Discontinued Thermovape Luna

Would you like to see A looseleaf version of the Luna?

• Total voters

Severmore

While I love my Luna, it's been into TET twice now...and it stopped working again last night =(

This may not be your guys' issue, but I find if I clean the screw head/post on the EO cart with sandpaper (I know...probably not smart) that the cart will fire up again like new! At least for a few button pushes. After awhile the cart will stop working again. When I remove it from the Luna body, there is clearly material that has transferred from the silver coated switch plate to the screw head/post on the EO cart! This metallic material (silver oxide?) on the cartridge post prevents the proper amount of current from reaching the heating element. Once the material transfer has occurred from the Luna, the cart will also be dead on the Cera...until I sandpaper the post again.

This is not ideal, and I would've thought TET would've identified this problem much earlier on. Very frustrating to drop $350 on a beautiful unit that doesn't work. Every time I've received it back from TET, my Luna works wonders for my first load and several hits...then back to cleaning the cart post.

Next time I want TET to hang onto my unit and test it repeatedly for several days to mimic several sessions. I have no doubt that they'd be able to recapitulate my issue, as it's happened consistently ever since I purchased the Luna in March. Even with two 're-sizings/shimmings' and one new switch plate.

Can anyone else confirm a similar situation? Thanks!

SDsurfer

Yup, mine does it. It's been back for it once, I just haven't gotten around to taking it back again. Something's not quite right yet.

Sounds like you've either got it over loaded or not absorbed in well, there shouldn't be enough liquid on the top plate to get sucked anywhere.

OF

Sometimes the wax doesnt fully melt in and I have to help it along with a lighter...Ill try loading it with smaller amounts, maybe I am overdoing it. I usually put in a half-pea sized amount.

Severmore

Sometimes the wax doesnt fully melt in and I have to help it along with a lighter...Ill try loading it with smaller amounts, maybe I am overdoing it. I usually put in a half-pea sized amount.
Look at the bottom post on your EO cart...do you notice any dark metallic blemishes?

Severmore,

SDsurfer

They're 1/2" and I bought them from a body jewelry shop on eBay.

Are you melting your wax into the ceramic before hitting it? I like to use a micro-therm heat gun while pulsing the button to melt whatever I'm loading down into the ceramic so the ceramic is saturated. It hits the hardest while the cart is still hot from from the loading process.

Yea sometimes I have to do that.....I definitely helps. I just wish the loading chamber was bigger, it seems like the mouthpiece smashes the wax up against the ceramic. But maybe that's the point...

SDsurfer,

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
While I love my Luna, it's been into TET twice now...and it stopped working again last night =(

This may not be your guys' issue, but I find if I clean the screw head/post on the EO cart with sandpaper (I know...probably not smart) that the cart will fire up again like new! At least for a few button pushes. After awhile the cart will stop working again. When I remove it from the Luna body, there is clearly material that has transferred from the silver coated switch plate to the screw head/post on the EO cart! This metallic material (silver oxide?) on the cartridge post prevents the proper amount of current from reaching the heating element. Once the material transfer has occurred from the Luna, the cart will also be dead on the Cera...until I sandpaper the post again.

This is not ideal, and I would've thought TET would've identified this problem much earlier on. Very frustrating to drop $350 on a beautiful unit that doesn't work. Every time I've received it back from TET, my Luna works wonders for my first load and several hits...then back to cleaning the cart post.

Next time I want TET to hang onto my unit and test it repeatedly for several days to mimic several sessions. I have no doubt that they'd be able to recapitulate my issue, as it's happened consistently ever since I purchased the Luna in March. Even with two 're-sizings/shimmings' and one new switch plate.

Yeah that's exactly what happened with my unit and several others. Supposedly tet needs to properly shim the cart to fit the Luna body or else arcing occurs which I believe is actually melting the silver plating to the screw head. Look at the contact on your Luna body ... I bet your missing some chunks of silver off the contact.

SDsurfer

Look at the bottom post on your EO cart...do you notice any dark metallic blemishes?

Yes. Some sort of crust builds up on both the switch plate and the screw head. I dont need to sand it though...I can scrape it off with my fingernail...I am not sure why this is happening to mine, I ordered it after the replating...I actually had to wait awhile because of this 'new plating process' so I figured I had a resolved version, guess not.

SDsurfer,

Severmore

Yeah that's exactly what happened with my unit and several others. Supposedly tet needs to properly shim the cart to fit the Luna body or else arcing occurs which I believe is actually melting the silver plating to the screw head. Look at the contact on your Luna body ... I bet your missing some chunks of silver off the contact.
Absolutely...but what drives me nuts is that it has been back to TET twice now! The first time my cart was shimmed, and my switch plate replaced. The second time my cart was re-shimmed...same problem upon return.

MHL, does you Luna now work every time, all the time?

Yes. Some sort of crust builds up on both the switch plate and the screw head. I dont need to sand it though...I can scrape it off with my fingernail...I am not sure why this is happening to mine, I ordered it after the replating...I actually had to wait awhile because of this 'new plating process' so I figured I had a resolved version, guess not.
When you scrape it off with your fingernail, does the cart improve in function?

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

MileHighLife

Yea sometimes I have to do that.....I definitely helps. I just wish the loading chamber was bigger, it seems like the mouthpiece smashes the wax up against the ceramic. But maybe that's the point...

You want to melt the wax into the ceramic until you can't see it any more ... it drops down into the body of the cart, saturating the ceramic. When you put the mouthpiece back on there should be nothing in the cup up above the ceramic.

Absolutely...but what drives me nuts is that it has been back to TET twice now! The first time my cart was shimmed, and my switch plate replaced. The second time my cart was re-shimmed...same problem upon return.

MHL, does you Luna now work every time, all the time?

Yeah it has fired up every single time since I got it back from tet.

OF

I've had it and all my EO carts in for fitting, and still the issue persists. Bugs me because I can't tie it down. I've rigged up a current meter to put in place of the tail cap so I can demonstrate it. The same battery and cart that runs close to 4 Amps in my Cera can be that in Luna or (in the other mode) half or less. You can take it apart and get different results.

I refuse to start sanding contact surfaces, that need says something else is not right yet.

Some seem to work quite well, so I'm confident there's a solution. Now that I've got the meter to take over, perhaps they'll sort it out?

OF

SDsurfer

You want to melt the wax into the ceramic until you can't see it any more ... it drops down into the body of the cart, saturating the ceramic. When you put the mouthpiece back on there should be nothing in the cup up above the ceramic.

Yeah it has fired up every single time since I got it back from tet.
Gotcha,
I notice better hits if i spin or hold it at different angles, maybe the oil rolls around in there and hits all the ceramics' surface area

When you scrape it off with your fingernail, does the cart improve in function?

Sorry for the double post.

Yes but for only a few sessions....Ive had to do this a few times.

SDsurfer

Is anyone concerned about the use of Teflon in the new mouthpieces?
If it does contain perfluorooctanoic acid like most teflon does, it can be a concern because it is considered a carcinogen when heated.

SDsurfer,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Is anyone concerned about the use of Teflon in the new mouthpieces?
If it does contain perfluorooctanoic acid like most teflon does, it can be a concern because it is considered a carcinogen when heated.

There is no way the Teflon in the MP reaches the temperatures that are considered a concern: 250° C (482° F).

showman

Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to "push out the safety clip that sits between the vaporizer body and the power button?" I got some startup instructions from Zeki today, but I can't figure out how this is supposed to be accomplished. Sorry if this is a dumb or trivial question, but for whatever reason this is eluding me. Would very much appreciate some help here if anyone knows what I'm missing.

MileHighLife

Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to "push out the safety clip that sits between the vaporizer body and the power button?" I got some startup instructions from Zeki today, but I can't figure out how this is supposed to be accomplished. Sorry if this is a dumb or trivial question, but for whatever reason this is eluding me. Would very much appreciate some help here if anyone knows what I'm missing.

You see how it's a semi circle piece of plastic wrapped around the base of the button? Using 1 or 2 thumbs press on the open side of the circle clip and it will snap off of the button.

showman

Just to give my quick review- I got a Luna Liquid (the 7.4 V) and so far, it works better than any other "Electronic Cigarette"/Liquid Vaporizer that I've yet tried. The tank is really nice and appears fairly leakproof in contrast with other tanks I've used. I've actually had no problems with the switch (once MileHigh helped me figure out how to remove the safety ring!). The unit looks quite good in person- while it is somewhat heavier than I expected, I like its solidity.

I do want to ask for anyone who knows: would I need the separate 3.7 V battery, and separate oil tank for co2 or bho?

Top Bottom