Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
If another batch of the V1, were to be made, they would be V2 since it is the new model with the ceramic. The only difference would be the wood so why would it be called a V1 again?

crazy-eyes-meme-generator-i-dont-see-anything-wrong-with-it-a1b3af.jpg

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
im using an IPV D3 mod i bought a few years ago. Have not tried stirring but I was rotating the stem about a 1/4 turn between hits.

I took the splinter off to use a cartridge so i switched it to 7.0 watts for the cartridge. When I switched back to the splinter i forgot to put the watts up. No preheat slow inhale at 7 watts and im getting visible vapor, and a more even heating
32-B7-E98-E-F6-CC-4172-B668-6-F5-A89598-EF8.jpg

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
im using an IPV D3 mod i bought a few years ago. Have not tried stirring but I was rotating the stem about a 1/4 turn between hits.

I took the splinter off to use a cartridge so i switched it to 7.0 watts for the cartridge. When I switched back to the splinter i forgot to put the watts up. No preheat slow inhale at 7 watts and im getting visible vapor, and a more even heating

Ahhh okay yeah, that makes much more sense then, I feel like the wattage on that mod is just nowhere near accurate lol

Chainfish

Been running the v1 (.24ohm) for few weeks now. Still only using it in wattage mode through bubbler (D020). I preheat for 5secs, then have 2 x 8secs , rotating mod as I go. My hotspot was off centre so rotating has pretty much eliminated it. I stir before each session and get 3-4 per basket running at 36>38.5w on my DNA, and 34>37w on my wismec rx gen1.
I have tried putting screen in stem like you would with a 7thfloor, finer grind and using basket as cap, was very tasty but herb remained very light unless upping past 40w and did become too hot imo. I find the stem too hot generally anyway so have ordered the long xlr stem from vapefiend so will be able to use as portable.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

It doesn't sound or look like there's anything wrong with your Splinter. It sounds like a combination of you learning how to use it combined with an old mod.

Get a hcigar VT75D for $65 from AliExpress. I get good performance from my TC mods but they do need stirring every two hits in wattage or temp mode. The DNA is notably more controlled and the DNAc is even better. Both the DNA mods also heat more evenly in wattage mode. I still like my Wismec RX Gen3 Dual a lot though. It hits hard and fast and I don't mind stirring as needed depending on how hot and hard I want to use it. I wouldn't recommend it at $40 or more given the hcigar with the DNAc is so cheap from China right now.

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Welp it would seem that the V2 is officially only 19/19 after all... Mine suddenly just cracked from using my 22mm stems with internal screen and rimmed screen. I actually didn't even see it crack, it was in my drawer for a week as I fought a cold, went to pick it up last night for this family photo (below) and heard rattling. Looked at it and saw it had cracked in half at an angle from screen area to halfway up, bottom half fell in a bit. So that is the only explanation, using all my 22mm stems, along with fluctuating LA winter temps perhaps sitting in that drawer near a window.

PSA: I repeat, DO NOT use any 19/22 stems with your Splinter V2, only 19/19 so you do not risk cracking the glass (regardless the screen). Warranty covers that for 30 days, then it is on you so be careful with your babies! (Presume V1 is same, not sure for ZV1)

k0ho1x.jpg

RIP V2, SplinterZ and Sliver will miss you, but meet your replacement soon :brow:

I usually use eds stem, i have two. I noticed they fit with a bit of a wobble in the V2. Now i am worried. I measured the taper and they appear to be 22mm. Can i just sand 3mm off?

@Ed's TnT can you advise?

oddjobold,

Summer

Long Island, NY
I have tried putting screen in stem like you would with a 7thfloor, finer grind and using basket as cap, was very tasty but herb remained very light unless upping past 40w and did become too hot imo. I find the stem too hot generally anyway so have ordered the long xlr stem from vapefiend so will be able to use as portable.

I think you'll be pleased w/ the xl8r. I never worry about the color of avb, I just go by taste. When all flavor is spent it's done regardless of color.

