Discontinued Thermovape Cera

SMELLYcat

My name is SMELLYcat and I like to Party!
Hey FC I made a little latching switch mod of my own:

Got latching switch on ebay. It's actually an illuminated switch but wiring the leads for the LED is tricky with the tight space constraints. Otherwise it works great. For the LL core it is a must have IMO. Only rated at 3 amps though so longevity may be an issue but should do till a better solution comes up.
How did you do the spring? Some switch assembly pics would be sweet. I cant wait for a latching switch. Keep us all posted on its longevity. Thanks LOOKS AWESOME GOOD JOB.

SMELLYcat,

Tweek

Personally, I wouldn't be putting an under rated latching switch on there. You could run into more problems than just longevity.

Tweek,

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
A picture of the switch assembly, apologies for the crappy iphone pic:

10pavb4.jpg

Basically I took an old flash light contact spring and wired it to one end with some speaker wire and potted the whole thing with some JB weld.

As for safety I'm running protected orbtronic cells so theres a little bit of a safety net, but come on compared to shoving some wadded up tin foil in there I don't think its all that bad...:lol:

OF

So I know the porous ceramic rings are stacked on top of each other under the top ceramic wafer, but where does the heater coil lay? Isn't there a long and skinny ceramic cylinder somewhere?

It's as coil running up the center of the stack. There's a reflector core/support rod up the center of it. It's pretty small in major diameter, I'd say the OD is about 1/8 inch (?). There's a gap between the coil and the cores, of course, but not a huge one. In use it's the material in the core that does most of the good work.

There's also a gap at the outside of the stack between it and the wall. When overfilled, this gap fills and holds some of the excess for use later.

Got latching switch on ebay. It's actually an illuminated switch but wiring the leads for the LED is tricky with the tight space constraints. Otherwise it works great. For the LL core it is a must have IMO. Only rated at 3 amps though so longevity may be an issue but should do till a better solution comes up.

Interesting looking, although I share your concern for capacity, still as you say it's a start.

Do you have a link to share?

TIA

On the topic of timing on the EO cores, I agree with those numbers. Overfilling makes it slower, as dues running dry (funny how that works out). And, since the system retains heat so well the start up for subsequent hits can be quite fast. It can get to the 'start the draw as you hit the button level like with Omicron carts.....sometimes.

If things aren't truly rolling in 15 or 20 seconds IMO it's time to question battery charge and fill level in that order.

OF

Rocco

Exactly which one did you get? And did you have to do any tricks to get it working or just plug and play?I am definitely getting one of these as A temporary latch option! Just need to know exactly which one will work best, ebay has alot of these with different colors and panels:hmm:

edit: Oh sweet you posted pics and details while I typed this post, lol

Rocco,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer

24l0tc3.jpg

Looks good, The added length of the latching switches is something to figure out. Also make sure the spring alone is enough to handle the Amperage. You can quickly take it out after you fire it and feel the spring if its warm. Be careful though! If its not up to it you'll be feeling an extremely hot spring.

Also, we didn't get batteries in today... :( looks like the kits will have to go out tomorrow! should be a big shipping day!

Cheers,
Tim

iamn3ko

Hmm well I'll keep messing with the EO core, batteries I know are fully charged. So I think maybe I flooded it at first. Who knows, thanks for your guys input :)

iamn3ko,
Reactions: 2ndSight

SMELLYcat

My name is SMELLYcat and I like to Party!
Looks good, The added length of the latching switches is something to figure out. Also make sure the spring alone is enough to handle the Amperage. You can quickly take it out after you fire it and feel the spring if its warm. Be careful though! If its not up to it you'll be feeling an extremely hot spring.

Also, we didn't get batteries in today... :( looks like the kits will have to go out tomorrow! should be a big shipping day!

Cheers,
Tim
Hello Tim,
At this point I would be willing to pay $100 for a proper latching switch made by TET. There has to be a profit point where I would be worth making these things. I just hope someone can pull it off. I believe TET will be the only ones to make a worthy switch.

P.S. I love the Cera EO + LL both incredible. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160917455048?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Is this a possible switch it says 5a? Thanks

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
Thanks for the advice tim. Also big thanks OF the info in your posts really helped with the mod. :bowdown:

Here is a link to the switch :

19mm latching switch

As for the size the switch was a few mm longer than the one that ships with cera. I had to trim the switch contacts and shave a few mm off the body with a dremel. If you look at the pictures I also use the included spacer that the switch comes with to offset the additional length.

Edit: Is there such a thing as a momentary latching switch? Like, a switch that unlatches itself after a set amount of time? that would actually be perfect for the cera.

hooperbell

Thanks for the advice tim. Also big thanks OF the info in your posts really helped with the mod. :bowdown:

Here is a link to the switch :

19mm latching switch

As for the size the switch was a few mm longer than the one that ships with cera. I had to trim the switch contacts and shave a few mm off the body with a dremel. If you look at the pictures I also use the included spacer that the switch comes with to offset the additional length.
Sounds like you should order a bunch of them, fit them to the Cera, and sell to make some extra $$. There's obviously very high demand

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
Sounds like you should order a bunch of them, fit them to the Cera, and sell to make some extra $$. There's obviously very high demand

Hmmm. Still doing testing but not a bad idea... Possible liability though if someone starts a fire or injures themselves I think? This thing gets seriously hot when left on for too long , I now understand why TET decided to can the idea. In the end its convenience vs safety trade off I guess but for me it was worth it.

coffinoff

Hmmm. Still doing testing but not a bad idea... Possible liability though if someone starts a fire or injures themselves I think? This thing gets seriously hot when left on for too long , I now understand why TET decided to can the idea. In the end its convenience vs safety trade off I guess but for me it was worth it.
It kind of seems like the illuminated version would mitigate the risk to some extent. I can see people putting it down while it's on with a normal switch but one with a big glowing red ring on it is a little more difficult to ignore.

