Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
I appreciate the suggestions Wake. A lot of it runs contrary to what a few people have been saying (i.e., fine grind). Lots saying your red coil technique isn't good for the unit either.

Also have you tried different strains? Some aren't the most friendly to vape and require a limit push to produce

Yea. I live in Cali and have a decent back log of strains. Haven't noticed combustion occurring with any specific one. As I've mentioned, it usually happens from me being greedy and trying to extract as much as possible/get big hits. Perhaps patience is the key for me.

I think part of my reason for the hot unfulfilling hits may be not priming enough/properly....which will obviously be compounded the lower the battery.

Anyway. Watching the coils has at least helped me estimate peak heat level times at diff battery levels.

But when it comes down to it, the level f attention/awareness needed in order to operate this vape properly on a regular basis might be too much for me :/

You still got that hopper you were selling @bravest?

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
beiber i have repeatable success with the method of packing my stem and insert into the mi..wirh my unit i hold button for 3 solid seconds and start with a really slow draw forabout 5 seconds and i will feel slight heat and reaistance and i release the button and ramp my draw speed up and hit it until i cant. i get most of my hit after i release the button from the residual heat.

@beiberhole69 , although I never combusted, i was charring almost every load early on. You really have to tame this beast, like a wild brumby.

The technique subway described is pretty much the technique I have now settled on.

I find you should release the button as soon as you sense vapor. Not once it gets a little hot or thick, but as soon as you get that first tingle, release the button and keep drawing. I don't increase draw, just keep drawing at a steady pace until you sense the vapor get thicker, then waning.

If you want a bigger hit, continue drawing and press the button again after about 2 seconds, for a further second or 2. Always better to press too little...

Works great for me. Hope it helps you.

Edit-remove wrong quote

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@beiberhole69
og6qtAb.jpg

Screen flat side toward oven, about 1/2 inch from tip. Load to about 1/16 from tip. Tamp lightly, but make sure herb is "seated". I got a no stir 20 hit session like this last night, nothing close to combustion. Lots of button release at the first hint of too much heat. Also pull back, or even pause draw, if too much heat is sensed.

I think the true talent here is learning to draw properly. There is no one exact way because so many variables come into play. Generally, draw slow enough to hover heat in the herb. The heat, the hit, whatever you call it is totally under your control. A bad hit is bad technique.

Play with all the variables of creating suction with your mouth, lungs, tongue, lips, and everything else. Dont ride the heat as much as drive it, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
beiber i have repeatable success with the method of packing my stem and insert into the mi..wirh my unit i hold button for 3 solid seconds and start with a really slow draw forabout 5 seconds and i will feel slight heat and reaistance and i release the button and ramp my draw speed up and hit it until i cant. i get most of my hit after i release the button from the residual heat.

This 3-5-huff has produced some decent results... Though I like to feather a bit more towards the end.

Really, there is no one shoe fit solution... As all know. You really need to be intimately familiar with about 5 variables that change (not always relatively) not only from bowl to bowl, but from hit to hit.

It's daunting. Like going to the archery or firing range for the first time. But with practice, the target seems to be consistently hit with enough practice (hopefully )

I say that after getting 5-6 super flavory, fully satisfying hits off a bowl... There was more there too but I charred in the last hit and didn't want to press the issue. If I can pull that off with that loaf size every time, I am a happy happy man.

ETA: posted that before reading Bravest's response. Glad to see the heart of the msg is the same re: variables and being intimately familiar with them and adapting to them. It really is a swiftly moving target, big hittable with proper technique.

What sucks is... I feel like I'm nailing it now (and I most certainly am) but I'll likely combust tomorrow or Mon and be all frustrated again :p

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
I appreciate the suggestions Wake. A lot of it runs contrary to what a few people have been saying (i.e., fine grind). Lots saying your red coil technique isn't good for the unit either.

There will be conflicting information somewhere down the ladder...this vape can be used in so many ways.

Plus as stated before I don't use the glowing coil method anymore, but I'm also not afraid to try it even though I don't openly prescribe it.

And as far as proper use of the unit...it isn't even supposed to be used with a water pipe, but it's still as popular as ever....go figure...lmfao.

Yea. I live in Cali and have a decent back log of strains. Haven't noticed combustion occurring with any specific one. As I've mentioned, it usually happens from me being greedy and trying to extract as much as possible/get big hits. Perhaps patience is the key for me.

I think part of my reason for the hot unfulfilling hits may be not priming enough/properly....which will obviously be compounded the lower the battery.

Your problem isn't priming too much, it's being to button heavy. If you have ever used the Milana with a water pipe (against the wishes of the manufacturer) you should have noticed that after you release the button the hit is produced...it's a delayed reaction.

If your riding the heat until you hit lung capacity, you won't get the hit your aiming for.

That's why before I said it seems counter intuitive to release the button to achieve a bigger/better draw.

Sounds like your getting the hang of it though
Good luck!

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
This 3-5-huff has produced some decent results... Though I like to feather a bit more towards the end.

Really, there is no one shoe fit solution... As all know. You really need to be intimately familiar with about 5 variables that change (not always relatively) not only from bowl to bowl, but from hit to hit.

It's daunting. Like going to the archery or firing range for the first time. But with practice, the target seems to be consistently hit with enough practice (hopefully )

I say that after getting 5-6 super flavory, fully satisfying hits off a bowl... There was more there too but I charred in the last hit and didn't want to press the issue. If I can pull that off with that loaf size every time, I am a happy happy man.

ETA: posted that before reading Bravest's response. Glad to see the heart of the msg is the same re: variables and being intimately familiar with them and adapting to them. It really is a swiftly moving target, big hittable with proper technique.

What sucks is... I feel like I'm nailing it now (and I most certainly am) but I'll likely combust tomorrow or Mon and be all frustrated again :p
Hola FC:

Everybody keeps playing around wth this vape.
I totally understand all the variables and etc etc etc etc.
But there's a technique that I've certainly prove it... And no stirring needed. Mostly 2 big clouds per load. In less than a minute the load is done and gone.
Slightly lift a couple mm and slowly/faster rotate the stem while drawing slowly/faster. Stem by gravity will slow/fast go down into the heating chamber.
This way you'll never have hotspots or charring or even combustion.
This is a 2 hand operation. Not for everyone.
Not for stubborn people that believe they know it all, not for people with hand disabilities or motion restrictions/spasms/tremors, not for people that aren't careful and mistreat glass, etc etc.
This is a really good vape, but not for everyone. You can't be a carefree person or mistreat this vape. It's kind of finicky and IMO it needs an extra "analness" to it.
Good luck...
This is a vape for a person that has some experience in the vaping world before.
I'd never recommend this vape to a newbie.
It'd be like giving to a kid, first learning how to ride a bycicle with wheelies , a downhill double suspension mountain bike and setting him on top of a big mountain and tell him, "just hit the brakes before each bend and you'll be fine" jajaja

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency

I think these are all pretty wise words, and the fact that you are charring less and less means improvement! Which is always good, so I'm happy you're moving in the right direction. I think we've given you most of the tips we can and it's sorta just up to you to get perfectly familiar with your unit. Remember, charring is still learning as long as you make note of the variables.

The human mind is programmable
Ziiiiiiiiiing, love being a "psychologist" and seeing quotes like this that resonate hard with me! It's such a simple statement that can take you farther than the ends of the earth.

Not for stubborn people that believe they know it all
Hahahahah, dude, you know us too too well. That had me laughing. Read my mind as I was reading your post, futuristic mind reading? Well done...well done. I'll try your technique just because you knocked me upside the head.

"just hit the brakes before each bend and you'll be fine" jajaja
"just let off the throttle before combustion you'll be fine" hahahahah, we take for granted knowing where combustion is.

I tried a new technique yesterday. I normally go for quick hits, but i attempted to keep the temp really low as I did long deep inhales, and the clouds I blew were huge and pure, perfect yellowing herb, and I don't think i even brought it to brown before the potency kicked in and I tossed it.

No matter the technique, it's all based off feedback and knowing how to control what is given to you. Just takes practice! It's so similar to the LSV that I just make it feel as if I were hitting my LSV and it's extremely simple. Also the MFLB gave me way too much practice with heat / airflow feedback.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh yea. I have had this happen twice. Both times with the battery that came with it I think. Popping the battery out and plunking it back in got it going again.

As for tips. Can someone post a pic of an ideal grind? At first I was told my grind was probably too fine and to hand break up nugs, but now that's not enough?

Talkin to someone in PMs and he was saying it helps to increase draw speed through the 2nd half to last quarter of the hit... Is that fairly standard?

Yeah I always say, start drawing slow, even instead of preheat just draw super slow at first, then speed up draw as you sense taste and heat, let go of the button and keep drawing faster to clear from residual heat. I think it is the best way to get consistent hits. Likewise, not a hand grind bc that leads to big chunks and little chunks, consistent grinder grind is better, just not powder fine is all. It is tough bc its your first manual vape, but the rewards can be well worth the effort if you stick with it. Good luck again!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Yeah I always say, start drawing slow, even instead of preheat just draw super slow at first, then speed up draw as you sense taste and heat, let go of the button and keep drawing faster to clear from residual heat. I think it is the best way to get consistent hits.

