Discontinued The Sublimator

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I saw that video before commenting and looked on the websites, unless I'm blind from beating it too much, I didn't see the glass bowl that he sets the UFO on top of listed on there... Where would I even get a cup-bowl that would fit it guaranteed?

^ The atomizer part is totally necessary Q, no way around that one if you want to sub!

I thought the atomizer bit was the metal funnel with the handle? Enrico uses the UFO/Sputnik thingy on top of a glass bowl (with no metal funnel thing), which is why I'm asking... Unless I'm confusing stuff.

Quetzalcoatl,

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
I saw that video before commenting and looked on the websites, unless I'm blind from beating it too much, I didn't see the glass bowl that he sets the UFO on top of listed on there... Where would I even get a cup-bowl that would fit it guaranteed?

I think you'd have to have one made custom, maybe if you contacted Cheech Glass directly.

Not to get into the whole "what is sublimation" debate, but in that video Enrico says pretty clearly it's not the same thing or experience, that it's more like just vaporization. Take that for what you will. I believe the only way you could have "sublimation" with a glass atomizer is if that atomizer is somehow heated and at the same equilibrium temp as the heater, not sure if that's even possible or worth the bother.

grokit

well-worn member
Exactly. Subbing's all about thermal equilibrium, and that won't work with metal and glass.

edit: There's also the vortex factor...

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: CG420

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
It will work with metal and glass! It's just a lot harder to accomplish because you have to take in the different rates at which the different materials heat up and you have to make sure you don't heat the glass up too fast. Also, how would you heat the glass - oven?

My ha, and solo both have glass that is heated by the 'metal' heating chamber. So it's certainly possible. However, it would be much harder to accomplish temp equilibrium with a large piece of glass like a glass atomizer.

@Quetzalcoatl you're right that the bowl enrico is using isn't listed for sale, but I suggested that he's using a herborizer, verdamper, or a custom bowl earlier. You might be better off contacting a glass blower to make one custom then buying other ones that I suggested and hoping they work. Or wait for enrico to put them up on his website.

grokit

well-worn member
It will work with metal and glass! It's just a lot harder to accomplish because you have to take in the different rates at which the different materials heat up and you have to make sure you don't heat the glass up too fast. Also, how would you heat the glass - oven?

My ha, and solo both have glass that is heated by the 'metal' heating chamber. So it's certainly possible. However, it would be much harder to accomplish temp equilibrium with a large piece of glass like a glass atomizer.

It will vaporize, but it won't be the same as the adapt a bong system, partially for the reasons that you've just outlined. It may still be great but more like the solo and ha experiences that you describe. So if it's not the same vapor quality and it's harder to do why bother with it?

Last edited:
grokit,

Monsoon

I accidentally placed a cold Apollo heater on a hot atomizer again and they've fused together. This is the second time it's happened, I tried banging against the joint like last time but so far it hasn't done anything other than scratch it up a bit. Going to try a bit more, anyone have any tips? Otherwise I'm ordering a replacement on Monday and then seeing about a warranty fix.

Monsoon,

CG420

Over the horizon u can see the edges of the Earth
I accidentally placed a cold Apollo heater on a hot atomizer again and they've fused together. This is the second time it's happened, I tried banging against the joint like last time but so far it hasn't done anything other than scratch it up a bit. Going to try a bit more, anyone have any tips? Otherwise I'm ordering a replacement on Monday and then seeing about a warranty fix.

How in the world does your sub fuses together. Has never happened to me. Are you keeping your apollo and atomizer clean? I've been doing the double screen, tapping out bowls like Enrico, and so far no fusing and I have even left the apollo on the atomizer when I shut off my unit. Never stuck together. Maybe the residue is causing it.

CG420,

Monsoon

How in the world does your sub fuses together. Has never happened to me. Are you keeping your apollo and atomizer clean? I've been doing the double screen, tapping out bowls like Enrico, and so far no fusing and I have even left the apollo on the atomizer when I shut off my unit. Never stuck together. Maybe the residue is causing it.
There shouldn't have been much residue since I cleaned it 2 days ago. It won't fuse if you keep them together to cool down or through normal use, seems to ONLY happen if the atomizer is hot and the heater is cold. I realized less than a minute later and it was already too late. Specifically I was using the E-Nail and swapped it out to take a flower hit. I hadn't turned it off earlier and didn't notice it had shut off by itself. If you don't have both this will probably never happen to you.

Monsoon,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
There shouldn't have been much residue since I cleaned it 2 days ago. It won't fuse if you keep them together to cool down or through normal use, seems to ONLY happen if the atomizer is hot and the heater is cold. I realized less than a minute later and it was already too late. Specifically I was using the E-Nail and swapped it out to take a flower hit. I hadn't turned it off earlier and didn't notice it had shut off by itself. If you don't have both this will probably never happen to you.

This exact thing has happened to me, although I swapped the enail out for a hot Apollo. But due to the temp differences it still fused together.

I tried using pliers to pull them apart but that didn't work.

I tried heating the Apollo up to full temp. I figured that the Apollo would get hotter than the enail, and I could separate them. But that didn't work.

I ended up letting both the atomizer and Apollo cool down to room temp, gave it a little tap and they separated.

I still scratched the shit out of my atomizer with the pliers though.

Please make the next version of the atomizer with some flat edges so we can put some wrenches on the atomizers enrico!

notmyrealUSERname,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Torch the atomizer, if no torch, hold it over some type of flame like a stovetop (be careful with your apollo cord).

My UFO has gotten stuck in my atomizer a couple times, but just a few seconds of torching expands the atomizer and they come apart quickly.

CG420

@Monsoon so no residue just fuses when it is cold on the apollo to the hot atomizer? Sounds like you bought the double deal package. I think if you have used the e-nail for more than you normally do for the apollo the atomizer should end up pretty sticky inside. That's what I assume is the 'residue' that is keeping it fused together. Just guessing, I don't have a nail so I guess I will never know what's causing it to do that so often.

EDIT: just read that your atomizer is usually clean. Sorry, I can only imagine what this problem could cause you. Best thing to do is to let your apollo heat up before initially putting it on.

CG420,

grokit

well-worn member
So this morning I woke up to a broken timer/controller box, the override does not work anymore.

1000336-02-00-00-00_lg.png

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Nooooo! I don't want to hear that - suddenly I'm afraid for my timer box' life!

Does it still heat up the Apollo - just the over ride failed?

notmyrealUSERname,

CG420

@grokit damn, how did that happen? Enrico pulled the switch on your unit i bet haha. Was your unit on for 1+ hours (less than 2hrs) or more than 2 hours? Or 3+ (overnight)? I have only ran my override for about 2-3 hours and shut off after being done. I have only used that option for 2 hours or less for the times I usually choose to override.

CG420,

grokit

well-worn member
Nooooo! I don't want to hear that - suddenly I'm afraid for my timer box' life!

Does it still heat up the Apollo - just the over ride failed?

Yes it heats up, then turns off before I get around to using it :cuss:
Do I just send it to sublimator with my receipt?

I would prefer to keep the broken one until I get the replacement, but I understand that I will probably have to send the "expired" unit in first. Which means with shipping to canada, so I will be subless for quite some time.
So I will wait until the evo arrives and then send it:science:

@grokit damn, how did that happen? Enrico pulled the switch on your unit i bet haha. Was your unit on for 1+ hours (less than 2hrs) or more than 2 hours? Or 3+ (overnight)? I have only ran my override for about 2-3 hours and shut off after being done. I have only used that option for 2 hours or less for the times I usually choose to override.

I have been letting it run overnight lately, as turning it on/off seemed to make the buzzing problem that had recently developed worse. The buzzing actually sounds like a mechanical timer--I've heard that same sound from cheap plug-in light timers on occasion. If I tapped the controller in a certain way, I could get the buzzing to stop. Now I know what the buzzing signifies--the beginning of the end of the timer!

I don't think that leaving the sub on was a factor, as it was hardly ever turned up all the way and when it was it was just to check the wattage or burn off for a few minutes. It gets plenty of chances to "rest" when I leave the house or when the 24 hours are up. Also it is still pulling over 59 watts at max so It's all good from a heat standpoint, just a failed timer.

:(

Last edited:

Monsoon

After using nothing but oil for 24 hours I needed some flowers to balance it out so I dusted off my ExtremeQ to take some bag hits out of my bong. Not used to the vapor profile, and two sativa bags (Chocolope and Viet-Cong) pretty launched me to a 10. Gonna have to postpone going to the store for a couple hours now, lol.

While the high is nice, here are the negatives after using the Sub:
  • Bong gets stunk up a lot quicker. I used to clean my bong between seshs because because of the smell that accumulated. With the Sublimator and E-Nail I can go a couple days before it really bothers me.
  • It's a lot harsher on the throat on the EQ. And that was from a bag through water in the same bong I use with the Sub (Blaze). Also I can't hold it in as long.
  • Parts get dirty a lot quicker. I have a sensitive throat and find clean parts are best and the glass and bags with the ExtremeQ have to be cleaned at least daily. With the Sub I can get away with cleaning the atomizer weekly.
Still no luck with un-fusing the Apollo. Just realized Canada Post is closed tomorrow so it looks like the earliest I can get a replacement delivered is Wednesday now.

weedemon

enthusiast
sorry to hear about your broken box man! :( that sucks. I leave mine on for days at a time sometimes. it's the dimmer switch adapt a bong style.

so any subs have an auto shut off timer?

weedemon,
Reactions: grokit

Monsoon

sorry to hear about your broken box man! :( that sucks. I leave mine on for days at a time sometimes. it's the dimmer switch adapt a bong style.

so any subs have an auto shut off timer?
All the ones sold July onward pretty much.

Monsoon,

grokit

well-worn member
That's when I bought mine, July. I find it troubling that there is no reference to service or support or warranty policy at the sublimator.ca website. All they mention is that you have 30 days to return unused merchandise for credit, refund or exchange. At least their email address has the word support in it, that is the only place that word appears. Hopefully I'll hear back, but their website does not inspire confidence.

:shrug:

grokit

well-worn member
So vapman was cool, but he said that I had to send it to the vendor first, who would then send it in to sublimator, then sublimator will send the part to them, then they will send it to me. At least that's the way I interpret "You should send the Appolo back to Fresheadies and he will sent it back to us. The timer seems to malfunction. I can only trade directly for units bought on www.sublimator.ca at the moment."

So in addition to international shipping, now I have to wait for the back and forth between vendor and manufacturer. That's a really weird way of implementing manufacturer support, but what can I do.

Then a few hours later Enrico chimed in to seemingly blame it on me: "You should never run your unit on over ride there is a reason there is a timer on it".

I responded by informing him that the heater was still working great, and to ask for the official instructions on what to do, and what not to do.

I would also add that "there is a reason" there is a timer override on it. Mainly that a 30-minute timer and a 20-minute heat up time leads to only a 10-minute subbing window, which makes it pretty much unusable for me without the 24-hour override. Which I do turn off manually more often than not.

I thought the timer was to protect the heater, not the timer itself which is what broke.

Last edited:

Monsoon

That's when I bought mine, July. I find it troubling that there is no reference to service or support or warranty policy at the sublimator.ca website. All they mention is that you have 30 days to return unused merchandise for credit, refund or exchange. At least their email address has the word support in it, that is the only place that word appears. Hopefully I'll hear back, but their website does not inspire confidence.

:shrug:
If you got it through PV, you should probably contact them first. I don't think any of us here should be worried, but it's definitely something they need to update on their site.

Then a few hours later Enrico chimed in to seemingly blame it on me: "You should never run your unit on over ride there is a reason there is a timer on it".

I responded by informing him that the heater was still functioning fine, and to ask for the official instructions on what to do, and what not to do.

I thought the timer was to protect the heater, not the timer itself which is what broke.

If we're to assume the timer is there for a reason, what are people supposed to assume the override is there for then? Getting detailed usage instructions up on the site and in the box should really be a priority for them and should also reduce support emails/warranty claims. Before that happens, I hope they're at least more lenient in cases where it was damaged due to customer misuse, at least on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
I would call up Diana at freshheadies and talk to her. Freshheadies has some of the best customer service in the world. No joke. She will help you in one way or another.

Been Vapin,
Reactions: grokit

grokit

well-worn member
I would call up Diana at freshheadies and talk to her. Freshheadies has some of the best customer service in the world. No joke. She will help you in one way or another.

Thanks for that. The one time I called them, I would have to agree they were great. But they are horrible at responding to written inquiries. I have sent a couple before and never heard back, that's why I had to call last time. Today I sent an email to the manager, and to their cs portal through their web site. If past experience is any indicator, I will not hear back and have to call. But I'll give them another day or so before I do, as I prefer written communication in these situations to avoid any ambiguity.

Last edited:

Monsoon

Replacement Sub has been ordered, hopefully have it in a day or two. I'll get in touch with PV soon to see what I can do about getting it fixed/replaced. Maybe they have a special tool for this sort of thing. I have a few friends who might be interested in one at a discounted price so selling it won't be a problem when I get it back. Despite the fatal flaw I love this vape too much to go without it for very long.

Monsoon,
Reactions: CG420
Top Bottom