off.

That would be me. It works fine (or I wouldn't suggest it i I guess....).

I use a largish band like might come on the mail. It goes six or seven times around the vee under the lip, basically filling it up, but touching only the top part (above the parting line). The rubber mass sticks up higher than the metal, you grab that in one hand and the main body in the other. There's a (dry) o-ring just under the parting line that will fight you for a turn or two until it clears.

A tiny drop of VG will make it go together very easy, no need to be too tight.

OF

Edit: I don't think boiling or heat will do any good. The metals are the same so differential expansion (like fitting the delrin to the body) is not a factor. Likewise, there's no fouling to soften. I think all you'll do is make it harder to hold onto. OF

OF,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Thanks OF! So VG can work as a lubricant, like oil...

My cut-up fingers will thank you. Those threads are razor sharp and show no mercy.

sessnet,

OF

sessnet said:
Thanks OF! So VG can work as a lubricant, like oil...

My cut-up fingers will thank you. Those threads are razor sharp and show no mercy.

Yup, sort of an oil that can't hurt you. Yep, they were sharp before they got the Nickle plate. Makes 'em sharper.....and harder....

Tell your fingers to save their thanks. There gonna need all the energy and performance they can muster to deal with the upcoming loading duties I'm thinking.....

OF

OF

OF,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I mentioned earlier that since I have arthritis I use grip gloves and they work great for so many things. Like opening jars and boxes and dis-assembly and reassembly of the TV . . . etc. basically any time I have to work with my hands I put these on. The feel and dexterity is excellent and they don't get warm because of the breathable mesh that is utilized outside of the grip areas.

http://www.maxfitcomfort.com/

MF0001-2.jpg

t-dub,

Soulhunter

OMFG!!!
My order just went through customs, Monday then :)
Sweet mary jane mother off all and the holy shitt may the spirits guide u and keep you safe on the journey! :p

Now it kinda feels like i wil actualy get to try one of these :p Haha!
The e-liquid i ordered same day i ordered TV got here two days ago. So i have been running e-liquid through my buddah and vapor genie :p actualy works just fine :D hehe!

Soulhunter,

mongrel

hey, after a while with the thermovape i thought i'd share my experience.
this little vape is a pretty good opening act for a new vape mob. i had an issue with a faulty battery that made everything excessively hot. the unit still runs hot but is bearable... as mentioned somewhere in this big arsed thread, heat up time seems to be and logically so, dependent on ambient temps. it's been 95+ for a few weeks here and the tv vapes rapidly like a rabbit rooting and the trunk heats up rapidly too! it gets very warm. i understand the manufacturers are looking at other materials to use and this is a good thing i think. maybe better contained heat dispersal not via the body of the tube could possibly lead to longer battery life. battery life is good enough for short stints... this vape has its place in my travel pack for medicant use.
in my less than humble opinion (imltho), this is not really a recreational vape. some will disagree. party boy's are gunna be flat out keeping the batteries up to the task. this opinion may or may not change when the wall power attachment happens. for me heat would be still be of a concern if left on too long. i myself am shopping for a log as my home vape.
i think a lot of vapes are far too expensive and this one imltho is in that category. it is good for what it is but ... everybody will draw their own conclusions as to its value. the early adopter usually pays more but i cannot really find a reason that i would consider fair, for this to be so. i accept this though... i do not have to click the purchase button just because the lure of a more efficient delivery system sparks me into action.
all in all a good addition to your vape choices and delivers the goods as it's supposed to with little fuss. getting a little k-mart on the prices would be welcome i reckon. medicinal users are sometimes poor due to ill health and circumstance and could possibly use a price break*. this mob do remind me of a little golden (maybe red) delicious megastore.
mongrel
* i am not angling for a cheap vape!

mongrel,

Dopevape

i think a lot of vapes are far too expensive and this one imltho is in that category. it is good for what it is but ...

you're right Mongrel but I have to disaggree on the part that this one is pretty groundbreaking when it comes to portable vapes!

-This is a market that hasn't been around for very long and its still growing. More and more people are getting ideas about vaporising and maybe some of us would be stupid not to jump on the train. I for one am happy to pay for a little technology thats doing what it is supposed to. They earned the right to ask what they ask :). This is with all new things... at first they seem very expensive.. but u gotta stop and think about the time they needed to consieve the whole project :). They need a base to build on and thats what they are doing with the high prices at first. It is expensive now but will become cheaper as time goes by ... Like someone said before in this thread "I feel like a vape pioneer yo". That is just what we are pioneers in this whole thing :). So are the products and the people who make them atm this is big and booming buissness.

-About the Thermovape, this is the first real portable convection vape! The only one I know it gets close to is the verdamper(own it) cause it basically works same way :D. Without the water filter+cooling.
It still doesn't hit the same but for a portable it does hit like a champ getting me there in a few hits :). The battery life is a big bummer tho and doesn't cut it for big user like me so ill have to cut down a bit till i get more batteries and an extra charger. but all in all this is a lifechanger for sure and i am willing to work around the battery issue that is how much i like it :).

Some minor things:
-Taste wise there is a littel break in period im guessing since i was aware of some second hand taste that i could not recognise but as time passed it went along with it. Maybe it was the Bonding material at the base where the Thermocoil is screwed in? Yes also with me it came loose (I am guessing because of the heat) and is almost impossible to get right again unless u remove the Delrin sleeve around the chamber where the coil is housed in, the only way i could get it to tighten up again. Its fine now :).

-Also the breathing holes in Delrin Sleeve are not pointed exactly onto the holes(only one of them is drilled correct) that are made in the metal casing , again the room where the thermocoil is screwed in. I don't really now if this is an issue i removed the sleeve to see if it was the case but im not really sure... u need the sleeve to protect ur skin from the heat.
Anyway no real biggies here that i could not solve the vape is working as intended and I love it.

greetz

Dopevape,

Stone__Man

@ses @PB @OF @tvapes @meph

Thank you all for the detailed info, much appreciated ;)

I'm still flabbergasted :o particularly by the #'s holy moly ! :o Being that vapes (compared to um... combustion ;) devices ) are more expensive once u go past the, use a ton of butane to heat the pipe variety of vapes. I simply did not consider it and THAT is why I feel so stupid :ko: now, that I didn't at least consider vapes and do a bit of research, I naively assumed it were simply just a different way of "gettin' the goods :D " . again these percentages leave me flabbergasted. WOW!

There is one question of your reply OF this bit, I read and reread and I don't want to assume that I know what you are saying. I catch what you are saying with nearly everything you write. but this bit no....

Is it saying that the TV has half the efficiency, or twice as efficient? as comparable to the aforementioned vapes?

OF said:
Not all vapes are as efficient as PD and MFLB (in fact I think my TV might be using about half again what I would use there for the same results), but they are all way better than burning.

@t-dub :) thx for sharing the glove info, first I have seen them as soon as I seen, still have good dexterity, I was sold. My wife currently has the same issues as you, they come in pink ? lol JK man she HATES pink (thank god as I do too lol ) . Gonna check their site and see if this would work for use while hiking (I use two poles) just so long as they don't hold perspiration (heavy work out type), they could be golden. TY ;)

Stone__Man,

OF

Dopevape said:
-Also the breathing holes in Delrin Sleeve are not pointed exactly onto the holes(only one of them is drilled correct) that are made in the metal casing , again the room where the thermocoil is screwed in. I don't really now if this is an issue i removed the sleeve to see if it was the case but im not really sure... u need the sleeve to protect ur skin from the heat.

Not to worry. That's the way it's designed. If one of the outer holes happens to line up, no big deal but the design doesn't depend on 'clocking' or other alignments. In fact the opposite. Next time you have it apart you'll notice the core body is 'relieved' (that is smaller) in the center? Also, you can feel lips inside the Delrin sleeve that seals off an area between the sleeve and the heat core body center section. Air enters this space from the holes in the sleeve, swirls around as needed to exit the inner cores into the heat chamber proper. The idea is to break up the direct flow so it doesn't blast through the heat chamber and not heat evenly.

Stone__Man said:
There is one question of your reply OF this bit, I read and reread and I don't want to assume that I know what you are saying. I catch what you are saying with nearly everything you write. but this bit no....

Is it saying that the TV has half the efficiency, or twice as efficient? as comparable to the aforementioned vapes?

OF said:
Not all vapes are as efficient as PD and MFLB (in fact I think my TV might be using about half again what I would use there for the same results), but they are all way better than burning.

Not to worry, no need to guess, happy to try again. I confuse lotsa guys, trust me.

Without getting into a half full/half empty issue, as I define efficiency I think Log Vapes and the LB (amongst others) have a slight advantage as they are most frugal. They will 'do the job' using the smaller charge of herb. For some guys dozens of sessions from a gram even. For whatever reason (I think you loose some THC 'getting it right' for instance) some vapes are more efficient (use less for the same result) than others. But compared to burning it's so far ahead of the game it doesn't matter to most guys.

