Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

almost there

This is interesting. I have a square edge Splinter also. I thought there was only one run of square edge splinters and that was to save time at one point. But, mine is definitely 19/22, and I think was just before he changed to 19/19 but after the waitlist.
I'll have to look back and see when I picked it up but pretty sure China had not dropped yet.

Just checked and I ordered 7/15/18 and the waitlist discount still applied. I thought the first 19/19s were from China.

Since I bought one of each let me see how I remembered it-

August 2018 was the official production release of the custom splinters as we know them today with the 19/19 German glass and the triangles on the base. Prior to that was the wait list splinters that was outfitted with random glass that was either clear or colored but had a 19/22 joint and a deck that had numbers and letters not the triangles. January 2019 was the release of V1 and that's when China entered the RBT market.

@Hippie there was a few wait list units that made it out of the US before Ryan decided he didn't want to deal with international sales anymore, Vapefiend didn't come around till later when the customs were in full swing

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I definitely remember being a bit miffed at the time as I joined the list before you and wanted a 19/22 for compatibility with my other stems and adapters and saw people who joined after me getting them, then when our turn came they'd ran out of 19/22s and there weren't any 19/19 accessories left either.
Oops, sorry @Hippie. :shrug: It was very wild westy at that time and I think Ryan was a little nervous about RBT's survival and was trying to build some cash so he needed to do what generated it fastest. At least that is how it seemed at the time.

I actually had been resisting the Splinter for fear of the whole mod thing, but I caved based on the glowing reports. I'm glad I did. I have been thinking about getting another spZ while he still has some 19/22 glass, but that would be 3 Splinters and I can't rationalize it...

cybrguy,
Reactions: Hippie

Deano

Something odd just happened...

So round 1 with the Splinter v2 and Wismec Gen3 was excellent. I just packed it again and set it to 25W and didn't notice any clouds at all just a little flavor. I pulled again thinking it was just warming up and nothing.

I then proceed to increase to 30 all the way to 40 and nothing. A little taste but no visible clouds at all. The material still had it's color and didn't seem to be effected at all.

Not sure what changed between the first and second session but it's night and day.

Deano,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Something odd just happened...

So round 1 with the Splinter v2 and Wismec Gen3 was excellent. I just packed it again and set it to 25W and didn't notice any clouds at all just a little flavor. I pulled again thinking it was just warming up and nothing.

I then proceed to increase to 30 all the way to 40 and nothing. A little taste but no visible clouds at all. The material still had it's color and didn't seem to be effected at all.

Not sure what changed between the first and second session but it's night and day.

It can help to lock the resistance and then nudge it up if you don't feel like the wattage or temp equates to the heat you expect. I like my V1 at .23ohms, which is admittedly on the hot side.

bossman,
Reactions: cybrguy

Deano

It can help to lock the resistance and then nudge it up if you don't feel like the wattage or temp equates to the heat you expect. I like my V1 at .23ohms, which is admittedly on the hot side.

I don't recall changing the ohms, just the watts. Should I be adjusting both and is it possible that is what caused my issue even though I had it turned up to 40w?

Deano,

Summer

Long Island, NY
You have the gen3 or gen3 dual? Try removing & reinstalling the Splinter when cool. Your resistance should be something like .23x to .24x
When you press the fire does the mod give any notification? The Splinter is slated for up to 50w. You shouldn't need to change your resistance in wattage.

Summer,

Deano

I have the Reuleaux RX GEN3 with 3 batteries if that helps.

When you say resistance what exactly do you mean? When I press the fire button the count to 10 seconds begins and does it's thing.

Am I not supposed to increase wattage as the session progresses? I thought adjusting wattage throughout the session was similar to adjusting temps on other vapes.

Deano,

Summer

Long Island, NY
Of course you can step-up wattage as you go, just stay under 5O, which I think even through water would be on the harsh side. Resistance is ohms. It shows next to the coil symbol on the display. Look at your instruction manual.

There have been some issues with this mod, but apparently it's working & don't assume it's the Splinter. But electronics is not my forte.

Grind preference runs from fine to coarse so that shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to not overpack & ever so lightly tamp down the top of the load. This is as far as I can help. Hang on for other replies.

Summer,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It sounds like a problem with the mod and or the connection if it was heating fine and now it's not heating at all... Sorry I can't be of more help, I guess try unscrewing it and then reattaching?

Shit Snacks,

flammy

Can anyone please help me understand what the difference between the splinter v1 and v2 are? Is it just aesthetics? TIA!

Last edited:
flammy,

Shit Snacks

Can anyone please help me understand what the difference between the splinter v1 and v2 are? Is it just aesthetics? TIA!

I don't know why I am always the one to do this, but I've answered it at least three times in the last several pages if you want the specifics... Basically yes lol

Summer

Long Island, NY
@flammy,
The V1's are the last units to use mica as all V2s are made with cermic and all units with the 3D RBT logo on the bottom of the 510 fitting have the plastic 510 positive heater terminal replaced with ceramic. The 510 ceramic terminal is now under provisional patent so RBT is the only 510 vape that does not have plastic in the flow field

Currently the V1 is bubinga wood while the V2 is blackwood. I assume that when the V1s are discontinued that the V2s may be produced in both blackwood & bubinga. We'll see.

Summer,
Reactions: flammy

flammy

@flammy,

Currently the V1 is bubinga wood while the V2 is blackwood. I assume that when the V1s are discontinued that the V2s may be produced in both blackwood & bubinga. We'll see.
Thanks for that. I did look before I asked. I obviously overlooked that. Are they functionally the same though? If you had a v1 and the v2 came out, is it worth the upgrade?

flammy,
Reactions: Mangu

Summer

Long Island, NY
Last edited by a moderator:

sickmanfraud

How does that resistance stack up against the DNA measured resistance?

sickmanfraud,

MasterChief

I’m thinking about ordering one of these during the sale, but had a few questions.

How much material does the V2 hold?

Is the Z worth the price difference?

I’ve never owned a box mod. Can anyone recommend one that’s easy to use?

Is there anything else I need to buy to get the most out of this vape? I plan to use it with glass too.

MasterChief,

mucsusn

60 going on 20
Oops, sorry @Hippie. :shrug: It was very wild westy at that time and I think Ryan was a little nervous about RBT's survival and was trying to build some cash so he needed to do what generated it fastest. At least that is how it seemed at the time.

I actually had been resisting the Splinter for fear of the whole mod thing, but I caved based on the glowing reports. I'm glad I did. I have been thinking about getting another spZ while he still has some 19/22 glass, but that would be 3 Splinters and I can't rationalize it...
I’m considering a 5th one....love these little fuckers!

Shit Snacks

I’m thinking about ordering one of these during the sale, but had a few questions.

Is there anything else I need to buy to get the most out of this vape? I plan to use it with glass too.

As much or as little as you want, bowls are adjustable depending on stems and screens, but average is .05 - .25 probably... If you've never tried any RBT gear V2 is fine, Z can offer more power with larger heater if that is particularly important to you as it is worth the money, but the V2 is no slouch and smaller of course.

Mods are more complicated, research if you want simple temp control on demand or the as intended simpler power mode with watts to control. Also depends how many batteries you want, Reuleaux Gen3Dual and Sinuous P80 are nice options, DNA mods offer the better temp control experience, but I would stick with watts to start personally...

And yes then get the male to male adapter for sure, the cooling stems are nice too.

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: cybrguy

eideal852

Material, whatever you like. You can squish in a .3 nug into the regular included basket no prob, though you can get down with way less, just to cover the screen, and gtg. If you need more, place a rimless or flat screen down IN the stem, and pack then cap with a basket (or not!) and I'd wager you can .6 it. I do however get better performance on the lighter side, better easier extraction, then rinse and repeat. I tend to grab what I think is right and force it. If it's not enough for two, i force it in one!

FWIW, I tend to grab the Z when I have a few minutes to myself/ few stems and some breathing room. it's no slouch, but its so much better warmed up a bit that it just plays better that way.

Quicker sesh would be the v1/v2 seems to crank pretty quick...

When I really need the quickness I grab the Milaana, that direct unregulated BWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! just gets it done!

tblast

The sale is appealing, but if I already own a Milaana and a Zion, and I don’t own a box mod, is there a good reason to get a splinter? Other than to have a great backup, of course...

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Material, whatever you like. You can squish in a .3 nug into the regular included basket no prob, though you can get down with way less, just to cover the screen, and gtg. If you need more, place a rimless or flat screen down IN the stem, and pack then cap with a basket (or not!) and I'd wager you can .6 it. I do however get better performance on the lighter side, better easier extraction, then rinse and repeat. I tend to grab what I think is right and force it. If it's not enough for two, i force it in one!

FWIW, I tend to grab the Z when I have a few minutes to myself/ few stems and some breathing room. it's no slouch, but its so much better warmed up a bit that it just plays better that way.

Quicker sesh would be the v1/v2 seems to crank pretty quick...

When I really need the quickness I grab the Milaana, that direct unregulated BWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! just gets it done!
Jealous of that Milanna.

I was/am hoping for a deal on a ZV1 just because I love my custom Z that much. I should really pass on that PIU deal on the V2, much as I'd be curious to compare it to my V1. I'm hoping they're about the same in which case I'd prefer the smaller size of the V1 even if it is a bit more fragile.

I think my healthy Splinter relationship has diminished my zeal for 420 shopping. I'll start looking at stuff and be like "Well shit, if I'm gonna spend that then I can get a Splinter!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom