Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Went looking for some tips as I found myself struggling again. Just too often ending up with a hot mouth/throat and no vapor after a hit or two, despite it being nice and green (trying not to grind and retamp to avoid combusting, but when I do, I get a hit). So went looking for more advice and I came across this:

Get your coil to the glowing point, drop your stem in and immediately press the button again and start drawing, it will make the temp climb much faster.

Not ideal, but I'm finding it's consistently getting me satisfying rips and it should help me learn it's timing more to where I won't need the visual cue so much. Thanks Wake

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Went looking for some tips as I found myself struggling again. Just too often ending up with a hot mouth/throat and no vapor after a hit or two, despite it being nice and green (trying not to grind and retamp to avoid combusting, but when I do, I get a hit). So went looking for more advice and I came across this:

Not ideal, but I'm finding it's consistently getting me satisfying rips and it should help me learn it's timing more to where I won't need the visual cue so much. Thanks Wake
Your very welcome! Maybe we should exchange Mi's...at this point I'm wishing mine was slightly hotter.
(Or maybe just new batteries are needed)

I don't use this technique anymore...but should revisit it, just don't want anymore loose glass, even though I'm not positive it was the culprit.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Bah some people report getting only 4 bowls per charge when I get 3, so it's not too far off.

But you know, those IMR cells can really go to 2.5V without suffering any damage. Of course it's best practice to follow the 20-80 rule (don't discharge lower than 20% capacity left and charge only to 80%) but honestly, that something I do with my pricey high-discharge rate Li-Po packs for RC hobby, I don't care for those cheap 18650. I mean you can get them around $5 now, it's not worth the hassle.

I'm convinced you guys are all under using your cells, but I can understand if you want to enjoy the luxury of only using "full and fresh" packs out of the charger, it's more comfortable.

It's not really harder, the technique is the same, you just need to increase your counts. At the end of my 3rd session I need to almost double the trigger time. But it delivers the same, you just need to slow down and be more patient.

But again, those cells are cheap and if you prefer to swap early I can understand.

That was my initial hypothesis too but some members proved that it's not the case as there has been adhesive failures while using the device dry.

Yeah I've always said 4-6 bowls from my early tests on the old cooler beta, and my hotter/faster one seems it could even go above that, especially with a brown LG. I know the batts could go lower, but it'd entail longer button and a slower draw, and it's easy enough to swap when you have a few spares.

I think a big part of it is how you use it, you could count hits per battery instead of bowls (bc i could do tiny bowls that I kill in 4 hits or big bowls that rake 16 hits, everything in between and beyond) but even then the type of hits, slow fast etc. is a huge variable as well. I still say an average of 5 bowls is reasonable but yeah apparently very subjective...

Also glue wise, I don't think any of the latest units have had any issues, I think it was just QC on earlier units not having enough epoxy, in enough places, and I think now the glass bowl is filed a bit to provide better friction for it to bond to the wood more permanently. Bottom wood cap is another story (a copper plate screwed in could be pretty cool no?)

Just be sure not to hold it too long, getting it hot enough to visibily glow under the screen could be risky. It does sound like you like high temps, and also like to draw fast. To combat thst blank hit thing, you need to draw slower and more carefully to really pull the heat through the load. A slower draw would also mean more heat building in the bowl, but the key is getting proper airflow turbulence for the convection vapor. Its not that the heater is overpowered, but with the airflow design it can sneak around the herb (this is less of a potential issue with Zion if I recall correctly). I think it gets easier the more you come to know the unit, and it takes focus being manual, but you'll get there eventually... Good luck!

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
Just be sure not to hold it too long, getting it hot enough to visibily glow under the screen could be risky. It does sound like you like high temps, and also like to draw fast. To combat thst blank hit thing, you need to draw slower and more carefully to really pull the heat through the load. A slower draw would also mean more heat building in the bowl, but the key is getting proper airflow turbulence for the convection vapor. Its not that the heater is overpowered, but with the airflow design it can sneak around the herb (this is less of a potential issue with Zion if I recall correctly). I think it gets easier the more you come to know the unit, and it takes focus being manual, but you'll get there eventually... Good luck!

I really don't think I could draw more slowly if I tried. Was actually going to ask for more details on how to achieve this "high suction, slow draw", or w/e method as maybe I don't actually understand "draw" vs suction. I really don't know if I know the difference between the two.

Shit Snacks

I really don't think I could draw more slowly if I tried. Was actually going to ask for more details on how to achieve this "high suction, slow draw", or w/e method as maybe I don't actually understand "draw" vs suction. I really don't know if I know the difference between the two.

Suction would be, mouth pumping like a tight packed joint, vs a bong where you use a long deep inhale. It should kinda be a mix of both here, if that makes sense? Have you used other pure convection on demand vapes before?

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Hey all. Thanks to everyone who took advantage of the free colored mouthpiece give-away last month. This month we will be in a "Sold Out " status at RBT but our retailers will all have stock on-hand. We are happy to say all of the issues that we have found in the first units have been resolved in the current stock and long term changes to ensure consistent quality moving forward are being made in the weeks to come. The draft for the updated manual is complete and ready for for FC feedback so check it out and let us know what you think. Eventually it will be in a tri-fold format so please excuse the messy look. The idea is a short, simple, manual that teaches people to Vape Different and get started using their Milaana with a set of quick start instructions to guide them to acceptable performance.

So, what did me miss? What would you reword? How would you teach someone in writing how to use their new Milaana?

PS the battery safety and charger instructions will be on another document along with other legal ease.

http://www.rastabuddhatao.net/manual-warranty

Have a nice long weekend all!

subway13029

I'm having great results with my new mi. It def runs hotter but I'm having intermittent issues with the battery not making a connection and for me when I'm not getting the connection it feels like the draw opens up even more because I'm getting nothing but air. So I can tell instantly when it's not working and usually just taking battery out and flipping upside down and using will fix the issue but I'm sure it's the connection inside the unit and not the copper top and it doesn't happen often and I know it will be taken care of at some point. I like this vape and I like other vapes and this one might have best taste on the first FEW rips not just the first. It's in the rotation no doubt but I mainly use it dry in the car on the ways work and such.

ChooChooCharlie

Many Quick Start Guides use a storyboard panel style.
Photos or @Copacetic style sketches would be nice.

The first five steps could be five panels.
Reduce words, let pictures talk.

For steps 6-9:
A simple horizontal timeline Gantt chart with just two stacked bars. One bar showing button pressing over other bar showing draw. A Gantt chart is a helpful visual tool to explain durational start-stop overlaps.

Another Gantt chart could help show/explain "feathering" on weaker charge levels.

Shit Snacks

Many Quick Start Guides use a storyboard panel style.
Photos or @Copacetic style sketches would be nice.

The first five steps could be five panels.
Reduce words, let pictures talk.

For steps 6-9:
A simple horizontal timeline Gantt chart with just two stacked bars. One bar showing button pressing over other bar showing draw. A Gantt chart is a helpful visual tool to explain durational start-stop overlaps.

Another Gantt chart could help show/explain "feathering" on weaker charge levels.

I dig all of this, especially the @Copacetic drawing part... Gorgeous work and it would be perfect got the au naturale vibe

ZC

So, what did me miss? What would you reword? How would you teach someone in writing how to use their new Milaana?

It might be worth mentioning some of the variables in the manual and how to control them, like how a slower draw speed will get hotter temps and visa versa, or how you will need to hold the button a bit longer as the battery drains. If they learn to just hold the button for 3-5 seconds every time they're going to wonder why they're getting different results on their third or fourth stem.

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
+-
Suction would be, mouth pumping like a tight packed joint, vs a bong where you use a long deep inhale. It should kinda be a mix of both here, if that makes sense? Have you used other pure convection on demand vapes before?

Enano is my other main vape. Had a few combustion issues early on with that also (coming from an Arizer air as my first vape back in Dec)

natural farmer

Finally got my ass off the couch and sent my broken Laana in for service... :p

Can't say I haven't missed her... :)

I hope she's back soon fresh and upgraded (maybe one of her newborn sisters, I don't mind... I hope that didn't sound weird) although it's gonna be a while since I use her again due to mandatory absence from the herb.

Very glad to see RBT doing so well and fellow FCers having amazing moments with the girls! :D

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
ssNjJ0y.jpg

Elevate!

Shit Snacks

Stunning.

And I forgot about your glass screen stems, still really want try one, I guess it's only for a deep bowl though, probably great for whole nugs... Also curious about the tophats, allows for a lot of experimentation along with the other stem style (and you have male to males with the screen now too?) and could make bowl smaller but different. Some day I hope to have them

AJS

Calm Consistency
Sitting out front of this coffee shop with the Milaana in my pocket, a tea on the table and a book in my hand. It's a rainy day and the roof extends about 4 feet from my seat so I have a flowing curtain draped in front of me. It's this sort of stillness which gives one a moment of reflection and self transparency. Everything is right in the world and I appreciate the opportunity to feel this way. Tranquility. Calm Consistency.

+-

Enano is my other main vape. Had a few combustion issues early on with that also (coming from an Arizer air as my first vape back in Dec)

There's a few factors that contribute to a hot, but airy hit.
Grind is much too coarse with lots of space between broken up nugs, allowing the air to move past herb and not through herb. (Always keep in mind air will travel to the path of least resistance..so don't give it an unequal path)

Didn't load enough. The air will go around the herb to your throat instead of through.

Pulling too hard. This makes the air pass through the herb too quickly, which doesn't give it time to soak in the heat. Also cools down the heater, and makes the hot air hit your throat faster.

Bowl is too far away. Not exactly sure what's happening here, but I think the heater needs to be at too high of temperature to vape the herb due to the increased distance, and your throat gets the bad end of that heat.

My recommendation. Don't have the basket (I use basket style, open end facing up), at the very tip of the glass. Push it down maybe 1-2mm so a little rim is showing. Maybe a tad bit more if it's too hot.

Grind up and sprinkle in 3/4-4/5 bowl. Don't push down, hold unit upside down like you would the ENano and connect the stem, then either hold horizontal or hit it inverted still, and the heat will tamp it for you. You can remove the stem (inverted) and check to make sure the heat tamped it. It doesn't need to be a full hit, just a few seconds. The herb should have shrunk a tad bit to be about a 3/4 bowl or a tad more. This will also dry out the herb.
Your next hit won't produce huge vapor. It'll suck the resins and terpenes out first. Don't chase higher temps because the herb isn't producing hugr vapor right away, the herb has to go through its phases first.
So if you don't get huge vapor the first hit, don't ramp it up the second, just take a few and see how it goes. Blow over your phone light too so you can see if the low temps are still producing that clearer vapor.

I pull at probably 15% speed, almost as slow as the flight box.

And don't forget to ride the residual heat!! Sometimes I'm off the throttle more than im on during a hit.

And sometimes I pull hard once I'm off the throttle to finish it off faster.

Shit Snacks

http://m.imgur.com/9QA9otm,fMRcEmN,5QcVOiG,xSDCAH9,5weasdW

This what I've been doing lately.

GF and I both combusted last night doing the watch the coil get red method, worked ok for a few stems though.

Yeah I really wouldnt recommend that red coil method at all.

Looks like your bowl is stock style but small?

I'd say try the basket screen style, close to the tip with very slight glass rim. Grind a bit finer than your photos, but not powder fine, then just suck the herb up into the basket like a straw. If there is too much brush it off but basically you want to fill the basket and it should be fairly secure, but it could also be a touch above the basket using that glass rim. After your first hit as AJS said it will be tamped and even fixed in place, secure even upside down.

With that set up you should be able to learn how to control draw and trigger to get consistent good flavorful cloudy hits. It also will then give you an idea of how battery drained below 3.95 needs more trigger where a full one needs hardly any. And similarly in a session with back to back hits, like with two people, you will see how it gets heat soaked and again you really don't need much trigger at all after the first few lighter cloud heavier flavor hits. If you want larger thicker hits right away, then you gotta pulse feather button based on batt level

subway13029

http://m.imgur.com/9QA9otm,fMRcEmN,5QcVOiG,xSDCAH9,5weasdW

This what I've been doing lately.

GF and I both combusted last night doing the watch the coil get red method, worked ok for a few stems though.
Yeah definately grind it better and move the screen back away from the end of the bowl. I don't pack my material all the way to the end like that. Do as shit snacks said and maybe flip the screen but move it away from the heater. Also grind needs to be finer and more consistent. Good luck

beiberhole69

Sexual Maven
I'm having great results with my new mi. It def runs hotter but I'm having intermittent issues with the battery not making a connection and for me when I'm not getting the connection it feels like the draw opens up even more because I'm getting nothing but air. So I can tell instantly when it's not working and usually just taking battery out and flipping upside down and using will fix the issue but I'm sure it's the connection inside the unit and not the copper top and it doesn't happen often and I know it will be taken care of at some point. I like this vape and I like other vapes and this one might have best taste on the first FEW rips not just the first. It's in the rotation no doubt but I mainly use it dry in the car on the ways work and such.

Oh yea. I have had this happen twice. Both times with the battery that came with it I think. Popping the battery out and plunking it back in got it going again.

As for tips. Can someone post a pic of an ideal grind? At first I was told my grind was probably too fine and to hand break up nugs, but now that's not enough?

Talkin to someone in PMs and he was saying it helps to increase draw speed through the 2nd half to last quarter of the hit... Is that fairly standard?

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
@beiberhole69 If using hand broken bugs, I would suggest packing 3/4'so full max.

After the first or second hot when the herb is drier significantly, I would dump them into your palm and powder grind and then straw suckered it back into the stem.

Honestly any grind should work if it's tamped down some, but only slightly.

You want to be able to look through the load towards a light and make sure you can't see specks of light.

I was experiencing inconsistent results when relying on heat feed back to tell me when the hit was ample.

As soon as I feel it start to get warm I let off the trigger and pull, the cool air feels counter intuitive to the mission, but it DOES work.

And since you know how to combust so well, note the time it takes to combust typically and work backwards. If you combust after 20 sec. Hits...stop at 13 and ride the residual heat.

Also have you tried different strains? Some aren't the most friendly to vape and require a limit push to produce

subway13029

beiber i have repeatable success with the method of packing my stem and insert into the mi..wirh my unit i hold button for 3 solid seconds and start with a really slow draw forabout 5 seconds and i will feel slight heat and reaistance and i release the button and ramp my draw speed up and hit it until i cant. i get most of my hit after i release the button from the residual heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom