Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
So the splinter z is better than splinter v2 correct. I want massive hits haha
They can all do that @Shit Snacks has the right of it with his comment above.

@cybrguy the DNA seems slower to me at this point but it might be user error. What I'm learning with the DNAc is that it's markedly less of a scorch/hotspot risk than my TC mods and over time that has me using a wider range of wattage and temp settings.

I've said this before but it's relevant: my TC mods were never fully dialed in, I just happened to like the way they were working so I left them there. I was running TC at 185 and just enjoying the performance between 350 and 385°. My first dna was the bronze wismec and with the ecigprofiles my Splinters preferred a similar range on that. Now I have the Z on a DNA75C and I can get good hits anywhere from the 370 to 430° range with the XL8R. I push wattage mode higher with it too. The DNA75C seems really steady and even. With the Z maybe I get it warmed up in wattage to start with. Maybe it won't take as long to start clouding out now that I'm aware the temps are more comparable to a session vape.

sickmanfraud

Mangu

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@pakalolo is the smoked glass of the V2 any thicker than what was with the V1?

I have so many stems now it's hard to remember which ones came with what. I'm not sure what is sent out with current V1s, but my stems are either 2 mm or 3 mm. The smoked glass stems are 2 mm and stems for the Custom are 3 mm. I have two XL8Rs, one of each thickness. I don't know which of these is standard.

Also, 19/22 stems will fit but only if you use the old basket-style screens. The newer rimmed screens will make a 19/22 too long, since they add ~2 mm.

Easywider

Simple is the way

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

eideal852

That is correct. I just ordered from Vape Fiend. It sucks paying 21 bucks to ship some small glass pieces, but it is what it is... Another option is you can buy the 19/22 stems and grind them down a few MM in length yourself using a dremel or something like that. Obviously that is a pain in the ass and has its own downsides, but it would save you some dough and time if you are up for it. I really don't feel like fucking around with that approach, although it might come to that in the end.
@Snuzcruz yeah my total from lamart was $48 for 2 stems. Yeah I feel you. I'm not that savvy. I'm sure something will pop up sooner or later

Either of you guys ever bite the bullet and grind stems any shorter? I have a Mi1 that hates all my stems, even the one that it shipped with. I wanna TRY to grind, but skurred...

eideal852,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yes they are wrong, someone should notify them. My glass was broken from using a 22mm stem with the old internal basket screen... DO NOT RISK IT...

Agreed that PV should correct their info, but I fail to understand why using a 22 mm stem with internal basket would break anything. The measured length of a 19 mm stem plus rimmed basket (the recommended setup now) is 22 mm. I read your account and scratched my head. You theorized temperature changes but the glass undergoes far more severe temperature changes in use than it would sitting untouched in a drawer.

Edit: Hold on, that's just one example. I'll measure some others...

Edit 2: So there's some variation. The length is only nominally 19 and I have some that are 20 mm. The rimmed basket can add anywhere from 1-3 mm depending on how well it fits. That means you can get up to a 23 mm combo. All of my stems are direct from RBT.

Last edited:

Baked-not-fried

riding the Cannabreak train...
I have the Splinter with the straight sides, no bottom rounding. Does anyone have one of that style here? What stem size does that take? Apologies, I have no way of measuring it. I have two that came with it and one works(clear-short stem), the other does not(cobalt-short stem). I'm in the market for a much needed cooling stem at some point and don't want to order wrong with the prices those can go for. :) Sorry, I have no way of measuring it myself. Thanks so much for any info. Have a wonderful day!

p.s. I run my Splinter on an Evic Primo w/ the stock firmware. Is there some different firmware I should be using to get better results? I just hit it hard in Power mode @ 34W and usually get where I need to be pretty quick-like. Thanks again!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I have the Splinter with the straight sides, no bottom rounding. Does anyone have one of that style here? What stem size does that take? Apologies, I have no way of measuring it. I have two that came with it and one works(clear-short stem), the other does not(cobalt-short stem). I'm in the market for a much needed cooling stem at some point and don't want to order wrong with the prices those can go for. :) Sorry, I have no way of measuring it myself. Thanks so much for any info. Have a wonderful day!

p.s. I run my Splinter on an Evic Primo w/ the stock firmware. Is there some different firmware I should be using to get better results? I just hit it hard in Power mode @ 34W and usually get where I need to be pretty quick-like. Thanks again!

You cannot go wrong with a 19 mm stem and an internal basket. 19 mm should be safe with rimmed baskets as well. Why doesn't the cobalt stem work?

If you are happy with Wattage mode, you don't need any firmware. Stock firmware often has a 10 second long-fire timeout, and some firmware won't let you change that. At 34 W I'd expect that you can get along just fine even with a 10 second timeout, and you can always pulse the button anyway.

eideal852

Must be the camera angle. I just measured with my micrometer: it's 19 mm from widest part of the shoulder and including the rim of the basket. Without the basket in place it's only 17 mm.
That's good to know, 17 w/out. Man I need more of the internal rimless baskets.

I can confirm that the smoked glass is the same thickness as the V1 stems.
measured the same? from my pics at least the smoked seemed a bit thicker. yes, I know SEEMED means nothing at all...

You cannot go wrong with a 19 mm stem and an internal basket. 19 mm should be safe with rimmed baskets as well. Why doesn't the cobalt stem work?
I think older runs are more rough tolerance-wise. I DO know that I have a Mi1 that hates almost every stem I throw at it including the one it shipped with (emerald shorty). colored glass especially, but doesnt even love all the v1/v2 glass, again slight variations. It plays perfecly with the thicker glassed shorty clear that came with my Mi2. Which brings me to: anyone ever grind these down themselves? I mean actually done it not just understand it? I need a yoda...

Shit Snacks

Agreed that PV should correct their info, but I fail to understand why using a 22 mm stem with internal basket would break anything. The measured length of a 19 mm stem plus rimmed basket (the recommended setup now) is 22 mm. I read your account and scratched my head. You theorized temperature changes but the glass undergoes far more severe temperature changes in use than it would sitting untouched in a drawer.

Edit: Hold on, that's just one example. I'll measure some others...

Edit 2: So there's some variation. The length is only nominally 19 and I have some that are 20 mm. The rimmed basket can add anywhere from 1-3 mm depending on how well it fits. That means you can get up to a 23 mm combo. All of my stems are direct from RBT.

Hey you and me both, all I can report is what happened, so I cannot recommend anyone do it... I was told they would fit, it seemed to fit, but then came back to broken glass. There's really no other explanation, so I will keep reminding people not to risk it, because it will be their own fault and the glass will not be covered after 30days... All glass has variance, but the stems I have were all 22mm ones that fit great in my US Z along with Milaanas & Zions, seemed to fit my V2 as well, but then it broke soooo

Sounds like an early US made model? Probably fine with old RBT standard

eideal852

Hey you and me both, all I can report is what happened, so I cannot recommend anyone do it... I was told they would fit, it seemed to fit, but then came back to broken glass. There's really no other explanation, so I will keep reminding people not to risk it.
fwiw, someone on IG (reddit? SOMEwhere;)) had a spontaneous glass break too, ill try and see if i can find the discussion, wonder if some are a bit sensitive

Baked-not-fried

riding the Cannabreak train...
Why doesn't the cobalt stem work?

Sorry, should have been more elaborate on that. It works but only w/ the rimless inserted screen. I prefer the rimmed screens and they work well with the clear stem. I can't really determine why I like the rimmed screens better. I think it may be that I used them for so long w/ my Arizer stuff. Plus I think they are a finer screen. I think. :)

I am pretty content in Power mode. I'm sure I could be enjoying it more but by the time I take a hit this way and think of playing with it that way, I'm already ripped. If it ain't broke, and all that. :) I do think I have a cold Splinter though. My first hit out of the gate is a slow producer after three 10-second pulses. Depending on the strain. Then the second pull is usually where the magic begins/happens. two 10-second pulses maybe start a third pulse and huge vapor. Third pull is the same, even less trigger time. Stir after the third and finish to popcorn if desired with the fourth pull. A couple of stem spins throughout the process. :) I've seen occasional hot-spotting but never combusted. I have a good feel for the heat that comes outta this thing. :) All-in-all I dig my Splinter. Sadly, it has spoiled me as far as my Arizer vapes. I love them with all my heart, but fail to get the lung busters I can get with my Splinter. Still they have their place in the quiver. I do know however that my Splinter would absolutely shine with a cooling stem!

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Sorry, should have been more elaborate on that. It works but only w/ the rimless inserted screen. I prefer the rimmed screens and they work well with the clear stem. I can't really determine why I like the rimmed screens better. I think it may be that I used them for so long w/ my Arizer stuff. Plus I think they are a finer screen. I think. :)

The rimmed screens are finer, which should even out the airflow better. They also change the airflow pattern and the load gets more heat from the sides. Overall—and this has been my experience—the rimmed screens should reduce hot spots and result in more evenly roasted ABV.

Shit Snacks

fwiw, someone on IG (reddit? SOMEwhere;)) had a spontaneous glass break too, ill try and see if i can find the discussion, wonder if some are a bit sensitive

Haha well who knows which model and which circumstances, I am certain they do not have the same custom bent stem I have...

I am pretty content in Power mode. I'm sure I could be enjoying it more but by the time I take a hit this way and think of playing with it that way, I'm already ripped. If it ain't broke, and all that. :) I do think I have a cold Splinter though. My first hit out of the gate is a slow producer after three 10-second pulses. Depending on the strain. Then the second pull is usually where the magic begins/happens. two 10-second pulses maybe start a third pulse and huge vapor.

No such thing as a cold Splinter, since it is up to the mod to provide the power-- it can run hot, cold, and everywhere in between-- all depends how you use it. What you are describing is the heat soaking of the high surface area steel mesh heater, along with typical pure convection vapor patterns. All you need to do is turn up the power if you wish to start hotter... :tup:

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Summer

eideal852

Haha well who knows which model and which circumstances, I am certain they do not have the same custom bent stem I have...
v1 almost positive, used with shipped with stems, babying, careful, all that. I just wanted to submit an admittedly short-on-detail anecdotal account.
oh jeezus, it sounds worse and worse!:ko: fugeddaboudit

Shit Snacks

Or you can preheat for 5 - 10 seconds at your preferred wattage before your 1st draw.

Yeah can do a 5sec preheat from cold at high wattage, then then down to your normal wattage for your hit (I would not hold for 10sec at high wattage, I think it says do not hold longer than 5sec at 50w without drawing...) You can also just do few seconds preheats before each hit, but if they want it to be fully instant full power, gotta up the wattage.

v1 almost positive, used with shipped with stems, babying, careful, all that. I just wanted to submit an admittedly short-on-detail anecdotal account.
oh jeezus, it sounds worse and worse!:ko: fugeddaboudit

Haha yeah definitely different than my V2 situation, sometimes glass is just weak with a defect, within 30days warranty has you fully covered and vgoodiez CS is so fantastic there's no need to worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom