The phlegm thread

stickstones

Vapor concierge
What's your experience with flegm when vaporizing?

When smoking, glass was preferable because it was cleaner and left me with less flegm the next morning than a plastic or metal pipe.

When I started vaping with my E, I quickly lost all flegm cough. Since using my PD, I have a little bit of flegm cough throughout the day. To be fair, since using the PD I have had a cold and some allergies, so I am not sure of the source completely, but I do think I am getting a little bit of it from the PD. I remembered reading one of AoZ's posts about getting some flegm after getting his PD, and he said it is gone now with the technique he uses. It probably has something to do with the short air path and the resulting temp of the air as it enters the lungs, because AoZ lets the vapor cool a little in his mouth before inhaling and has no problem.

Does glass or air path matter here? What flegm experience have you had with whatever model you are using? If you're using the PD and get nothing, is it just me or the method you use?

How about herbalaire users, since it has a short air path as well?

I thought of hooking up my PD to a bong to see how it is, or use a little tubing to lengthen the path. The PD is amazing and I want to use it to its fullest.

stickstones,

yiuneek

:2c::2c: :
I switched to vaping from large water pipes about two months ago after many years of lung abuse. I use an E and have found that my "smoker's cough" disappeared after a month of exclusive vaping. I also have not coughed up any gross dark flegm since i mae the switch.

Sorry I have very limited experience with other vaporizers.

One thing though, I have sensitive allergies to smoke and dust and pollen. Smoking often kickstarted my allergic reactions (sneeze attacks, really really red and irritated eyes, coughing, extreme congestion/stuffiness). Although I have seen significant decreases in my allergic reactions since switching to vaporizing, I still notice more frequent sneezing and increased congestion after vaping.

Overall, as I expected, my health has seen dramatic improvements since the switch.

yiuneek,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Hitting the PD straight does give me a bit a phlegm the next morning. I've always attributed this to the short vapor path cause I don't usually get it if I pass the vapor through water. In any event, it's not phlegm in the I smoked 10 J's last night way , just a little something in the back of the throat. Probably just because I'm a big fan of vaporbonging with ice and my lungs/throat aren't used to it as much as before.

I guess everyone's body is different. I'm sure age might play a factor in this as well as past history. I wish such a thing as the PD existed when I first started. You can't put a price on health and the older you get the more you realize that i think. The folly of youth and all that :lol:

Skunkypete,

max

Out to lunch
I've had no problem since I quit smoking and started vaping. None of the various vapes I've used has been an issue for me.

max,

Frickr

the only thing i have had cause that is i had a hole in the screen that i didnt notice, and while i was hitting it i must have been sucking up some particals. after i fixed it it cleared right up.

Frickr,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
The flegm thread (Yeech!) :lol:
IME, throat irritation from vaping is mostly caused by three things (heat, particles, and dryness). IMO, the best way to deal with throat irritation/phlegm is to reduce any/all of these factors (alternatives for this are too numerous to mention them all--possibly infinite).

I look foreword to whatever insight others have (as such insight could be very beneficial to those who regularly require/desire large doses of vaporized compounds).

Toke it easy :cool:

edit: I wanted to add one TIP that costs nothing. With the PD (or any whip vape, for that matter) do not clasp your lips tightly on the mouthpiece so you can draw some cool/clean air into your mouth while drawing vapor out of the tube (tighter lips=more concentrated/harsh vapor; looser lips=more diluted/smooth vapor).

Here is also a little limmerick to help ensure that yourt friends have an enjoyable vaping experience:
Hack, hack...
Phlegm, phlegm...
Maybe the vapor's too harsh for them... :lol:

Toke it easy! (and however you enjoy to do so :brow: )

Progress,

max

Out to lunch
stickstones said:
maybe I'm getting overzealous in how fine I grind the herb for the PD
I don't have any opinion on finely ground herb as far as phlegm goes, but due to the winter air my herb lately has been very dry and I end up with PD loads that are almost powder. I get a lot of hits, but it pulls harder and provides more 'bad taste hits' than I'm used to. I find myself loading looser bowls to compensate.

OK, back to phlegm....yuck :ugh:

max,

VaporKing

i filter my pd hits through a bong and i dont seem to get any phlegm. i have only been smoking/vaping for a total of 2 1/2 years. if what Progress suggests causes irritation (heat, particles, and dryness) is true then wouldnt the bong take care of all three? i also find this helps with the resistance when i hit the PD.

VaporKing,

bsandhu

no phlegm for me since i made the switch until i had to switch back for 2 weeks

bsandhu,

Beezleb

Sometimes I do but its not black and nasty as back in the day. Sorta rare, maybe once or twice a week if that.

Beezleb,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I've got a pretty sensitive throat and lungs, so breathing anything apart from clean air is likely to cause some kind of irritation. When I was a smoker I used to cough up all kinds of horrible shit. As far as my limited experience with vapour goes, I find the bags from my Herbalaire easiest on my lungs, but after a big session I'll feel some congestion. It doesn't seem to last beyond the following day. I've tried the direct inhalation method with the Herbalaire and it is way too hot for me. Herbalaire sent me their new "whip" attachment, and although the vapour is cooler, the tight draw made it an unsatisfying experience. Using the PD requires some care. I need to take small breaths of vapour and/or breathe in a lot of air at the same time to avoid irritation. If I take even one hit which is just a bit larger than normal then I will experience congestion and some coughing throughout the next day. It seems pretty obvious to me that the throat/lungs are not designed for exposure to hot gases and I feel that there is potential for long term damage, although not as bad as smoke.

hazy,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Haven't even had a cold since I started vaporizing. So I will just assume assume the PD prevents/cures colds. :D

If the PD's short vapor path is bothering your respiratory system, try the taking-a-(slow)-drag-on-a-joint technique instead of big, straight-to-your-lung inhales. Just a second or two in your mouth before you inhale really cools it down, as well as giving any particles a chance to stick to the inside of your mouth. And of course you can do the cool trick where you open your mouth and let the vapor expand out before sucking it back in. A little liquid in your mouth for the vapor to pass over (or through if you're really adventurous) makes it even smoother.

Gross thread, sticks. :lol:

One of my friends (actually 2, both chain smokers) always has a beer bottle in his room filled with the nastiest brown+yellow+green+black+red phlegm you can imagine. Both of them have taken a sip, and knocked it over by accident. :)

vtac,

extremechick

I noticed immediately when I started vaping that my cough was completely. It probably didn't take but a day or two; I was a heavy smoker.

extremechick,

bsandhu

when i smoke a big blunt or alot of joints or big bong bowls and go backto thevape i can feel my lungs hurt its not fun.

bsandhu,

Phaang

Fog Huffer
I used to have daily, chronic throat-clearing "harumpph" moments. Since I went to vaping I only have a couple of throat clears in the morning, and that's it. And that's only after a HUGE binge of vapor inhalation.

Phaang,
Top Bottom