The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Can't see why any vapour would pass over the balls. So they wouldn't get dirty from general use.

At best small pieces of material might get through the screen and get Into the balls. If so it would take a while to build up to where it's even worth thinking about.

If the balls need cleaning I imagine it will be twice a year kind of job if at all
This has been my experience with portable ball vapes, also using the Stunner as a reference. I would say the reasons to clean there might be:

1) Not enough tamping or holding the vape with the tip down could lead to flower bits getting up there.
2) Cigar puffing might cause slight back pressure, pushing bits there on occasion.
3) Combustion. Ugh. That smell gets everywhere.

HumbleLivings

from what I see in the Ball Vape Groups, most prefer and use Ruby Balls, as they seem to perform best overall other materials, what is the Tempest using for balls? hopefully its Red Ruby balls, btw this is not my opinion this is again what is proven to work best after ball vape community vigorously testing this already. anyone know what type of balls Tempest is using, thanks in advance

HumbleLivings,

PossumMD

from what I see in the Ball Vape Groups, most prefer and use Ruby Balls, as they seem to perform best overall other materials, what is the Tempest using for balls? hopefully its Red Ruby balls, btw this is not my opinion this is again what is proven to work best after ball vape community vigorously testing this already. anyone know what type of balls Tempest is using, thanks in advance
Yeah we do know what balls are used. It's all covered in depth in this thread already. The default is boro, other materials available if wanted. Further info can be obtained by going back 2 or 3 pages...

Brenyo

Manufacturer
@Brenyo seems like it gives a few less hits but works well.
Do you notice a different flavor?
Do you know how much time last to heat up and cool down in comparison of the zirconia balls?
Do you like pears?
Do you thing a changing of balls would affect the disk calibration? (I see people who want to use zirconia balls)
It could do more hits but I finished it too quickly :)

The zirconia has a slightly cleaner taste, a few people can taste the glass but it’s very minimal.

With the wand it takes about 7 seconds more to heat up with the zirc. The boro cap is 7.9g, ruby 9.1g, zirc 10.6g with 2.5mm balls.

Yes

Yes, but not by a lot.

RedZep

It could do more hits but I finished it too quickly :)

The zirconia has a slightly cleaner taste, a few people can taste the glass but it’s very minimal.

With the wand it takes about 7 seconds more to heat up with the zirc. The boro cap is 7.9g, ruby 9.1g, zirc 10.6g with 2.5mm balls.

Yes

Yes, but not by a lot.
7s for better heat retention is nothing. Thought it would be a much bigger trade off.

Think I'll be putting Zirc in day one

RedZep,
Reactions: Wozz

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
7s for better heat retention is nothing. Thought it would be a much bigger trade off.

Think I'll be putting Zirc in day one
I'm all about heat retention and taste too. The Stunner I own uses uses zirconia beads and it's my favorite cigarette style vape right now as it preserves taste and holds heat for multiple draws. Truly the blunt-style vaping experience I was looking for.

I'm expecting great things from the Tempest as I have Mad (😋) respect for @Brenyo's products and I'm sure they'll kick things up a notch. However, if heat retention is what you're looking for, I've read that the thermal conductivity of SiC (silicon carbide) beads is 30-40 W/mk vs about 5 W/mk for zirconia. Borosilicate glass is about 1.4 W/mk. Ruby and sapphire beads are approximately the same as SiC.

Clearly, SiC wins by a landslide but that of course doesn't account for possible changes to taste that might be introduced. Afaik, zirconia seems to be the most taste neutral but you can't really know how sensitive any one person will be to different materials.

Last edited:

HumbleLivings

The boro cap is 7.9g, ruby 9.1g, zirc 10.6g with 2.5mm balls.
are you going to have different caps for Tempest, one for boro, ruby, zirc? sorry if i understood this wrong :)

have you tested the tempest with ruby's?
either way I am looking forward to buying Tempest once its ready, thanks for your time @Brenyo
we appreciate all your hard work brother! :)

btka

are you going to have different caps for Tempest, one for boro, ruby, zirc? sorry if i understood this wrong :)

either way I am looking forward to buying Tempest once its ready, thanks for your time @Brenyo
we appreciate all your hard work brother! :)
Would be better when you can change the balls your self… 😉

RedZep

@Brenyo You probably have it all under wraps. But thought I would chip in with the calibration.

I noticed in the early release models the click happens when the snap disc visual indicator is at the high mark. Yet the resulting AVB is not roasted enough to warrant that.

I think the only thing you need to avoid is having a large amount of users who have to go past the visual indicator max to get the roast they want. That would render the audible and visual indicators irrelevant for them, and essentially turn the device into a Thermal Accumulator.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
are you going to have different caps for Tempest, one for boro, ruby, zirc?
No, it can be replaced and the balls will be available separately.

Yes, it's similar to boro in this setup imo, but both will be available. Zirc makes a more noticeable difference.

I think the only thing you need to avoid is having a large amount of users who have to go past the visual indicator max to get the roast they want.
Yeah I know, both of the indicators were early.
The visual gauge should be good now, but the snap disc is challenging to calibrate much higher unfortunately which is causing the delay atm. We will figure it out soon. :science:

HumbleLivings

Would be better when you can change the balls your self… 😉
yes of course you may change the balls your self lol
I misunderstood what was said about the caps when this was said"The boro cap is 7.9g, ruby 9.1g, zirc 10.6g with 2.5mm balls."
so I asked the question to clarify.
and It looks like you misunderstood what I said also, but no worries as you see, we all make mistakes its all good bro! this is why we ask questions to clarify any questions we all may have. thanks ✌️

Last edited:

RedZep

@Brenyo When using for low temp hits, can the device maintain the extraction throughout the hit?

Don't know if I'm phrasing this well. I'm worried a low temp hit will start with good extraction, but mid hit the temp of the balls might drop enough to stop extraction before the hit is finished.

This isn't a deal breaker for me either way, but I'm interested to know.

RxPlorer

@Brenyo When using for low temp hits, can the device maintain the extraction throughout the hit?

Don't know if I'm phrasing this well. I'm worried a low temp hit will start with good extraction, but mid hit the temp of the balls might drop enough to stop extraction before the hit is finished.

I have the same question, maybe I'm in the minority but I envision temp stepping through 2 heat cycles and I'd love to know that "low" on the visual indicator is a low-temp extraction with a 4-5 hit thermal capacity

RxPlorer,

Brenyo

Manufacturer

Yes it can and you can control the temp with the draw speed. The heat builds up quickly and then drops slowly, you should be able to finish the bowl no problem. What I consider low temp on the left (about 5 short hits) and medium roast on the right (about 7 short hits). The picture is not the best, hard to see the difference unfortunately.

Will the Zirc and Ruby balls also be available at EU resellers? (verdampftnochmal, lacentralevapeur)
If they order it, yes - I'd say it's very likely.

RedZep

I have the same question, maybe I'm in the minority but I envision temp stepping through 2 heat cycles and I'd love to know that "low" on the visual indicator is a low-temp extraction with a 4-5 hit thermal capacity
I'm absolutely going to do the same. For me it's a big strength of the visual indicator. After first cycle we can just go again. Second cycle will require less heat up.

If it works how it seems it would in my imagination it will be a temp stepping beast alongside something like TM2.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Funny thing. I just got a notice from UPS that the Wand I bought from VapeLifeStore, a California vendor, is shipping today from Dynavap in Wisc. At least it's from the same town that they are in, but I'm guessing they are a drop ship location for Inspire.

HashOnMyMind

Yes, it's an 8mm connection like the DVs.
Does that mean i could just get a bowl/cap and it'll fit on my MVS Simrell stem? Will the cooling be sufficient with it?
I probably get the whole set eventually but im a bit short on money and would likely just get the cap and bowl for now if that works. :)

Also how well can i vape bubble hash in it? Cant wait to upgrade from the trusted Dynaverse for once!

HashOnMyMind,
Top Bottom