Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

Caligula

Maximus
hmm I was using stock but I also used efest, both were fully charged, and yes my spring did drop but I yanked it back to where it was supposed to be, should I not use the bottom that dropped ?, I'm getting my tops back today (cross fingers), I have a spare stainless one, but I think remember a couple of pages back where someone just pulled their spring back to normal and it was ok, please correct me if I mistaken

No idea on that. @Atomsk had one that was completely flat, and G gave him a new one. I would have to defer to @THC SCIENTIFIC on that one. As for the tops that blew, were they the newer ones with "PERSEI" written on them, or were they blank under the button?

Also just a thought, but rod placement is very critical it seems. Having it slightly off for your specific setup can cause issues ranging from too little heat to shorting the top (IIRC). May want to skype with G or something when getting it back together again, just to make sure everything is kosher before hitting that power button, you know?

@vaporchaser420

vaporchaser420

No idea on that. @Atomsk had one that was completely flat, and G gave him a new one. I would have to defer to @THC SCIENTIFIC on that one. As for the tops that blew, were they the newer ones with "PERSEI" written on them, or were they blank under the button?

Also just a thought, but rod placement is very critical it seems. Having it slightly off for your specific setup can cause issues ranging from too little heat to shorting the top (IIRC). May want to skype with G or something when getting it back together again, just to make sure everything is kosher before hitting that power button, you know?

@vaporchaser420
good advice, and yeah the single was the newer top but I'm pretty sure that one blew to a miss-assembled herc, I think the rod was in the wrong placement. I figured it out and used it on my double which ran great then all of a sudden after two days of use boom I noticed no light and my spring had dropped, which I knew right away what had happened, but not sure why?

vaporchaser420

anything thats structurally modified in any shape of form during a failure session i would replace. Please remember the Persei is designed to have some sort of protections against failures and these parts must be always in top condition.
Thank you G I'll be sending that one in and using my stainless one in the mean time

vaporchaser420,

Caligula

Maximus
good advice, and yeah the single was the newer top but I'm pretty sure that one blew to a miss-assembled herc, I think the rod was in the wrong placement. I figured it out and used it on my double which ran great then all of a sudden after two days of use boom I noticed no light and my spring had dropped, which I knew right away what had happened, but not sure why?

You hinted that it was an old style dual top? If so, that may very well be the exact reason. G was shocked that my old style top works perfectly with the Herc as a matter of fact, lol. He basically told me to never get rid of it unless it blows up and catches fire.

OT: I've been pulling clouds off of .2 of some Cherry Kush shatter that I loaded on a saturated short coil for quite a while now. Not only tasty but long lasting! Of course I'm taking normal sized rips off of it like I would a cart. I'm not trying to pass out just yet. ;)

vaporchaser420

You hinted that it was an old style dual top? If so, that may very well be the exact reason. G was shocked that my old style top works perfectly with the Herc as a matter of fact, lol. He basically told me to never get rid of it unless it blows up and catches fire.

OT: I've been pulling clouds off of .2 of some Cherry Kush shatter that I loaded on a saturated short coil for quite a while now. Not only tasty but long lasting! Of course I'm taking normal sized rips off of it like I would a cart. I'm not trying to pass out just yet. ;)
Yes older double top but now that I think about it that makes perfect sense, it did seem like a lot of ppl with older tops were blowing them left and right, btw cherry kush shatter, sounds tasty I think it might be time for me to re-fill my errl collection

vaporchaser420,
Reactions: Caligula

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Every coil is slightly different in dimension and density. Because of this, how you properly hit your specific setup can be slightly or very different from someone else. This is being addressed by G, however in the meantime just keep that in mind when trying out stuff other people claimed worked for them. BOG's Herc seems to work great when its straight up and down. Mine needs to be tilted ever so slightly, and so on. Cutting your coil will also change this dynamic.

I just experimented with slightly tilting my Persei after reading your post and all I can say is this...

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So you got aw's with your persei? I didn't, I received regular generic imr batts with my persei. Bummer..

Wouldn't be available for Skype till tonight at best I will give you a call in 5. Thanks.
Sorry I traded for my persei. It came with 4 AW18350 batteries so i just assumed 2 of them were from the persei kit

Im sure if both of them arent working you had a different issue then me, but i did have a similar experience. When i got my herc it would not heat up, get hot, glow or anything on the single top. Worked fine on the double top though. All i had to do was take two screw drivers and hold one on each end of the black bottom screw adapter and make one full turn of the screw. Got my single top/herc up and running. My single top was still working with the original oil carts though when i had that issue.

@Caligula about the power issue, when I had my Hercules I was going through at least 40-50 sec of heat up time before I got the vapor where I liked (nail size hits), now I'm thinking this is way too long (this was before the magic cut the coil method), I actually fried my single and double top (due to failure to assemble correctly for single, not sure for dbl), but my question is, can the heat from the Hercules be hot enough for top failure? and did G recommend a limit to how many times the top should be pressed before failure occurs?

Had the exact same issue as you. Was having to hold the button down until the timer cut off then press again before i could inhale and get any decent vapor. Think it was a combination of too long of a coil and bad/low batteries.

@Caligula great info. i just wanted to add something to your post about the coil. You said the smallest coil length should be flush with the top of the ceramic rod...but for glass and waxy types its better to have the ceramic rod about 1-2mm above the coil. A 30/70 cut using the 30 side can accomplish that. Also G said they are planning on selling smaller sized coils so that is something to look foward to for people that are weary of having to cut them down

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
edited: Added info @ 4:00PM PST on 9-6-2013

Good news everyone!

I believe I've finally come out of my SR-71 induced stooper enough to make a somewhat coherent post regarding my meeting with G as well as what I've learned by playing with my unit (heh).

First and foremost, I wanted to thank @THC SCIENTIFIC for the awesome customer service.
! Were all in this together.

-Joe

This thing is a game changer!

Caligula

Maximus
Sorry I traded for my persei. It came with 4 AW18350 batteries so i just assumed 2 of them were from the persei kit

Im sure if both of them arent working you had a different issue then me, but i did have a similar experience. When i got my herc it would not heat up, get hot, glow or anything on the single top. Worked fine on the double top though. All i had to do was take two screw drivers and hold one on each end of the black bottom screw adapter and make one full turn of the screw. Got my single top/herc up and running. My single top was still working with the original oil carts though when i had that issue.

Had the exact same issue as you. Was having to hold the button down until the timer cut off then press again before i could inhale and get any decent vapor. Think it was a combination of too long of a coil and bad/low batteries.

@Caligula great info. i just wanted to add something to your post about the coil. You said the smallest coil length should be flush with the top of the ceramic rod...but for glass and waxy types its better to have the ceramic rod about 1-2mm above the coil. A 30/70 cut using the 30 side can accomplish that. Also G said they are planning on selling smaller sized coils so that is something to look foward to for people that are weary of having to cut them down

I wanted to expand on that but ran into the post size limit. What I meant to say is that the SMALLEST you should cut your coil is flush with the rod.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I wanted to expand on that but ran into the post size limit. What I meant to say is that the SMALLEST you should cut your coil is flush with the rod.
Ah gotcha

This thing is a game changer!
Is that the original hercules outer sleeve on there? Mine is a lot shinier and just says "hercules SR 71" also you can barely notice that it even says that or that it says "caution hot" on the other side

Meh

Pulled the trigger and got a persei herc setup. I honestly didn't know what I was in for. Surprised the product seems to basically still be in the testing phase considering I dropped almost 300 on this setup. Unfortunately I havent got to try it yet cuz of a faulty top. I'm used to a glass bubbler dab setup. Just seems like too many parts that can fail with these gadgets. I'm not completely over it yet cuz I really would like a portable dab like pen without having to bust out a torch so I'm gonna give it another go, but damn its pretty discouraging to read about all the tweaks u guys are doin to make it work right and the batteries that come with it aren't even good enough?! When I pay this kind of money for a pen I expect it to basically work right outta the box wo tweaking. Hopefully I'll be able to dial it in but I don't have time to be toyin with this thing all day ha. O well there's always ti and a torch.

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Pulled the trigger and got a persei herc setup. I honestly didn't know what I was in for. Surprised the product seems to basically still be in the testing phase considering I dropped almost 300 on this setup. Unfortunately I havent got to try it yet cuz of a faulty top. I'm used to a glass bubbler dab setup. Just seems like too many parts that can fail with these gadgets. I'm not completely over it yet cuz I really would like a portable dab like pen without having to bust out a torch so I'm gonna give it another go, but damn its pretty discouraging to read about all the tweaks u guys are doin to make it work right and the batteries that come with it aren't even good enough?! When I pay this kind of money for a pen I expect it to basically work right outta the box wo tweaking. Hopefully I'll be able to dial it in but I don't have time to be toyin with this thing all day ha. O well there's always ti and a torch.

I don't think you have to worry much about getting your SR-71 up and running. Although there were some problems in the beginning, w9Tech has recently solved the last of them (I was one of the people having problems at first). If you ordered the Herc recently, your's should be good to go. Only thing you might want to do is cut one of the oil coils a little shorter (which is literally as easy as taking a pair of scissors and making a quick snip) depending on what type of concentrate you're using. I cannot stress enough that you should take your time and make sure you assemble the Herc correctly.

As for the Persei coming with stock batts and not the AW IMR 18350's, we have to remember two things. First, that the Hercules was a secondary thought. The batteries that the Persei comes with are absolutely fine for running the original Omicron/Persei carts. Second, the stock batteries do technically work in powering the SR-71 but not nearly as well as the AW's. However, you mention you bought a Persei and Herc combo package. If that's the case, I kind of agree that it should come with the AW IMR 18350's since they're the ideal and company recommended battery but that would also probably drive the cost of the unit up as well.

I hope you get everything running smoothly soon!

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
I think his is a early SR-71 (not the first one). I original herc 3.7V out shell fits the SR-71. They are the same and is the MP and base adapter. Its the center tubes that changed on the SR-71.

So what is the final recommendation of position during use and storage of the SR-71 on the Persei.

1. Can you use it (or should) straight up and down with the MP pointing up.

2. Store on side after cooling draws...

I would like to use the SR-71 on my UP Persei bubbler which holds it staright up. Is that OK on leakage?

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
I think his is a early SR-71 (not the first one). I original herc 3.7V out shell fits the SR-71. They are the same and is the MP and base adapter. Its the center tubes that changed on the SR-71.

So what is the final recommendation of position during use and storage of the SR-71 on the Persei.

1. Can you use it (or should) straight up and down with the MP pointing up.

2. Store on side after cooling draws...

I would like to use the SR-71 on my UP Persei bubbler which holds it staright up. Is that OK on leakage?

You can use it on the bubbler, but you still have to cool it down. When down just take off and lay it on its side.

Meh

On a positive note they did agree to replace my faulty top and I should have it by Monday or tues.
I'm gonna order the awg batts I guess and I suppose cuttin a coil isn't soo bad knowing my luck tho ill probly wreck it somehow ha.
I tried the dual cartridge top since its the only one that worked and i really wanted to give the unit a whirl. I used the old school persei cartridges that can hold like up to a gram or 400 hits or whatever. Loaded up about .75gs in each cartridge. Flavor was really off. Then I tried it again later and was noticing some serious heat coming from the handle. I turned it off and took batteries out and nearly burned myself they were so hot! So I may have more serious issues then jus faulty tops. Looks like the contacts are fried on my dual top now and my unit smells like chemical death. Maybe I should boil it?
Back to dabs for now. I bought a microvape v2 glass globe kit with the new ti heating coil in mid August and that things already collectin dust. Fuckin pens argh ha

Meh,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
thanks G. Thought so. Awesome. I need cooling. The hits are massive now.

On a positive note they did agree to replace my faulty top and I should have it by Monday or tues.
I'm gonna order the awg batts I guess and I suppose cuttin a coil isn't soo bad knowing my luck tho ill probly wreck it somehow ha.
I tried the dual cartridge top since its the only one that worked and i really wanted to give the unit a whirl. I used the old school persei cartridges that can hold like up to a gram or 400 hits or whatever. Loaded up about .75gs in each cartridge. Flavor was really off. Then I tried it again later and was noticing some serious heat coming from the handle. I turned it off and took batteries out and nearly burned myself they were so hot! So I may have more serious issues then jus faulty tops. Looks like the contacts are fried on my dual top now and my unit smells like chemical death. Maybe I should boil it?
Back to dabs for now. I bought a microvape v2 glass globe kit with the new ti heating coil in mid August and that things already collectin dust. Fuckin pens argh ha

Something else is wrong somewhere. If you changed carts and now using a 2.4 ohm omicron cart and this happened to the base and control head I doubt its the cart. Something else is wrong.

Where was the original heat from - towards the top or the bottom of the tube?
You where running the 2.4 ohm cart with either one 18650 or one 18350 battery right, not two 18350's like the SR-71?

Its possible the two issues are unrelated - the 1st being a SR-71 short and the second being yet another issue. It should handle it though since 2.4 ohm carts will not draw as much as the SR-71 at first, and only will draw 3A at 7.4V...

I have had reasonable luck with the Vaped Skillet, the globe works similar, but breaks. can see the vape though. Just constant reload and the heater tends to burn the oil a bit too much from the temp grad ... One of the better typical e-pens :)

Last edited:

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer

Did you run 2 x 5 ohms at 3.7v? Or 2x5 ohms at 7.4v?

Last edited:
THC SCIENTIFIC,

cannaman559

thanks G. Thought so. Awesome. I need cooling. The hits are massive now.

Something else is wrong somewhere. If you changed carts and now using a 2.4 ohm omicron cart and this happened to the base and control head I doubt its the cart. Something else is wrong.

Where was the original heat from - towards the top or the bottom of the tube?
You where running the 2.4 ohm cart with either one 18650 or one 18350 battery right, not two 18350's like the SR-71?

Its possible the two issues are unrelated - the 1st being a SR-71 short and the second being yet another issue. It should handle it though since 2.4 ohm carts will not draw as much as the SR-71 at first, and only will draw 3A at 7.4V...

I have had reasonable luck with the Vaped Skillet, the globe works similar, but breaks. can see the vape though. Just constant reload and the heater tends to burn the oil a bit too much from the temp grad ... One of the better typical e-pens :)

http://imgur.com/M1Pplok
It aint no blackbird tho...

cannaman559,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Ah gotcha

Is that the original Hercules outer sleeve on there? Mine is a lot shinier and just says "Hercules SR 71" also you can barely notice that it even says that or that it says "caution hot" on the other side
I don't think it maters?

There have been a few modifications along the way.
Looks like the product is ready to fly!

jpdnkstr

the carts I ran came in the persei part of the kit. They are not omnicron carts from what i can tell. They say 5.0EC/6 WCtech on the side.
Omicron and persei carts are the same, never load more than .5 in these carts.... please don't go jumping in the deep end without your floaties! It tends to scare people right out of the pool.

Top Bottom