Bottom line is I think most guys up their sessions when they discover vaping. This is natural. Most still report that their specific consumption (grams per week say) drops to half or less. A similar drop (to half that level) is possible if you switch from say a table top box to and more efficient vape. Go from serious blunt smoker to diehard vaper and you'll not only live longer but save a pile of bucks on weed. Your call.

OF

OF,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

sessnet said:
weedemon said:
y
I used your suggestion about using my REV tip for my TV1 and i agree the air restriction seems to help with keeping the heat in the chance and maybe giving me better rips! :)

Nice! I asked ThermoVape if they can make a metal Rev tip (so I can use it with my herb chamber). A metal mouthpiece would also go nice with the Revolution in its "birthday suit".

I have the metal tip for the T1 whick looks way better then the black delrin. But it gets way too hot and burns my lips. Save yourself the $10 bucks.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

mongrel

Dopevape said:
i think a lot of vapes are far too expensive and this one imltho is in that category. it is good for what it is but ...

you're right Mongrel but I have to disaggree on the part that this one is pretty groundbreaking when it comes to portable vapes!
greetz

not at all sure i agree mate, but i promise not to crack the shits ;)
seems to me that the manufacturers of car cigarette lighters had this simple tech. going on decades ago but running off a big arsed battery.
that's not to belittle the tv. a lot of effort and i'm sure cost went into refining this little vape. it is a ripper but after having more time to look at this vape...a new direction maybe but ground breaking... ummmm!
mongrel

mongrel,

ctweips

Im so anxious to find out when we can expect to see a power adapter... will make this product just that much more groundbreaking

ctweips,

Stone__Man

@OF thanks ;) I think I now read it as you intended, put across in your considerate way. ;) :cool:

which makes me wonder why there is not a, how to call it? an efficiency rating system, much like vehicle gas mileage ratings, they give the seller a bit of 'fudge' room but can not overly exaggerate their mileage claims to a greater degree. I hope something like that comes along, as in this market (and it surely will) many may CLAIM better efficiency than the next guy, in totally unsubstantiated ways. As the market grows, makers will surely create or try to create an advantage over the other guy in any way they can, be they real, false or flat out lies to lure you in. And it is already happening in less than admirable ways, in my limited research I have been led to believe half truths and lies via spoken word. It's bound to happen more and more as time passes and the market gets over saturated. It makes me sad and angry to realize this. therefore my posting. I'm fairly certain an efficiency rating system, will never see the light of day, but I can dream cant' I? :brow: ;)

The good thing for us as consumers is it will serve to drive the prices down.

I will watch with keen interest for info from TV team and following user feedback on the Power adapter.

Stone__Man,

OF

You're welcome, glad to help.

While nice, I wouldn't hold my breath for such a system. We have no Underwriter's Labs or EPA to fall back on. Nor do we have 'standardized bud' to test with. And then there are too many variables in use to make it at all easy. Look how much trouble we go to for a lousy MPG rating for cars that's famous for being off?

For now, I think we need to educate ourselves and each other.

OF

OF,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I've noticed that the temperature of the unit itself has quite an impact on performance.

From a cold start (meaning TV hasn't been used and is at room temp) the first bowl is dificult to get good vapor. The 3rd and 4th hits seem to give the best hits for me, but the first few rips are not very satisfactory at times. However I have noticed that if the unit is already pretty warm all over - like say after a bowl was just finished - then fresh bowls give much better results right from the very beginning. I really like the first hit off of a fresh bowl that has been "pre-heated" as compared to the first session off of a cold start.

I now use an extra set of batteries for a "cold start" session. Use 2 batts to warm the sucker up, then swap them out and load the fresh herb. The first set of batteries charge back up pretty quickly, so it doesn't fuck up my rotation at all.

The difference is quite noticable.

:2c:

Stu,
Wonderful advice and info here! Thank you. :)

I wish I could have grown to enjoy my Thermovape but I have no tolerance for the batteries and regardless of the learning curve, the performance is disappointing and combustion is still an option. Unlike the Rock Zap which conserves, gives great clouds, offers good healing affects and never combusts.

I REALLY wanted to love this product, I really did, but for me it requires too much high maintenance for too little a high affect. JMHO by experience.

PsychicMedium,
Top Bottom