Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

Caligula

Maximus
I typically get oil leaking into the lower heater chamber from either overloading or overheating (or both).

Unless you are using something SUPER thin like Pure Gold, it shouldn't leak otherwise.

The overloading part is easy to overcome. The overheating could be for a few reasons though.

Typically I overheat the oil/coil by either standing on the power button for too long of a time, and/or if I dont do proper cool down hits before stopping use.

I am very anal about cool down hits now because of this. Its kind of a PITA but I make it a habit to pull cool air through the Hercules for 30 seconds or up to a full minute or more depending on how hot I got the unit.

As for your rod connection issue, you should always check the Hercules for proper resistance with a DMM before use. That way you can pin down improper assembly before you even start.

I dont have an SR74 so ill have to defer to @THC SCIENTIFIC about what ohm it should read.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ah, see... more information I need! So, after I hit it I should hit it again with no power to cool off the oil? I didn't know that. Where do I get that meter? I'm going to buy another coil, more batteries and a meter tomorrow :)

Tstat,
Reactions: ataxian

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So another night playing with the Hercules! So, yesterday I was saying how my batteries kept dying really fast, well I was wrong. What's happening is that for some reason the Herc loses contact and doesn't heat. If I unscrew it a little and then tighten it, it's fine. Last night it lasted ALL night until I passed out and was still hitting this morning!

So, is this "normal"? Or maybe it's the way the Herc was assembled? Maybe it needs an ISO soak already?

Speaking of that, do you also soak the coil when cleaning the unit?

EDIT: So, after typing this I couldn't get it to heat up again. I took it apart and there was oil that got down into the second chamber. I guess that was causing the spring-loaded pin to get gunked up and not make a connection. I guess I need another coil in there!

I'm soaking it in ISO now- everything except the tank/coil since it still has a bunch of nice oil in it.
Yeah ive had that happen a few times, but it was with my SR71. I unscrew it and tighten it back up and sometimes it fixes it other times it doesnt. I dont believe my issue is the rod placement though because if i adjust the bottom adapter with the two red o rings slightly it fixes it for a long time. Not a fix for the SR74 unfortunately though.

As for oil in the bottom chamber, if you hit it for 15-20 seconds at the end with no power and store the hercules on its side you shouldnt experience any leaking. If your using wax or shatter youll probably be upset by the results of adding a second coil. Itll take to long to heat and you wont get as big of hits. Plus if you dont cool down and store on its side itll keep leaking even with a second coil.

I usually cool it down and then immediately unscrew the herc and place on its side. Havent had a leak since

Ah, see... more information I need! So, after I hit it I should hit it again with no power to cool off the oil? I didn't know that. Where do I get that meter? I'm going to buy another coil, more batteries and a meter tomorrow :)
You can do it that way, but i usually just realease the button before the end of my hit and then keep hitting it for 10-20 seconds. Also its IMPORTANT to not store the hercules upright. You want it on its side when not in use

Mynameismud,

jeffzorz

I got my Nibbler XL the other day and at first it was frustrating the hell out of me. I would hit the Herc without the NXL and get milky clouds, then I'd slip the NXL on and get whispy weak clouds! It was like a magic trick that made clouds disappear. Eventually I realized what was happening. The orange O-rings that came with the NXL are actually not all the same thickness. The diameter was the same but the gauge of the rubber was a little thinner on one. I had put this thinner o-ring on the mouthpiece and it wasn't sealing to the NXL. Once I swapped the o-ring for a thicker one it solved everything! I just figured I'd share in case anyone else had a similar issue. Now to Lowe's to look for extra o-rings.

As for some of you guys having issues with the rod pushing in, I eventually started using a tiny pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the retaining collar to avoid this problem. My fingers are too fat to tighten it by hand. It solved this issue for me.
when I used pliers it did stay in place but I wasnt sure if it's designed to be that tight and it was frustrating to not be able to take it apart by hand.

jeffzorz,

ED421

when I used pliers it did stay in place but I wasnt sure if it's designed to be that tight and it was frustrating to not be able to take it apart by hand.

Yeah, it made me a little nervous to use tools but it was the only thing that worked. The needle nose pliers I use are very small, like half the size of a normal pair. I think there for jewelry making or something but they work well. Plus, no matter how much you cool down eventually a little oil will drip down and make that nut really hard to grab by hand.

ED421,
Reactions: jeffzorz

jeffzorz

yeah for the herc that's my only issue, I'd have to adjust the sticky rod and than I'd forget and end up with a sticky button lol!

jeffzorz,

Caligula

Maximus

Correct. But let me clarify a bit.

The Hercules has a lot of mass to absorb thermal energy. Once its warmed up (warm to the touch even through the outer PTFE shell), it only take a little bit of power now and again to maintain that plateau. What this means, though, is that the unit will still produce vapor even after you let off the power button. Because of this, you need to do as @Mynameismud said, and continue to hit the Hercules after you let go of the button. I usually save about 5-10 seconds worth of inhale lung capacity for this.

After the exhale, and whenever you are done with your session you will want to do those "dry" cool-down hits before setting the unit down for the night (or however long). Also, once the unit is cool it is best to store it on its side.

Yeah, it made me a little nervous to use tools but it was the only thing that worked. The needle nose pliers I use are very small, like half the size of a normal pair. I think there for jewelry making or something but they work well. Plus, no matter how much you cool down eventually a little oil will drip down and make that nut really hard to grab by hand.

Just wrap a cloth or your shirt around the nut then tighten with pliers. No worries and better grip.

Last edited:

Vapvap

Since we understood that we have to inhale one time and let cool the SR74 for 30s/1mn, we never had oil in the down chamber :)
And we never had the outer PTFE shell hot, it's always cold :):tup:

Hey Gary, my brother asks me: have you received black rod 3.7V for the amazing SR74 ?

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Awesome, man. Thank you! I love this thing and how much I've learned so far. Before last week, I had no clue about this type of vaporizer.

Here is part 2 of the Lemon Skunk Honey Oil harvest:

1779354_1403431986584137_490559820_n.jpg

This one was 3 grams. The one the other day was 2 grams. So 5 grams from maybe 1/2 of popcorn, not too shabby. The shit is just so covered in trichs that I knew it would make some nice product. Tomorrow I'll run it a second time and then chuck it.

I am certainly going to clear my Herc after I let up on the button, lay it down when not in use, and pull cool air through it after a session. Anything else I should know? Coil maintenance, maybe?

Caligula

Maximus
Nah, I let the coil sit in there basically forever. I think I changed it twice since owning the unit... and I got one of the very first SR71s. Just dont run dirty shit in there and use a separate coil for stuff that has plant matter in it (full melt hash, keif, ice wax, etc) because the mesh will trap contaminants.

Oh and as you now know, only try taking the coils out when they are warmed up already.

Caligula,
Reactions: Tstat

halibutt

Last week I ordered a new 7.4v TI KISS cart to give them a try. When it arrived, I screwed it on and the blue light came on, but the coil didn't glow or heat. I tried a few things I read on this site, nothing worked, so I submitted a ticket with W9. They were great, the replacement arrived very quickly, and I screwed it on yesterday to try it out. It worked perfectly yesterday and this morning. I loaded it up not too long ago and I'm back to it not working again.

When I loaded it both times I was very careful not to touch the coil, in fact the oil was able to just drip onto it slowly. Am I doing something wrong? I hate to submit another ticket with W9 if I'm somehow burning them up. I can't even say I abused them since I barely even touched either of the two. I guess what I'm worried about is that there may be something wrong with my top and I don't want to keep buying attachments until I know what's going on. BTW, the two 5ohm carts that came with my Persei work fine. Sorry to ramble, I'm high as a kite.

halibutt,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Last week I ordered a new 7.4v TI KISS cart to give them a try. When it arrived, I screwed it on and the blue light came on, but the coil didn't glow or heat. I tried a few things I read on this site, nothing worked, so I submitted a ticket with W9. They were great, the replacement arrived very quickly, and I screwed it on yesterday to try it out. It worked perfectly yesterday and this morning. I loaded it up not too long ago and I'm back to it not working again.

When I loaded it both times I was very careful not to touch the coil, in fact the oil was able to just drip onto it slowly. Am I doing something wrong? I hate to submit another ticket with W9 if I'm somehow burning them up. I can't even say I abused them since I barely even touched either of the two. I guess what I'm worried about is that there may be something wrong with my top and I don't want to keep buying attachments until I know what's going on. BTW, the two 5ohm carts that came with my Persei work fine. Sorry to ramble, I'm high as a kite.

In my experience, and I've only had 2 kiss carts, is that hitting the button too long will kill the cart pretty quickly. If your top works with other carts, I doubt that's the issue. I think w9 now recommends not heating the coil to glowing orange.

syrupy,

halibutt

That's my understanding of how it works too; however, I thought the TI was better in this reguard. Besides, I'm only pressing the button for about 2-3 secs to see if there is any glow.

halibutt,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
That's my understanding of how it works too; however, I thought the TI was better in this reguard. Besides, I'm only pressing the button for about 2-3 secs to see if there is any glow.

Not sure if it matters, but 2-3 seconds seems a bit long, if you're making sure the coil heats. Since it's not clear what the issue is, I'd contact w9 support. I know in the past they've done skype sessions with customers, which is the only real way to eliminate user error from the equation.

syrupy,
Reactions: halibutt

Caligula

Maximus

Maybe try a 3.7v if you are offered another replacement. Ive had great luck with my 3.7s...

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Correct. But let me clarify a bit.

The Hercules has a lot of mass to absorb thermal energy. Once its warmed up (warm to the touch even through the outer PTFE shell), it only take a little bit of power now and again to maintain that plateau. What this means, though, is that the unit will still produce vapor even after you let off the power button..

When I first hooked up the herc to a water tool, and could see the vapor path, I was surprised to find how true this is. Once the herc reached operating temps, I can hit it with vapor production for a good 10-20 seconds without applying any power. After the vapor becomes wispy, then I do the cool-down hit. Since doing the cooldown hit regularly, leakage into the bottom chamber has been minimal, and problems with the rod connection due to being saturated with oil have disappeared.

syrupy,
Reactions: Caligula

jeffzorz

my take on the 7.4 is they simply get too hot and the components can't handle it. I've gone through 3 7.4s since they've been released. I had one that I used in my provari mini and it lasted the longest as a matter of fact it didnt break untill I plugged it into the persei. My take on this is that I was running the provari at 6 volts and I could hold down the button for about 10 seconds untill it started glowing but with the persei it was glowing in 3 seconds. I got 1 3.7 which I gave away to my buddy and he's a total noob but its been working great since November. The 7.4 def hits harder though.

jeffzorz,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Maybe try a 3.7v if you are offered another replacement. Ive had great luck with my 3.7s...
My SR74 is all clean like new.
The problem with FULL MELT is plan on sacrificing a coil! Maybe it's just me? I have some really blonde honey comb wax to load.

I'm torn between going "OLD SCHOOL" 2.4 cart or "NEW SCHOOL" HERCULES SR74?

So I just vape flowers until I decide what to do!

What would you do?

ataxian,
Reactions: masaki

jeffzorz

herc sir, I haven't touched flowers since I got it. Cant wait to finish my run so I can turn it into shatter/comb. Have 6kw of cherry pie, the white, alien og and 3x crazy going right now that I'm going to turn into comb once it's done. My question is what do y'all think about nug runs vs trim runs? I see clubs asking 60 a g for nug run honey comb which is ridiculous. ive ran trim that's had water leaves removed and you can't tell a bit of difference. there seems to be so much wrong information floating around it would be nice to clear some things up

jeffzorz,
Reactions: Caligula

Caligula

Maximus
I call shenanigans on not being able to tell the difference. Did you have your trim run BHO tested? Typically you'll find that the % of actives in nug run concentrates are by far higher than basted trim.

Taste is subjective. Numbers are not.

Also, while I find the average cost for everything at MMJ dispensaries to be too high, given the retail cost of top shelf colas, asking $60/g isnt really very outrageous. I mean they could technically turn that bud around and sell it for $20/g.

Edit: I hope that didnt come off the wrong way. Im merely trying to present an alternative POV.

Caligula,

masaki

The problem with FULL MELT is plan on sacrificing a coil! Maybe it's just me? I have some really blonde honey comb wax to load.

What would you do?
SR74!!!! :smug:

masaki,
Reactions: Darb

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I call shenanigans on not being able to tell the difference. Did you have your trim run BHO tested? Typically you'll find that the % of actives in nug run concentrates are by far higher than basted trim.

Taste is subjective. Numbers are not.

Also, while I find the average cost for everything at MMJ dispensaries to be too high, given the retail cost of top shelf colas, asking $60/g isnt really very outrageous. I mean they could technically turn that bud around and sell it for $20/g.

Edit: I hope that didnt come off the wrong way. Im merely trying to present an alternative POV.

Did you mean 60 per eighth instead of gram? I can't imagine a $200 eighth!

What would you do?

Why make a difficult choice such as this? I say use the old school as a warmup, and the Herc as a main dish. Maybe a Bender for dessert?

syrupy,

Caligula

Maximus
Did you mean 60 per eighth instead of gram? I can't imagine a $200 eighth!

Why make a difficult choice such as this? I say use the old school as a warmup, and the Herc as a main dish. Maybe a Bender for dessert?

No. $60/g for top shelf nug run concentrate. Typically there is a bulk discount if you are going to buy 3.5g of that (at most places i go to anyway).

Top Bottom