The Screwball by Vapvana

Razzle_N_Dazzle

My prize bundle arrived today! I thought I'd do a quick little unboxing. I've done the burn-in but won't be able to actually use it for a little while. I might post a little review once I get a chance too. Here it is in all its glory:

My package also included a quick start guide, some stickers, and a personalized note (on the back of the anti ball ball vape club card). I'm interested in seeing the updated quick start guide with Coach Reuben once it's finished.

I really appreciate the extras that were included like the glass pieces, which I actually needed, and the screens. With that being said, I couldn't help but find it a little funny how many extra screens were included. :lol: It'll be years until I need to buy more screens.

And lastly, my favorite part of the bundle, the wittle scoop. Just look at it 🤗 I tend to smoke smaller bowls so I might be using the little scoop more than the big one lol

I wanted to say thank you again to @Vapvana for the end game equipment. It'll be the first thing I grab during the upcoming holiday this month :spliff: And further down the line I'm excited to take a crack at the wireless version once that comes in. I'm sure it'll be great

Razzle_N_Dazzle

It came with both scoops and the glass?
Yup, it came with everything pictured.

Yea, some of those screens should be for the head, and others for bowl(s).
Oohhhh yeah it didn't register that the head also has a screen to keep the rubies in :doh: I was wondering why a couple of the screens seemed more robust than the others. There's also screens in both the titanium bowl and the glass bowl. I think the glass bowl can be used with an injector style ball vape, unless there's another reason for 2 screens below the herb.

Misterhyde

I received my package today too. I received everything exactly the same as @Razzle_N_Dazzle has shown.

I have only vaped a few bowls so far but it definitely extracts well. I like how shallow the adjustable bowl is. It can handle extremely small loads with no stirring. I'm using it with my CH heat stand with no issues. I'm happy to keep testing this in the future. Thanks so much to @Vapvana for the contest! I'm so happy with the screwball so far, also super excited to see a wireless version one day!

Razzle_N_Dazzle

Okay I tried it out with a half bowl. 485F. 3 good sized hits and the bowl was roasted, completely and evenly. I'm roasted too. :whoa: My goodness, I was not expecting to finish the bowl so quickly. I'm dropping that shit down to around 450F for the next hits :lol: This thing is crazy. That is my review.

After some more hits I think around 465F is the sweet spot for the half bowl. Tastes good, doesn't burn too quickly, amd still hits hard.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Okay I tried it out with a half bowl. 485F. 3 good sized hits and the bowl was roasted, completely and evenly. I'm roasted too. :whoa: My goodness, I was not expecting to finish the bowl so quickly. I'm dropping that shit down to around 450F for the next hits :lol: This thing is crazy. That is my review.

After some more hits I think around 465F is the sweet spot for the half bowl. Tastes good, doesn't burn too quickly, amd still hits hard.
I've been playing with the half bowl setting at much higher temperatures (500f-530f) and I am not getting that "stoney" feel - that I can achieve with the full bowl setting and the right temperatures.

What temps are you using to get that body stone / forget your back aches kind of effects? (with the half bowl setting)

I love having a good solid Screwball bowl, normal bowl setting (around 0.3-0.4g) with a snake of rosin (0.05g) and some crumbs of shatter (0.05g), she extracts it all - like a champ - with minimal reclaim and can give me the hit I need to forget about these f%$King re-opened wounds.... but I can't with the half bowl or using smaller amounts (<0.15g), so the Screwball is like a starter bowl or a after dinner bowl, its something I love to do but I can't use her all the time or I would run out of medicine, so I rely on something else for those smaller amounts.

Super keen for the new micro-dosing bowl to see if is able to allow me to use smaller amounts and still get that kick.

** and keen to hear what Temps / Techniques you use to get the most out of smaller amounts.

badbee

How warm does the PID controller get on this unit after an extended session? It's a fair bit of power passing through that small inline controller.

badbee,
Reactions: Vapvana

Razzle_N_Dazzle

What temps are you using to get that body stone / forget your back aches kind of effects? (with the half bowl setting)

I was mainly focusing on flavor and how dark the bowl got. At 485F, after 3 consecutive hits from a bong without removing the head from the bowl, the bowl was very dark, darker than I usually go for AVB. At 465F the extraction is slower and it doesn't get as dark. There was probably still a little bit left in there that I could've gotten at a higher temp but it wouldn't taste as good IMO. I was definitely feeling stoney at 485F. I feel like that's high enough to get a complete roast without burning. I was feeling less stoney lower temps but I also wasn't finishing the bowl in 1 go like I did at 485F.

Also the size of the hit could also make a difference. There's no way to differentiate the size of your hits compared to mine. That's an unknown variable. I'm also a low tolerance person. I was smoking CBD bud. Very low THC. A full half bowl with normal bud would send me to the moon. I'm gonna test that eventually :lol:

But yeah I don't feel any need to go above 485F based on how it performed with 3 consecutive hits. I'd have a coughing fit at a higher temp trying to finish the bowl in 1 go. I'll also test that eventually :lol:

LordOfTheVapes

I’m getting real even results but sometimes there’s a hot ring with it being lighter in the center.

A light ring of cannabis towards the edges of a full bowl is what lead me down the path to trying out different techniques; neat that we had the opposite problem. My latest experiment was to clamp the bowl to the Screwball head in a screenless configuration so I could use it with a glass injector bowl for 100% convection; worked really well...

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I have recently been hearing a high pitched noise in my vape cabinet. I have just narrowed it down to my screwball PID. I now have it unplugged, when I plug it back in it immediately makes the noise again. Do others notice their PID making a noise?
I haven't had that with any PID controller, including the Crossing one from Vapvana. What you are probably hearing is called "coil whine" and is common in power supplies. I've heard it in battery chargers too. Typically I would return a PSU for coil whine, but I don't know if that's possible with this one.

BreadStick

Question: Is it normal for it to have a minor smell when it heats up? I've already done the burnoff. It's less like a burning smell, more of a metallic smell.
If I get close to my ScrewBall when it's hot it does have bit of a metal smell. Same kind of smell I get off a stainless steel water bottle, I can't taste it in the vapour so I don't think/hope it isn't an issue.

add1noob

If I get close to my ScrewBall when it's hot it does have bit of a metal smell. Same kind of smell I get off a stainless steel water bottle, I can't taste it in the vapour so I don't think/hope it isn't an issue.
Question: Is it normal for it to have a minor smell when it heats up? I've already done the burnoff. It's less like a burning smell, more of a metallic smell.
I'm not a huge science guy, but from my understanding that smell comes from oil on the metal reacting with it, and not from the metal itself. So it's probably just the oils from your hands burning off.

Bababouy

I'm not a huge science guy, but from my understanding that smell comes from oil on the metal reacting with it, and not from the metal itself. So it's probably just the oils from your hands burning off.
I agree with this. Any time I handle a head or let it sit for a while I get the at musty hair dryer smell when it’s plugged back in :lol::lol:

I notice that regular metallic smell anytime I have my coils heating up from room temp. Seems to disapate once they get to temp.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I wanted to try and find a way to use the Screwball with a much higher level of conduction... the heater is so good but I feel like I get more out of my meds in devices with higher conduction. I grabbed a 22mm titanium diffuser bowl with a 17mm internal diameter and very thick walls, I put that into a 25mm Axil coil to heat up (415f) and then threw some herb in and put the Screwball heater on the top and damn... damn that was a hell of a hit from what would be less than what I use in the half bowl setting, I have found my option for smaller amounts until the micro-doing bowl becomes available.

LordOfTheVapes

I wanted to try and find a way to use the Screwball with a much higher level of conduction... the heater is so good but I feel like I get more out of my meds in devices with higher conduction. I grabbed a 22mm titanium diffuser bowl with a 17mm internal diameter and very thick walls, I put that into a 25mm Axil coil to heat up (415f) and then threw some herb in and put the Screwball heater on the top and damn... damn that was a hell of a hit from what would be less than what I use in the half bowl setting, I have found my option for smaller amounts until the micro-doing bowl becomes available.
I feel like we are chasing the same thing; when you have time would you please post a picture of the titanium diffuser bowl you used?

JohnnyTorres

I have recently been hearing a high pitched noise in my vape cabinet. I have just narrowed it down to my screwball PID. I now have it unplugged, when I plug it back in it immediately makes the noise again. Do others notice their PID making a noise?
I do, even when turned off. I need to unplug it to make it stop, I thought I might just be going crazy, glad to know I'm not.

JohnnyTorres,
Reactions: Vapvana

sickmanfraud

I have found my option for smaller amounts until the micro-doing bowl becomes available.

You can order a micro-dosing bowl from Defreeze Designs.

If you want to add conduction to a Convections vape you should watch Lee from Table Top Bong
He has a video on conduction from a ball vape.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Now that I've returned home from my SnowBird sojourns, I find my Screwball really suits my style. While travelling, I felt I couldn't leave it "out" in my quarters all the time as all forms of vaping/smoking were not allowed at my timeshare. Now back home, I leave it out all the time.

For me, I find using my Mobius Matrix dry provides the right amount of cooling for my needs.

ApparentlyStoned

When life gives you lemons, lemon tek
A light ring of cannabis towards the edges of a full bowl is what lead me down the path to trying out different techniques; neat that we had the opposite problem. My latest experiment was to clamp the bowl to the Screwball head in a screenless configuration so I could use it with a glass injector bowl for 100% convection; worked really well...

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

I switched glass and haven’t had that problem since. Nice even color throughout the bowl.
It’s interesting how much technique and different glass can affect the results.

I’m super interested in the wireless one.

Top Bottom