Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounce5

Mine has white glue. There is something white along the walls of the wood around the top of heater screen. I'm pretty sure its glue - not sure. It would be in my airpath. Can anyone else confirm something like this?

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
Gosh, I wonder. Maybe because it isn't a problem noticed and therefore mentioned by a lot of people? Do you think that might be a factor? Maybe?

I personally have had no glue issues with either of my RBT products. So, of course, I have never mentioned glue issues. Duh.

Ok, if there is no perceived problem I can get your logic, that's fair enough.

But that people who do notice it are not discussing it more loudly is a bummer to me.

Especially since a few others have just recently piped up about their glue smell.

All my units are recent, and it certainly is possible this has been a recent problem.

Vapington

Ok, if there is no perceived problem I can get your logic, that's fair enough.

But that people who do notice it are not discussing it more loudly is a bummer to me.

Especially since a few others have just recently piped up about their glue smell.

the smell of mine isn't noticeable during normal use. I investigated further due to the recent discussion.

Have you had it for a while, or did it just recently ship?
received it within the week. mine has the recessed glass and intake screen like the newly shipping models

e: just heated mine for about 5 seconds and then feathered a bit without a stem in. had the lights off with a flashlight held to the unit and there was some sort of visible residue burning off. there were no crumbs in the joint.

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
I have an original production unit with the white glue

And my newer unit has clear glue and recessed glass.

Neither smell like glue.

When I had to reattach the bottom of my first unit, I used JB weld, that shit stunk for a couple days from the bottom of the unit, so I suspect my senses of taste and smell aren't completely dumb.

the smell of mine isn't noticeable during normal use. I investigated further due to the recent discussion.

received it within the week. mine has the recessed glass and intake screen like the newly shipping models

e: just heated mine for about 5 seconds and then feathered a bit without a stem in. had the lights off with a flashlight held to the unit and there was some sort of visible residue burning off. there were no crumbs in the joint.
Not doubting your methods, but crumbs can and do get trapped where the screen at the bottom of the female glass joint folds down to fit into the stem.

This is an area of visible trapped particles on my first unit.

A true test would be a new unit with no loads ran on a fresh batter and a 30+ second button press.

The heater should get hot enough to glow and push the limits of the glues properties.

Wish I had a spanking new one to test!

While I don't think the glue is an issue and if your looking for something all the evidence you collect will support your theories or you will disregard it...

Visible glue off gassing might be the push rbt needs to abandon the glue, which would be dope.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
3 units, no glue smell, and I've reglued bottom plate and epoxied glass F and removed 5X, trying to get heater to work right. No glue smell through all that. Just my experience.

AJS

Calm Consistency
7EVgHJc.jpg

bLzgItL.jpg

GuUE3cP.jpg

Milaana #2 arrived today! Mina on the left and Milah on the right. Looks much better with the exception of the off tinted bottom end, but I just see it as a unique tan line, haha. I'll probably end up staining it myself at some point with Milah as practice the first time.
Came with the green battery as you can see, it's charging and I'll try it tonight. My stem had a scratch (more than a scratch, like a non physical crack), but I'm not worried. I know I could send it back but it'll just go in storage as a backup. Putting some toilet paper in the battery case with the stem would probably stop these damages from happening? Unless it was during manufacturing...
Well, tried her out and she runs significantly hotter than Milah but not uncomfortable at all. It seems like it's definitely the heater and not the distance. It reaches really high temps just much much faster, and pulsing the throttle is a more instantaneous response. Very enjoyable and I look forward to being able to get huge hits on the go without any preheat at all. It feels like my unit is just always warmed up, even on the first hit. It's great.

Edit: @Vapington
Again, I said I possibly could have tasted it, I'm still not sure...there was nothing for me to "look past" really, it left my mind after the first day or so of use. It was never distinct enough for me to know if it was in my head or an actual taste. Had the unit for two months and it NEVER came back into my mind, I never thought about it again...so I assume it wasn't there. It's not like every time I used my Milaana I was like, ew what's this taste. It literally never came to mind, nothing triggered it, nothing. Two months later, before the arrival of my new one, I decided to inspect every part of my Milaana and realized that glue smell was something I remember mentioning, and figured would be a good comparison of what's changed between units. I let everyone know that the smell was almost gone and that I figured the "curing process" was almost finished. This sparked the thought that I remembered I questioned if I could taste it, figured it would be worth mentioning because it would get others to see if they could.

@Dramma Lamma
I'm pretty sure the glue has been discussed quite a bit. I'm not sure why people aren't recalling any glue discussion.
It was difficult to mention because I know that it is something to worry about, and once it came to mind (which it didn't for two moths of use, clearly wasn't apparent enough for me to notice) I mentioned it.

