Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

OF

Just wait all i ask is give me time to properly test this new discovery out. Ill let you know why the other ego power plants cant run a Ti Grade 2 and only can run a Grade 5.

In fact lets ask a manufacturer who runs a Ti coil what grade it is. Im sure its a harmless question right?

Absolutely, by all means test away. Good topic, IMO. At least as long as there's a question open.

The grade 2 but not 5 thing interests me too, I never tried making a heater out of 5 but we used 'boats' of Ti, Moly and other fun stuff in a vacuum evaporator I used to run on occasion. The Ti boats were light and stamped and no doubt grade 1-4. Much bigger powers of course.

I agree, it's a fair question to ask. They don't have to answer but I sure don't see a point to that. Put it in any handy EDX equipped SEM and sniff those X-rays. Can't fool them. Good to an atomic percent or so, plenty good to find the extra elements. Which is why I don't understand the TV heater coming back Nichrome....but we've beat that up I think.

My money's still on grade 1-4, alloys cost too much if you don't need them?

I wonder what grade the VB Dabbler or Dr Dabber Ti coils are? Since all those type companies are all claiming Titanium now, shouldn't we make them disclose also? (or face the wrath of G) Only seems fair.

I won't get into what's fair, or if they're obligated to tell us anything but VB is on record as saying it's Inconel.....kind of a wizzbang Nickle alloy used early on in jet turbines and such. SS alloys took over, now Ti alloys do that sort of thing for the most part. It was also used as a substitute for stainless steels (still is in some cases) since it doesn't react and takes high temperatures well. Not sure what Dr. Dabber is all about.

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
I wonder what grade the VB Dabbler or Dr Dabber Ti coils are? Since all those type companies are all claiming Titanium now, shouldn't we make them disclose also? (or face the wrath of G) Only seems fair.

Well all companies should disclose their materials used i think thats fair to say. I think since we get the most of the questions lets all be fair and ask everyone.

Absolutely, by all means test away. Good topic, IMO. At least as long as there's a question open.

The grade 2 but not 5 thing interests me too, I never tried making a heater out of 5 but we used 'boats' of Ti, Moly and other fun stuff in a vacuum evaporator I used to run on occasion. The Ti boats were light and stamped and no doubt grade 1-4. Much bigger powers of course.

I agree, it's a fair question to ask. They don't have to answer but I sure don't see a point to that. Put it in any handy EDX equipped SEM and sniff those X-rays. Can't fool them. Good to an atomic percent or so, plenty good to find the extra elements. Which is why I don't understand the TV heater coming back Nichrome....but we've beat that up I think.

My money's still on grade 1-4, alloys cost too much if you don't need them?

I won't get into what's fair, or if they're obligated to tell us anything but VB is on record as saying it's Inconel.....kind of a wizzbang Nickle alloy used early on in jet turbines and such. SS alloys took over, now Ti alloys do that sort of thing for the most part. It was also used as a substitute for stainless steels (still is in some cases) since it doesn't react and takes high temperatures well. Not sure what Dr. Dabber is all about.

OF

Inconel is also nichrome based only the percentages are off and iron is increased from less then 1% to 6-10% depending on the type. Inconel itself is a brand like teflon.

As for others using Ti im willing to bet and ill eat my words that anyone using Ti on a ego battery is a grade 5 which has elements not needed in this industry.

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
@OF I fully understand your POV. Yes the MFG should be held to a higher standard and not dish others. That is a negative. Instead make it a positive. What is special about your product... I do think that is G's intentions (where boy scouts sleep)

I think there are some misleading facts or opinions being presented as facts. I spend awhile looking into this subject myself and found little facts to help me decide. I mean scientific data. So I took the safest road...

OF

I think there are some misleading facts or opinions being presented as facts. I spend awhile looking into this subject myself and found little facts to help me decide. I mean scientific data. So I took the safest road...

Amen on that one Brother! It runs to the level of doctrine sometimes I think? One might say 'dogma' sometimes? I looked into this topic a fair bit a while back when I first learned of the concerns with grade 5 Ti nails. Lots of 'our nails don't use cheap, dangerous reject medical parts' but very little on the risks in a scientific way. Vanadium pentoxide (V2O5) is a serious deal if you eat it. But it takes extreme temperatures to make it (like welding hot), an oxidizing environment (running the torch too lean) and with lesser heat it quickly reverts back to 'lower orders' of oxides and back to metal again eventually. That is I don't think we have enough heat to make it, and if we did, lower heat would decompose it anyway?

Torching it glowing hot could well be different, probably is?

Safety is a tough call, guys need reliable information to base judgements on, sadly hard data isn't easy to find. "Keeping it real" is not easy for sure.....but where's the fun in that?

Thanks very much, IMO an excellent summary of the state of things.

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Amen on that one Brother! It runs to the level of doctrine sometimes I think? One might say 'dogma' sometimes? I looked into this topic a fair bit a while back when I first learned of the concerns with grade 5 Ti nails. Lots of 'our nails don't use cheap, dangerous reject medical parts' but very little on the risks in a scientific way. Vanadium pentoxide (V2O5) is a serious deal if you eat it. But it takes extreme temperatures to make it (like welding hot), an oxidizing environment (running the torch too lean) and with lesser heat it quickly reverts back to 'lower orders' of oxides and back to metal again eventually. That is I don't think we have enough heat to make it, and if we did, lower heat would decompose it anyway?

Torching it glowing hot could well be different, probably is?

Safety is a tough call, guys need reliable information to base judgements on, sadly hard data isn't easy to find. "Keeping it real" is not easy for sure.....but where's the fun in that?

Thanks very much, IMO an excellent summary of the state of things.

OF

I understand what your saying but please understand what we are saying. Once again we don't have any scientific evidence that says vanadium is safe in these application. What we did was take that uncertainty out of the equation. The reason we did it was to provide a pure heating wire.

We are in this industry to innovate and give people a cleaner alternative.

In other words every engineer will choose grade two in this application over grade five if they can but they can't because of limitations of the units.

That is why you see a FDA approved ceramic unit in the market. Idea is purity and anything else is not safe.

Last edited:

Sleepin in CA

Higher than a Pterodactyl, you can call me Caveman
Accessory Maker
@THC SCIENTIFIC I tried out my 3.7v ceramic rod tonight, and I was massively underwhelmed. My 7.4v rod rocks my face off with huge clouds. However, try as I might, I could only get thin puffs from my 3.7v. Is this the norm? My buffer plate is the same settings as it is for 7.4v. Sorry no multimeter. I also tried without the buffer plate, with just the cart and mouthpiece assembly from the sr71, same deal. Battery is fully charged also.

Sleepin in CA,
Reactions: ataxian

OF

Once again we don't have any scientific evidence that says vanadium is safe in these application.

In other words every engineer will choose grade two in this application over grade five if they can but they can't because of limitations of the units.

That is why you see a FDA approved ceramic unit in the market. Idea is purity and anything else is not safe.

Cool, I think I get it, I just see it as you need evidence that it is a problem if you're going to claim competitors are putting folks at risk by using it. Or even infer it. Thin ice, that.

I still have no idea what you mean by "they can't because of limitations of the units" but hopefully you'll get around to explaining what that is in due time. As of now I'm of the opinion that two Ohms is two Ohms no matter what the material is. The electrons don't care, really, they've no idea how many protons are in each atom as they hop merrily from one to the next.

The last statement catches my interest, I was under the impression there was no FDA approved vapes out there???? Where do I go to see this wonder? TIA

OF

Hedonismbot

@THC SCIENTIFIC I tried out my 3.7v ceramic rod tonight, and I was massively underwhelmed. My 7.4v rod rocks my face off with huge clouds. However, try as I might, I could only get thin puffs from my 3.7v. Is this the norm? My buffer plate is the same settings as it is for 7.4v. Sorry no multimeter. I also tried without the buffer plate, with just the cart and mouthpiece assembly from the sr71, same deal. Battery is fully charged also.

I assume you mean the black rod (and not the discontinued blue rod). I too was underwhelmed with the black rod running on a single AW IMR battery. I wrote about my experience here. The black rod (by design) supplies half the power of the white rod and this just doesn't work very well for stable waxes IMO. It's a shame too because I was hoping to use the black rod in a super stealth configuration. I'm pretty sure it would work much better with less viscous extracts like CO2 oils or ejuice although I haven't tried those with a black heating rod.

Since a lot of people will be getting a Core VV power supply very soon, if you want to try the power level of the black rod with a white rod setup set the voltage to 5.1v to 5.7v on the Core (or Iris) and see if that works for you. In my experiments with the white rod on an Iris the optimum voltage level for me using CO2 oil was around 6v and the optimum for very stable waxes and shatters was about 7v. More stable, hard to melt, extracts need more power to keep the oil/vapor engine running in the Herc. You can throttle the power by feathering the power button, of course, the VV supply just makes it easier to control and lees likely to burn your extract.

Hedo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I assume you mean the black rod (and not the discontinued blue rod). I too was underwhelmed with the black rod running on a single AW IMR battery. I wrote about my experience here. The black rod (by design) supplies half the power of the white rod and this just doesn't work very well for stable waxes IMO. It's a shame too because I was hoping to use the black rod in a super stealth configuration. I'm pretty sure it would work much better with less viscous extracts like CO2 oils or ejuice although I haven't tried those with a black heating rod.

Since a lot of people will be getting a Core VV power supply very soon, if you want to try the power level of the black rod with a white rod setup set the voltage to 5.1v to 5.7v on the Core (or Iris) and see if that works for you. In my experiments with the white rod on an Iris the optimum voltage level for me using CO2 oil was around 6v and the optimum for very stable waxes and shatters was about 7v. More stable, hard to melt, extracts need more power to keep the oil/vapor engine running in the Herc. You can throttle the power by feathering the power button, of course, the VV supply just makes it easier to control and lees likely to burn your extract.

Hedo
I think the WHITE ROD is as good as it gets!

SHATTER no problem!

BENDER or something else for FLOWER.

The two battery configuration "2 x 18350's" = POWERFUL
CO2 oil I'm thinking K.I.S.S. cart?

Then again I'm just learning!

Sleepin in CA

Higher than a Pterodactyl, you can call me Caveman
Accessory Maker
I think the WHITE ROD is as good as it gets!

SHATTER no problem!

BENDER or something else for FLOWER.

The two battery configuration "2 x 18350's" = POWERFUL
CO2 oil I'm thinking K.I.S.S. cart?

Then again I'm just learning!
I'm with you man, not feeling this black rod.

@Hedonismbot I actually read that post awhile ago, but I figured maybe we were having an undisclosed issue possibly? I doubted it then, and do now, but figured I'd ask. Thanks for all the input. I may try the black rod again later with some less stable waxes, but I don't think it's going to be used much (if ever).

Hedonismbot

On a whim I decided to try these rubber feet on my Persei button.

ckobEGq.jpg

Bdm6i6O.jpg

hgtS2fD.jpg

dYZQSlE.jpg

They fit pretty well and look pretty good. It makes it easier to press the button and it shows the blue light a little better. A surprise benefit is that the Persei no longer wants to roll off my desk. The downside is that the extra button height may make accidental button presses more likely. Unknown is how long it will stay on. So far it's lasted 1 day. I'll let you know when it finally falls off.

Hedo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I throw CO2 oil in the original carts. Works great!
I do as well.

I don't have a way to make CO2 wax so I need to just buy a bunch.

Can't wait to play with the K.I.S.S. cart.
W9 TECH say's I should receive it SATURDAY!
In the meantime I will load a 2.4 cart.
I have some OG SHATTER and some OG HONEY COMB.
However unfortunately no CO2 Oil!

ataxian,

Hedonismbot

I do as well.

I don't have a way to make CO2 wax so I need to just buy a bunch.

Can't wait to play with the K.I.S.S. cart.
W9 TECH say's I should receive it SATURDAY!
In the meantime I will load a 2.4 cart.
I have some OG SHATTER and some OG HONEY COMB.
However unfortunately no CO2 Oil!

I use CO2 oils in one of my SR71s. It vapes easily and is very stony but I just don't like the flavor all that much (the Herc really lets the flavor shine through). My CO2 oils have a woody/spicy flavor where the BHO extracts taste like the original bud. I've also found that the concentrates that are 90%+ THC don't have much flavor at all although the taste is clean and the effects very strong. I'm going through some Blue Dream now (light blonde crumble) that tests out to 87% THC and it seems to have the perfect balance of flavor and strength. Thanks to you ataxian I'm more focused on flavor now!

Hedo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I use CO2 oils in one of my SR71s. It vapes easily and is very stony but I just don't like the flavor all that much (the Herc really lets the flavor shine through). My CO2 oils have a woody/spicy flavor where the BHO extracts taste like the original bud. I've also found that the concentrates that are 90%+ THC don't have much flavor at all although the taste is clean and the effects very strong. I'm going through some Blue Dream now (light blonde crumble) that tests out to 87% THC and it seems to have the perfect balance of flavor and strength. Thanks to you ataxian I'm more focused on flavor now!

Hedo
I agree!

The CO2 is nice however SHATTER is flavor city!
The Honey Comb Blue Dream is really good too!
The HERCULES SR71 is the best attachment concerning flavor.
However I do have 2 of them one is not functioning (user error)
I will work on it Monday. (miss the HERCULES action)

BHO well purged to me is very good!
If done right it even taste better than ISO.
CO2 done right is better than PURE GOLD.
I have PG often however it's not the HOLY GRAIL!

ataxian,

masaki

On a whim I decided to try these rubber feet on my Persei button.

ckobEGq.jpg

Bdm6i6O.jpg

hgtS2fD.jpg

dYZQSlE.jpg

They fit pretty well and look pretty good. It makes it easier to press the button and it shows the blue light a little better. A surprise benefit is that the Persei no longer wants to roll off my desk. The downside is that the extra button height may make accidental button presses more likely. Unknown is how long it will stay on. So far it's lasted 1 day. I'll let you know when it finally falls off.

Hedo
This is cool! I wanted to try the magnet over the button. Has anyone tried this and know what size or can link me to it :)

masaki,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH

Hedo
Yeah, IIRC the CO2 extraction process really likes to pull a specific terpene responsible for the taste. Spicy/peppery is how I'd describe it, too, but that way I know for sure it's CO2 and not just BHO being passed off as a solventless extract. The same terpene is responsible for the taste of peppers, too.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
On a side note porous ceramic. Making a come back.

Next Generation coming soon. Just keep supporting and we will keep making it better and better and better and better and better and better cant make it a white one so we will just make it darker.

Jesser509

On a side note porous ceramic. Making a come back.

Next Generation coming soon. Just keep supporting and we will keep making it better and better and better and better and better and better cant make it a white one so we will just make it darker.

Can you explain what were seeing here? What did you replace the ceramic rod with?

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I hope he replaced it with a more porous ceramic rod with a GRADE 2 Ti coil. :rofl:

Yes we replaced the cream colored ceramic seams that its causing a stir with even darker version. The same kind that a manufacturer used back in the day for their ejuice tanks.

Grade 2 ti heater next on the block.

Top Bottom