Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I made a mod to my Evolution:
2llnf9y.jpg

This way I can stop drooling into the mouthpiece of those looooong hits. :cool:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Yes, no problem. Just be sure you get the right batteries for it. Btw, I'd get another 17670 battery to have in standby, IIRC the kit comes with only one?

OF

Got the right batteries (3.0 lifepo4 thenergy) for 6v already, so that's no problem... yeah, the kit only comes with one 3.7v battery, so I will be looking for a couple more to keep in rotation. I have been on the fence for a while on ordering a kit, just wasn't sure which one I was going after, and I didn't really need more lifepo4 batteries, I have 6 and a charger already. I could have bought the REV alone with no batteries for $119, but I really didn't want another REV top, and I didn't want the Alpha because it doesn't have the derlin sleeve, so I decided having 2 Evolutions would not be a bad thing, I can pre-load the spare and have it ready to rock when I need it. Found spare batteries here http://www.lighthound.com/AW-17670-...ml?gdftrk=gdfV22217_a_7c1238_a_7c7505_a_7c101
I have ordered from them before, fast shipping, and I used to live near there when I was in TX... glad to be in OR now!

**My first real complaint about the Evolution is how the sleeve slips off so easy once the heat core gets hot. Not sure what to do about that...

I hooked up a small length of silicone tubing to the cap and hooked that to my bubbler, and got noticable vapor hits through the bubbler, but it did not milk it up. At least not with the little ego battery, my button is getting so hot, I can barely hold it long enough to keep the heat core going.

The ABV I am dumping out into my container looks just as even as what is in there from using my solo... I am very pleased over all with this vape, looking forward to seeing the difference with the TV battery set up.

**Just figured out that I can use the rubber cap that was on the container my Evolution came in as a thumb shield, (sort of like a big rubber thimble) allowing me to take longer draws with my little ego battery... it's basically a big version of the black caps that come with a MFLB or a solo stem cap. Nice...

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

OF

I made a mod to my Evolution:

This way I can stop drooling into the mouthpiece of those looooong hits. :cool:

Great photo, Stu. Looks just like you, really does. I've got the same confused color scheme going on mine, black battery sleeve, white evolution and mouthpiece. Makes me want to put a black mouthpiece on just to be less ordinary?

I like the long stem idea, but I'd need a drool trap on mine I think, and maybe one of those spit valves off a trumpet? Bet THC has a model out before Labor Day?

OF

OF

Got the right batteries (3.0 lifepo4 thenergy) for 6v already, so that's no problem... yeah, the kit only comes with one 3.7v battery, so I will be looking for a couple more to keep in rotation. I have been on the fence for a while on ordering a kit, just wasn't sure which one I was going after, and I didn't really need more lifepo4 batteries, I have 6 and a charger already. I could have bought the REV alone with no batteries for $119, but I really didn't want another REV top, and I didn't want the Alpha because it doesn't have the derlin sleeve, so I decided having 2 Evolutions would not be a bad thing, I can pre-load the spare and have it ready to rock when I need it. Found spare batteries here http://www.lighthound.com/AW-17670-...ml?gdftrk=gdfV22217_a_7c1238_a_7c7505_a_7c101

I hooked up a small length of silicone tubing to the cap and hooked that to my bubbler, and got noticable vapor hits through the bubbler, but it did not milk it up. At least not with the little ego battery, my button is getting so hot, I can barely hold it long enough to keep the heat core going.

The ABV I am dumping out into my container looks just as even as what is in there from using my solo... I am very pleased over all with this vape, looking forward to seeing the difference with the TV battery set up.

**Just figured out that I can use the rubber cap that was on the container my Evolution came in as a thumb shield, (sort of like a big rubber thimble) allowing me to take longer draws with my little ego battery... it's basically a big version of the black caps that come with a MFLB or a solo stem cap. Nice...

That's where I got my spares from, good outfit IMO. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the TV battery set up, they really do seem to know what they're up to. You shouldn't be surprised, of course, it's to be expected and all, but the simple design, solid construction and excellent quality are IMO enjoyable to behold and added to the overall satisfaction. "This is done right" helps give me a Spendthrift thrill I'm sure most guys also get.

BTW the heat issue has another solution, collect enough coupons from TV purchases and you get a free modification to your thumb, they put an Asbestos insert in. Was Delrin, but guys insisted on Teflon. Then that thing about Teflon pans came up.... I'm not sure Asbestos was the best solution, next thing I expect is a bunch of 'TV lawyers' (the other kind) posting about loved ones and all....

Fun world, eighwhat?

OF

OF,
Reactions: ogcook

DaProfessor

I have a ProVari V1 that has a 2.5 amp limiter in it. Should I use the Low Voltage version?

I think you would be happier with the LV for this mod.

M understanding is the Lavatube runs a 18650 and up regulates the current. I think you wil be happier with the Standard Voltage Evolution. You can cool it off a little and probably still get the vapor you want. I bet it runs pretty sweet at 5-5.5V.

I'm a little confused. I've owned a lavatube & provari v1. They both have 2.5A limits. Why do you suggest LV for one and Standard for another. I have a lavatube & want to pickup an Evolution cart. I don't understand what 'up reuglating' the current means for the lavatube. I know that both mods use a voltage step-up IC to accomplish variable voltage.

DaProfessor,

OF

I'm a little confused. I've owned a lavatube & provari v1. They both have 2.5A limits. Why do you suggest LV for one and Standard for another. I have a lavatube & want to pickup an Evolution cart. I don't understand what 'up reuglating' the current means for the lavatube. I know that both mods use a voltage step-up IC to accomplish variable voltage.

It's confusing all right. In fact, neither will work with a 2.5 Amp system. The Standard voltage (6 Volts) cart at 20 Watts is drawing 3.33 Amps doing so. This is 1.8 Ohms. That same resistance at 2.5 Amps has by Ohm's law (2.5 X 1.8) only 4.5 Volts. Well and good. OK voltage, OK current. The rub is that 4.5 Volts times 2.5 Amps is 11 Watts, far short of 20. Results with the LV are even worse.

Sorry, a 'battery' upgrade to get past that 2.5 Amp limit is in order if you want to play with these guys.

OF

hi all.. quick question. What kind of batteries can be used with the base of T1, and what's the average battery life ?

kingofqueens,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
hi all.. quick question. What kind of batteries can be used with the base of T1, and what's the average battery life ?

Are you asking about using your T1 for the Evolution and what batteries to use?? If so it is the AW 17670 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery for 3.7v or the standard 3.0 batteries that came with the T1 for 6v depending on which one you use.

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Boy this thing is giving my ego battery a real work out. I woke up and thought the battery had died, the button would not light up when pressed, even though it was plugged in all night. I messed with it a bit and suddenly it came back on and is working fine again. I imagine the extra heat is not good for this little plastic button, but as long as I can get it working... For all you folks looking to use this on a smaller e cig battery like the ego, it is working, but really pushing the ego battery to run it. I have not tried it unplugged yet, so I don't know how long it takes to drain the battery. I am still very impressed with the Evo so far, even under these conditions. I am getting about the same quality of taste and propper medication levels are being achieved, similar to what I was using my solo for. I would usually pack a solo stem, take 3-5 pulls then turn it off, and go back to finish the stem after the first round of medicating started tapering down.

....well...set down the ego for a bit, came back to it, and it's acting dead again. I swapped USB cables, to see if the first one was just crappy, put a better one in line, and still nothing. I'm pretty sure this last round did my battery in. It did get really hot, so I am guessing it fried something, killed the button, or melted solder somewhere, or who knows???

oh well, it was an older battery, one of the first generation of the passthrough style ego's. I am not upset, just want to post my experience here, so maybe other people can make a more informed decision. I know there have been improvements on the ego batts in more recent times. Use at your own risk...or the risk of your battery. I guess it's back to rotating batteries in my lil'chuck until my kit arrives.

**Hey Thermovape, if you do work out a black sleeve option for the Evo, will it be available for sale for early adopters??

jambandphan03,

OF

....well...set down the ego for a bit, came back to it, and it's acting dead again. I swapped USB cables, to see if the first one was just crappy, put a better one in line, and still nothing. I'm pretty sure this last round did my battery in. It did get really hot, so I am guessing it fried something, killed the button, or melted solder somewhere, or who knows???

I think it's a fair bet the electronics didn't like being toasted, generally it doesn't. 70 degrees C at the device level (inside) is the general limit, I'm sure we're way way over that in such cases. We're demanding more from this poor old work horse, a heart attack is to be expected IMO. Get something you don't have to race as hard to get to speed. If you've got the bucks, check out the Ultra body from TV. It's about the same size as the Evolution itself and carries the 14500 IMR battery that will definitely make the Evolution perform just like the designers intended. Fits sweet in the pocket as well. And since there's no electronics in it to bake to death, that's not a problem either. It too laughs at boiling water.

OF

OF,
Reactions: ogcook

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I already ordered another evolution lv with kit yesterday, so it will probably ship out monday. Now it's just the waiting game. My lil'chuck mod is working ok with it for now. The solo is still my main vape for herbs, at least for in home use. I have not been getting out enough lately to test it in the field. I am probably not going to take it out very often if the Evolution performs this well, in full kit mode, I won't have to worry about breaking it as much as with the solo, which I hold dear to me right now. 2 Evo-chambers and 3 batteries ought to keep the mobile set up going a while. Now to find a portable solar charger that actually works hehehe

jambandphan03,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So I'm a little confused after reading everything still. I already have the T1. What do I need to get the claimed 50 hits? Am I correct that the LV is supposed to be around 50 hits per battery? If so can I run this on my T1 or do I need the whole LV kit.

darkrom,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
As far as I understand it, if you have the T1, you want the 6v Evolution top to go with it, and I believe you don't need any other adapters or parts to make it work with your T1. I am not 100% sure, so hopefully others will chime in, but that was my understanding. If you want the LV version, you will need to buy the 3.7v battery to use with the LV. You don't want to run the LV on 6v, it will kill it.

jambandphan03,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Actually, if you don't own the Revolution, you would need the "thingy" to connect the 510 threaded Evolution cart to your T1 unit. I ordered the Evo cart by itself and wouldn't have been able to connect it without the "thingy".
:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: darkrom

VAPORIZER22

You might need the part that the cart screws into. I think they are different from T1 to Revolution/Evolution?

Yea, Stu beat me to it

VAPORIZER22,

PB88123

Vaporist
Actually, if you don't own the Revolution, you would need the "thingy" to connect the 510 threaded Evolution cart to your T1 unit. I ordered the Evo cart by itself and wouldn't have been able to connect it without the "thingy".

You don't need a thingy I thought. Just screw the HV EVO in like so with the 6V batteries.

ThermoVapeEvolutiononT11.jpg

PB88123,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
^^ this picture makes no sense to me as there is no switch. :shrug:
Am I missing something here?

Stu,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm really thinking of just getting the whole LV kit.

Anyone have any experience in relation to the ~50 hits on a single charge with the LV? Is that 50 hits similar to the T1 or are they 50 whispy hits? I'm just waiting for some reviews before I order something that may not even be what I'm looking for.

darkrom,

PB88123

Vaporist
^^ this picture makes no sense to me as there is no switch. :shrug:
Am I missing something here?

When you unscrew the top part to change the batteries the switch is in there. You can get the HV EVO for $59.99 and use it with the T1. You'll get a couple more hits a battery and the no stirring / no clogging.

@darkrom I am also waiting to hear back on how many hits people get with the LV kit on a single battery. The reviews are still coming in as people get theirs.

PB88123,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
When you unscrew the top part to change the batteries the switch is in there.

When I unscrew the top part to change the batteries, I only see batteries (no switch). Maybe the switch portion of the T1 can be separated from the heater and used in this fashion? :shrug: I just figured that I needed the Rev switch which has 510 threading on the other end. Or am I still missing something here??

Stu,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
The Evolution screws into the 510 threads where your bowl screws into on the TV1. You see, the "thingy" is called an atomizer interface officially, the TV1 shares a flat faced design with the RES design of the UltraMax. You can connect an Evolution to your TV1 two ways:

1. Unscrew your bowl from the unit (as in the picture PB brought up)
2. Use the atomizer interface, and screw the Evo into that and attach to your bottom half.

Either way works the same, just looks a little different. It's a real pain to unscrew the bowl IMO so I'll be getting an atomizer interface to go with the Evo. I'll have another extra switch then too :tup:

Peloton,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Stu, unscrew and remove, your thermocore and you will see the 510 threads it screws into underneath. You still need the thermocore interface piece, with the switch in it, just take the bowl out.

t-dub,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think I get it now. I can't easily (nor do I necessarily want to) remove the switch from my TV1, so I guess I just treat it as a complete unit. The Rev switch seems to work just fine (and looks better IMO), so I'll just stick with it for use with the Evo.

Stu,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, I can't even get the Evo to work on my regular Riva/Ego knock off batteries either, it's just too much work for them. I think they are 600mah. It looks like I am getting one session off of my 16340 batts, 550mah then have to charge them, just not powerful enough for the Evo. I will be using my solo again until the kit I ordered arrives, as this is just too much of a hassle, and I don't want to burn out any more of my ego batteries.

I guess the lesson here is, if you are going to use your own mod to run the Evo, make sure it can take the load, and the heat.

jambandphan03,

OF

So I'm a little confused after reading everything still. I already have the T1. What do I need to get the claimed 50 hits? Am I correct that the LV is supposed to be around 50 hits per battery? If so can I run this on my T1 or do I need the whole LV kit.

I'm not sure where 50 hits comes from. By my math it's closer to 30 and that depends on how long each is which is a huge variable. I did the numbers a few posts back, but basically you're looking at 15 minutes or so of 20 Watt heat available in either format. If you assume an average 15 second hit after a 10 or 15 second warm up you get two hits to the minute.

You can unscrew your heat core, but a Standard Evolution and screw it in and be good to go with the same batteries (6 Volts total). Bowls will be smaller, heat a little faster, and take less hits to cash. Changing to LV means buying that cart and batteries and charger to fit 17670s in place of two RCR123As. Cheaper the other way.

You can also buy the 'right' adapter for the Revolution, but the base of the heat core on T1 will work fine, photo of it in action somewhere above.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom