Discontinued Thermovape Cera

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I 've been using the cera for about 2 weeks now. I am still having trouble with the LL, can't seem to get the thick vapor clouds. Sometimes I do but for the most part I don't.

Any tips for breathing or how to get the best use of the LL Cera?
Theres the 3 step technique...i read it when i first got the cera, everyone should really but anyway heres what i do....

Fill it up to the top without packing it down really, then hold the button for about 20 seconds to preheat, keep holding and take a slow long inhale...then exhale quickly to see if theres any vapor which there usually is...

If not i preheat for another 10 seconds then repeat.

First couple hits are usually whispy then get thicker as you go...the longer you release the button for between hits the longer you need to preheat when u continue...

Hope that helps

OF

Any tips for breathing or how to get the best use of the LL Cera?

Ah, another cloud chaser! Welcome to the Forum and all the fun.

For breathing you're on your own. If you don't have a plan for it by now, it's too late. Best advice for the future is to remember to keep doing it?

As far as clouds from your new friend (and I think it's a mistake as a goal.....), go with dry bud, fine grind, medium to firm pack, fresh battery, solid preheat at step 1 and not ending step 2 too early. Hold out for a rock solid test puff.

Flavor will suffer some, but that's where maximum production is.

Regards,

OF

neptunes007

Theres the 3 step technique...i read it when i first got the cera, everyone should really but anyway heres what i do....

Fill it up to the top without packing it down really, then hold the button for about 20 seconds to preheat, keep holding and take a slow long inhale...then exhale quickly to see if theres any vapor which there usually is...

First couple hits are usually whispy then get thicker as you go...the longer you release the button for between hits the longer you need to preheat when u continue...

Hope that helps

How hot would you suggest the heating chamber should be? Also I've noticed that the 2900 battery that came with it seems to short on me. In the dark, I view the body of the Thermovape flicker during preheats.

Thanks for the input OF & Mynameismud

neptunes007,
Burning the midnight oil in more ways than one:

Thank you TET/ OF/D9! Its been running solid since a quick repair after the initial Cera release.
Dont know if I can ever catch up in this thread, think I'm 9 months behind.
Stay warm folks!

OF

How hot would you suggest the heating chamber should be? Also I've noticed that the 2900 battery that came with it seems to short on me. In the dark, I view the body of the Thermovape flicker during preheats.

It defies actual measurement. Noah at TV told me his best estimate was 'over 1600F'. Basically 'as hot as it can go' before you start step 2.

I'd be concerned about poor contact. You should be able to see contact made through the large cross holes at the top of the tube. You can also sense 'shift' as you tip the tube and tighten the end cap. You need a full turn or more thread after solid contact. Easy enough to test, put a dime on the bottom of the battery before screwing the cap on, if this 'fixes' it it's time to think about sending it in. I have seen thin ceramic washers (early Beta unit, shouldn't be in production), and spring length issues cause this. There's also an option in the screw plate (two sets of holes, offset in placement) that lets the plate (and therefore the cart) move up and down. I've no idea if this can make it longer or shorter (don't know which holes were finally used.

OF

420time

Hope that helps

pretty much same method for me but i use the EO and warm up is usually 30 seconds to get really visible vapor. just hold the button down and keep puffing away. after 3 +minutes let go of the button since it feels hot, wait 2 minutes or so before firing it up again.

figured out that the stock battery i got from TET runs great, now the 2 batteries i bought from orbotronics or something takes a good minute oh heating to get vapor from. been only a month or so of using the batteries......

They are the NCR18650PD

420time,

notoriousLrg

sTrange cLouds
pretty much same method for me but i use the EO and warm up is usually 30 seconds to get really visible vapor. just hold the button down and keep puffing away. after 3 +minutes let go of the button since it feels hot, wait 2 minutes or so before firing it up again.

Lately, just been using the ceramic top cap without the ceramic or delrin mouthpiece just to get a gauge on vapor point. My Cera EO also requires at least 30 seconds before vapor is visible, even though the manual refers to ~5 second warm up time. But I do find that even prior to vapor, it does provide some medicinal effect (as oft mentioned by OF). So 420time, you have a continuous session for 3+ minutes with your EO with continuous inhale - exhale? I will have to give that a try.

I also have issues with flavor, and burning while loading has been mentioned. When this is mentioned, is the thought that it is related to warming the oil to facilitate loading (which I do minimal), or the process of warming up the cartridge after loading for the ceramic to absorb the oil, because I do not much of either?

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

figured out that the stock battery i got from TET runs great, now the 2 batteries i bought from orbotronics or something takes a good minute oh heating to get vapor from. been only a month or so of using the batteries......

They are the NCR18650PD
Lately, just been using the ceramic top cap without the ceramic or delrin mouthpiece just to get a gauge on vapor point. My Cera EO also requires at least 30 seconds before vapor is visible, even though the manual refers to ~5 second warm up time. But I do find that even prior to vapor, it does provide some medicinal effect (as oft mentioned by OF). So 420time, you have a continuous session for 3+ minutes with your EO with continuous inhale - exhale? I will have to give that a try.