Apem does custom switches but I'm not sure what a minimum order would be for them. I was going to wait until I had a chance to use my Cera before I decide if I want to mod it or not.

http://www.apem.com/Anti-Vandal-and-security-pushbutton-switches-v9-d-807.html

Apem US distributors:
http://www.apem.com/9-29398-U.S.-Sales-Reps-and-Distribution.php

OF

Hmmm. Still doing testing but not a bad idea...

Good show you're going to be testing it, while the current rating is a little light, far more important it's not a DC rated switch. The rating is an AC one, typically a little to a lot higher. DC ratings under an Amp are very likely. Meaning it'll likely rapidly go out sometime down the road when the contacts pit and self heating 'melts it down'. At least that's a common failure mode in such cases. With four (or even five with a fresh charge) Amps there's little room for weakness.

Bummer that. Sorry for the negative take, but that's my read on it.

Any one could live forever, of course. But if you were to sell a pile of them, I'd expect a smaller pile back....and probably not all at once. If a guy had one and didn't mind it going out on him at some random time (no doubt determined by Murphy) I think it still has posibilities. The risks we assume as individuals trying stuff are different than the ones a company faces selling products I think. A bad guess here costs us a switch and some inconvenience while it's exchanged for one that still works. For them it could end the game if the percentage of problems times the cost per to resolve gets too big.

FWIW as another Member and I were discussing not long ago, somewhere in the auto/truck/boat market there has to be 'the switch'. He's found a similar truck switch DC rated for 50 Amps. That should be enough for us......

OF

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
Quite true OF. I did it more for kicks than anything else. If someone were to do this commercially I would definitely recommend using a switch properly rated for the job. I've held on to the momentary switch so if there are any failures its a simple swap to replace it

2ndSight

Hmm well I'll keep messing with the EO core, batteries I know are fully charged. So I think maybe I flooded it at first. Who knows, thanks for your guys input :)

Yeah n3ko i'd say 'just keep product testing' heheh :tup: I think i did a similar thing, when i first loaded i put in a full 0.5g+ and as a result there was intermittent clogs while i was still figuring out optimal ways to hit it. worried me at first but now i'm getting the hang of it a bit better and realize what it was.

As for my own personal preference, i'm still not totally sold on loading it with a TON of EO (by that i mean like more than 0.3 or so) all at once, i mean it's nice to have the option for when you're 'on the go' and can't reload it or anything---but i guess it just feels like (as common sense would lead me to believe) loading less gives more of those 'sick first hits' where it's extreme vapor levels and the taste is insane. i feel like the 2nd half of a large load isn't going to give the same results as, say, 3 smaller sized loads. and i'm a picky bitch what can i say? haha. i definitely still need to test it more...much...much more! :cheers:

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Tim said there are only a few glass mouth pieces left does that mean there are gone for good or are they going to get more? Can you use the LL longer then 2 1/2 minutes with the condom on it? If so how much longer before it is unsafe? If I am understanding this switch issue right the cera or the battery or something can overheat and mess it up...is this the case? If not can you please explain?

I still like the one you made OF as it is momentary but easy to push. I do like that slider one as well. I doubt I can make either one.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: xclarryx

VapeAttic

I am medicating myself with klonopin due to waiting and calming my anxieties for the arrival of my new bitch on tha block named CERA!! Oooowwweeeeee I cannot wait.

Hey OF, for the life of me, I cannot find that link you put out for that case you have to carry pretty lil CERA. Do you mind posting that again?

VapeAttic

Thanks to funkin and NoName! Good looking out. I wasn't soo sure who posted it. I just know that I've seen OF a lot throughout this whole thread. Good person to get good info and some inside scoop on things with TET.

hooperbell

Tim said there are only a few glass mouth pieces left does that mean there are gone for good or are they going to get more? Can you use the LL longer then 2 1/2 minutes with the condom on it? If so how much longer before it is unsafe? If I am understanding this switch issue right the cera or the battery or something can overheat and mess it up...is this the case? If not can you please explain?

I still like the one you made OF as it is momentary but easy to push. I do like that slider one as well. I doubt I can make either one.
If I wanted one I would buy it now. Those things go out of stock for months.:myday:

hooperbell,
Reactions: OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I read the reviews so for traveling without a pressure release valve you may have an issue.

Thanks hoops but I am not totally decided on the cera yet so it would be a waste of money. I am a LL user so the two remaining issue with the switch and the heat are still up in the air. I know I would hate holding the switch so I am waiting for a mod that I can do.

Dreamerr,

iamn3ko

I read the reviews so for traveling without a pressure release valve you may have an issue.

Thanks hoops but I am not totally decided on the cera yet so it would be a waste of money. I am a LL user so the two remaining issue with the switch and the heat are still up in the air. I know I would hate holding the switch so I am waiting for a mod that I can do.

Get a pelican case, mine has a pressure release valve.

iamn3ko,

iamn3ko

Yeah 1120 with foam. I believe it was Buchee who got it first, and I stole the idea from him. It's pretty nice, believe I got it for 32 bucks on eBay.

Worth it totally.

I posted pictures of it in the jibberish thread, fits everything BUT the charger/cords. But really it's not a big deal cause I have plenty of room for multiple batteries. The GoPro box in the pictures is a battery box as well and can also double as storage space for o rings, thermal condoms, etc. So it's pretty sweet, if you're creative like I try to be, you'll make room and have stash spots that can be secretly hidden ;)

Top Bottom