Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Yeah the 3/8" inner diameter fits the sr71 ss cylinder nice and snug so the persei is able to hang but it's too wide for the utube so I slid about an inch of 3/8" od 1/4" id into an inch and a half of the larger tubing to make 1 piece of tubing that is an inch and a half long with 2 different inner diameters but the same outter diameter.

Is that hi-temp silicon? I ask because hooking up tubing directly to the the herc cylinder..well, mine gets really hot after use. It could be me being overly cautious.

syrupy,

Volkerball

I've got a pretty technical question here, so hopefully someone with some experience can help me clarify this stuff and not blow my hands off. I recently ordered a MFLB to get into the vaping world, and I see the potential, so I'm trying to upgrade to something more permanent. I've also got a VAMO vw/vv mod running on stacked 18350's that I've been using as an ecig for the past couple years. I've always wanted to have any easy way to switch from e-liquid to dry herb using the same mod, but I'd never found anything. The SR-71/74 are the first I've seen that look like a plausible option. First heard of it a few days ago. I run my VAMO on stacked 18350's, but it is regulated. Its max settings are 6 volts, or 15 watts, depending on which mode you are using. Comparing that to the Herc when used on the Persei:

SWW8oQa.jpg

The white rod SR-71 naturally runs at just shy of 40 watts at 7.4 volts. Really anywhere from 8.3 to 6.6 volts depending on battery life if the Persei's regulation is just based on what batteries you're using. If I run it on the VAMO at 6v, I would have an output of 26 watts. If I ran the SR-74 at 6 volts, I would get 17 watts of output to the Persei's 26. According to the site, 3.7 volts gets the white rod "warm," and that's with an output of less than 10 watts. I think with a 510/M601 adapter, running the VAMO in vv mode at 6 volts, both the 74 and the 71 would work efficiently enough to be worth buying. Any flaws in my logic here? If this doesn't work, I'd rather order a plug-in unit for home use if I'm gonna spend $300, and just combust on the go, so ordering the Persei isn't an option. Also, which do you think would provide more vapor at 6v based on the ohms difference? The 74 or 71?

Note: Specifically referring to use with dry herb here. I can't get a hold of BHO or anything.

Last edited:
Volkerball,

exile1975

Actually the vamo v3 and v5 can do over the 15 watt rated output because it is capable of 5 amps. It really depends on the resistance of the attachment you're using what the limit is. Look up a review on the vamo by pbusardo for clarification, but at 6 volts with a 1.2 ohm coil the vamo can push 30 watts. All that aside i don't actually think the vamo could run either of them well at around 2/3 their needed power. Each hit with the vamo would be like a hit from a mostly dead battery on the persei. Let us know tho. If it works i just might get one as well.

I've got a pretty technical question here, so hopefully someone with some experience can help me clarify this stuff and not blow my hands off. I recently ordered a MFLB to get into the vaping world, and I see the potential, so I'm trying to upgrade to something more permanent. I've also got a VAMO vw/vv mod running on stacked 18350's that I've been using as an ecig for the past couple years. I've always wanted to have any easy way to switch from e-liquid to dry herb using the same mod, but I'd never found anything. The SR-71/74 are the first I've seen that look like a plausible option. First heard of it a few days ago. I run my VAMO on stacked 18350's, but it is regulated. Its max settings are 6 volts, or 15 watts, depending on which mode you are using. Comparing that to the Herc when used on the Persei:

SWW8oQa.jpg

The white rod SR-71 naturally runs at just shy of 40 watts at 7.4 volts. Really anywhere from 8.3 to 6.6 volts depending on battery life if the Persei's regulation is just based on what batteries you're using. If I run it on the VAMO at 6v, I would have an output of 26 watts. If I ran the SR-74 at 6 volts, I would get 17 watts of output to the Persei's 26. According to the site, 3.7 volts gets the white rod "warm," and that's with an output of less than 10 watts. I think with a 510/M601 adapter, running the VAMO in vv mode at 6 volts, both the 74 and the 71 would work efficiently enough to be worth buying. Any flaws in my logic here? If this doesn't work, I'd rather order a plug-in unit for home use if I'm gonna spend $300, and just combust on the go, so ordering the Persei isn't an option. Also, which do you think would provide more vapor at 6v based on the ohms difference? The 74 or 71?

Note: Specifically referring to use with dry herb here. I can't get a hold of BHO or anything.

Last edited:
exile1975,

Volkerball

Actually the vamo v3 and v5 can do over the 15 watt rated output because it is capable of 5 amps. It really depends on the resistance of the attachment you're using what the limit is. Look up a review on the vamo by pbusardo for clarification, but at 6 volts with a 1.2 ohm coil the vamo can push 30 watts. All that aside i don't actually think the vamo could run either of them well at around 2/3 their needed power. Each hit with the vamo would be like a hit from a mostly dead battery on the persei. Let us know tho. If it works i just might get one as well.

I took that into account with my post. 15 watts would be the max in vw mode, which is why it'd have to be run at 6v in vv mode. The thing is, it seems as though the SR's don't seem dependent on strength of output to an extent. It looks like people hold the button down and take a few light rips and gradually heat it up into a sweet spot temperature, where they get the most vapor, and try to maintain it in that area right below combustion, and then take the hits that really work. With that in mind, I don't know that working at 6v would mean it wasn't capable of performing at the same high level, so much as not being able to get into that sweet spot as quickly or efficiently. In that case, it just depends on how much of a pain in the ass it is to actually get it hot and cooking enough to get high. Surely can't be harder than the MFLB. Admittedly never used the SR-71, though. Just relying on youtube tips and reviews. Might take a stab at it, but I'm holding out hope to hear if someone's experimented with an adapter and a traditional e-cig mod before I buy.

Last edited:
Volkerball,

Hedonismbot

The blue rod was initially for vaping herb and runs about 12 watts so running at about that power level with an SR-71 white rod would get you the same experience. That being said, I don't recall anyone here having much luck vaping herb in the Hercules. Plus, W9 doesn't even offer the blue rod any more.

IMO, if your interested in vaping herb only I would suggest a Solo. For a little more money than the Hercules cartridge itself you get a proven temperature regulated portable herb vape. I know every manufacturer likes to claim their vape does both herb and oils but IME you're better off with dedicated devices. And the Hercules is primarily an oil vape.

Anyway, this gives me an opportunity to post my updated power chart:

KOXeOIq.jpg

I added a column for Amps and I changed the SR71 white rod resistance to 1.5 ohms (from 1.4).

Also, I put my spreadsheet in Google Docs and turned the sharing on. So here is the spreadsheet itself:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Art-uGD2SfJEdGN2TkxrQkNQUldwTElUdi0xNXZqMFE&usp=sharing

I've never used Google Docs before so I don't know how this will work. Does this sharing mean that anyone can go in and trash the spreadsheet?

Finally, Happy New Year everyone!

Hedo

Hedonismbot,
Reactions: Caligula

Volkerball

Well that was anti-climactic! Haha. Thanks for the help. I might snag up a solo, but I'm also moving to Denver in a few months (not just because weed is legal), so maybe I'll just deal with something more temporary until then. Might be more interested in something for dabs then.

Volkerball,
Reactions: Caligula

ED421

Got my new KISS cart running and I love this thing! I can tell I'll be using it a lot so I'm already thinking about how to clean and maintain it. I know I've seen some things on this thread related to that but I haven't been able to find them again. Any advice or instructions from the group would be greatly appreciated! Or a page number for the relevant part of this thread if you don't feel like repeating things.

Caligula

Maximus
Do you own an SR-71?

Well that was anti-climactic! Haha. Thanks for the help. I might snag up a solo, but I'm also moving to Denver in a few months (not just because weed is legal), so maybe I'll just deal with something more temporary until then. Might be more interested in something for dabs then.

Clearance sale on Omicron V2 @ $49.99 + $20 for a KISS cart = should be good to go for dabs.

Darb

I gotta ask what makes the kiss cart the best? Just want to understand other then simplistic use.
Simplicity. I had no trouble with assembly either. I have an Iris and every time I reassembled I was within specs. I did have some leaking issues. (Into the bottom section)
I like that the Kiss cart on a SS Persei can fit in my pocket. SR-71 isn't very pocket friendly.
I can get a quicker hit with the Kiss cart.
I like being able to see what I have loaded.
I haven't used another portable vape since getting my kiss carts.
Are the new version up for preorder yet?

exit

Well i brought nothing but my SR71, couple containers of "the errl", and four (labeled in pairs as all stacked batteries should be) Sony 18650VTC4's (yes the flat top ones) on a new years trip

Two days of very heavy use, passing around with friends, and no problems yet!!!!! Except that my Herc is on TURBO MODE!!!

For pocket friendly I use a KISS with a single 18350 sized SS tube.
Howevre I can always fit a fully asesmbled HERC SR71 in most of my jacket pockets and I am not very tall dont have man pockets either...

Last edited:
Top Bottom