Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

NoName

Yeah this one is able to be used as a pretty interesting musical instrument.

I too have one of those (a mini-maracha). It is the second smooth flow that I purchased and rattled "as received" (it has not been cleaned nor used as of yet). However, my first smooth flow was iso soaked, well rinsed (but not boiled) and left to dry overnight before its first use and has never rattled (to the best of my knowledge) - AND HAS UNDERGONE 'RIGOROUS TESTING' (LOL). BTW, like another FC member, my first smooth flow was discolored when received (possibly during heat pressing process?) but of little concern since it works very well. It may be meaningless, but I mention this fact (discoloration) only because the second rattling smooth flow has no discoloration.

Would appreciate any info/cleaning tips from TV and fellow members. TIA.

NoName

NoName,
Reactions: darkrom

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I can't get visible vapor with my evolution in my bubbler :/

Any tips? I never really get much visible vapor with it even with 1 min preheat. Can anyone describe the difference in ideal technique between hitting t1 which I get nice big clouds to the evo?

I expected to like the evo better because of the water pipe design, but the connection isn't amazing so I'm sure I'll get the gong adapter for the t1. Might as well try to learn to use the evo better though.

I use mine directly in my 14mm female connection like this: one gasket works, put at the lower part of the heat core too... I just put 2 on there cause i had them. Smooth Flow cap w/out the mouth piece on top, mainly just to keep the herb in the chamber. One of the ufo disk mouth pieces would work too, or just a regular tip and a screen inside.

U7Fjs.jpg

usB2a.jpg

bigsnack

Anyone here using the ultraLite with the evo? How do you like it? Were you able to mod it to use a bigger battery?

bigsnack,

JoeKickass

Anyone here using the ultraLite with the evo? How do you like it? Were you able to mod it to use a bigger battery?

ultramax/t1 body is the minimum for the evolution, lv or sv

It will get hot, but not hot enough to vape...

JoeKickass,
Reactions: OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, the ultralite battery is just not powerful enough to do much with the Evo, you MIGHT get one hit before it drains the battery. The larger size T1 body w/ the sleeve is best used with the Evo.

jambandphan03,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Success Finally.....

been playing with the T1 for a few days with some success and decided to put it down and try the evo this evening. Loaded up with some killer OG and some nice cold water sand as a sandwhich like I might in my EQ or my Solo. Warmed it up maybed 30 seconds and started testing for vape... Good Flavor for the first time on this unit tonight followed by 3-4 nice hits of decent quality thickness. Then the unit got hot and I really couldn't get much vape and it was hot so I dumped the load. A little charred on the bottom but overall not done by a long shot yet I was getting no real vape?

noticed the hash was gone... maybe those nice clouds were the hash? or did the hash melt into the herb and cool it off?

anyways, dumped the load into my Solo on 5 and ran 1 complete 12 minute cycle getting a dozen plus clouds off this load. Timer shut the solo off as I was writing this post. Fired the solo back up to 5 and its still blowing clouds. I know the Solo is monster of efficiency and extraction but this is a bit much. Obvious I need some more practice with the Evo.

Glad I did achieve a break through and get 4 solid hits tonight.

EDIT: Finally after another 4 minutes the Solo the load is finally spent.

ru_frothi,
Reactions: Bart

bigsnack

How is the regular Alpha Ultra with the Evo attachment, specifically with the LR top as that's the only one that works. I read in the other thread the Ultra can't take the larger 900mah 14500 battery because it make the TV have less power and isn't fully adequate enough to properly bake the flower.

bigsnack,

OF

Success Finally.....

Glad I did achieve a break through and get 4 solid hits tonight.

Outstanding! Knew you could do it if you kept trying, thanks for the good news! A lot of guys with a lot less going for them than you have sorted it out you know. You're on the track, and IMO won't be denied.

How is the regular Alpha Ultra with the Evo attachment, specifically with the LR top as that's the only one that works. I read in the other thread the Ultra can't take the larger 900mah 14500 battery because it make the TV have less power and isn't fully adequate enough to properly bake the flower.

Marginal at best, although I do it sometimes when the mood strikes. You really need to be willing to swap batteries to do a bowl. Remember the full size is over three times the capacity and it too is sometimes short of steam here.

It's not a matter of 'can't take' as they will fit and work....just not as well usually. 'Not advised' is probably a better term?

OF

OF,

bigsnack

Then what good is the Ultra and UltraLite for if they don't work well(or at all in the case of the Lite) with the Evo? An overpriced, short battery e-cig?

bigsnack,

OF

Then what good is the Ultra and UltraLite for if they don't work well(or at all in the case of the Lite) with the Evo? An overpriced, short battery e-cig?

Ignoring for the moment some guys do other things beside Evolution, I think you've just discovered the secret for why TV uses a larger battery for their Evolution kits......

OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I use my ultralite for my LV dart and omicron cartridges. It's also good for e cig atomizers (AVA) I can see that the ultra would also work great for these, but not for the herb vapes, they require too much power. It's nice having variety. I can get maybe 20 - 25 hits from the dart on one battery w/ the ultralite, and it's super stealthy in size.

For the Evo, it pulls a lot more juice and needs a more powerful battery, as well as the heat that it puts out that makes the sleeve a must too IMO.

jambandphan03,

OF

Let me ask this then, has anyone used the EVO on the Omicron or Persei battery? Snacks-alot.

Omicron is not up to it. The upcoming 5 Amp upgrade might make it possible. Persei can, with an adapter, do it, but most find the TV supply smaller, cheaper and better for the job.

As a piece of free advice, you might consider backing off on the "snacks" bit, it's no longer as cute as it once was and it's just going to get in the way of communications IMO.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The trouble with the omicron is that it's switch is not rated high enough to handle any long term use or heat the Evo produces. You will eventually fry it, after just a few sessions. If you go back to the early part of this thread, there is discussion about how it messed up some of the commercial made ecig batteries and omicron. Just know that if you choose to try, you might get some success at first, but in the end, it will over power your battery circuit/button and fry it.

jambandphan03,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The trouble with the omicron is that it's switch is not rated high enough to handle any long term use or heat the Evo produces. You will eventually fry it, after just a few sessions. If you go back to the early part of this thread, there is discussion about how it messed up some of the commercial made ecig batteries and omicron. Just know that if you choose to try, you might get some success at first, but in the end, it will over power your battery circuit/button and fry it.
I was wondering about the VV mods and such myself. Good to know.

Is it the same for the strait forward cheap handles which use the "horn" type switch? I think the rating is 5 amp 12 volt.

Also, the Provari is suppose to support 3.5 Amp and the V2 even more. Long term troubles here as well?

I do know most VV mods like mine which is basically a Lava Tube crap out at 2.5 amp. I think the EVO is around the 3 amp mark??
Just curious.

Pipes

Pipes,

OF

The trouble with the omicron is that it's switch is not rated high enough to handle any long term use or heat the Evo produces.

Give the lady a cigar! No, make that a blunt.....

I think heat doesn't get enough credit for causing problems. That sucker transfers a lot of heat down through the connector (which is why TV put a heat shield on the interface as an upgrade....). Heat is the enemy to electronics. Stuff starts going strange as low as 70 C (160 F), push it higher and real fun can happen. Even the 'rock simple' switch and battery rigs seem to have issues for some, although I agree with Pipes when it comes to skating by on the cheap they might have an edge.

Be a bigger bummer, though, to have it bite the big one on you if you didn't have an alternative handy. Nobody likes being pissed when stuff breaks, but having it take away your fix at the same time can give it new dimensions. Get a little carried away enjoying it (maybe with a friend or two) and you could easily set yourself up.

You decide the risk, but I've never been that keen on the thin ice.

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So I figured out I've been heavily overpacking my evo. Basically I feel like I'm starting over with it now, and I'm able to get at least whispy vapor on my first try packing it much less. I'm off to a good start I suppose.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing many people could have had good results if they worked on their technique. My evo went from "not working" to working as expected. The only thing I had to fix was the defective user :D

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Haven't been packing mine. Still working on technique. Funny how my Solo doesn't need to retrain the user. It just works. Probably head to TV this afternoon for lessons.

ru_frothi,
I've been itching to add the evolution to my collection since it came out and lurking this thread but i kinda had a feeling the power adapter was on its way at least by july. I already own the T1+Rev combo so adding the Evolution and the power adapter is adding a brand new vape to the line up. That catalog was just beautiful i was showing it off to all the 420 friendlys in my circle trying to convert the to Vaporism. lol Can any one else smell a July 4th discount in the air? i just hope the full catalog is available first. This is the perfect season to support made in the USA.

mflb_hustler,

OF

I'm going out on a limb and guessing many people could have had good results if they worked on their technique. My evo went from "not working" to working as expected. The only thing I had to fix was the defective user :D

Cool, DR, glad you're on track. Thanks for passing the word, I was hoping for it. It 'fits' better now.

I agree, I suspect most of the problems come from carry over expectations. Experimentation is the key, it's not necessarily a formula you can follow blindly, as I see it.

Haven't been packing mine. Still working on technique. Funny how my Solo doesn't need to retrain the user. It just works. Probably head to TV this afternoon for lessons.

I'm not sure I follow. Evolution doesn't have a electronic temperature 'thinking for you' of course which does make it harder to master but many vapes only work well as designed.

I hope you get it sorted out quickly so you can start enjoying your purchase like the rest of us. Good luck.

I've been itching to add the evolution to my collection since it came out and lurking this thread but i kinda had a feeling the power adapter was on its way at least by july.

If I'm not mistaken it's released (which is why it was shown?). I suspect it'll be showing up on the web site as soon as it's ready to ship (which for manufactured parts is very fast since they do it 'in house'). I'm expecting that very soon. Perhaps Tim or one of the other usual suspects can clue us in?

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
So I figured out I've been heavily overpacking my evo. Basically I feel like I'm starting over with it now, and I'm able to get at least whispy vapor on my first try packing it much less. I'm off to a good start I suppose.

Congrates DR. Yeah I found you can over pack with some herbs and get away with it. Different strains and not so much. I have been finding the condition of the herb makes a big difference. Not as much with the T1 but I find once my herb starts to get too dry I need to put a small piece of peel in the bag and the next day it seems to vape much better. What ever fruit happens to be laying around. I used a very small piece of tomato last night as was getting lesser vapor then I normally do. Today it's much better.
For sure get the technique down before attempting over packing as towards the end the pulls need to be longer to get the herb farthest from the core. Not for everyone, as you do trade off some over heating of the herb closest to the core. Myself, I don't mind as long as it doesn't combust.

Give the lady a cigar! No, make that a blunt.....

I think heat doesn't get enough credit for causing problems. That sucker transfers a lot of heat down through the connector (which is why TV put a heat shield on the interface as an upgrade....). Heat is the enemy to electronics. Stuff starts going strange as low as 70 C (160 F), push it higher and real fun can happen. Even the 'rock simple' switch and battery rigs seem to have issues for some, although I agree with Pipes when it comes to skating by on the cheap they might have an edge.
OF
I agree totally but was just curious. There are some wood mods out there that use the horn switches which should be able to take the heat. I too do not really like the idea of electronics in such a device as just adds to the failure rate equation. BTW, I did try the Knight Rider (Lava Tube) and the display went black from the heat is just a few on and offs It did come back but sure proves your point about heat screwing up electronics.
All in all the TV seems best suited for the job at hand. Just wish the battery handle had some better texture to it for grip. The sticky pads work OK but after heating a few times they start to slowly slip up the sleeve, And I have to remove each time I switch to PA mode as well.
But as perks are saying these days. It is what it is. (I hate that phase)

Cheers,
Pipes

Pipes,

darkrom

Great Scott!

Let's not start that comparison lol. Fragile vs strong, all safe materials vs many unknowns, awesome customer support vs copy/paste/ no forum support etc. Very different vapes for very different uses IMO.

ctweips

Congrates DR. Yeah I found you can over pack with some herbs and get away with it. Different strains and not so much. I have been finding the condition of the herb makes a big difference. Not as much with the T1 but I find once my herb starts to get too dry I need to put a small piece of peel in the bag and the next day it seems to vape much better. What ever fruit happens to be laying around. I used a very small piece of tomato last night as was getting lesser vapor then I normally do. Today it's much better.
For sure get the technique down before attempting over packing as towards the end the pulls need to be longer to get the herb farthest from the core. Not for everyone, as you do trade off some over heating of the herb closest to the core. Myself, I don't mind as long as it doesn't combust.

I agree totally but was just curious. There are some wood mods out there that use the horn switches which should be able to take the heat. I too do not really like the idea of electronics in such a device as just adds to the failure rate equation. BTW, I did try the Knight Rider (Lava Tube) and the display went black from the heat is just a few on and offs It did come back but sure proves your point about heat screwing up electronics.
All in all the TV seems best suited for the job at hand. Just wish the battery handle had some better texture to it for grip. The sticky pads work OK but after heating a few times they start to slowly slip up the sleeve, And I have to remove each time I switch to PA mode as well.
But as perks are saying these days. It is what it is. (I hate that phase)

Cheers,
Pipes
I have found that when the switch starts to stick and become harder to push upwards that simply removing the batteries and sleeve and then putting it all back together generally makes it slide much easier IMO

ctweips,
Top Bottom