I also have issues with flavor, and burning while loading has been mentioned. When this is mentioned, is the thought that it is related to warming the oil to facilitate loading (which I do minimal), or the process of warming up the cartridge after loading for the ceramic to absorb the oil, because I do not much of either?

Thats crazy, i usually do a 20-30 second preheat for LL, since i got it repaired, and its working flawlessly. I bought my cera and LL from the classifieds and i think my LL was always put of spec because it works amazing since i got it back and never worked this good. Definitely my favorite portable ive owned now for that...

For EO, which i got directly from TV, i only need a 5-10 second preheat MAX. With the proper amount loaded. Anymore then that and it burns... I was getting whispy results or having to preheat for a lot longer like you guys were and then i realized i wasnt loading enough. Not sure thats your guys issue though with the long preheats, or if you even have an issue...just throwing it out there.

Just want to add that my top ceramic wafer still looks pretty saturated when i begin to see decreased vapor production, but with a 20-30 second preheat i could still get results(im assuming from the buffer). Just adding a small amount dramatically increased results and decreased preheating.

Also, @420time, i could be wrong but i thought i remembered reading that TV got their batteries from orbtronic, or maybe it was just that they were the same and cheaper from orbtronic cant remember now...but i had a similar issue where only my 2900 mah batteries (from different sources) worked decently with LL and i had to work much harder to get okay production from the 2250 mah batteries...turned out it was my LL out of spec as mentioned earlier and not the batteries at all

Last edited:

Nimrod

Greetings from across the pond. Had a ti LL cera for a month now while reading this forum. Apart from a hot switch aborting long sessions, I still find it works a treat for a few quick hits. I can get 5-6 powerful hits off just enough pollen to cover the holes. The interactive nature of the LL cera means you have to work it (inhale hard) to get the best results especially when the initial flavour has gone. My take for those confused with the 3 step methodology is to heat up for 35-60 seconds depending on battery freshness. Inhale slowly until you feel a bit of resistance, and then inhale harder maintaining and managing the said resistance. It takes a bit of practice. At first I always seemed to run out of breath at the critical moment ! It seems easier to gauge with small amounts, I`ll experiment with bigger loads when my new switch arrives. Not enough heat from a cold start is a definite no-no for all your eager friends seeking instant gratification. Too much heat can also be difficult to re-correct without a cool down. A 45 second warm up seems to have a small load ready to go. Keep the power on for the first two or three large hits and then let it go. From now onwards press the button 5-10 seconds before each hit to keep the load is at operating temperature. I am at a loss to what all this obsession with clouds is all about ? I thought the idea was to keep all the good stuff on the inside ! A careful puff on a joint held in for as long as possible also produces little visible evidence. Despite being capable of standing up to the rigorous experimentations of FC users, with the smooth delivery and diaphragmatic breathing method of intake, I suspect the designers had `suitable for opera singers` in mind as the ultimate sales pitch.

Nimrod,
Reactions: steama

Czechyourhead

Thats crazy, i usually do a 20-30 second preheat for LL, since i got it repaired, and its working flawlessly. I bought my cera and LL from the classifieds and i think my LL was always put of spec because it works amazing since i got it back and never worked this good. Definitely my favorite portable ive owned now for that...

For EO, which i got directly from TV, i only need a 5-10 second preheat MAX. With the proper amount loaded. Anymore then that and it burns... I was getting whispy results or having to preheat for a lot longer like you guys were and then i realized i wasnt loading enough. Not sure thats your guys issue though with the long preheats, or if you even have an issue...just throwing it out there.

Just want to add that my top ceramic wafer still looks pretty saturated when i begin to see decreased vapor production, but with a 20-30 second preheat i could still get results(im assuming from the buffer). Just adding a small amount dramatically increased results and decreased preheating.

Also, @420time, i could be wrong but i thought i remembered reading that TV got their batteries from orbtronic, or maybe it was just that they were the same and cheaper from orbtronic cant remember now...but i had a similar issue where only my 2900 mah batteries (from different sources) worked decently with LL and i had to work much harder to get okay production from the 2250 mah batteries...turned out it was my LL out of spec as mentioned earlier and not the batteries at all

I was having similar issues with my LL cart with 2250s. I was beginning to think it was the strap or switch.(already experienced that) (But my EO cart was still working). Then I thought maybe my batteries were on the way out. (A decent multi meter proved that wrong). Cart was out of spec. Quick trip back to TV, good as new.

I agree 100% about under filling EO carts. Frequently topping off with small amounts, as opposed to filling the cart and running to dry, makes a world of difference. Takes a little practice not to over-fill though. Of course, when in doubt....use a fresh charged battery.

Czechyourhead,
Reactions: OF

notoriousLrg

sTrange cLouds
Thanks for the suggestion of EO topping off. Can someone recommend a good digital multimeter (like from amazon)? What is the minimum battery voltage at which point the Cera OEM battery should be charged?

notoriousLrg,

Busta

Thanks for the suggestion of EO topping off. Can someone recommend a good digital multimeter (like from amazon)? What is the minimum battery voltage at which point the Cera OEM battery should be charged?

I find when my battery voltage reaches around 3.5v the vapor production drops off. You can still get some hits off of it but it is noticebly weaker.

I would think that any voltmeter that has 2 decimal places would be fine.

Busta,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I would go to home depot or lowes if you can, you can find one there thats more than capable of doing the job for around $20 maybe less and dont have to worry about shipping...

On another note, had a scare last night... Took a couple hits from EO on a freshly charged battery, then did one quick session with LL...came back a couple hours later and EO would not work, and no glow at all from LL...so i took the switch off and i tried some aluminum foil and bam LL instantly glowed...so i assumed it was the switch but i tried a fresh battery when i got home and it was working again...

Theres no way i drained the battery though last night before i got no results at all, so i dont know why that happened or why the same battery worked with foil and not the switch...

Mynameismud,

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
When my strap failed mine would do the same thing, next time it acts up try pushing down on the cart or up on the switch (hard) mine would make contact and work again. I used it this way for over 6 months until I could finally send her in and get her repaired.

Soflo,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
When my strap failed mine would do the same thing, next time it acts up try pushing down on the cart or up on the switch (hard) mine would make contact and work again. I used it this way for over 6 months until I could finally send her in and get her repaired.
Yeah that happened to me too and i checked it immediately... Not the problem but thanks for the advice...

I think its the spring on the switch. None of my flat top batteries work at all unlessi. Use aluminum foil instead of the switch. I tried stretching it out and now the flat tops are kinda working...

GR

Not all of my Panasonic batteries are exactly the same length. I find the spring tends to loose some spring especially if keeping a battery in the Cera at all times, a dime in the end does wonders for making a solid connection with the slightly shorter batts.

I have two Cera's and my first one had a strap problem but neither have had an issue with a ton of use so it would seem that problem has been sorted out for the most part.

GR,

OF

Yeah that happened to me too and i checked it immediately... Not the problem but thanks for the advice...

I think its the spring on the switch. None of my flat top batteries work at all unlessi. Use aluminum foil instead of the switch. I tried stretching it out and now the flat tops are kinda working...

Try sticking a dime or two under the battery, not all batteries are the same length and the spring doesn't have a lot of tension for safety reasons. You can watch the battery make contact through the bigger holes at the top, it should make contact with a turn or two on the cap left.

Stretching the spring is not a permanent fix as you've discovered. If you can get the switch to unscrew from the cap (they usually do unless the epoxy got loose) perhaps TV can send you a replacement switch?

OF

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Try sticking a dime or two under the battery, not all batteries are the same length and the spring doesn't have a lot of tension for safety reasons. You can watch the battery make contact through the bigger holes at the top, it should make contact with a turn or two on the cap left.

Stretching the spring is not a permanent fix as you've discovered. If you can get the switch to unscrew from the cap (they usually do unless the epoxy got loose) perhaps TV can send you a replacement switch?

OF
Yeah ive been going back and forth with zeki so well see what happens... Its just weird because ive been using the same battery since i got them in july with no issue then all of a sudden it doesnt work at all and none of the CGR batteries will fire unless i stretch the spring out which i hate doing.

Ill try the dime and see if that helps thanks for the tip

Mynameismud,

zombonaut

Does anybody know anything about using a fine grade of sandpaper to buff out marks or scratches on the Cera body? If so can you please tell me what kind you use?

Thanks!

OF

Does anybody know anything about using a fine grade of sandpaper to buff out marks or scratches on the Cera body? If so can you please tell me what kind you use?

Bad plan, the Zirconia will win. And sandpaper is going to be all wrong for the surface.

What you want is 'Scotch-Brite'. Like the green 'plastic scrubber pads' used to wash dishes. At TV there's a box of the pads, mostly with lots of use on them. I have a worn out one from the kitchen stashed away I use for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Heavy-Sponge-426-6-Count/dp/B004IR3044/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389323549&sr=8-2&keywords=scotch brite

That's the more common 'stuck on a kitchen sponge' version, it also comes in 1/4 inch or so thick sheets.

OF

VapoRoor

DAB-a-DAB I'll dooooo
I've been waiting patiently.

Now time is going on and on.

Where's a little light on the Cera Mini???

It's been months since we saw any kind of update

VapoRoor,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I still really suck at loading the eo cart. I heat it for like 20 sec and melt some bho on stirring it with my dabber. It always starts to vape while loading. It tastes harsh and shitty. The same bho in a globe pen tastes good. What am I doing wrong. I'm literally irritated throat and hacking up stuff after using this. Doesn't even happen on a nail.

I've been trying to figure out the eo cart for a long time. A gram of oil Is a lot for me, so I hatedoing it wrong and wasting half my oil supply. So far its not enjoyable and that is the opposite of what everyone seems to think. So clearly I'm doing something wrong.

darkrom,
Top Bottom