Discontinued Thermovape Cera

OF

Ehhh I don't wanna send it in. I'm sure it works, I just want to make sure its as clean as its getting before I reload it. I'll give it one more boil and iso to be safe then its time to load.

Understood. IMO a 20/20/20 burn run makes it sterile if not pretty.......

Good luck, you know you'll love it when it's full of oil and vapor again.

OF

darkrom

Great Scott!
That I will. While I'm messing around with ecigs for stealth use, I can say hands down the cera is the cleanest tastiest way to consume oil that I've tried.

The issue was I let some people use it and put some less than stellar oil in it and it started to cake up and taste gross. Deep clean and it'll be good as new.

OF

The issue was I let some people use it and put some less than stellar oil in it and it started to cake up and taste gross. Deep clean and it'll be good as new.

Boy do I know that one. I loaned the Beta unit out a number of times, it always came back weighing more than when it left. In a couple cases I didn't even wanna know what went down the mouth.

"It's only a rental" applies to other things than cars I guess......

Good on ya for loaning it out, but this is the dark side?

OF

tedthehed

mine turned black pretty quickly, luckily it didn't fall off...and now about my cera...it turned black
pretty quickly too. I never cleaned it, except to vape it till it wouldn't vape no more (sic) ...
it gets very hot and so still vapes as effectively as it did when new..
I wil have to try an alcohol soak overnight just for giggles..see if it makes a diff..

meanwhile, I cut a star shape design out of some absorbent material like the guy on tv who got his tongue bit off by the hooker sells, you know the stuff? -- so I put it just above the mouth piece and hold it in place with the rubber , position it so theres a gap betwixt the holes, and keep it moist with an eyedropper! ..the effect is astounding! It's night and day between the smooth moist warmth of the blotter and direct vapor..

this is the grease I use to keep the o rings lubed and sliding easily, a tube will last you a life time, at least!
amazon charges a lot for shipping, so try to find it at an electronics store...

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Silicone-Dielectric-Compound-oz/dp/B000LJBPFY. (paste worked this time :) )

and don't worry about getting it on you batteries, it won't block the current even though it's called a "dielectric" --
when two metal surfaces make contact the grease is pushed out of the way..many
electricians and phone workers for that matter use Vaseline for the same purpose, to preserve moving electrical contact points from the air and moisture..
in fact it will help the connection by keep the metal from corroding or oxidizing.

you're welcome! :)

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Silicone-Dielectric-Compound-oz/dp/B000LJBPFY

this is another famously good lube for o-rings, , known to be food safe, and won't run up to 600F :

http://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

for some reason this link wouldn't post in the preceding post when trying to add it later.. ?

mod note: TIFTFY. Two posts merged. ..thanks! (added another link, worked this time. )

but wait there's more!

Found the perfect size o ring to fit n the bottom of the cera to make it sit upright . It is stable as it's tall structure can be too, I can give it a good 1/2 inch tip and it won't topple over..

the oring is called a "no. 2-211" in my o ring kit, I don't know if that's a universal designation, so the measurements are :

13/16" ID x 1+1/16" OD with a1/8" thick wall.

I simply wrap a piece of white vinyl tape around the bottom to contain the oring. it looks good, and works perfectly.

Last edited:
tedthehed,

ej2389

Disaster Strikes: My Cera has already fallen apart on day 2. The screws in the LL cartridge just went flying out when I unscrewed the cartridge from the main body. WTF somebody please kill me now. How did this get through QC?

ej2389,
Reactions: ataxian

tedthehed

perhaps all is not lost. what is unscrewed can be screwed . notify cera of the problem.
see if they will send another cartridge if you screw it together yourself and it doesn't work.
worst case, they say, no, we will send new one only if you send in old one.

I know they specifically say don't unscrew those screws..and that they can tell if you do nscrew them and that voids the warranty.
but maybe they will accept the fault and help you out... good luck.

ej2389

perhaps all is not lost. what is unscrewed can be screwed . notify cera of the problem.
see if they will send another cartridge if you screw it together yourself and it doesn't work.
worst case, they say, no, we will send new one only if you send in old one.

I know they specifically say don't unscrew those screws..and that they can tell if you do screw them and that voids the warranty.
but maybe they will accept the fault and help you out... good luck.
Well it will be covered because I didn't unscrew them, they must have been super loose because all I did was take the LL cartridge off. I never touched the screws, they just flew out when I took off the cartridge. And one is now lost so I'm definitely in for another wait which I absolutely despise. God damnit.

ej2389,

tedthehed

there there let's not get god involved it's not his fault, god knows worse things have happened in a life...
are you SURE you didn't take a flying screwdriver and flying unflyingscrew them??? ok. ok. I believe you.

assuming some inattentive person on the assembly line put the screws in the holes and forgot to tighten them;
do you have a driver that would fit them?

..and, hey, smoke a doob.....noob dude! ;)

ej2389

there there let's not get god involved it's not his fault, god knows worse things have happened in a life...
are you SURE you didn't take a flying screwdriver and flying unflyingscrew them??? ok. ok. I believe you.

assuming some inattentive person on the assembly line put the screws in the holes and forgot to tighten them;

..and, hey, smoke a doob.....noob dude! ;)
I don't and I would rather not take a chance of voiding the warranty.

OF

That didn't happen. I can assure you, I've built LL cores in the shop at TV. Fitting the screws is a very demanding job, calls for a fine touch to feel the stop in each screw since you can put them in too far and wreck the threaded hole. You carefully start each screw (they cross thread very easy, there's just one full turn in the threads in the body), then run it home before going to the next.

This is why we've never heard of this problem before. Once in a while one screw might come loose, but not all four.

It's definitely not a job for guys who haven't been trained. The best advice is to box it up and send it home.

It they came out as the core was being unscrewed the threaded holes are sure to have been damaged as the screw pulled out. They will need replacement (meaning a rebuild). Putting the screws back, even if you know what you're doing, won't last.

TV will make it right again.....no matter how it happened. And quickly I bet. Good luck.

OF

ej2389

That didn't happen. I can assure you, I've built LL cores in the shop at TV. Fitting the screws is a very demanding job, calls for a fine touch to feel the stop in each screw since you can put them in too far and wreck the threaded hole. You carefully start each screw (they cross thread very easy, there's just one full turn in the threads in the body), then run it home before going to the next.

This is why we've never heard of this problem before. Once in a while one screw might come loose, but not all four.

It's definitely not a job for guys who haven't been trained. The best advice is to box it up and send it home.

It they came out as the core was being unscrewed the threaded holes are sure to have been damaged as the screw pulled out. They will need replacement (meaning a rebuild). Putting the screws back, even if you know what you're doing, won't last.

TV will make it right again.....no matter how it happened. And quickly I bet. Good luck.

OF
Well that is good to hear. I had my secretary email TET last night(lol jk). I'm sure this will be resolved quickly as I know from reading here that their CS is top notch. I'm past the disappointment now since I have some wax on the way I can just use that until, but man it hit me like a freight train when it happened. Also just to clarify it was 3/4 screws that came out, 1 of them looks to be still in there snugly.

darkrom

Great Scott!
They will take care of you. I'm one of the far more vocal supporters of thermovape, and I've had to send in the cera 3x so far. Still think it is worth every penny. I never had to send in my T1 even once. I find the cera to be worth its flaws easily in vapor quality and conservation. Every time I pack my pax I'm left thinking "this is like 4-5 cera bowls EASILY and won't be any more effective!"

Its worth the wait, but I'm with you with the frustration. I hate having to part with mine. At least you haven't used it yet hopefully. It would be even more frustrating if you knew what you were missing.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So my EO cart has black ceramic after boiling AND 2 iso soaks. What is the next step to try to get that back to white? It needs a serious cleaning because its just gross as hell at this point.
Yeah, i keep getting worried that my ceramic is black after loading and using oil in it. Ive cleaned it 3-4 times since i got it and every time is comes back to white. Ive only ran about 10 grams through it though so Im sure it will eventually turn black for good though. That will be a sad day.
Well that is good to hear. I had my secretary email TET last night(lol jk). I'm sure this will be resolved quickly as I know from reading here that their CS is top notch. I'm past the disappointment now since I have some wax on the way I can just use that until, but man it hit me like a freight train when it happened. Also just to clarify it was 3/4 screws that came out, 1 of them looks to be still in there snugly.
yes the customer service is top notch and they will definitely take care of you. Just dont be worried if youdodndget a response til monday. Both of the times i had issues (1 dart, 1 cera) happened to fall on a thursday and friday. I sent out the customer support from bothtxime in the early afternoon (1pm ET) and both times i didnt get a response til monday... Just a heads up

tedthehed

...wonder if I can send in my looseleaf for a second melt cart. , to have as back up..?

by the way , did everyone find the moist filter and oring lube, and how to make a cera stand up on the table info I posted
redundant? has it been done?

I use AW batteries and they are flat top, work fine. it's just a big spring in there and a dimple on the other end, anything that makes contact will work..(.two springs would be better, though..more impact inertia absorption that way)

tedthehed,

OF

for the cera does it matter if the batteries are flat top?

No, that's fine.

The original Beta unit I got (with the sliding switch that didn't pan out) was a 'button top only' deal. But the production units have the center contact proud enough to prevent problems (the strap attachment can cause a short circuit if not correctly made).

OF

OF,

OF

Is 0.035inch the right size hex key needed for the EO screws?

Yes, that's the size to fit the screws, but there is no "right size hex key needed for the EO screws" from an owner's standpoint.....you're not supposed to mess with the screws.

It is not a job for the untrained. That's the policy and design. IMO advice otherwise is not responsible. What you do with yours is fine of course (provided you don't demand warranty service afterwards of course), but encouraging others to mess with it without fully explaining the issues is not right IMO.

Sending it in is the right thing, making UPS, USPS, FedEx or some other shipper the right tool?

OF

Darb

Yes, that's the size to fit the screws, but there is no "right size hex key needed for the EO screws" from an owner's standpoint.....you're not supposed to mess with the screws.

It is not a job for the untrained. That's the policy and design. IMO advice otherwise is not responsible. What you do with yours is fine of course (provided you don't demand warranty service afterwards of course), but encouraging others to mess with it without fully explaining the issues is not right IMO.

Sending it in is the right thing, making UPS, USPS, FedEx or some other shipper the right tool?

OF
Thanks for the warning. I realize I will void my warranty. The same as I chose to void the warranty on my very expensive vehicle by heavily modifying the engine and other components with only 800km on the odometer.
Not what I would suggest anybody else should do just my way of doing things.
I can see why you would advise against it though. Those screws are barley in a full thread, if that. There was a load of crap built up on my ceramic disc and heater. Took a while to iso soak/torch clean but it came almost as clean as new. I reassembled everything and loaded with fresh oil. The core performs and tastes like new!!

Last edited:

BIG TOE

Getting my first vape for my birthday! Got it down to the WISPR2 or thermovape, like both due to their portability. I am a current pipe smoker and am looking for a hit to satify. Please advise guys!!

BIG TOE,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Getting my first vape for my birthday! Got it down to the WISPR2 or thermovape, like both due to their portability. I am a current pipe smoker and am looking for a hit to satify. Please advise guys!!
Theyre both great options...since its your first vape, and it sounds like your mainly going to be using it for flowers, i would suggest the wispr2. Far easier to get the hang of, very little learning curve, and no need to charge it, plus youll save some money...just make sure you get 5x refined butane

If you plan on doing oil, and/or herbs, go with the thermovape

NothingToSeeHere

Accessory Maker
Well, my LL cart died. It gets nice and hot but it barely browns. It's been at TET for a few days now and I haven't heard what's wrong with it.

I just bought myself a Volcano Digital as a backup. Or primary. I'll do a little bake-off..no pun intended.

I've been vaping 100% since I got my Cera this past spring. Had to combust last night. Awful experience. Made me remember why I vape. I miss my cera.

Unconnected

So ive been reading a lot of this thread, im in the market for a new portable vape, i currently run an ExtremeQ at home, and used to own a MFLB (which was crap tbh, i like to get stoned, not just a little buzzed) anyway this new Cera vape looks pretty fucking baller, the fact its not made out of cancer causing materials and covered in hazadous residues like loads of stuff coming out of china is is a huge plus, even with my extreme q i worry a bit. Made in USA, that i can trust.

Anyway this thread is huge and even though i have read 50% of the posts i still have a few questions that i hope some of the experienced users could guide me on.

1. Im from australia, BHO/oils/wax is very hard to get here unless you diy, i will only be using the vera with chopped up bud or kief when using the cera like this, how does it compare to a desktop vape? i have been vaping for about 3 years i consider myself to have pro vape technique so dont factor in the learning curve, i really want to be able to produce decent density hits with this vaporiser, my MFLB would make vapour but i could barely feel it, unlike my extremeQ which hits hard and dense. I really hope someone has both a cera and an ExQ

2. Are there still quality control issues with the carts? i have read of a few peoples cars being dead on arrival or not functioning well and needing to be repaired early on. Because i live in australia the warrenty is pointless, no way im sending something covered in weed residue through airmail. What are the chances of getting a doa/not functioning 100% vape if i ordered today? are the QC problems sorted now?

3. On average how many full bowls of weed can you vape out of this thing before the batteries are dead? does it consume power when not being used to vaporise?

4. How long do the carts last? i will need to buy a new LL cart each time it dies because i cant warrenty them, at 100$ a pop, im happy to do that if they last a year as advertised, but not so much if its a monthly expense and they die all the time.

Unconnected,

OF

I think you'll be happy with Cera LL production, but don't discount the learning curve. There's a definite new technique you'll need to learn, but once you learn to control/transfer heat you should be able to 'automatically' get into that mode and strip the good stuff out in short order. Once there there's a lot more power on tap to do the work quickly, and more herb in play.

You can expect between 30 and 45 minutes of power from a charge. You'll need say 20 seconds to set up the hit (less if it's hot already) plus the hit times, IMO plenty. A second charged battery in the pocket is good insurance.

I think you can trust a new cart to work a long time. IMO there ever were 'QC problems', but rather ones of evolving design issues (fixed by changes not inspections) in the common way.....but folks are more comfortable with the QC concept I guess. Almost all the out of box and infant failures I know of were not core issues. There were switch and end cap connection issues, strap connection issues at both ends and flex issues (leaing to tears) in the strap itself where it bends at the top. All were identified and the design changed. In most cases, those in later service with no issues are basically safe as the connection (for example) is sound. There was a progression of crimp, conductive epoxy, soldering and a couple different welding schemes leading to the current laser welding which seems to have ended this issues for the time being. Again, these are all issues outside the core.

Some few cores have failed (the total half filled a coffee cup last I saw). A while back a shift was made from hand to machine wound coils. As of a couple months ago (last time I asked) there had been no failures of the new style cores not attributed to tampering with the screws, most of them on EO cores. No, I'm not sucking around for a bunch of '......well MY core....' posts, just repeating what I've seen and been told.

I did a bunch of Beta testing, and loaned it out for others to try. This involved several different power ratings and SS and Ti types. No actual 'burn out' failures in the lot. I'd bet the MTBF is well into the hundreds or hours. It's a pretty tough little rascal, really.

I think you'll find it an effective, solid design well made out of top notch materials and get good service like the rest of us.

Regards,

OF

OF,
Top Bottom