@Mynameismud, I, too, think you need a new mod. Read about the 3 different upgradeable firmwares that are available & about DNA mods. & after you decide on the firmware, you can choose the appropriate mod. Prepare to enter Hell! :whoa:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...nvection-510-vapes.25465/page-32#post-1356198

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/t...ns-and-customizing.23742/page-10#post-1353802

Mangu

I usually use eds stem, i have two. I noticed they fit with a bit of a wobble in the V2. Now i am worried. I measured the taper and they appear to be 22mm. Can i just sand 3mm off?

@Ed's TnT can you advise?

I’m sure Ed will get back to you. But from what I can understand the wobble happens because the grain of the wood is harder along two opposite sides of the stem. So, at a microscopic scale the shape is not perfectly round. The good thing is wood is soft so I just make sure my stem is in there firm enough to seal the gaps around the joint. The wobble is kinda helpful when pulling the stem off to give it a quick stir or to just rotate. I don’t think it’s a defect.

Mangu,

sickmanfraud

No way to really be sure, but it is the only possible explanation for what I found...

no incidents of twisting a stuck stem?

Edit:Sorry not paying attention:

I find the stem too hot generally anyway so have ordered the long xlr stem from vapefiend so will be able to use as portable.

I would advise that you try this item https://vapefiend.co.uk/collections/rastabuddhatao/products/milaana-cooling-mouthpiece.

It is about 1/2-3/4 inch longer than the standard short stem. Cools the vapor amazingly well. It feels fragile so I think I would not carry it without significant precautions.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

no incidents of twisting a stuck stem?

Edit:Sorry not paying attention:

Haha no and no one should ever do that!

I actually never used any 19/19 stems with it, only my 19/22s that seemed to fit fine. I did notice my most used one was able to be spun around without sticking at all, despite sitting fully in the female joint, but it must have been hitting the screen. I bet the times it was upside down for loading and unloading the stem from the vape there was pressure on the screen, then change in air temp while sitting in the drawer must have caused it to crack in half... It will head back today.

So again, don't be like me, and only use 19/19 stems with your V2 even if your 19/22 stems seem to fit (they don't!)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: vapviking

TheRobbo

Was driving arround town today and saw this... Shame I didn't have my splinter on me to get in the pic, might have to learn how to photoshop if any more comps come around :cool:
First time using Tinypic too so here hoes nothing!
2zfprw0.jpg

eideal852

Was driving arround town today and saw this... Shame I didn't have my splinter on me to get in the pic, might have to learn how to photoshop if any more comps come around :cool:
First time using Tinypic too so here hoes nothing!
2zfprw0.jpg
Take a pic of your screen and hold your (rbt) vape in front. It’ll do in a pinch. Assuming you can still submit today.

eideal852,
Reactions: Summer

BlazeDis

Hi just wondering if I can use my Temp Control settings with the newer V2 Splinter ? Isn’t the heater on this version all ceramic ?

BlazeDis,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Nope, still stainless steel. Ceramic is just used on the 510 deck, I imagine to have less metal exposed to the air path. I don't know whether the mica plates were also replaced by ceramic though.

Last edited:

BlazeDis

Have the original US Splinter , have heard the newer heater doesn’t need as much power , tempted to get one ....even though I don’t really need one
They look nice though

BlazeDis,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Have the original US Splinter , have heard the newer heater doesn’t need as much power , tempted to get one ....even though I don’t really need one
They look nice though

The new ones have better fit and finish and they heat more evenly. My og walnut Splinter got sold to a friend and is still chugging out clouds like a champ though.

I haven't tried the blackwood V2 or the Chinese Z but I'm sure they're excellent performers and I recommend the V1 and custom Z.

Treat yourself to a dna or dna-c mod at some point too.

bossman,

BlazeDis

Never really noticed uneven heating on the OG but nearly always use the TC settings courtesy of @antispleen
Just lovin that V2 though looks stealthy (apart from the size ) ha
Have a 4 hole Z too which is great for indoors think these are the only 2 vapes I need or want really ...

sickmanfraud

The new ones have better fit and finish and they heat more evenly. My og walnut Splinter got sold to a friend and is still chugging out clouds like a champ though.

I haven't tried the blackwood V2 or the Chinese Z but I'm sure they're excellent performers and I recommend the V1 and custom Z.

Treat yourself to a dna or dna-c mod at some point too.

I understand that for the price difference (less than $50) The custom Z may appeal to some folks. It seems like a small difference in price, however, I want to know why, specifically, do you recommend the V1 and the custom Splinter Z?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: bossman

mmafighterthe25

Hey guys been gone for awhile, I got a ghost mv1 and Evo main drivers. Is a splinter z or tubo evic worth it. I got a The SMOK Mag Grip 225W TC with USB for software an temp control

mmafighterthe25,

Shit Snacks

I understand that for the price difference (less than $50) The custom Z may appeal to some folks. It seems like a small difference in price, however, I want to know why, specifically, do you recommend the V1 and the custom Splinter Z?

Not to speak for bossman, but those are the two he has. I think he had an earlier Splinter as well, and so the Chinese version has the same great performance but a more polished fit and finish (V2 offers a few further refinements) I don't know if we've really seen any reports on how well the ZV1 is working, but I would expect very well. Fit and finish on the new custom models is also pretty fantastic however, so it is just a question of cost, wood, glass, and potentially build...

Hey guys been gone for awhile, I got a ghost mv1 and Evo main drivers. Is a splinter z or tubo evic worth it. I got a The SMOK Mag Grip 225W TC with USB for software an temp control

Short answer, yes, though this is not the place to discuss the Z or the tubo so you might want to check those threads and / or post in the askFC section... To get temp control with that mod, I can tell you it will take some figuring, it could be super simple or it could be a little more involved. That being said wattage mode works great with any mod, as designed.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

@Shit Snacks is correct: I was just saying I can recommend those because I have them. Maybe if there's a 420 sale I'll spring for a V2 or ZV1. It's a can't-go-wrong though since even the $109 V1 is such a versatile and strong performer.

I've heard Ryan describe the Z as a Cadillac by way of explaining that it's not super fast off the line but it's got a smooth ride once you're going. The og Splinter and V1 get heat saturated more quickly. The Z is capable of more even monster hits if that's something you're looking for. It's just not hitting at peak performance for the first few draws.

Even that description should have an asterisk by it though: in wattage mode both the Splinter and Z give you a building heat that can extract really quickly and provide amazing, dense clouds. And wattage cruise (also called "log mode" around here) is yet another way to enjoy them.

I've suggested this before: imagine you'll end up with more than one and just decide which you're buying first. If you get the V1 or V2 then you can see what the bigger Z is about later. If you go for the Z first you can get Splinter later to have something less bulky and less expensive while being faster to extract, especially from a cold start.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
v7vynq.jpg

This is a stock Splinter V2 and this photo does not do it justice. Blackwood is standard for the V2, and it comes with two of these smoked glass stems. Together they make an incredibly handsome pair. You really need to have one of these in your hands to appreciate it. It's also a bit more efficient than the V1, but to be honest since it is so gorgeous I don't care.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The Z is capable of more even monster hits if that's something you're looking for. It's just not hitting at peak performance for the first few draws.
Do you find this to be the case (slower performance buildup) also with your DNA mods?
Pak? Would you be so kind as to measure the GG on that stem? It looks longer than 19mm, or at least less square...

mmafighterthe25

Do you find this to be the case (slower performance buildup) also with your DNA mods?

Pak? Would you be so kind as to measure the GG on that stem? It looks longer than 19mm, or at least less square...

So the splinter z is better than splinter v2 correct. I want massive hits haha

mmafighterthe25,
Reactions: eideal852
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom