Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
How does it introduce moisture. Thanks for correcting me OF. I just like to learn.

Dreamerr,

jpdnkstr

Both have a ceramic disc (smooth flow has a larger ceramic disc, but no filter) they require a drop or so of water, I put mine in an empty visine bottle. You need to drop every few draws or so.(at least my experience with the Pureflow)

jpdnkstr,
Reactions: prk

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
You can also use a "charging extension" which is still 510->510 but much longer.
Here's the first one in Google (not where I got mine) - like "shorty"s, they come sealed and unsealed (sealed is better for _us_):
http://stormysvaporcellar.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=643

-NDA
is this adapter from the site posted sealed or unsealed? Looking unsealed to me, do you have a link to the one you use? All the other ones I've found on google seem to have pictures of holes in the bottom which mean unsealed? Thanks for your time. Could really use an extension that works.

kushcabbage,
is this adapter from the site posted sealed or unsealed? Looking unsealed to me, do you have a link to the one you use? All the other ones I've found on google seem to have pictures of holes in the bottom which mean unsealed? Thanks for your time. Could really use an extension that works.
The ones I got don't seem available currently, but these (while a little shorter at 5/8") should work about as well:
http://shop.vaporheads.net/510-to-510-Sealed-Drip-Shield-Adapter-510ad.htm

BTW. Good prices here on Twist batteries. I've switched and now use Twists for my LV DARTs most of the time. They deliver 4v volts UNDER LOAD when set to 4v or higher (current limited to about 2.5 Amps) on a DART with no changes in performance until the battery runs out. They do get hot with the DART attached but work great - A 1000mAh model lasted through about 1/2g before charging today; The 650mAh doesn't last as long, but fits in a shirt pocket with the DART without protruding - very useful.

-NDA

2clicker

Observer
who here has been running a TV tru-flow UFO mouthpiece directly into their Evo w/out the insulating sleeve?

thinking about pressing a UFO into one of my standard MPs and giving it a go. im tired of fiddling with the screen that i put on top to keep the load down against the heater and in place. im thinking the UFO may stick far enough down in there to serve the same perpose. then i wont have a separate little screen to deal with every time i load/unload my Evo.

and am i remembering correctly that someone had a MP melt on them going this route...?

im still really loving my LV Evo. when heated up properly it rips big time. i just wish the TV base had a constant on switch or setting. holding the switch up the entire session is a PITA. ive been toying with rubber bands and velcro straps holding the switch up for me. and it has worked well, but sort of awkward and doesnt look great. i hope TV is working on that 18650 base and includes something like this with it.

2clicker,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
who here has been running a TV tru-flow UFO mouthpiece directly into their Evo w/out the insulating sleeve?

thinking about pressing a UFO into one of my standard MPs and giving it a go. im tired of fiddling with the screen that i put on top to keep the load down against the heater and in place. im thinking the UFO may stick far enough down in there to serve the same perpose. then i wont have a separate little screen to deal with every time i load/unload my Evo.

and am i remembering correctly that someone had a MP melt on them going this route...?

im still really loving my LV Evo. when heated up properly it rips big time. i just wish the TV base had a constant on switch or setting. holding the switch up the entire session is a PITA. ive been toying with rubber bands and velcro straps holding the switch up for me. and it has worked well, but sort of awkward and doesnt look great. i hope TV is working on that 18650 base and includes something like this with it.

that technique works for me.

I dont comprehend why they shipped it with that large sleeve when it so negatively effects the performance of the device.

ru_frothi,

hanfhead

is high

I just got an extended ufo to try directly in the evo core and it really halves the already small bowlhead. I got it because I can't get consistent hits with the sleeve and kept burning my lips with just the short tip. I was able to get hits with the ufo piece and it is nice that all the herb doesn't suck up into the sleeve, but you have to be careful not to pack too much or it will push it down too tight. I also got a normal extended mouthpiece and will probably end up using that.

I gauged the depth and put my oring near the bottom of the bowl to show.

XrUxNl.jpg

2clicker

Observer
I just got an extended ufo to try directly in the evo core and it really halves the already small bowlhead. I got it because I can't get consistent hits with the sleeve and kept burning my lips with just the short tip. I was able to get hits with the ufo piece and it is nice that all the herb doesn't suck up into the sleeve, but you have to be careful not to pack too much or it will push it down too tight. I also got a normal extended mouthpiece and will probably end up using that.

I gauged the depth and put my oring near the bottom of the bowl to show.

yeah i did the same with the bottom of the bowl and the oring placement. then i put the just now UFO'd MP next to it just like in your pic and it seems perfect to me. my normal Evo load is anywhere between .1 - .2g. and then i usually pack it down to keep it in place.

i really wish TV had a mouthpiece that included a telescopic UFO/screen or a UFO/screen on a spring of sorts... that would keep the load held down in place, and it automatically adjusts to the load size. using the UFO'd MP does this, but is a fixed size and would limit load size to a degree. i think i will load my Evo by letting herb fall into the core to the brim, tapping a couple times to get it to settle, top it off, and then pop the MP back on letting the UFO compress the load down. ill bet that will work well.

so no reports of any MP melting using it directly on the Evo core?

2clicker,

Nic

I recently ordered an Alpha + LV Evo Core Only + PTFE UFO. The PTFE UFO is the mouthpiece the TV site recommends for direct Evo core use, so I figured it was a good place to start. Bring on the heat. Not bumming about the reduced volume from the UFO. I think short and sweet will be the best way to enjoy this, especially on an Alpha. I may regret not getting the extended PTFE UFO though... I'll post some comments/reactions soon!

EDIT: Extended PTFE UFOs may not exist. They have extended UFOs but it appears only in delrin. My mistake. I'm thinking that may be a fun addition to the lineup...

Nic,

2clicker

Observer
I recently ordered an Alpha + LV Evo Core Only + PTFE UFO. The PTFE UFO is the mouthpiece the TV site recommends for direct Evo core use, so I figured it was a good place to start. Bring on the heat. Not bumming about the reduced volume from the UFO. I think short and sweet will be the best way to enjoy this, especially on an Alpha. I may regret not getting the extended PTFE UFO though... I'll post some comments/reactions soon!

can you link me to the extended PTFE UFOs? i can only find the standard length.

2clicker,

OF

I dont comprehend why they shipped it with that large sleeve when it so negatively effects the performance of the device.

But from other perspectives it works better. I understand the 'huge clouds' guys find the extra losses acceptable in that they allow yet more hot air to be pulled in for yet more vapor, but most of us, I think, are not pushing the envelope. We're looking for the drug to be delivered at a slower and less aggressive rate, favoring taste and longer battery life as well. Not to mention the protection from burns.

As I understand it, it originally didn't have an insulating sleeve. And I think I recall being told there was a different model sleeve earlier on. I was given a later prototype to test for them, it came with the sleeve, but that (with or without) was one of the things I was asked to evaluate. I found it to be no advantage to the way I used it, and a bit harder to keep 'in the zone' for the relaxed 'sipping sessions' I prefer. I'd hate to think it was my fault.....I tend to think they had done most of that testing and evaluations before I was brought into the discussion?

Can't be all things to all people, lucky for us they support individualization of their products so well. Isn't it?

OF

OF,

2clicker

Observer
EDIT: Extended PTFE UFOs may not exist. They have extended UFOs but it appears only in delrin. My mistake. I'm thinking that may be a fun addition to the lineup...

ive never used the PTFE MP before... does it slow the heat considerably more than the delrin?

im going to be using some sort of high temp silicone tubing over the outside of whatever MP i go with. ive tried this already and it seems to hold off the surface heat (of the MP) quite a bit longer. i would like to see TV offer their MPs with an extreme high temp rubber exterior/coating. im using self adhesive textured rubber pad on my TV battery sleeve and it keeps my thumb from getting hot at all. in fact the outer delrin sleeve gets hotter than the pad on the battery sleeve now during sessions. i will likely be using something to cover that as well.

2clicker,

Here you go, 2clicker! This method has completely altered the Evo for me. I had the exact same complaints you have, and this method, I get great sessions that are so much more fruitful AND pleasant. The base still gets pretty hot. You can go through the next few pages to see how I used leather strips to create an insulated handle. Works perfectly and looks not bad.

Enjoy!

ThermoVape Evolution

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: ru_frothi

2clicker

Observer
thanks dude! i remember reading that stuff, but still haven't tried the rotary method yet. for whatever reason it did not appeal to me. maybe it was because i dont like the idea of the Evo interface being loose when not in use. i suppose i should just try it out.

2clicker,

TonyBlaze

I use my SV Evo with the sleeve on and seems work fine for me. I don't get 'huge' clouds but i do get some decent size ones that taste great and with 2 bowls I get pretty lit. I haven't tried it without the sleeve because I haven't felt the need too.

Are you guys getting much bigger cloud production without it?

OF

I use my SV Evo with the sleeve on and seems work fine for me.

I haven't tried it without the sleeve because I haven't felt the need too.

Congrats, glad you like it, neat machine for sure. I've tried it both ways, and prefer it as shipped.

Yes, removing the insulation increases the losses (duh...) meaning you can put more power into the system without overheating the lot. Like opening the windows will let you build a bigger fire in the fireplace. As a side issue, didja know Nixon used to do just that in the White House? Run the AC flat out so he could build a big fire....he liked big fires I guess?

Anyway, more power gives you more potential to make vapor (and be harder to control of course) at the expense of battery life and vapor quality (no free lunches here, either). You get to decide if it's a good trade off for you. I think most users are better served with the heat shield.

OF

Vape N Bake

Disturbed
I run mine as shipped and I am very happy with it's performance. It's not as good as a desktop, but for a portable it sure gets me medicated!

Vape N Bake,
Reactions: OF

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
I use my SV Evo with the sleeve on and seems work fine for me. I don't get 'huge' clouds but i do get some decent size ones that taste great and with 2 bowls I get pretty lit. I haven't tried it without the sleeve because I haven't felt the need too.

I can't speak for others but I certainly do get much better clouds and vapor production without the sleeve. Battery life suffers slightly but still more than enough for a few bowls.

ru_frothi,
Reactions: OF

2clicker

Observer
im getting about 1.5 to 2 bowls per cell charge, but i leave the switch on the entire session. of which is usually around 4-6 mins. im running the MP with the UFO. the sleeve i added is high temp silicone. it works as well as the TV sleeves, but does not reduce performance. it also serves to mate with a 18mm dstem.

this is my current setup
Evosetup.jpg

jambandphan03

in flavor country
do you have a link for that silicone? I ordered some a while back but it was way too thick. Really liking the thumb pad too... got a link to that material?

jambandphan03,

2clicker

Observer
do you have a link for that silicone? I ordered some a while back but it was way too thick. Really liking the thumb pad too... got a link to that material?

mcmastercarr.com

high temp silicone tubing = # 5119K45

as for the thumb pad... i used an adhesive backed textured rubber sheet that i had from some experimenting in the past. its not high temp but it still works well.

if i were to do it again i would look into these options as they are specifically high temp.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#adhesive-backed-protective-foam-rubber/=iw70as

*edit* and just so you know. you dont have to buy the full amount from that site. you can put like .25 or .5 in the quantity if you want for most items. especially the raw materials.

karazi

I had some leftover velcro tape from Staples so I stuck the fuzzy side to the barrel and my thumb no longer burns when holding the switch. This needs to be officially addressed, without a DIY solution the experience is painful, and embarrassing if medicating with others.

karazi,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Nice to see that the discussion about alternate methods of using the Evo has come up again. Most here seem to prefer to use the Evo as designed, but I'm one of the ones that prefers not to use the standard Delrin Insulating Sleeve. I never managed to get what I consider reasonable hits with the standard setup. I tried everything that was suggested, did tests to figure out where the air path might have a leak, but nothing helped. I was beginning to think I had a weak Evo core. Then one day I just put a mouthpiece directly into the top of the Evo core, not using the insulating sleeve at all, and the Evo went from being a huge disappointment to a great pleasure. Clean hits just like my T1, with no stirring required, and no endless cleaning of the holes in the T1 cap. I enjoyed it so much that I stopped using my T1 for a few weeks. (I go back and forth these days, alternating between my T1 and Evo and DART, depending on my mood and circumstance).

I did a bunch of experimenting with the Evo setup and settled on what works the best for me. It required modifying the standard Delrin Insulating Sleeve and switching to a UFO based extended Delrin mouthpiece. Here's the story.

I started out with the bare SV Evo core screwed into a T1 battery base with an Insulated adapter, the adapter that allows you to screw in the Evo core into the T1 base, not to be confused with the Delrin Insulating Sleeve, which is mentioned from here on.

Pic1.png

I was using my white PTFE mouthpiece to start, as I wasn't sure if the Delrin mouthpiece could take the heat involved with direct connection to the core. I was getting great hits, and loving my Evo, but I was getting bits of botanicals in my mouth with every hit, as there was no screen of any kind in the vapor path. As I got more and more medicated, I also started putting up with burning my fingers on the very hot Evo core now and then. The first time I burned my lips on the top of the metal core by taking too much of the very small PTFE mouthpiece into my mouth, I realized that I had to figure out a better way.

So I switched to the extended Delrin mouthpiece to keep my lips away from the core, and checked repeatedly to make sure the Delrin wasn't melting or deforming, and that the O-Ring was holding up. It's been fine for months of heavy use. Then I ordered a UFO equipped extended Delrin mouthpiece from TV, and that took care of the little bits of herb that were in every hit. The UFO doesn't significantly effect the draw, with the heaviest restriction on air flow still being the intake holes in the bottom of the Evo core above the 501 threads.

Finally, I was still burning my fingers on the core now and then, so it came time to hack the standard Delrin Insulating Sleeve. When I ordered the extended Delrin mouthpiece with UFO, I also ordered a couple of extra insulating sleeves. I asked TV to not press the UFO into the top of the sleeves, as I was planning on cutting the top off, and that's where the UFO lives. They were happy to oblige, and they even included the UFOs loose with the sleeves, which was really great as it allowed me to add the UFOs to some of the other extra mouthpieces I already had. ThermoEssence is really the best. They go out of their way to be really useful to their customers, and they're a pleasure to deal with. They honor bizarre requests, and are happy to help you if there's something you want that isn't on their web site. You want five orange O-Rings instead of an assortment?, just ask. If you've you made medicating a way of life ("It's not just a hobby"), there is no better company to deal with.

So I took a knife and carefully cut the top part off a standard Delrin Insulating Sleeve. Then I took a small Dremel grinder and smoothed out the rough edges on the top, and voila.

Pic4.png

Here's what you can see in the picture above. On the left is the standard Evo setup with the supplied short Delrin mouthpiece. The sleeve goes over the core, and the mouthpiece goes into the sleeve. The sleeve has a UFO built into the top, so no particulate matter goes into your mouth. Next is the setup with the same mouthpiece, inserted directly into the Evo core, with the modified Delrin Insulating Sleeve on the outside of the core. The mouthpiece doesn't even touch the modified sleeve. To the right of them is a view from the top looking down, so you can see how the sleeve fits around the core, and how the mouthpiece sits in the top of the core. This is with the white PTFE mouthpiece, which is the same size as the short black Delrin mouthpiece in the other pictures to the left. I used the white one for this picture because it shows more clearly what is going on. The silver ring you can just see around the white mouthpiece is the top of the Evo core, and the black around that is the top of the modified insulator sleeve where I chopped off the top.

Some interesting tidbits about all this.

Pic5.png

If you look closely at the picture above, you can see the red O-Ring around the Evo core that's used to help hold the insulating sleeve in place, and to prevent air from getting in at the bottom of the sleeve, which would dilute the vapor coming from the core. The usual place for this O-Ring is one notch lower, but I put it there in the pictures because it shows where the bottom of the Evo herb chamber lies. This is the bottom of the "bowl" that holds your botanicals. When you use the Evo as designed, with the unmodified insulating sleeve, the whole top of the core is available to hold your weed. When you put a mouthpiece directly into the core (bypassing the insulating sleeve), you lose some of the available space at the top of the core. When you use a mouthpiece with a UFO pressed into the bottom, you lose even more space. A close look at the picture shows you exactly how much you lose. With a UFO equipped mouthpiece, your load size is about half what it would be with the standard Evo setup. For me, it's more than worth it, but it is something to be aware of.

Also something to be aware of is that a UFO equipped mouthpiece will only fit into the Evo core or the Rev/DART core. It won't fit into a T1 or the standard Evo insulating sleeve. It also won't fit into a Smooth-Flow or Pure-Flow.

The different mouthpieces and non-glass bong adapters have subtly different ends. On the end that fits into the core/cap there is a tiny extended lip around the standard length Delrin and PTFE mouthpieces that isn't around the extended length Delrin mouthpieces or the bong adapters. The lip makes the fit MUCH better, with no side to side wiggle possible. At least I think it's the lip. My extended Delrin mouthpiece doesn't have this lip, and it wiggles around. The Delrin/PTFE bong adapters don't even have a diameter increase, and can be inserted deep with nothing to stop them at all. HEY TIM: Next time you remake the molds, please include the lip around the circumference of all the mouthpieces; it makes the mouthpiece fit much better into whatever it's inserted. (Or if it's not the lip, something allows the extended Delrin mouthpiece to wiggle around when inserted in the core, while the shorties are a perfect wiggle-free fit).

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
mcmastercarr.com

high temp silicone tubing = # 5119K45

as for the thumb pad... i used an adhesive backed textured rubber sheet that i had from some experimenting in the past. its not high temp but it still works well.

if i were to do it again i would look into these options as they are specifically high temp.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#adhesive-backed-protective-foam-rubber/=iw70as

*edit* and just so you know. you dont have to buy the full amount from that site. you can put like .25 or .5 in the quantity if you want for most items. especially the raw materials.
Thanks for the pointer; I'm looking for the equivalent of an Evo insulating sleeve for my DART, and this may be the perfect thing! (The Evo insulating core is too big to fit the DART core).

Haywood,
Top Bottom