The Toad from Morwood

Razhumikin

A few weeks ago, I visited the Montreal insectarium....
there is a large room, in the middle of the visit, where there are 360 degree insect displays...
it was magnificent and fascinating... so much so that my family didn't wait for me!!

in short... I saw thousands of Toad buttons...
I'm sharing a photo with you... just because... it's magnificent! 😁

While one of my Toad buttons is made of beetle shells, i dont think Dan is making them anymore, its just too much work!

99944nt

Hey guys @99944nt and @Electrofever

sorry to hear about your problems with the Toad!

@99944nt
I'm sorry to be that guy, sincerely... I hate it when people ask me if I've done the basic checks...
but did you check that the metal part was reassembled in the right direction? I have a hard time understanding how this can happen because the adjustments are very tight and... personalized...

my other hypothesis was that maybe you hadn't tightened the screw enough... but obviously you tightened it enough! (sorry about that !!)

could you post a photo of your bottom plate please?

@Electrofever
I'm sure Dan could sort that out for you, but that would require you to part with your Toad for a month or two I imagine...

haha no worries, i appreciate the input and thoughts. Dan did point out that perhaps I did inset the button the other way but ended up sending the whole thing back for fitting and replacement of the bottom so I should have it all fixed up.. like u said though I will be w/o my Toad for a bit :cry:

fangorn

ahhh...

the button upside down?! but of course, Marty!!

ok, good to know that it could create this slight shift and poor adjustment.
To remember for future new Toad companions!

Well I hope the round trip will be reasonably quick!
but it's good to know that everything will be back to normal soon!

brucepatty

Hey yall I just ran through the thread and had a couple questions.
1. What’s the difference in the pear wood and the Blackwood stems ?
2. I saw fangorn have two buttons, is that a one time thing or are there other buttons available for purchase ?

Last edited:
brucepatty,

fangorn

Hey yall I just ran through the thread and had a couple questions.
1. What’s the difference in the pear wood and the Blackwood stems ?
2. I saw fangorn have two buttons, is that a one time thing or are there other buttons available for purchase ?

hey @brucepatty

1- Pear wood and black wood stems are two very good stem options. Beyond the aesthetic aspect, I think that blackwood is denser than pear.
I also believe - but I could be wrong - that blackwood is slightly richer in oil and that it will tint the flavor of the flowers a little more. But I don't think it's very marked.
Finally, I don't know if the prices are different but it's possible that there is a few dollars difference.

I have a pear wood stem. In addition to being perfect on the outside, it serves as my WPA.

2- Dan has lots of cool options for buttons...
You can ask him to change the button on your Toad if you want. there may be an additional charge.
You can also add one to your order without any problem.
I lost some emails I exchanged with Dan so I don't remember how much I paid for my extra Mammoth Ivory button. but I think it's $95 (maybe $75?).

So there are several lichen tones, mammoth ivory, bog oak, abalone, butterfly wing (I only saw one), and 2 or 3 additional options I think...

For what it's worth... I don't regret my purchase of an extra button at all... Alternating every few months, it feels like I have two different Toads!

brucepatty

But fangy….you do have two toads!😂
But seriously fangorn I don’t think anybody has done a better job documenting the process of owning a toad better than you. It’s been a tremendous help seeing all the posts you’ve made about it. Thank you sensei.

Im sure I can go to Dan with all my questions and interests but I know they’re a busy person and I don’t like taking up their time. I saw a post of a curly maple wood stem and got really curious about the differences in the wood. I’ve seen customs stems made here in the thread so I’m wondering if anyone on the lilypad has strong opinions about the different type of wood options and how they effect flavor. I’ll get one from Dan for sure but does anyone have a recommendations for some other types of wood ?

Catching up on the thread and can't believe we are seeing these latest Batch 10's! Fucking gorgeous!
Congrats to all those that have landed a TOAD!

I was extremely fortunate to be in the first Batch, and it had me curious, are there any notable changes from Batch 1 to Batch 10, either in production or components [like heaters]?

I continue to use mine as a daily driver and just love it! I tend to favor full extraction with the high heater.

Dan mentioned something about adding a built in screen by the heater so you didn’t have to put in two screens into the stem or something like that. Bumping this again cause I’m curious myself

fangorn

But fangy….you do have two toads!😂

hi @brucepatty
ahah, indeed I'm going to have two Toads... but I started with one, without imagining that I would get several devices from Dan...
so the idea of a second button was really not bad!
and so... several months a year, I use a mammoth ivory button... it's just crazy!!! the me of 25-30 years ago thanks me!!

But seriously fangorn I don’t think anybody has done a better job documenting the process of owning a toad better than you. It’s been a tremendous help seeing all the posts you’ve made about it. Thank you sensei.

thank you for the message !
I think it's useful to some people, we continue to add to this wonderful book... and I enjoy it!

I saw a post of a curly maple wood stem and got really curious about the differences in the wood. I’ve seen customs stems made here in the thread so I’m wondering if anyone on the lilypad has strong opinions about the different type of wood options and how they effect flavor

regarding the stem, the woods are all different!
I have one in pear wood, one in curly maple and I'm waiting for another.

the pear wood stem is fairly neutral in flavor, the wood is soft... and it goes well with the pear wood bodies!
the curly maple stem... is prettier, lighter, finer. it tints the flavor of the flowers more. I think Dan wasn't a fan and doesn't plan to make it again.

you can always ask Dan what he has in stock or can offer you!

Dan mentioned something about adding a built in screen by the heater so you didn’t have to put in two screens into the stem or something like that. Bumping this again cause I’m curious myself

regarding the screen...
This concerns the “hole” where the stems and heaters are located. on its first model, the Nomad 1, Dan installed no SS screen between the stem and the heating. then he added an SS screen between the two. then from Nomad 2 / Toad, Dan started adding 2 SS screens.
This really seems to influence airflow diffusion and extraction uniformity/avb consistency.

and so at the beginning, he advised adding a basket screen in the stems in order to replace the SS screens inserted directly into the body of his vaporizer... which is no longer necessary today.

I don't know if I enlightened you or confused you... tell me if I can clarify!

Last edited:

Electrofever

I wanted to add my little brick to The Big Book, and show a few pics of my little Toad :) I must say, Dan’s work, and more precisely ALL of the sleeves of the Nomads has been one thing that made me really fall into Vaping. So when I discovered a waitinglist existed for the Nomad II, I went for it, but I guess now that hope is getting really thin… let’s not speak of the Okin, or a Nomad, I would love, but there again, very small chance. So how pleased was I to be a lucky owner of a Toad ! I was initially in batch 3 but I only got my last choice, so I went on next boat, and when I saw Toad #42, I remembered Dan’s first feelings when conceiving the Nomad, like something that a Jedi could wear on his belt. And my Toad really would fit in, I easily imagine it coming out of BB8 :)

IMG-9333.jpg

IMG-9330.jpg

The Tree of Life :)

IMG-9334.jpg

@fangorn, you were speaking of a unicorn ? :)

And I know, everyone loves a few pics, just for the eyes ;)

Last edited:

fangorn

and when I saw Toad #42, I remembered Dan’s first feelings when conceiving the Nomad, like something that a Jedi could wear on his belt. And my Toad really would fit in, I easily imagine it coming out of BB8 :)

oh I really like this one!
I agree, this would fit very well in the Jedi universe... I visualized C3PO running after you as you are about to board your ship... "Master, you forgot your blaster and your vaporizer"

and I love the identifying inscriptions!!!

on the other hand the H065 drove me crazy for an hour, so I went to get the info 😁

I really like several pieces from this lot... making your choice must have been difficult!!

042 - Retro-future, label says, "Toad" in Japanese. Other info explains the toad batch number, unit number, and heater resistance value of 0.065ohms. Ancient bog oak button.

DSCF8675.jpg

@fangorn, you were speaking of a unicorn ? :)

haha!
I love the wink!

(and... seriously... who managed to impose the unicorn as the main theme for girls?! it's a monopoly...)

Cheers !

fangorn

I used my Toad a little less to discover Dan's other devices, but it is still used daily, or every 3 days depending on the type of rotation I use...

I just wanted to come here and say that at the beginning when I discovered Dan's universe, I saw the Toad as a less finished/refined device than the Nomad 1 or 2....

well having all 3, I can say that this is not the case... even if the Toad was a "secondary" project / in addition to the Nomad, it has its own characteristics.

I love all 3 models but the Toad certainly has the best ergonomics (in my opinion). it's the finest. I love its bottom plate. the washi coating is very soft. The angles are all very soft. And I think it benefits from Dan's painterly artistry, while being much more durable than milk paint.

and I know that this will probably not be the opinion of people who recently obtained a Toad... but it is one that we can abuse a little more with less apprehension.

There you go, I just wanted to share this thought for those who are waiting for a Toad "because the Nomad list is suspended". It’s not just an argument, far from it!!!

-----------------------
Nothing to see but I miss the posts and photos from @Arawfish !
I left Instagram, and he seems to have abandoned FC since the fires this summer...
I also know that he sold his Toad...
I loved seeing his Toad walking around...hope he's okay!

BubbleDrop

Toad-3.jpg

Ok the wait is over and the Toad has landed ! It's been a long journey but now it is here and it's a beauty.
Was is worth the wait ? Yes, 200% !

DSC-7669.jpg

I'm just amazed by this device. Not only is it the best looking vape I've ever seen, but it is also such a pleasure to use as it is efficient, smooth and its simplicity will make you want to use it again and again.

although I know an FC user who just received a butterfly button...
Haha yeah, this button looks so cool ! Sorry I couldn't take a proper picture as the above shows the studio light reflection instead.

The Toad is definitely my n°1 vaporizer, it is just too good looking and so easy to use and clean.

I discussed with Dan as I had made two pdf files from his instructions, which is now printer friendly. He said it is ok to post those 2 userguides on the forums, so I have uploaded to WeTransfer. Feel free to download. Sorry I couldn't find a better way of sharing (as the WeTransfer link will expire in 7 days, I think).

Here is the WeTransfer link :

Never enjoyed a vaporizer so much. Thanks Dan, you're the best !

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@BubbleDrop This was the Toad that pushed me to rejoin the list, I love its vibrancy!

Yeah that would be in the top five of ones I have seen probably too... I'm still on the nomad list although I'm not sure my name would ever come up haha was planning just to get another case then! It would be fun to get on the list for the toad again, but it wouldn't really make sense for me and I want more new people to get them of course :tup:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I hope by the time my name comes up for another toad, I won't feel guilty about choosing it while others have been waiting for their 1st nomad/Toad :lol:

Haha yeah I mean there will always be others waiting, problem with Lamart too and I have quite a few of those... Also the cost helps keep me away these days out of pandemic lockdowns' buying sprees lol

Toad-3.jpg

Ok the wait is over and the Toad has landed ! It's been a long journey but now it is here and it's a beauty.
Was is worth the wait ? Yes, 200% !

DSC-7669.jpg

I'm just amazed by this device. Not only is it the best looking vape I've ever seen, but it is also such a pleasure to use as it is efficient, smooth and its simplicity will make you want to use it again and again.

Haha yeah, this button looks so cool ! Sorry I couldn't take a proper picture as the above shows the studio light reflection instead.

The Toad is definitely my n°1 vaporizer, it is just too good looking and so easy to use and clean.

I discussed with Dan as I had made two pdf files from his instructions, which is now printer friendly. He said it is ok to post those 2 userguides on the forums, so I have uploaded to WeTransfer. Feel free to download. Sorry I couldn't find a better way of sharing (as the WeTransfer link will expire in 7 days, I think).

Here is the WeTransfer link :

Never enjoyed a vaporizer so much. Thanks Dan, you're the best !
What is that button made of? Its reeeeaaaaal nice.

BubbleDrop

Duba

Accessory Maker
Imo, this is what makes the Toad unique and incredible, this timeless alliance between aesthetics and performance.
Knowing that the device will perform without programmed obsolescence, it's probably the safest investment I've ever made, and the most honest value for money on the market.
IMG-20231004-010355.jpg

Ancient bog oak button.

fangorn

hello bunch of amphibians!

Well, I managed to refrain from posting on this thread for 3 weeks!!
It wasn't easy at first, but I think I managed to take my FC addiction down a notch!!

Anyway... I'm back because I just received an incredible package from Dan, full of treasures.

I've already written 1000 thoughts on this device so I'll mostly go with photos but:

-I had forgotten how smooth and soft the Toad is when he arrives. (it's still soft 2 years later but the feeling is different!!)

-I really like the design of this one... even more in real life than in photos... really a lot...
I would still like Toad#22, but #101 is really coming to challenge it

-the photos, even those of Dan, fail to capture the nuance... it seems much more weathered in real life... as if it had stood the test of time...

-I felt guilty when I won Dan's lottery... but I absolutely don't regret going anyway!

-I will have to rethink my arrangement!!

-the wooden stem is a masterpiece. I looked at it very closely for over 5 minutes before even opening the case with the Toad.

-I'm sort of inaugurating the new brown colors of Steph's cases... well... they're great and complement my collection very well...

-I much prefer the material of the Nomad cases, but the color of the Toad case that I just received is just so to my taste...

-the bog oak button...is amazing. I adore !

here it is... time for the photos!

@Dan Morrison ....thank you very much. This is truly an amazing package. Thank you for your high standards and the care you take with everything... I am really happy and grateful! Every piece is crazy.

Top Bottom