Discontinued Thermovape Cera

OF

Do you recommend any of this sites listed chargers over the TV charger?

No, I'm sure there are other good ones, but I like the one TV choose and know they tested a lot of them to get there. Not only were they tested for recharge time but also for total charge (Noah said at one point there was 'almost 10% difference' there in some cases). IMO the TV unit may not be the best, but it's for sure good enough.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Darb

Tom Funk

No, I'm sure there are other good ones, but I like the one TV choose and know they tested a lot of them to get there. Not only were they tested for recharge time but also for total charge (Noah said at one point there was 'almost 10% difference' there in some cases). IMO the TV unit may not be the best, but it's for sure good enough.

OF

OF,

Do you know what the total charge is with the TV supplied charger. I realise that I won't be able to get another charger that performs as well at the same price but I was considering the more expensive Soshine S1 version 3 (S1 max III) charger with Australian plugs from the same supplier as therobbo got his 2250mAh batteries from. This unit charges the battery to 4.15-4.2volts. Is this what you are talking about when you say "total charge?" I'm not really up with this battery stuff.

Also, my T1 charger died a few weeks ago (the wall part anyway). I've only been able to use it with the car charger since then. If I get the Tenergy 18650 charger, will I be able to use the wall unit from it with the docking part for charging the T1 batteries?

TIA
TF

Tom Funk,

OF

This unit charges the battery to 4.15-4.2volts. Is this what you are talking about when you say "total charge?"

Also, my T1 charger died a few weeks ago (the wall part anyway). I've only been able to use it with the car charger since then. If I get the Tenergy 18650 charger, will I be able to use the wall unit from it with the docking part for charging the T1 batteries?

While I don't know that charger, it should do an at least 'fair to good' job. I'm talking about the number of mAh actually successfully stored by the charger before it shuts down. Voltage alone doesn't always tell the tale, the speed of charging (current) at the end also effect is (where the selected charger excels as I understand it.

Yes, the 'wall wort' for the Cera charger will support the T1 charger, but not the other way (Cera charger needs more power). The car cords should interchange.

You're welcome. Good luck.

OF

Tom Funk

While I don't know that charger, it should do an at least 'fair to good' job. I'm talking about the number of mAh actually successfully stored by the charger before it shuts down.

OF

Thanks, OF. If I understand this correctly, one charger will charge a 2,250mAh battery to say, 2,200mAh, while another will only get it to 2,100mAh. Can you get readings like this, and if so how? And what is that reading for the Tenergy charger that TV uses? Or is it simply a matter of actually testing how long the battery takes to discharge in the required application after being charged in a particular charger?

Cheers
TF

Tom Funk,
Reactions: OF

chevelle970

Here we have a rare look beneath the ceramic plate on the GL cart. I assume the EO cart would be similar.
K9qwyi1.jpg

OF

Thanks, OF. If I understand this correctly, one charger will charge a 2,250mAh battery to say, 2,200mAh, while another will only get it to 2,100mAh. Can you get readings like this, and if so how? And what is that reading for the Tenergy charger that TV uses? Or is it simply a matter of actually testing how long the battery takes to discharge in the required application after being charged in a particular charger?

You're welcome.

AFAIK what you suggest does not exist, it would require a 'standard battery' (available to everyone) to test against which doesn't exist. So relative testing is all you can get. While there are 'standard loads' that are sometimes used (either fixed resistance or fixed current), the more usual practice for situations like this use the actual load (in this case a typical Cera heater). This is, I understand, exactly what TV did. This is kinda fun when you consider the exact Cera heater hadn't been determined at the time.

I'd expect others that use these 18650s at the four or so Amp level to come up with more or less the same answer.

No, I'm not privy to their test results (or even exact methodology.....that's exactly the sort of stuff companies consider "Intellectual Property" (IP) and protect fiercely. In some measures, the value of the company hinges on such 'trade secrets'. Frankly, I don't want to know the details.

Here we have a rare look beneath the ceramic plate on the GL cart. I assume the EO cart would be similar.

Yes it does. What happened to the top plate? Without it, the airflow through the core must be all goofed up? There's nothing to keep it from ducting straight up the bore anymore, right? Not sweeping the vapor but cooling the heater.....

OF

chevelle970

I didn't feel like boiling it so I rinsed it in warm water in the sink. Couldn't find it in the garbage disposal so it might have disintegrated under the water. I didn't bother using it, just dropped it in the mail and had to grab my old Vape. Sucks to get a nice new expensive Vape only to RMA the thing. Hopefully this thing will continue to evolve and better replacement parts will become available. I like the cera, but I don't think its time to retire my backup vape yet.

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Hey all,

Just wanted to go over the batteries again with ya. We are only using an NMC Chemistry cells, this stands for Nickel Manganese and Cobalt. This is a very new chemistry and only a few cells available, the CGR18650CG and the NCR18650PD.

There are other NCR batteries out there, but they are NOT the same as the NCR18650PD, The "PD" is what signifies the cells chemistry.

The other batteries that are ok to use are the IMRs, these are more than enough kick to use with Cera. My personal preference are either of the NCR's though, they seem to give me the most uniform results time after time.

The chargers are just enough for the 2900mah cell, much more than that and (3100mah) you may want to find one with over 1amp charging output. But remember, the 2900PD is the highest mah for the safe chemistry right now.

Cheers,
Tim

JoeKickass

Woah! It's literally a piece of wire wrapped around a stick!

(Albeit a USA-ceramic stick, and probably USA-wire too)

But for the price I was totally expecting one of those high-tech "roll-up" heaters with the wire inside the ceramic... will a thick coil of wire really outlast a modern industrial ceramic heater?

JoeKickass,
Sometimes I notice my Cera doesn't warm up the cart unless I pull on the spring a little. I noticed this problem ever since the battery does not touch the cart. Anyone else with this problem?

Highnstein,

OF

Sometimes I notice my Cera doesn't warm up the cart unless I pull on the spring a little. I noticed this problem ever since the battery does not touch the cart. Anyone else with this problem?

Yes, I've got an assortment of battery lengths around here. Some are tight, others loose until the end of the screw. I used to tweak the spring but found it returned to size fairly quickly. I don't want to deform it a lot since it works well with some batteries. Putting a dime in behind a loose battery works better for me.

OF

chevelle970

Just got my replacement in the mail. The ceramic plate was found within the envelope and not in the cart. Also, looks different than my last one. Should I try putting in the plate in and see if it works? Also, the cart is reading 2.7ohms when it should be .8-1ohms
XiwwffU.jpg

OF

Just got my replacement in the mail. The ceramic plate was found within the envelope and not in the cart. Also, looks different than my last one. Should I try putting in the plate in and see if it works? Also, the cart is reading 2.7ohms when it should be .8-1ohms

Don't mess with it, the core is coming out of the coil as well as the top plate being broken. It's not likely to stay in even if the resistance was right.....

It must have got kinda beat up getting there. My guess is a drop that landed it threaded end up? Help from our Post Office?

Bummer but IMO it needs stripping down and all the little ceramic shards carefully removed, you don't really want to be breathing them in I'm thinking?

OF

OF,

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
wow that is really bad luck. hopefully this will allow TET to secure packages more so this cannot happen from a drop

Skeena,
Reactions: ogcook

OF

wow that is really bad luck. hopefully this will allow TET to secure packages more so this cannot happen from a drop

You do understand hundreds of these have shipped to folks without this happening? My guess that a bad drop in shipping might be the cause does not mean TV is incompetent.

Did yours get there in good shape? Did you think it was inadequately packed?

Rather than second guess them with third hand 'proof', I'd suggest we trust them to handle this professionally as well...... I'm sure they'll fix the OP up just fine and for a host of reasons (customer satisfaction, cost control, etc.) investigate as they deem fit.

OF

Skeena

no I don't think it was packed wrong at all, it could happen from a drop in those bubble wrap envelopes though(which was shown in an earlier picture) there is postal workers that just dont care

OF

no I don't think it was packed wrong at all, it could happen from a drop in those bubble wrap envelopes though(which was shown in an earlier picture) there is postal workers that just dont care

Thanks. I agree, some Postal Workers don't care. I'd be careful telling 'em though, 'going Postal' and all you know. Sadly, FedEx, UPS and the others are not immune here it seems, although my opinion is the PO is in a whole different league.......

I gotta admit, when you started talking about how TV could take advantage of this to secure their packages more I thought that meant you didn't think they were doing a good job now.

Thanks for clearing that up.

OF

OF,

VapeHead.com

Retailer
Can anyone who dabs chime in on EO performance and taste (assuming freshly cleaned, but used ceramic)?

VapeHead.com,
Yes, I've got an assortment of battery lengths around here. Some are tight, others loose until the end of the screw. I used to tweak the spring but found it returned to size fairly quickly. I don't want to deform it a lot since it works well with some batteries. Putting a dime in behind a loose battery works better for me.

OF

Awesome advice!!! Cera has no issues now:rockon:

Highnstein,
Reactions: OF

vapor 4 life

"Can anyone who dabs chime in on EO performance and taste (assuming freshly cleaned, but used ceramic)?"
I also want to hear this. How does the eo compare to the nail in taste and effect? Who has run more than 10 grams thru? Does it work like new after cleaning? Has anyone torched one clean yet?

vapor 4 life,

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I had a really strange experience with my CLL yesterday. I had run maybe two bowls through it without incident earlier in the day and was on my way to pack up a third one. I'm always using a fresh battery to start a session now, which seems like some kind of feat given I only have one battery. Anyways, I've been using JCat's start-up method, warming up the cart prior to packing. I was watching the heating coil through the bottom of the bowl, waiting for it to glow red… But it wasn't. I should have timed it, but it seemed like 45 seconds to a minute with nothing but darkness, although there was a very small amount of heat up at the top of the body, right under the cart.

At this point I saw something that I didn't believe at first… I cupped my other hand around the top of the LL cart to block out ambient light, and brought the cart up to my eye to see if it was glowing faintly in there at all. All I could see was the faintest point of light, only visible through one of the holes at the bottom of the bowl. I didn't think it was real at first because no matter how I maneuvered the cart I couldn't see the light through any of the other holes. Shortly after, as I pulled my head and hand away from the thing and scratched one with the other, I saw sparks! On the opposite side of the bowl, under the holes, it looked like a constant sparking such as you might see when metal is being cut or what have you… I only left the button pressed down for a few seconds more because it surprised and worried me so much. I set it down, took it apart, and sent an email to TET describing what I'd seen.

An hour or two later, in sadness, I tried putting it back together to see if I could replicate the spectacle. Lo and behold, after a spark or two, the cart heat up properly to max glow in about 10 seconds flat. That's about twice as fast as it usually does. And since then it's been hitting very well! Lots of thick feeling flavorful vapor, last night and this morning. Enough to make me nearly choke sometimes. Now, it is only my third consecutive day having ample supply with which to supply my Cera, so you can take the difference in performance with a grain of salt. But really, it seems to be performing better since the incident… :shrug:

I'm sure I'll hear from TET during the coming business week, but I wanted to write something here at FC as well, ever the helpful den of knowledge and madness such as it is. Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here? In my cart, I mean. Don't try and explain this place… :goat:

JoeKickass

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?
Coils might have shorted somewhere (lower resistance) if it feels hotter. Otherwise if it just didn't heat and now heats to a normal temp it probably has a break in the coil, and only temporarily sport welded itself into working, try not to bump it while you wait for a new one!

Skeena

Got my cera late in the day yesterday. ill post my likes/dislikes in a couple days once I have gotten used to it

Hey folks, here is my thought on the Cera.
LL: I played with it for a week, and sold it to J-cat who has been pretty spot on with his observations.
So I did really like it, here is what I liked:
1. The flavor is awesome, and consistent through most the load(similar to the EVO).I found the flavor could char some if packing too much herbs in search of clouds. So I settled on a medium to loose pack for clean flavor throughout.
2. Build quality and design were is great. It just feels like a quality tool in your hands, not unlike the car door effect. Feels like an old Lincoln.
3. Vapor density was enough for me as my tolerance has been drastically reduced. It won't be thick enough for all, but does well in its own right. Technique means a lot for achieving the clouds folks want, but visible vapor can be achieved with minimal technique. I think J-cat is definitely on to something with the need to repack after a pull or two, which will fill the airgap around the load and force the air through and not around the load. Maybe a redisigned MP could help keep the load down.
4. The whole made in USA helps a guy sleep at night.TET really cares about putting out a quality product and it shows.

Here is my criticisms:
1.After a session or 2 the unit does get pretty hot. The zirconia seems to be a double edged sword. The insulative properties are phenomenal, but it holds the heat for quite a bit. Really though, by the time its too hot to hold, one should be sufficiently medicated, and ready to put it down for a few. The thermal sleeve most likely takes care of this issue, but takes away from the beauty of the cera in the meantime.
2. Dare I say... I still feel a latching switch is still necessary for the LL. It's just not very comfortable to hold the button down for extended periods of time, and I feel it takes away from the portability/stealth aspect to have to hold the button. While I am more understanding of why(hot heat) they can't, I still find it necessary. I also understand sourcing the right switch is an issue, but those wounds can be healed in time.
@tim: I'm very sorry for HOW I displayed my dismay about the switch when it was announced. While I still feel the same, It didn't need to be portrayed like a child, and shots like "tet got way ahead of themselves" were unwanted, some changes are out of your control, and most likely not ideal in your minds either. I'm sorry.

So in the end, the cera LL is a very nice vape that can fulfill most peoples needs. I most likely will buy one again down the line, but what I needed in a portable/stealth vape was not quite achieved yet.(I know I'm picky).
My phone hates these long posts, so ill review the EL/Eo soon.
Happy vapin' folks.

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
Can anyone who dabs chime in on EO performance and taste (assuming freshly cleaned, but used ceramic)?
I also want to hear this. How does the eo compare to the nail in taste and effect? Who has run more than 10 grams thru?
I cannot comment in regards to "after cleaning" because I have not found the need to perform that step yet. By my estimate I have put a half ounce+ of concentrates through the Cera of varying origin and quality since it arrived.

As demonstrated in the original videos once the hits get "whispy" or tasting "thin" then it is time to re-load and re-prime the cart for optimal use. You can keep milking it past this but it is obviously diminishing returns.

As far as I am concerned I have recently completed putting the Cera through my ultimate test, a 4000 mile road trip. Unfortunately around two hours into the trip the switch died and I had to bust out a tin-foil replacement, so the entire time I was using it with the switch housing in place to retain the battery while finagling the foil in place for action. It also did not "bode well" in my mind but it didn't really matter in the end.

This was part of the reason I left the T1 at home, the load capacity was primary concern but the unreliable (once greasy) trigger action was going to be problematic after long stretches of the road. With the battery retained it was just a matter of keeping track of the foil which was annoying but not impossible.

I loaded the EO cart to capacity before departure, hit it twice around every two hours when gassing up, swapped it for the LQ cart and then went on my merry way. This carried me through a 24 hour and a 36 hour trip no breaks, no problems. If you've ever been on a long road trip and had to "maintain" you understand how complicated and problematic this can be. The Cera performed flawlessly and in my opinion this is where it really shines. Why expect it to out-peform a nail and a heady tube? No way, no how.

At the same time, I will never be taking a goddamn oil rig, torch and dabber on a road trip any time soon, even if I did live in a medical state and it was a block away to the fucking In and Out burger.

As one of my buddies discovered you can "burn" the oil suspended in the ceramic by holding the switch down and not inhaling. What this means to me is that as long as you are inhaling at a slow rate, even if it is really "low" on load, it will produce something. An interesting side effect and probably related to the concentrate manufacture is that the vapor production is surprisingly high as the medication drops off. I'm not sure if this is "impurities" or just what's remaining, but I'd imagine it's the other side of the coin Tim mentioned a long time ago - the goodies/absolute best materials vape off at such a low temperature, this is why the first few goes automatically taste superior to a nail.

Similarly as long as you draw through it constantly it seems much less likely to "burn" or "claim up" the remaining concentrate. For me this was a sticking point with the Rev/Dart combo, if people didn't know how to draw appropriately not only did they get a shitty intake, they basically burned up whatever was loaded so it tasted super "claimy" until that was all vaped out and reloaded.

Basically what we have here is a portable e-nail shrouded in ceramics to carry the load. If that doesn't appeal to you, I don't know what to say. The only person at the last trade show I attended who even knew what the Cera was (and if I was selling mine, hint - fuck no) explained to me that he recently picked up his second e-nail, so that he didn't have to "talk over the torch" when his bros were having a session. :lol: To me that was major kudos to TV, as yet again every other rookie under the sun was walking around using/selling their rebranded chinese garbage e-cigs :uhoh:

Top Bottom