Pretty much same here. And it's not like I consciously do it, I just feel out each hit and it normally ends out this way. Seems the Milaana guides people in similar directions .. Except for the extra creative like @Zangano Cruel and @WakeAndVape who :science::science:

Soo, I'm out front of the coffee shop (when am I not) and I (a little back story time) used to only have the flight box, and that was the only vape I've ever used. After 3 years of that, I met a friend who showed me his E Nano. It was so powerful compared to what we were used to that it created a new level of high called the Nano Stone.
The Nano Stone and Box Stone became the two ends of the spectrum of types of stones. My Arizer air was a very powerful box stone.
We dreamt of a portable Nano stone, and the Milaana is like 85-90% of that. I'm always blown away when I'm on the go and realize how far this vape could get me if I wanted it to. It's nice having that option to really push it. Maybe it's just my lower tolerance nowadays, who knows. No complaints here though. Well. I guess I could say that when I'm on the go I tend to get the temp hotter to finish fast, which makes me hotspot. The effects make me not care. There are plenty who would though, and I can't blame them.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, my turn to describe how I hit Bam Bam, my Milaana... :) (hitting in the loving sense)

When home I nearly always hit her in glass. On a fresh battery I hold the button about 5 sec and then start hitting. I hit until I see some vapor (starts soon) in the glass and let go for a second or 2 and then press again. I keep getting off the button when I see vapor, and the vapor continues for several seconds. I only need to stay off the button for a second or 2.

As the battery drains I need to hold the button down longer to get vapor flowing, but it becomes natural after a while and easier to decide when to get off the button.

For people who are having difficulty "warming up" to Milaana, I highly recommend trying it through glass for a while. The visual cues help a lot. Once you get it down and you know how to feel the vapor, it all starts to come together and you come to realize what a joy she is. And then you can't do without her... :)

little maggie

So, my turn to describe how I hit Bam Bam, my Milaana... :) (hitting in the loving sense)

When home I nearly always hit her in glass. On a fresh battery I hold the button about 5 sec and then start hitting. I hit until I see some vapor (starts soon) in the glass and let go for a second or 2 and then press again. I keep getting off the button when I see vapor, and the vapor continues for several seconds. I only need to stay off the button for a second or 2.

As the battery drains I need to hold the button down longer to get vapor flowing, but it becomes natural after a while and easier to decide when to get off the button.

For people who are having difficulty "warming up" to Milaana, I highly recommend trying it through glass for a while. The visual cues help a lot. Once you get it down and you know how to feel the vapor, it all starts to come together and you come to realize what a joy she is. And then you can't do without her... :)
What do you mean "in glass"?

little maggie,
Reactions: stark1

TheRobbo

Oh yea. I have had this happen twice. Both times with the battery that came with it I think. Popping the battery out and plunking it back in got it going again.

As for tips. Can someone post a pic of an ideal grind? At first I was told my grind was probably too fine and to hand break up nugs, but now that's not enough?

Talkin to someone in PMs and he was saying it helps to increase draw speed through the 2nd half to last quarter of the hit... Is that fairly standard?

I've been using the let go during the last section of the draw nethod. I actually also used to use heat as a feedcback, but by the time you feel heat it's already too hot and was quite harsh. And probably close to combustion. What I do now is timing, 5 second preheat the draw really slow, this is where high suction low draw cones in, I liken it to thick shake you can use your toung to create suction in your mouth to pull it up the straw but it wont be enough to get to the top with out a little draw from your lungs as well.
I dont actually use my toung to create suction but it kind of feels a bit like that...
So then I imagine that the heat is the thick shake is traveling up the straw really slow like mm by mm giving it time to hang around in the load, then after a few seconds my imaginary thick shake has reached my lips. I let go of the button and ramp up speed and get a decent lung full...
Most hits I actually let off the button before I feel any heat at all and still get good cloud, sometimes I feather during the thick shake phase depending on how hot the unit is/fresh bat.
I find like @bravest it's all about getting the heat to hover in the load, then pulling vapour loaded air out of the unit... What I was doing before this method was just pulling hot air through the load hoping I would get vapour. I did get vapour but inconsistently and quite harsh, because I would be on the button too long.
The new way I consistently get huge clouds that surprise me that I dont cough.
So to summise remember dont just try and pull air straight through the unit you need to let it sit in the stem for a while (but still slowly moving) to work its magic once the vapour starts forming the residual heat will be enough to fill your lungs.
Play with the timing I suspect my unit us considderably slower than yours I would try with 1 sec pre heat or even none and even feather 1 on 1 off during the thick shake section then after 5-10 seconds off and ramp draw right up!
Also I dont start with completely empty lungs I breath in about 1/4 before I start a hit so I dont run out of air during the thick shake part...
I have tryed this with ground, finger ripped and full nug seems to work with everything ground gives the most instant results just dont tamp too tight.
Hope this makes as much sense as it does in my head :science:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Never done it myself but I've been told it's possible with a dremel and lots of water as coolant, and working slowly, very slowly. Like grind gently, immerge in water, grind again, etc.

But wear respiratory and eyes protections, that dust is nasty!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

"Using a glass stem"? For visual clues?

There he meant glass as in a bubbler, but I do think using the long glass stem you can see it forming clearly as well, more instant than via a bubbler. You don't get the mouth and throat sensing you get with the short stem, but cooler vapor that you can watch form is pretty neat

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I wondered whether I needed to clarify that when I posted it.

By "in glass" I mean anything transparent where you can see the vapor inside. I meant primarily water pipes like bubblers and recyclers (click for examples), but a decent dry J-Hook would do the trick as well. You just need to be able to see when you are producing vapor so you can get off the button and avoid too much heat that may lead to combustion.

alltoreup

Damn you, party liquor
Ok you guys want to cut down a glass stem? Here's how I do it and I feel it is safe and I've not broken one yet. Wear safety protection first and foremost. Eyes for sure...you are cutting glass...and some sort of breathing protection. You are going to be creating silica dust after all.
You need a Dremel like tool and a diamond disc mounted to cut the stems off with.
Measure and mark your line all the way around the stem and have it on something you can rotate the glass on while you cut it.
I use two short 2x4s side by side only about a half inch apart to cut stems on.

Hold the diamond disc on the stem and then rotate the stem under the cutting disc until you have a groove all the way around. After you have the groove, keep rotating and cutting until it cuts all the way through. This may take a few minutes. I use almost the highest rpm setting on my dremel and then rotate the glass slowly while the disc cuts through it. After the cut is complete let it cool and go grab a torch...
I use my butane dab torch for this part but I'm sure a propane torch would not only work but be faster at that, so whatever you have will work.
Heat that freshly cut glass stem to red hot and past. Rotate it constantly and you can actually watch the cut marks heat up to red and that's the point when they melt into a smooth edge. Stop there and let it cool. Once cooled it should be good to go and smooth as a factory melt. Or as close as a dude with a dremel and torch is likely to get to a factory smooth edge:)
I've cut off many stems this way and have yet to have a casualty. You can even heat it up again if it is not smooth enough the first time.
I'm actually hitting a cutoff stem I did myself right now. :tup:

The same process applies to the actual joint itself as well. I've cut down ISO joints as well as US joints that were too long and have had great luck with this dremel method.
Slow and steady for the win!

Those Oven gloves are fantastic for holding hot glass with by the way. But a pot holder will work in a pinch when you are heating the glass.

Last edited:

little maggie

I wondered whether I needed to clarify that when I posted it.

By "in glass" I mean anything transparent where you can see the vapor inside. I meant primarily water pipes like bubblers and recyclers (click for examples), but a decent dry J-Hook would do the trick as well. You just need to be able to see when you are producing vapor so you can get off the button and avoid too much heat that may lead to combustion.
Thanks. All my stems are glass so I couldn't figure this out and still feel pretty stupid about needing to ask/
From reading all these instructions it's pretty clear that I'm not using my milaana wrong. I just count to 5 and then inhale. It's not ideal but as long as it doesn't combust I'm ok. I use it daily. Mine is one of the very early ones and I'm glad I got it when it first came out. I was incapable of using the vapman and all these instructions would have kept me from buying a milaana because it would seem too complicated.. I'm more cautious than most of you because I don't know anyone else who is a failed vapman owner. Not criticizing the instructions- just a bit overwhelming for me.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Last night I had a couple of combuster friends over. It was clearly a 2-Mi job. My concern is always protecting my precious from combustion, but as long as I packed and stirred (took care of pre hit variables), noob results were on point.

My verbal instructions always are simple:
1. Pull slowly
2. Release Button at first heat / taste sensation
3. Pull after button release*

*Please note, if u get close to combustion, u might have to cease draw so as not to combust.

We went through about a gram, felt like a couple of hundred hits, or 3 or 4 hours of passing Mi around. No combustion! No counting! Let taste be your guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom