Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano

Which software is best to run on the Wismec Reuleaux Gen3 with the Splinter V2? I'm going to try it stock at first. I updated the firmware so far and noticed that it has a wattage adjustment mode and temperature. On my Crafty I liked being able to adjust through the temp ranges with the mobile app.

I would start as low as 365* F and slowly increase the temp throughout the session. It was super efficient this way and the taste was amazing at low temps even if the clouds weren't huge. I'm thinking I can try this method with the Wismec as well.

I'm not sure how to adjust the standard 10 sec draw time to 15. Any suggestions on this?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Which software is best to run on the Wismec Reuleaux Gen3 with the Splinter V2? I'm going to try it stock at first. I updated the firmware so far and noticed that it has a wattage adjustment mode and temperature. On my Crafty I liked being able to adjust through the temp ranges with the mobile app.

I would start as low as 365* F and slowly increase the temp throughout the session. It was super efficient this way and the taste was amazing at low temps even if the clouds weren't huge. I'm thinking I can try this method with the Wismec as well.

I'm not sure how to adjust the standard 10 sec draw time to 15. Any suggestions on this?

I don't remember where I saw how to change the draw time, @HerbieVonVapster had shared it with me on here I believe...

And unfortunately I don't think you will have much luck with stock TC, it is tricky to set it up since that is not the standard configuration for splinters. You will get similar effects with wattage, try starting at 25watts then "temp step" all the way up to 45 and see how that works for you.

Summer

Long Island, NY

You may not be able to adjust the stock software, as it's usually only 10 sec. Mine, I was lucky, did have the 15-sec option.

You want to upgrade to sur_myevic to have autofire & presumably better firmware. I'm stll using stock firmware in wattage. For me, 2 hits @ 32W for flavor & then 2 or 3 more @36W -- with the xl8r stem. Wait 2 hours, repeat. One day, I'll get around to updating & venturing into the TC abyss.

Hippie

I like Sur_myevic

have a read of HerbieVonVapster 's posts in this thread for the low down on sur_myevic
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/tc-box-mods-firmware-discussions-and-customizing.23742/page-6

I like to ...
Enable PID mode in vaping > algo
Switch off the screensaver in screen > saver
Set the contrast to about 10% in screen > contrast
Disable the modes you don't use in vaping > modes
Set prot to 25 in vaping
Enable Autofi and set the ATime to infinity in vaping (for autofire)
Set the clicks you want in Interface > clicks (I like 2 PPwr 3 edit and 5 off)

If you enter edit mode (3 clicks by default) and click down you can change the parameters displayed on screen too so I like to have the mod temp showing in one of the slots.

You'll find a few different TCR recommendations in this thread already if you read back a few pages.
The TCR is the rate of change of resistance with temp, which is how the mod regulates the temp.
As the temp is calculated using the resistance it's important that the mod and Splinter are both at room temperature for the initial resistance reading.
Increasing the TCR will increase the heater temp
Increasing the resistance will also increase the coil temp
The reverse is also true for both
So I like to set the TCR to around 185 and start with a low resistance and temp on the mod and increase the resistance until I'm happy with the vapour production I expect at about 190 degrees C

Shit Snacks

You may not be able to adjust the stock software, as it's usually only 10 sec. Mine, I was lucky, did have the 15-sec option.

You want to upgrade to sur_myevic to have autofire & presumably better firmware. I'm stll using stock firmware in wattage. For me, 2 hits @ 32W for flavor & then 2 or 3 more @36W -- with the xl8r stem. Wait 2 hours, repeat. One day, I'll get around to updating & venturing into the TC abyss.

You can do it in the RXG3D just like the P80. I did it to mine right away and used stock for a good while. It is pretty nice with hexagon layout scheme. I now have surmyevic on it for the features and use autofire, but honestly may switch back...

@Hippie you don't have a V2 perchance do you? What model version were those settings made with? Been meaning to try

Summer

Long Island, NY
@Shit Snacks, I think it may be the Wismec brand that gives the 15-sec option as my Ravage is Wismec, too. When I was researching mods, all the others I looked at were 10-sec. I was happily surprised after I got. You would think that Wismec would include this on their website product spec sheets, but they don't.

@Deano, my firmware may be different cause the Ravage uses color screen firmware. I go into Settings & scroll down to Timeout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shit Snacks

Would you mind telling me how you adjusted this?

Sorry, as I replied to you above, I found out how in the thread but I'm not sure exactly which thread and I don't remember how I did it honestly...

@Shit Snacks, I think it may be the Wismec brand that gives the 15-sec option as my Ravage is Wismec, too. When I was researching mods, all the others I looked at were 10-sec. I was happily surprised after I got. You would think that Wismec would include this on their website product spec sheets, but they don't.

Yeah it is like their little secret for some reason, definitely different for the color screen, this wasn't in any settings it was a special button combination to access a secret settings menu if I recall correctly...

I have a V1 and a 19/19 waitlister
And quite tempted to pick up a z in sales :)

Wait, is the V1 not the 19/19 waitlister? Pretty sure they are the same thing... In any case those settings should match the V2, unless its ceramic in the heater changes things compared to the mica for temp control settings... Gotta play around

Hippie

No not quite
My 19/19 waitlister came from the RBT workshop, has a thinner body, square corners and I think it has slightly thicker glass (sorry can't remember which wood it is)
The V1 was made in China with Bubinga wood, about 2mm larger in diameter, with the corners rounded off, a much smoother finish and the airflow holes are a fraction larger and positioned higher up on the body.
Both have clear glass and mica inside (not sure about logos on the base)
Settings wise I've had to reduce the locked resistance a little lower from the baseline cold resistance reading for the waitlister to achieve the same performance as the V1, otherwise everything else is identical.

@Deano Hold Up and Fire to access the settings menu
There's not a lot to fiddle with in the stock firmware so you should be able to find it quite easily
I just tried to check the manual for you but the lovely lovely people at Wismec have zipped the pdf file so I can't view it on the tablet lol but I think you're looking for timeout in the settings.

Shit Snacks

Ah that sounds right, thought it would be tougher to configure, but then yeah it was easy when I tried it so that should do it, please let us know how it goes @Deano

Totally forgot there were ever US made 19/19 units produced, I didn't jump in until the last Zs sold direct from RBT, then waited for V2 to get a regular Splinter from VGZ. Anyone here with both V2 and V1 to know if settings might remain similar? I can guess yes lol

Hippie

I'm on the desktop now :tup:

From the manual ....

Adjustable Timeout Duration:
Due to different vaping habits, you’re allowed to set the timeout duration from 5 to 15 seconds as you prefer. Press the fire button and right regulatory button simultaneously to enter into the menu system. Press the right regulatory button two times to enter the timeout duration setting. Press the left regulatory button to set the duration and then press the fire button to confirm. Once the duration is set (like 5 seconds), when you hold the fire button and vape over the pre-set time, it’ll display “OVER 5S PROTECT” and shut down automatically. Press the fire button 5 times to restart.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Am I understanding correctly that your 19/19 waitlister is a custom US while your V1 is a China with mica also ...but it still is 19/19, right?

Summer,

wilky

From the manual ....

Due to different vaping habits, you’re allowed to set the timeout duration from 5 to 15 seconds as you prefer. Press the fire button and right regulatory button simultaneously to enter into the menu system. Press the right regulatory button two times to enter the timeout duration setting. Press the left regulatory button to set the duration and then press the fire button to confirm. Once the duration is set (like 5 seconds), when you hold the fire button and vape over the pre-set time, it’ll display “OVER 5S PROTECT” and shut down automatically. Press the fire button 5 times to restart.
i been looking for this many thanks

wilky,

Deano

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the information and help with the settings. I'm brand new to mods. I've always had vapes that were all inclusive and straightforward to a certain degree.

If I'm using the default temperature mode just to get a baseline of performance do I also need to set the wattage? I see all these various settings and options that can be tweaked but I'm not sure if everything needs to be fine tuned before you can begin using it?

Can I simply turn it on, adjust temp, and fire away or do I need to preheat and if so, for how long?

In some videos I've seen on YouTube it appears some users hold the fire button for 4-5 seconds and then it's ready to pull. What I couldn't figure out is if that is true with stock firmware or if their units were modified allowing that ease of use.

Also, the 2 holes on the Splinter V2...are they designed to be a carb? Hold one then release at the end of the draw or leave them both wide open while pulling?

Sorry for all the questions. I knew there would be a slight learning curve with this setup but hopefully once it's all understood and configured it'll be a worthwhile investment and incredible experience!

From the manual ....

Does the atomizer need to be connected for this to work? I have tried this with the device on and nothing happens but a message saying "no atomizer found". With it off nothing happens at all unless I hold both the fire and right regulatory button but it takes me to TCR SET menu with M1, M2, and M3 options but nothing for timeout duration.

Maybe I'm not doing something right.

Last edited by a moderator:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@Deano if you're using a Wismec rx gen3 dual my suggestion would be to follow Hippie's setup instructions here:

I like Sur_myevic

have a read of HerbieVonVapster 's posts in this thread for the low down on sur_myevic
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/tc-box-mods-firmware-discussions-and-customizing.23742/page-6

I like to ...
Enable PID mode in vaping > algo
Switch off the screensaver in screen > saver
Set the contrast to about 10% in screen > contrast
Disable the modes you don't use in vaping > modes
Set prot to 25 in vaping
Enable Autofi and set the ATime to infinity in vaping (for autofire)
Set the clicks you want in Interface > clicks (I like 2 PPwr 3 edit and 5 off)

If you enter edit mode (3 clicks by default) and click down you can change the parameters displayed on screen too so I like to have the mod temp showing in one of the slots.

You'll find a few different TCR recommendations in this thread already if you read back a few pages.
The TCR is the rate of change of resistance with temp, which is how the mod regulates the temp.
As the temp is calculated using the resistance it's important that the mod and Splinter are both at room temperature for the initial resistance reading.
Increasing the TCR will increase the heater temp
Increasing the resistance will also increase the coil temp
The reverse is also true for both
So I like to set the TCR to around 185 and start with a low resistance and temp on the mod and increase the resistance until I'm happy with the vapour production I expect at about 190 degrees C

Hippie

I don't think you HAVE to have an atomizer on to access the menu but it does make life easier.

With stock firmware I'd stay away from temp control to be honest. The real TCR is a lot lower than 185 and only works at that value if you can also adjust the locked resistance.
I'd just use stock to play with wattage mode and get a feel for how the Splinter heats up and see what wattage setting you like before moving on to installing sur_myevic and setting up temp control.

With the mod taking care of temp control, the wattage you set determines how quickly it gets up to the set temp and at what point the battery won't fire anymore.
I usually have it set around 35W on a single battery mod and 40-45W on my duals.
When you press the fire button you can see the coil temp onscreen, using a whip or a WPA makes it easier to see all that (older versions of the Arctic Fox NToolbox will let you monitor what the mods doing live on your computer too, if you want to see more detailed info to fine tune your vaping)
Don't forget that those readings are for the coil tho, not the bowl, and the bowl will take a second or 2 to catch up.

Covering an airhole will just give you uneven airflow and uneven heating on a 2 hole Splinter. There's a couple of 4 hole Splinter owners that like to block 2 for normal stem use and open up all 4 for WPA action but I've not got one of them ..... yet :) (where's my drill?)

Deano

I like Sur_myevic

Thanks a lot for the post and for sharing the link! I read over everything and it's amazing what you can do with these things! It's like rooting an Android device!

Herbie shared this link :https://forum.evolvapor.com/files/file/567-fcshare/
To download the firmware based on his settings but I'm still confused. From what I'm seeing it's setup for the Wismec DNA250. It may also be compatible with the Wismec GEN3 but I'm not 100% sure. Even on this page : https://github.com/MicroSur/sur_myevic I don't see anything that specifically states it's for my device...maybe its compatible with many???

Lastly...I don't even know which file to start with. There are multiple files and folders that are available and have not clue which one I need lol

Shit Snacks

Thanks a lot for the post and for sharing the link! I read over everything and it's amazing what you can do with these things! It's like rooting an Android device!

Herbie shared this link :https://forum.evolvapor.com/files/file/567-fcshare/
To download the firmware based on his settings but I'm still confused. From what I'm seeing it's setup for the Wismec DNA250. It may also be compatible with the Wismec GEN3 but I'm not 100% sure. Even on this page : https://github.com/MicroSur/sur_myevic I don't see anything that specifically states it's for my device...maybe its compatible with many???

Lastly...I don't even know which file to start with. There are multiple files and folders that are available and have not clue which one I need lol

No no, the evolve dna stuff from Herbie is for DNA chipped mods only (this is why many of us recommend them for simple temp control) I'd recommend you stop worrying about trying to get the temperature settings here used to for starters. Just use power mode with watts, start at 25 and work your way up to 45 to get a sense of temperature that way. This is how the splinter was designed to operate and it works great. You do not need to worry about custom firmware and can use the stock set up with the 15sec cut off. Once you get the hang of it, then maybe you can start experimenting to set up some temp control... I think you are overcomplicating things for yourself out of the gate :2c::peace:

Hippie

HerbieVonVapster

Totally agree with holding off on sur_myevic till have a good understanding of what the settings do. Arctic fox will give you a better experience than stock setting and easier to understand. I would start there.

Then move to sur_myevic if you want cruise in the future. I don't suggest messing with cruise till you have everything correctly setup.

Deano

No no, the evolve dna stuff from Herbie is for DNA chipped mods only (this is why many of us recommend them for simple temp control) I'd recommend you stop worrying about trying to get the temperature settings here used to for starters. Just use power mode with watts, start at 25 and work your way up to 45 to get a sense of temperature that way. This is how the splinter was designed to operate and it works great. You do not need to worry about custom firmware and can use the stock set up with the 15sec cut off. Once you get the hang of it, then maybe you can start experimenting to set up some temp control... I think you are overcomplicating things for yourself out of the gate :2c::peace:

You guys were right! I was certainly putting too much effort into figuring all this stuff out with custom firmware and really over complicating the process.

I finally used the Splinter for the first time this weekend with wattage mode and I'm officially impressed! I started out at 25 watts as suggested and gradually worked my way up to 45. So far I have gotten 10-11 draws off one pack. Each with visible clouds and flavor!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
My 19/19 waitlister came from the RBT workshop, has a thinner body, square corners and I think it has slightly thicker glass (sorry can't remember which wood it is)
This is interesting. I have a square edge Splinter also. I thought there was only one run of square edge splinters and that was to save time at one point. But, mine is definitely 19/22, and I think was just before he changed to 19/19 but after the waitlist.
I'll have to look back and see when I picked it up but pretty sure China had not dropped yet.

Just checked and I ordered 7/15/18 and the waitlist discount still applied. I thought the first 19/19s were from China.

Last edited:

Hippie

I think it was a lottery at the time, whether you got 19/22 or 19/19 until he settled on 19/19 and ran out of 19/22 glass. As he was clearing the US waitlist 1st I don't think many 19/22s made it out of the US

I definitely remember being a bit miffed at the time as I joined the list before you and wanted a 19/22 for compatibility with my other stems and adapters and saw people who joined after me getting them, then when our turn came they'd ran out of 19/22s and there weren't any 19/19 accessories left either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom