The Toad from Morwood

SonicBacon

You may be right, but these issues should also present themselves in the Mighty capsule/TM model but many folk seem happy with the results.
Perhaps the majority of heated air is forced through the capsule by the stem simply being up against the capsule. It won't be a perfect seal but it seems like maybe it doesn't have to be?
Perhaps the Mighty cap's are a closer fit than the Lobo's would be in the Nomad and it won't work as well.
Hopefully someone has some Lobo cap's and can tell me what the clearance is like through the O-rings and into the Toad body.
I just tried the sample capsule that came with my Lobo and it fits inside all my Toad stems with 1-2mm of play between the capsule and the inner stem wall. I haven’t tried to use it that way, but it definitely fits in the stems and inserts into the Toad without any issues.

The sample capsule looks alot like the same ones for the POTV One, not sure if there is a different capsule than the sample one they provided.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I just tried the sample capsule that came with my Lobo and it fits inside all my Toad stems with 1-2mm of play between the capsule and the inner stem wall. I haven’t tried to use it that way, but it definitely fits in the stems and inserts into the Toad without any issues.

The sample capsule looks alot like the same ones for the POTV One, not sure if there is a different capsule than the sample one they provided.
That's a surprise, thanks for checking this out for me.
@Stu kindly checked the fit of his Lobo capsule in the Nomad glass stem and his wouldn't fit.
But what I'm really asking, and still seek an answer for, in both these threads, is whether the Lobo capsule fits into the body of these vapes, not the stem.

Your capsule fitting into the Toad stem really surprises me, as my stems are 14mm dia', and the capsule is 12.5mm (or so I've read).
You say there's at least 1mm clearance between the cap' and inner stem wall. This leaves only 0.5mm for the thickness of the glass stem, so I must be misinformed re' the diameter of the capsule or something (perhaps your sample capsule is a completely different size) as there's no way the glass is only 0.5mm thick!
Could you do me one more favour? (If you're able) and measure the diameter of your capsule please?

If it fits into your stem, I assume it'll be so loose in the body of the Toad that it'll rattle around really loose?
I wish I could find 12.5 - 13.5mm capsules somewhere in the UK or EU.

Copacetic,

brucepatty

My batch 9 should be ready soon and I am really excited, got the 1-2 weeks until it’s being sent 2 weeks ago so hopefully not much longer. Has anyone tried hash with their toad?
Bumping this, a few people earlier in the thread have mentioned having some success with layering it with bud and Dan mentioned using washi paper as like a concentrate pad I think.

brucepatty,
Reactions: Copacetic

Copacetic

But what I'm really asking, and still seek an answer for, in both these threads, is whether the Lobo capsule fits into the body of these vapes, not the stem.......
Sorry to quote myself, but I've clearly obscured my query by burying it in a wall of text.

TM mesh cap fits almost perfect but the lid, this would be my first choice.
Fury edge just a bit too small. HR Rogue and Dreamwood Glow mesh caps too wide.
Thanks for the effort of a comprehensive reply, and a great pic', but what I seek is a capsule size that will drop into the vape itself, not fit into the stem.
I read that the Lobo capsules are 12.5mm and thought they (or others around the same size) might fit into the vape (not the stem!) without rattling around too much.

Apologies if everyone's understood but simply don't have a Lobo cap' or other similarly large cap' to measure or test fit into the vape, in which case - my bad.

Copacetic,

Fesob_31

There could be a couple of issues with this.
Take a look at the o-ring holding the stem:
If the cap can be dropped inside, and it Is a tight fit, how do you get It out then?
If the cap doesn't fit too tight there could be air leakage around the cap, skipping the content of the cap.

Last edited:

SonicBacon

That's a surprise, thanks for checking this out for me.
@Stu kindly checked the fit of his Lobo capsule in the Nomad glass stem and his wouldn't fit.
But what I'm really asking, and still seek an answer for, in both these threads, is whether the Lobo capsule fits into the body of these vapes, not the stem.

Your capsule fitting into the Toad stem really surprises me, as my stems are 14mm dia', and the capsule is 12.5mm (or so I've read).
You say there's at least 1mm clearance between the cap' and inner stem wall. This leaves only 0.5mm for the thickness of the glass stem, so I must be misinformed re' the diameter of the capsule or something (perhaps your sample capsule is a completely different size) as there's no way the glass is only 0.5mm thick!
Could you do me one more favour? (If you're able) and measure the diameter of your capsule please?

If it fits into your stem, I assume it'll be so loose in the body of the Toad that it'll rattle around really loose?
I wish I could find 12.5 - 13.5mm capsules somewhere in the UK or EU.
Yes the capsule fits loosely into the Toad.

The capsule that came with my Lobo measures ~10.2mm (with a ruler) and the Toad glass stem measures 11mm ID

The capsule fits into the stem loosely and the stem fits into the body of the Toad, I thought that would have answered the question, but yes the capsule rattles around in there very loosely if you drop it into the Toad opening. The only way it has a chance at working is to put it in the stem and then stem into the Toad.

I can’t find any other capsules that work the way you are describing, but maybe something could be created like a pod/puck using a combination of basket screen bottom and vape wool wadding/lid, with a little dowel to press the puck into the Toad like loading a cannon. Just a thought, but then that’s getting away from the whole carrying fewer things. Good luck finding your ideal solution, and please let us know if you figure something out.

Copacetic

Yes the capsule fits loosely into the Toad.

The capsule that came with my Lobo measures ~10.2mm (with a ruler) and the Toad glass stem measures 11mm ID

The capsule fits into the stem loosely and the stem fits into the body of the Toad, I thought that would have answered the question, but yes the capsule rattles around in there very loosely if you drop it into the Toad opening. The only way it has a chance at working is to put it in the stem and then stem into the Toad.

I can’t find any other capsules that work the way you are describing, but maybe something could be created like a pod/puck using a combination of basket screen bottom and vape wool wadding/lid, with a little dowel to press the puck into the Toad like loading a cannon. Just a thought, but then that’s getting away from the whole carrying fewer things. Good luck finding your ideal solution, and please let us know if you figure something out.
Brilliant, thanks again and that does indeed answer the question, if it fits in the stem then it definitely fits in the vape itself! (I was confused by Stu in the Nomad thread who claimed his wouldn't fit in the stem, he didn't say whether the capsule would fit into the Nomad itself, which is what I've been asking).
Since I don't have Lobo capsules myself I have to go by what actual owners post online, and I've read that they are 12.5mm O/D, which definitely wouldn't fit inside the Toad/Nomad stem, but probably would fit inside the vapes themselves which could possibly allow them to be used in the same way that Tinymight owners are using Storz & Bickle capsules (I.e. Drop the capsule in the vape, then insert the stem to hold it down in the vape. The S&B capsules DO NOT fit inside the TM stem, yet they work).
Since your cap's measure 10.2mm the 12.5mm measurement I got elsewhere is clearly wrong, so a rethink is in order.
I'm also unsure why Stu's Lobo cap's wouldnt fit in his stem, different wall thickness perhaps?
Regardless, the Lobo capsules are quite a lot smaller than I believed so I'll need to consider a different approach.
Thanks for your patience!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Have a look at wheezy jack pods. They are a combustion system but they are around 12.5mm I think I saw 12.3 as a detail once. They were used on the original TM sometimes because the original has a mesh screen that the S&B caps used to push through to the heater and cause a device failure and a return trip to Finland. I'm not sure I would want to risk that damage to a toad but that's your call, and I guess the heater is easily replaced.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
(I was confused by Stu in the Nomad thread who claimed his wouldn't fit in the stem, he didn't say whether the capsule would fit into the Nomad itself, which is what I've been asking).
The Lobo capsules will fit into the Nomad/Toad, but they do not fit into the stem. The opening of the Toad/Nomad is about 15mm, while the OD of the Lobo capsule is about 12mm. Yes it rattles in there. The ID of the Toad/Nomad stem is just a bit over 11mm, so the capsule is just a bit too wide to fit at ~12mm. I'm using the standard glass stem btw. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

I have to say that I think using capsules in a Toad/Nomad is probably not going to work well - even if a proper size is found. Since it's on-demand convection device, you'll need to bring all that metal up to temp before the weed will give up the goodies. This doesn't seem ideal to me, but YMMV.

:peace:

Electrofever

Has anyone tried hash with their toad?
I have recently tried to press hash, as Dan suggested once in a post. I put some hash between 2 layers of washi paper (I found some oguni paper snowbleached in the sun, how could the guy doing it in Japan imagine it would be used for pressing hash…), and pressed it with a bottle full of hot water. The washi paper absorbs the resin, and can after be cut into very thin stripes. And then the stripes are wrapped up in a kind of small ball and put in the stem. The result is quite satisfactory, really nice taste, and a way to vap hash through full convection ! A little time spending, but once again, kind of a ritual, here and now :)

Copacetic

The Lobo capsules will fit into the Nomad/Toad, but they do not fit into the stem. The opening of the Toad/Nomad is about 15mm, while the OD of the Lobo capsule is about 12mm. Yes it rattles in there. The ID of the Toad/Nomad stem is just a bit over 11mm, so the capsule is just a bit too wide to fit at ~12mm. I'm using the standard glass stem btw. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

I have to say that I think using capsules in a Toad/Nomad is probably not going to work well - even if a proper size is found. Since it's on-demand convection device, you'll need to bring all that metal up to temp before the weed will give up the goodies. This doesn't seem ideal to me, but YMMV.

:peace:
Hmm, there seems to be a clear difference of opinion re' the size of Lobo cap's here, I'll just have to order some and see what I get.
Thanks for letting me know how yours are though.

I've actually had great success already with a skinny capsule (from a Flowermate I think) but it took a LOT of work, as in I had to turn my own wood stem, then make a metal 'cradle' to hold the capsule within the stem in a way that allowed air to flow down the sides of the capsule (the sides also had holes) but not simply bypass it.
I also machined 4 'flutes' into the inside of the stem which further aided airflow to the holes on the side of the cap.

The capsule was the only one I had and all the abuse it endured during the manufacture and testing rubbed off some plating (looked chrome) which put me off using it further.
It was a shame as the load would get very evenly roasted no matter how hard you pulled.
The Morwood vapes are pretty good at not 'hot-spotting' anyway with very minimal practice, but the capsule was even better in this regard, and I didn't really notice the metal of the capsule robbing much heat at all.

Swapping the capsule would have been really easy and discrete too, if I'd had more than one of them (I think I had two at one point, but I lost one).

The drawbacks were:

1-Low capacity (super skinny cap, @8mm, probably even slightly less capacity than a Vapcap).

2-I only had/have one capsule.

3-Too much work to achieve.

A cap which doesn't need to fit inside a stem might make the whole endeavour easier, as long as it isn't small enough to push through the heater screen and touch the heater.
The Lobo cap's sounded like they might meet this requirement, we'll see.

The weezy cap's suggested by @Cheebsy sound perfectly sized, I'm going to look into them too.
I think the perfect capsule would also have holes down the side, but I'm aware that I'm asking for the moon here!

I've already ordered some 10mm cap's from Ali-express ( Fury or Rogue I think?) to try.
I'm thinking of making another wooden stem:

14mm O/D.

Shallow 3 or 4mm depth hole at the buisness end, 10mm or very slightly larger I/D to accommodate the capsule, or at least a few mm of it, it will still stick out around 7mm.

9mm internal bore for the remainder of the stem (provides a lip for the cap to rest upon to prevent it disappearing into the stem).

The S&B Mighty caps seem like they might fit, as I read that they're under 14mm (the size of the Morwood stems) so I might try to get hold of one of them too.
Something just small enough to get past the O-ring of the Toad might allow the use of a stock stem without mod's.

As I said, this search for the perfectly sized capsule was inspired by the Tinymight users who seem happy with simply dropping Mighty caps in and holding it down with the stem.
A cap of the perfect size might not exist, but if it does I see no reason that it wouldn't work just as well as the TM/S&B combo or my own previously overwrought effort.

SonicBacon

Hmm, there seems to be a clear difference of opinion re' the size of Lobo cap's here, I'll just have to order some and see what I get.
Thanks for letting me know how yours are though.

I've actually had great success already with a skinny capsule (from a Flowermate I think) but it took a LOT of work, as in I had to turn my own wood stem, then make a metal 'cradle' to hold the capsule within the stem in a way that allowed air to flow down the sides of the capsule (the sides also had holes) but not simply bypass it.
I also machined 4 'flutes' into the inside of the stem which further aided airflow to the holes on the side of the cap.

The capsule was the only one I had and all the abuse it endured during the manufacture and testing rubbed off some plating (looked chrome) which put me off using it further.
It was a shame as the load would get very evenly roasted no matter how hard you pulled.
The Morwood vapes are pretty good at not 'hot-spotting' anyway with very minimal practice, but the capsule was even better in this regard, and I didn't really notice the metal of the capsule robbing much heat at all.

Swapping the capsule would have been really easy and discrete too, if I'd had more than one of them (I think I had two at one point, but I lost one).

The drawbacks were:

1-Low capacity (super skinny cap, @8mm, probably even slightly less capacity than a Vapcap).

2-I only had/have one capsule.

3-Too much work to achieve.

A cap which doesn't need to fit inside a stem might make the whole endeavour easier, as long as it isn't small enough to push through the heater screen and touch the heater.
The Lobo cap's sounded like they might meet this requirement, we'll see.

The weezy cap's suggested by @Cheebsy sound perfectly sized, I'm going to look into them too.
I think the perfect capsule would also have holes down the side, but I'm aware that I'm asking for the moon here!

I've already ordered some 10mm cap's from Ali-express ( Fury or Rogue I think?) to try.
I'm thinking of making another wooden stem:

14mm O/D.

Shallow 3 or 4mm depth hole at the buisness end, 10mm or very slightly larger I/D to accommodate the capsule, or at least a few mm of it, it will still stick out around 7mm.

9mm internal bore for the remainder of the stem (provides a lip for the cap to rest upon to prevent it disappearing into the stem).

The S&B Mighty caps seem like they might fit, as I read that they're under 14mm (the size of the Morwood stems) so I might try to get hold of one of them too.
Something just small enough to get past the O-ring of the Toad might allow the use of a stock stem without mod's.

As I said, this search for the perfectly sized capsule was inspired by the Tinymight users who seem happy with simply dropping Mighty caps in and holding it down with the stem.
A cap of the perfect size might not exist, but if it does I see no reason that it wouldn't work just as well as the TM/S&B combo or my own previously overwrought effort.
I tried the S&B Mighty capsule in the Toad and it’s just a hair too big. The bottom edge of the capsule feels like it might get past the o-ring, but due to the outward flare of the capsule it gets stuck on the wood.

If you could reshape the S&B capsule to straighten out the sidewalls (punching it through an appropriately sized washer maybe), it might fit in but then the lid wouldn’t go on it.

It’s an interesting challenge, I hope you find an adequate solution

SonicBacon,
Reactions: Copacetic

Fesob_31

I did try the cap on the left in this pic. It is a SS cap for S&B devices (not from S&B), sidewalls are straigh, no flares, it does go through the wood hole but get stuck on the o-ring. (There is no easy way to get out such cap then).
TM mesh cap is perfect inside the glass. Why not this?

Copacetic

I tried the S&B Mighty capsule in the Toad and it’s just a hair too big. The bottom edge of the capsule feels like it might get past the o-ring, but due to the outward flare of the capsule it gets stuck on the wood.

If you could reshape the S&B capsule to straighten out the sidewalls (punching it through an appropriately sized washer maybe), it might fit in but then the lid wouldn’t go on it.

It’s an interesting challenge, I hope you find an adequate solution
Thanks for checking the S&B fit for me man, that's awesome.
I kinda figured that it'd be a little too big but it's good to know for sure, saves me buying caps which I wouldn't be able to use (I have no S&B vapes).
I did try the cap on the left in this pic. It is a SS cap for S&B devices (not from S&B), sidewalls are straigh, no flares, it does go through the wood hole but get stuck on the o-ring. (There is no easy way to get out such cap then).
TM mesh cap is perfect inside the glass. Why not this?
The only reasons I guess would be a spirit of experimentation, and the size of the caps, a slightly bigger cap would be great, but I guess just changing the mesh caps slightly more often would also work 👍

O.T. but I'm very excited just now as I recently found out that I've been accepted on to a medical program with a clinic here in the UK! 🤘😃🤘.
My Toad and Nomad will hopefully getting a bit more of a workout very soon 😁

BreadStick

My Toad arrived yesterday and I've been struggling to keep my hands off this thing!
PXL-20240328-190509757.jpg
PXL-20240328-190503101.jpg
PXL-20240328-190521800.jpg
PXL-20240328-190642951.jpg
PXL-20240328-190529033.jpg
PXL-20240328-190515017.jpg

I've a lot to learn with my draw technique, it's not too hard to produce vapour but there's a knack to getting a nice even roast without hot spots and stirring. The vapour is really tasty and effective whenever I do manage a good hit.

Pictures and words can't do justice for how this thing feels in hand. The washi paper sleeve has such a nice texture and the vape feels really solid in the hand. The button has a satisfying click and feels like something I can trust to last a lifetime. Thanks a million @Dan Morrison I can't wait to get to know my toad better!

For those in the waiting list curious how long it took me to get my toad, I was in the waiting list for 1 year and then 7 months after I paid to receive my Toad. I think I got a bit lucky because I was supposed to be in batch 10 but there was a free spot in batch 9 so I got in the door a little earlier.

Last edited:

fangorn

My Toad arrived yesterday and I've been struggling to keep my hands off this thing!
PXL-20240328-190509757.jpg
PXL-20240328-190503101.jpg
PXL-20240328-190521800.jpg
PXL-20240328-190642951.jpg
PXL-20240328-190529033.jpg
PXL-20240328-190515017.jpg

I've a lot to learn with my draw technique, it's not too hard to produce vapour but there's a knack to getting a nice even roast without hot spots and stirring. The vapour is really tasty and effective whenever I do manage a good hit.

Pictures and words can't do justice for how this thing feels in hand. The washi paper sleeve has such a nice texture and the vape feels really solid in the hand. The button has a satisfying click and feels like something I can trust to last a lifetime. Thanks a million @Dan Morrison I can't wait to get to know my toad better!

For those in the waiting list curious how long it took me to get my toad, I was in the waiting list for 1 year and then 7 months after I paid to receive my Toad. I think I got a bit lucky because I was supposed to be in batch 10 but there was a free spot in batch 9 so I got in the door a little earlier.

wow, thanks for the photos!
I really like your Toad...but the blue color of the case looks amazing!!!

make the best of it !!

Stueylakes

So when you track a package the way you track a package that you are 'shit yourself' excited to recieve. That notification (see attached) pings and package arrives when you know nobody is home for the next 9 hours, it does cause 9 hours of 'shit youself' anxiety regarding it still being present when I get home. Good news its on my kitchen table, and you know what.....im gonna wait till tomorrow (its nearly midnight here!) to truly enbrace my new tool/toy/bestmate/righthand. Thanks Dan, regardless of how shit tomorrows working day is, the afters shall be blissful and blessed. Now to dream of toads......

Top Bottom