Last edited:
, it isn't in the airpath

Yeah, it is. In fact I'm fairly certain an epoxy is what seats the screen(s) in place.. That or magic, I've actually been meaning to ask everyone what they thought of that... At any rate the wiring and glue ect is not isolated from the air/vapor path. Granted there's no solder or kaptan tape or anything particularly janky looking in there I figured it should be known.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
It seems like it's definitely the heater and not the distance. It reaches really high temps just much much faster,

Really? As a butane vape user...you should know first hand that the loads distant from the heater plays a significant role in vapor production.

If the heater is turned up, then the heater plus the distance is the cause.

But to say it's definitely not the distance seems odd.

Measure the distance from the screen at the bottom of the female joint to the lip of the wood.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Really? As a butane vape user...you should know first hand that the loads distant from the heater plays a significant role in vapor production.

If the heater is turned up, then the heater plus the distance is the cause.

But to say it's definitely not the distance seems odd.

Measure the distance from the screen at the bottom of the female joint to the lip of the wood.
Idk man, it seems like just tons of heat coming through. Like the second I press the button it's a huge spike of heat on my throat. Whether there's herb in the chamber or not, the rapid growth in temperature is a faster growth than my other unit.
If I was measuring volume of vapor, I could argue that it's closer, but just feeling how quickly the temp rises, it just seems more powerful to me. Could just be my unit though compared to my other, but my other would rise in temp very slowly. So, I should say, compared to my other unit, the temp definitely rises faster, leading me to believe it is the heater being more powerful. Hope that clears up a distinction?

That's my bad for generalizing, should've been more specific that I was comparing to my other unit, which is what lead me to that belief. Not trying to discredit you or what you've found to be true through experience! sorry!

Edit:
Later today I will blow in the intake and feel the hot air come through the mouthpiece on my hand, and I'll see if there is a noticeable difference in temperatures.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah, it is. In fact I'm fairly certain an epoxy is what seats the screen(s) in place.. That or magic, I've actually been meaning to ask everyone what they thought of that... At any rate the wiring and glue ect is not isolated from the air/vapor path. Granted there's no solder or kaptan tape or anything particularly janky looking in there I figured it should be known.

Making the screen stay without epoxy was perfected in Zion betas, bc the earliest alphas were like that and testers immediately demanded it like @KeroZen so it should not, unless it was applied improperly in manufacturing, which is possible. As it is designed the glue is not supposed to be in a place where it can get hot enough to be an issue, it stays cool, otherwise its a defect imo

There is a chance that these smelly units needed more time to cure and shouldn't have been shipped out yet, i would honestly wait a few days or power through and see if it improves. I recall my newer one had a slight smell on the outside at first, but no taste and the smell went away in a few days as I used it while it finished curing, the fresh wood was could've even been part of what I smelled...

In any case the only thing I taste is pure herbs, now that I have some fresh ones of high quality the flavors shining through are unreal, so I do think there isnt really an issue when a unit is properly working. I'd suggest testing out the warranty form if you are concerned :2c:

Oh and I tried using some hemp fiber to vape some oil from cleaning my grinder (kief qwiso?) and it worked extremely well with tiny amount, not as good as fresh herbs ofcourse (Blue Diesel and Shark Shock so tasty in Cali) but pretty cool and I'm sure great with more, rather proper concentrates too :peace:

Last edited:

Oogendoogan

@AJS my Milaana looks exactly like your new one. Cool thank you for the pictures. I just mean with the glass heater level and stuff it's the same haha I wasn't able to tell before. I wonder with mine being a in the middle unit how hot it is compared to yours. I just held my button down in a kinda dim room and covered the Mi with a cupped hand, I could start to see glowing after 7 seconds. Maybe check your new one out and see how long it takes? Idk haha sounds like a little bit of evidence of how hot it is. Idk If I want mine any hotter lol.

Making the screen stay without epoxy was perfected in Zion betas, bc the earliest alphas were like that and testers immediately demanded it like @KeroZen so it should not, unless it was applied improperly in manufacturing, which is possible.

Mine was/is glued, had I realized it was of any importance I'd of snapped a picture of the female glass while removed. I do not believe there is a mechanical solution to the issue either save custom female glass fittings with a stop for the screen. Swaging them in there would surely fail under heat due to expansion and contraction, they aren't going to simply stay put in a slick glass tube with a consistent ID without a little help...

My unit also had a glue smell, but it dissipated pretty quickly.

murf2010

@WakeAndVape yeah full melt was phenomenal. Sour diesel always delivers for day time. Can honestly say jack herer and sour d are my top 2 sativas and I've had soo many being a patient. The classics never disappoint! 5-10 second preheat and a monster cloud out of the long stem

TheRobbo

Ok l...., what the fuck FC.

You've been vaping / huffing glue fumes for months while using the device and decided it wasn't worth mentioning.

Really?

Huffing glue must be a great bonus here, as I'm 100% certain you all are doing it to some degree or another. Perhaps you just have a poor sense of smell/taste, or are to scared to admit the design is poor and that the $$ was a bad spend

I know this because I have a handful of units and each one can smell glue in the glass. It's not just me I handed it to all 36 people I helped yesterday and asked them "is this made well?" "Do you smell anything inside the glass fitting?" It's sure as fuck not me when the majority of people also can smell it and point out manufacturer flaws.

I used the MI all day yesterday and was getting mysterious headaches (I only get a few a year, extremely rare for me)
It would slowly be getting better, then would be right back after a few draws from MI.

Ill admit what a lot of people here seem to be to chicken to say: "I got ripped off here, you all convinced me the issues I knew I would have were sorted out or a non-issue, that was wrong and I wasted $$ here."

I may get to doing what a lot of others here are already considering, taking it apart 100% and rebuilding it entirely myself.

It works, but nowhere near the "kill a whole stem in 1 draw" power people here advertise. Maybe it's just cuz I'm huffing glue and therefore can't take a big draw....
Not denying you experience but I have never read about anyone claiming they could kill a bowl in one hit. Some have asked if it could be done and some have said maybe if you only loaded enough to just cover the screen it might be possible!
Also mine does not have any smell/taste. Also the glue is in the cold air path, the GonG goes down into the wood and covers the heater so hot air only goes up the inside of the glass and inwards air should cool the glue as it passes...
I have never felt any bad effects using Milaana and dont feel mislead or that it was a bad purchase.

Shannock

Mine was/is glued, had I realized it was of any importance I'd of snapped a picture of the female glass while removed. I do not believe there is a mechanical solution to the issue either save custom female glass fittings with a stop for the screen. Swaging them in there would surely fail under heat due to expansion and contraction, they aren't going to simply stay put in a slick glass tube with a consistent ID without a little help...

My unit also had a glue smell, but it dissipated pretty quickly.

I happen to have my first run Milaana boxed up ready to send back for repair for detached heater glass and believe you're right - there's something holding those screens in place.

bounce5

There is a ring of solid white glue, I think it's glue, right above the heater screen. It may be the glue holding the heater screen in place or glue that dripped down from the glue holding the female glass. That would be in my airpath. Is that a defect???

Question, how do you protect the heater screen from getting bits of herb lodged in between the screen and the outer rim/ledge? I did one bowl and already have some stray pieces lodges in the edges.....can't get it out even with a brush or poker dental tool. Does anyone use a screen between the heater screen and the bowl?

bounce5,
Reactions: DocGonzo

AJS

Calm Consistency
There is a ring of solid white glue, I think it's glue, right above the heater screen. It may be the glue holding the heater screen in place or glue that dripped down from the glue holding the female glass. That would be in my airpath. Is that a defect???

Question, how do you protect the heater screen from getting bits of herb lodged in between the screen and the outer rim/ledge? I did one bowl and already have some stray pieces lodges in the edges.....can't get it out even with a brush or poker dental tool. Does anyone use a screen between the heater screen and the bowl?
You can avoid grinding as fine or you can tamp down a little more to ensure the herb stays in place.
Also, if you take your first hit upside down (inverted), the heat will make your herbs stick and hold all your herbs upright and very little should fall out. I give my Milaana a quick blow after a sesh and the particulates have been very minimal. They will form in the outer ring sometimes, but it's really nothing that'll end up being an interference. I'll try to get a picture of my first unit after 2 months of use to give you an idea of what the buildup may look like over your heater screen.

Edit:
@bounce5

Took a pic
bDC5v8O.jpg

The stain is from oil and could've come out, I just never bothered to clean it. As you can see, over the course of months, the crumbs don't really become an issue. It's hard to get a perfect picture but it's Somethin lol.

Last edited:

adam_baumm

The extreme q glass stirs tick fits right in stem perfect to tamp with.

Update. Glue smell gone day 2.

Just had a super tasty great session.
I like the stock shorty with the screen pushed a bit closer to heater than the way it comes set.

Will probably make a dome to put inside the planetvape.ca shorty.

Or I will first try a micro load by just layering the extreme q screen that is in the pv shorty. It may be good for tiny loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom