Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

OF

soooo.... Just discovered e-cig mods... Picked up the Saber Touch 3.7/6.0 with the passthru, the adjustable power supply, and the high power circuitry mod. Heard the switch can stand up to a lot because it is solid state. Seems like a perfect Evo at the desk or on the go solution. Anyone use this? Anything I should know? something said on the site about a wet finger?

You need to make a connection between the body (exposed metal only, not the painted body) and the exposed center contact at the same time with skin damp enough to conduct electricity weakly. Folks with dry hands, especially when it's cold, won't be able to do this. Lick your fingertips when nobody's looking.

Yes, it seems the 'switch' is a solid state part (almost certainly an enhancement mode MOSFET) so it can probably carry more current than the battery can supply. I've no idea about short circuit protection, I lost interest when I found out the VV version is screwdriver adjusted and has no display and therefore is not useful 'on the fly'.

Otherwise seems a sound idea for what it does. Please let us know how you like it? It's not too late to jump on board you know......

TIA

OF

OF,

Dj Bass

Yeah I was thinkin' of going varivolt. But then the potentiometer is one more thing to fail, and I pretty much only use 3.7 or 6v anyway. And I have so damn many tenergy rcr123a and AW 18560s that it just wouldn't make sense for me to go with something that takes a different batt. I hope this ends up working out well, think these e-cig users have a much larger pool of handles to choose from than us more illicit users are accustomed to.

Dj Bass,

OF

Yeah I was thinkin' of going varivolt. But then the potentiometer is one more thing to fail, and I pretty much only use 3.7 or 6v anyway. And I have so damn many tenergy rcr123a and AW 18560s that it just wouldn't make sense for me to go with something that takes a different batt. I hope this ends up working out well, think these e-cig users have a much larger pool of handles to choose from than us more illicit users are accustomed to.

Agreed they are our brothers, even if most do seem to hate us. Their needs are similar but different. They have the long experience we need. Too bad politics has to get involved, but it has....

I'm finding the VV is nice to have sometimes. Right now I'm running one of the 4 ohm test carts that used to leak on one. It's got half a gram of PG in it now, it wants to leak again, but I'm able to keep it on it's side of the line by holding it to 4.0 Volts. Still have huge hits on tap, but no leaks yet. I've bumped it up a tenth or two at a time, a nice 'fine tuning' thing to have available. I'm thinking maybe the ideal set up is a VV unit and 4 Ohm carts (maximum 'fine tune steps') or maybe 2.4 (automatic fall back to V1, V2 and so on). With VV to 6.0 available, 1.5 Ohm carts become a bad call I'm thinking, you get more control with 2..4s.

I wish my VV head had enough steam for Evolution (it's limited at 2.5 Amps), but I really think the current scheme of storing heat wouldn't find much advantage. For driving TV products, fixed voltage units with minimal losses seem a better call. I think you picked wisely.

OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
soooo.... Just discovered e-cig mods... Picked up the Saber Touch 3.7/6.0 with the passthru, the adjustable power supply, and the high power circuitry mod. Heard the switch can stand up to a lot because it is solid state. Seems like a perfect Evo at the desk or on the go solution. Anyone use this? Anything I should know? something said on the site about a wet finger?

I just got the Sabor Mini yesterday. In battery mode, it really won't perform well with the evo due to battery limitations of my 16340 batteries, but I am hoping that in passthrough mode, it will work like a champ, and possibly with the 18350 batteries I have ordered. I am still waiting for the passthrough to arrive. Yes, I found it's true, you have to wet your thumb (finger) and be touching one of the end caps to get a good connection on my Mini. No big deal really. I went with the Mini because I found it for a good price on the ECF classifieds.

I did test the Evo-LV on my generic 3.7-6v mod called Indulgence. I put a 18650 battery in there, and started to press the button, and noticed the end cap for the battery (- end) started getting hot, so I stopped and removed the battery. The spring was really hot on the end cap. Won't be doing that twice. I don't know if it was the material the mod is made of, feels like aluminum, or what, but that was a little freaky. I have used that same mod to run the Revolution at 6v with the 3.0 lifepo4 batteries with no problems.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: OF

Dj Bass

Thanks Jam!

Just went ahead and bought two of these guys http://www.madvapes.com/V2-510-Shorty-Extension-Sealed_p_3171.html

Figure worst case scenario save my threads, best case I can save my mod's electronics un-needed exposure to the crazy heat that comes off this evo. Wondering if the risk of loose connections/shorting outweighs the benefits.... I dunno.

Think I might try to get a Chuck with roll bar to protect the switch as well, dude makes them custom with images painted on, and I think it'd be siiiick to have a custom designed rugged ass brass evo-lv batt handle that lasts for like, 3 good bowls on a charge (about where I'm at with Persei and 18650.)

EDIT! Also! I forgot! Which adapter did you get for the passthru? The variable one? I am excited to try that thing out with the 4.2 on the evo-lv if its safe, as I hear that is what the 18560s put off when fully charged anyway....

Dj Bass,

OF

I just got the Sabor Mini yesterday. In battery mode, it really won't perform well with the ego due to battery limitations, but I am hoping that in passthrough mode, it will work like a champ. I am still waiting for the passthrough to arrive. Yes, I found it's true, you have to wet your thumb (finger) and be touching one of the end caps to get a good connection on my Mini. No big deal really. I went with the Mini because I found it for a good price on the ECF classifieds.

I did test the Evo-LV on my generic 3.7-6v mod called Indulgence. I put a 18650 battery in there, and started to press the button, and noticed the end cap for the battery (- end) started getting hot, so I stopped and removed the battery. The spring was really hot on the end cap. Won't be doing that twice. I don't know if it was the material the mod is made of, feels like aluminum, or what, but that was a little freaky. I have used that same mod to run the Revolution at 6v with the 3.0 lifepo4 batteries with no problems.

Cool. Two useful datapoints in one post....

The battery issue is an interesting one to me. What sort are you using? It's a 18350, right? I'm thinking the IMR 18350 might give you a significant boost in available steam? The numbers seem to say it would do just fine. If it doesn't maybe it's time to figure out where the losses are.....

The info on the Indulgence is also interesting. For sure I wouldn't go repeating that experiment a whole lot.... This was before the button press? Otherwise, it's pretty spooky, but if it happens before the press I'm not sure how I'd trust it ever again. There's a scary bit of energy in that bitty battery. It could set your coat pocket on fire when it's not really convenient for you.....for instance?

Is this the first use of that battery? A straight mechanical issue maybe?

OF

OF,

OF

EDIT! Also! I forgot! Which adapter did you get for the passthru? The variable one? I am excited to try that thing out with the 4.2 on the evo-lv if its safe, as I hear that is what the 18560s put off when fully charged anyway....

I too think this would be fun to explore. I tend to think TV ran it right to the wall. One of the things I was specifically asked to check for was 'worst case combustion'. Small charges of very fine, dry herb for me. I huffed until I thought I'd pass out, put in a fresh battery and tried a bit more. I think I came real close, I got that taste shift you sometimes get just before it gets ugly but it never quite lit off. There might not be much margin for Hot Roding left.

There are also voltage drop issues with the way the different supplies are built that make 4.2 Volts in one not the same as 4.2 in another when under load. Potentially a VV could be hotter under load, not necessarily a good thing.

OF

OF,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Everyone,

Make sure you double check your battery suppliers, there are some imitation AW's going around in the industry. If the cell's are showing less than 3.4V then its most likely an imitation and you should take a double look at where you acquired them. There are very occasionally cells that will show less than 3.4 under special circumstances but for the most part they shouldn't be.

Also it appears that OF has gotten to everyones questions and was able to shed his insight on answering them. Thanks OF, I owe you one... or 10! lol

Cheers,

Tim

OF

Make sure you double check your battery suppliers, there are some imitation AW's going around in the industry. If the cell's are showing less than 3.4V then its most likely an imitation and you should take a double look at where you acquired them. There are very occasionally cells that will show less than 3.4 under special circumstances but for the most part they shouldn't be.

Oh, wow! That's lame.... You've seen them? How real do they look? Any visual clues?

Is it confined to specific sizes or are all sizes suspect?

"Know your dealer" used to be the mantra in a slightly different vein....maybe time to dust it off again.....

Thanks for the head's up.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Thanks Jam!

Just went ahead and bought two of these guys http://www.madvapes.com/V2-510-Shorty-Extension-Sealed_p_3171.html

Figure worst case scenario save my threads, best case I can save my mod's electronics un-needed exposure to the crazy heat that comes off this evo. Wondering if the risk of loose connections/shorting outweighs the benefits.... I dunno.

Think I might try to get a Chuck with roll bar to protect the switch as well, dude makes them custom with images painted on, and I think it'd be siiiick to have a custom designed rugged ass brass evo-lv batt handle that lasts for like, 3 good bowls on a charge (about where I'm at with Persei and 18650.)

I also stuck 2 of my 510-901 and 901-510 adapters together to make a spacer for the heat. It does seem to delay the heat transfer to the battery chamber a bit. I have an exteded 3/4" 510-510 adapter on the way. I have the Lil' chuck (2 of them) they also run on the 16340 or possibly AW 18350 (still waiting for those to show up so I can test them) just like the sabor mini does. It is cool having my own graphic art on my lil'chuck battery mod, that's what sold me on them. I didn't know at the time I would be needing the ability to use 6v so I went with the little size. I tried using the lil'chuck at first when I ordered just the EvoLV top by itself, but didn't get more than one round off a battery per charge and ended up ordering the Evo-LV kit. I suspect the switch on my chucks isn't rated to handle the amps either. I am starting to wish I had the full size Sabor, and may still upgrade at some point if the Passthrough works out. I ordered the variable PT with the switch control. Mainly wanted it for desk use, and the mini works with many of my other vaping devices that run on 3.7v.

Cool. Two useful datapoints in one post....

The battery issue is an interesting one to me. What sort are you using? It's a 18350, right? I'm thinking the IMR 18350 might give you a significant boost in available steam? The numbers seem to say it would do just fine. If it doesn't maybe it's time to figure out where the losses are.....

The info on the Indulgence is also interesting. For sure I wouldn't go repeating that experiment a whole lot.... This was before the button press? Otherwise, it's pretty spooky, but if it happens before the press I'm not sure how I'd trust it ever again. There's a scary bit of energy in that bitty battery. It could set your coat pocket on fire when it's not really convenient for you.....for instance?

Is this the first use of that battery? A straight mechanical issue maybe?

OF

No, the heating end cap was while the button was pressed.It was with those high powered orbtronic 18650 3100mah double protected batteries, that I just bought from another ecig user on ECF. Hopefully it isn't a battery issue. I suspect the cheap quality of the mod has something to do with it. It has no bulk to it, feels like an aluminum tube. I don't really have any other way to test them other than maybe putting it on the charger to see if they will at least take a charge. The batteries don't have any obvious flaws that I can see. Just put them on the charger, they are taking a charge, no problems there.

The only batteries I had to work with so far with the mini mods has been the 16340. I have some AW 18350's on the way to see if they perform better.

**looks like my VVpassthrough just shipped today. Be here by the weekend.

jambandphan03,

OF

No, the heating end cap was while the button was pressed.It was with those high powered orbtronic 18650 3100mah double protected batteries, that I just bought from another ecig user on ECF. Hopefully it isn't a battery issue. I suspect the cheap quality of the mod has something to do with it. It has no bulk to it, feels like an aluminum tube. I don't really have any other way to test them other than maybe putting it on the charger to see if they will at least take a charge. The batteries don't have any obvious flaws that I can see. Just put them on the charger, they are taking a charge, no problems there.

The only batteries I had to work with so far with the mini mods has been the 16340. I have some AW 18350's on the way to see if they perform better.

Cool. Thanks for the additional data, sounds like you're on top of it. Please keep us posted?

TIA

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Also want to put this out there, the XTAR charger I got yesterday, is charging my batts pretty fast and was well worth the purchase. I have 3 AW 17670 (same that comes w/the EvoLV) in rotation now, and it is keeping my batteries charged before I can run through them. Much quicker than the Ultrafire charger I got with the kit that took several hours to charge and died in a couple of days, and less picky about the contact points as well. It could be that my Ultrafire charger was not ever performing right, since it just up and died for no apparent reason. I have another on the way, and will try it out to see if there is any performance difference from the first one. XTAR is rocking it though. I don't fully drain my batteries, have been running maybe 2 loads then swapping them for a freshie so I can't place an exact time frame on charge time, but it seems to give me a green light within roughly an hour or so from putting it on the charger.

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I too think this would be fun to explore. I tend to think TV ran it right to the wall. One of the things I was specifically asked to check for was 'worst case combustion'. Small charges of very fine, dry herb for me. I huffed until I thought I'd pass out, put in a fresh battery and tried a bit more. I think I came real close, I got that taste shift you sometimes get just before it gets ugly but it never quite lit off. There might not be much margin for Hot Roding left.

There are also voltage drop issues with the way the different supplies are built that make 4.2 Volts in one not the same as 4.2 in another when under load. Potentially a VV could be hotter under load, not necessarily a good thing.

OF

I have had one near combustion experience, I had the button activated for an initial heat up and sorta spaced how long it was pushed up, then realized how hot the device was getting and hit it. I tasted the beginnings of combustion and stopped hitting it. I must have had it activated for longer than 30 seconds, looking back on it, it was pretty hot. I dumped that load out and just the very bottom had a few black specks, the rest of the load looked vaped, and didn't catch. I like to regularly remove the bowl from the battery and blow through the threaded end, to remove bits that may have fallen down through the holes.

jambandphan03,
Jam, those 18350 AW "should" work well in the saber if they fit. I was using them through the persei and got 2 loads per batt.
Good luck.

havealight101,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Jam, those 18350 AW "should" work well in the saber if they fit. I was using them through the persei and got 2 loads per batt.
Good luck.

I believe they do work in the full size Sabor, but I have the mini, which only works with CR123 sized batteries...it's half the size of the regular Sabor. I am going after the passthrough for using the sabor mini, unless I find that the 18350 batteries have enough power to run the EvoLV for more than a few hits with the mini.

jambandphan03,

2clicker

Observer
Also want to put this out there, the XTAR charger I got yesterday, is charging my batts pretty fast and was well worth the purchase. I have 3 AW 17670 (same that comes w/the EvoLV) in rotation now, and it is keeping my batteries charged before I can run through them. Much quicker than the Ultrafire charger I got with the kit that took several hours to charge and died in a couple of days, and less picky about the contact points as well. It could be that my Ultrafire charger was not ever performing right, since it just up and died for no apparent reason. I have another on the way, and will try it out to see if there is any performance difference from the first one. XTAR is rocking it though. I don't fully drain my batteries, have been running maybe 2 loads then swapping them for a freshie so I can't place an exact time frame on charge time, but it seems to give me a green light within roughly an hour or so from putting it on the charger.

been waiting to hear about that charger. sounds like a good one.

i think ill be pulling the trigger on one of these. reviews are really good.

2clicker,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
:rofl:The Evo takes a lot of power, the 3.7v uses 17670 batteries, and the 6v uses 2x 3.0v Lifepo4.

AA batteries are not going to work. Sorry.:myday:

jambandphan03,

JoeKickass

Does the ThermoVape Evo use AA size batteries? I have this charger that I use for my camera batteries. It is a great charger:

Maha Powerex MH-C801D Eight Cell 1-Hr PRO AA/AAA Charger

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5S648/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Just in case you didn't see, this was on the amazon page:

51HtKo%2BV70L.jpg

wleger - The charger self destructed and destroyed 8 batteries. Six of these batteries were only a year old from Amazon.

61YZt7mLfkL.jpg

wleger - The plastic on the charger melted from the heat.

These kinds of things are fairly rare but they do happen. And pictures like that remind you to only charge batteries when you're home and awake to keep an eye on them and intervene if something catastrphic happens...

But to answer your question, no the evolution uses the more energy-dense lithium ion battery technology.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Just in case you didn't see, this was on the amazon page:
These kinds of things are fairly rare but they do happen. And pictures like that remind you to only charge batteries when you're home and awake to keep an eye on them and intervene if something catastrphic happens...

But to answer your question, no the evolution uses the more energy-dense lithium ion battery technology.

Yea thank goodness mine has been doing just fine. I have had it for over a year now and thankfully no lithium battery fires. It is a good reminder for everyone though that they need to supervise their batteries charging.

Oh well I was pretty sure they were a different size but I thought I would just ask. I like the soft charge feature of that battery charger. I thought it might be nice to use it on the ThermoVape batteries. Oh well.

Slightly Medicated,

2clicker

Observer
so my Detonator/RoughStack does not seem to be cutting it anymore. im getting flaky performance. by that i mean that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. im not sure if its not connecting well or if the switch is getting too hot.

its weird cuz ill thread it on, fresh battery, take the sleeve off and fire it up. fires up fine. because of the adapter im running the air ports just above the threads on my Evo are visible when the Evo is fully screwed in. this allows me to see into those holes rather easily and can see if fire up when the sleeve is on. anyway, so w/out the sleeve it fires up. then the herb is packed, sleeve goes on, and heatup begins. everything is fine at first. then start with a chamber heating draw. still fine and starting to taste it. then the test puff to insure there is vapor production. still good. then i might even get a good pull in, but the next thing i know ill look into the air holes and see that the core is out. remove finger from button and let the unit cool down. then try again, but nothing. then ill unscrew it, dump the herb, rethread it to the adapter and back onto the device and it fires right back up.

not really sure what to think except that its time to upgrade to a device that i know will perform well with my Dart and Evo. likely going to be an TV Rev kit LV Dart this time tho :brow:

i wouldnt mind hearing more about the sabor Evo combo. holding out as long as i can, but feeling an imminent purchase coming soon.

2clicker,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am glad I bought the TV battery, it is so basic, it will be hard to mess it up, and it's made well. Get one that comes with a sleeve though... if you go that way. Just had a thought about a downside to only having the Sabor, if it's cold out, you will have to use fingerless gloves, or you won't be able to use it, unlike the TV batt that probably works really good with gloves, since the switch is so big and easy to activate.

jambandphan03,
Top Bottom