The Picture Thread

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
The Crazy Country Club - Bklyn, NYC. Also known as ...

20240112-160557.jpg
My parents used to talk about going to this place many years ago.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
My parents used to talk about going to this place many years ago.
The place was a trip ... we started going in the early 70s. Was the first comedy club ... cant begin to remember all the nutty nights we spent there 😎

Screenshot-20240113-170119-Chrome.jpg

Just remembered looking at the picture, the ash trays were old tuna fish cans 🤣

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
The place was a trip ... we started going in the early 70s. Was the first comedy club ... cant begin to remember all the nutty nights we spent there 😎

Screenshot-20240113-170119-Chrome.jpg

Just remembered looking at the picture, the ash trays were old tuna fish cans 🤣

My parents also said there were 2-way mirrors in the bathroom so people in the bar could look in.

ChooChooCharlie

Mystery surrounds the function of those ^^^ Roman dodecahedrons

They've found even fewer icosahedrons:

Roman-icosahedron-example.jpg

Here's my icosahedron by MC Escher, and we know its function at least. He was commissioned to design special gift tin candy boxes for a Dutch chocolate company's anniversary. Platonic solids melt in your mouth, not in your hands

MC-Escher-1963-tin-candy-box.jpg

Edit:
forgot to show inside. Some age related tin corrosion spots, but can say it's chocolate

MC-Escher-candy-box-opened.jpg

Last edited:

unsorted

decahedron.jpg

"So, what do we know?

Roman dodecahedrons — or more properly called Gallo-Roman dodecahedrons — are twelve-sided hollow objects, each side pentagonal in shape and almost always contain a hole. The outer edges generally feature rounded protrusions.

Most of the objects are made from bronze, but some are in stone and don’t have holes or knobs. The dodecahedrons are often fist-sized yet can vary in height from 4 to 11 cm (about 1.5 to 4.5 in). The size of the holes also varies, from 6 to 40 mm (0.2 to 1.5 in). Two opposing holes typically are of differing sizes."

https://roughlydaily.com/2021/07/10/in-a-world-of-diminishing-mystery-the-unknown-persists/

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
decahedron.jpg

"So, what do we know?

Roman dodecahedrons — or more properly called Gallo-Roman dodecahedrons — are twelve-sided hollow objects, each side pentagonal in shape and almost always contain a hole. The outer edges generally feature rounded protrusions.

Most of the objects are made from bronze, but some are in stone and don’t have holes or knobs. The dodecahedrons are often fist-sized yet can vary in height from 4 to 11 cm (about 1.5 to 4.5 in). The size of the holes also varies, from 6 to 40 mm (0.2 to 1.5 in). Two opposing holes typically are of differing sizes."

https://roughlydaily.com/2021/07/10/in-a-world-of-diminishing-mystery-the-unknown-persists/
My original photo was from here

In my research I found a subsection of people who believe they’re for knitting

rlaj9qj4bs6jti498pgt

Article Here

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
From APOD...
What's causing those unusual sky arcs? Ice crystals. While crossing a field of fresh snow near Füssen, Bavaria, Germany, earlier this month, the photographer noticed that he had entered an ice fog. For suspended water to freeze into an ice fog requires quite cold temperatures, and indeed the air temperature on this day was measured at well below zero. The ice fog reflected light from the Sun setting behind St. Coleman Church. The result was one of the greatest spectacles the photographer has ever seen. First, the spots in the featured picture are not background stars but suspended ice and snow. Next, two prominent ice halos are visible: the 22-degree halo and the 46-degree halo. Multiple arcs are also visible, including, from top to bottom, antisolar (subsun), circumzenithal, Parry, tangent, and parhelic (horizontal). Finally, the balloon shaped curve connecting the top arc to the Sun is the rarest of all: it is the heliac arc, created by reflection from the sides of hexagonally shaped ice crystals suspended in a horizontal orientation.

What are these two giant arches across the sky? Perhaps the more familiar one, on the left, is the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy. This grand disk of stars and nebulas here appears to encircle much of the southern sky. Visible below the stellar arch is the rusty-orange planet Mars and the extended Andromeda galaxy. But this night had more! For a few minutes during this cold arctic night, a second giant arch appeared encircling part of the northern sky: an aurora. Auroras are much closer than stars as they are composed of glowing air high in Earth's atmosphere. Visible outside the green auroral arch is the group of stars popularly known as the Big Dipper. The featured digital composite of 20 images was captured in mid-November 2022 over the Lofoten Islands in Norway.

Yes, but can your aurora do this? First, yes, auroras can look like rainbows even though they are completely different phenomena. Auroras are caused by Sun-created particles being channeled into Earth's atmosphere by Earth's magnetic field, and create colors by exciting atoms at different heights. Conversely, rainbows are created by sunlight backscattering off falling raindrops, and different colors are refracted by slightly different angles. Unfortunately, auroras can’t create waterfalls, but if you plan well and are lucky enough, you can photograph them together. The featured picture is composed of several images taken on the same night last November near the Skógafoss waterfall in Iceland. The planning centered on capturing the central band of our Milky Way galaxy over the picturesque cascade. By luck, a spectacular aurora soon appeared just below the curving arch of the Milky Way. Far in the background, the Pleiades star cluster and the Andromeda galaxy can be found.

Have you ever seen a dragon in the sky? Although real flying dragons don't exist, a huge dragon-shaped aurora developed in the sky over Iceland in 2019. The aurora was caused by a hole in the Sun's corona that expelled charged particles into a solar wind that followed a changing interplanetary magnetic field to Earth's magnetosphere. As some of those particles then struck Earth's atmosphere, they excited atoms which subsequently emitted light: aurora. This iconic display was so enthralling that the photographer's mother ran out to see it and was captured in the foreground. Our active Sun continues to show an unusually high number of prominences, filaments, sunspots, and large active regions as solar maximum approaches in 2025.

Marlon Rando

Replace that with a picture of Boeing management and you might be on to something. Every time this happens we find that the engineers were overruled. Not to mention that Boeing is on a long project of replacing engineering leadership with outside folks to "increase shareholder value".
The jokes write themselves grass.

florduh

The jokes write themselves grass.

I posted about this earlier here:

It was even funnier once I discovered Tony used to be a high paid consultant for Boeing.

However @Grass Yes was correct. Boeing isn't going to shit because their engineers are clowns or they're doing affirmative action. No. They're going to shit because their executives have bribed politicians to weaken safety regulations so they can save a nickel for the shareholders. I posted an article on the other thread if you're interested.

Top Bottom