Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

OF

EDIT: OF, so you would definitely recommend going for the fresh cart? I was hoping any sort of reduced "wickage" (lol), would help with runny oil.

Yup. I can't recommend trying to save a problematic ten dollar cart by putting $40 of good stuff in and crossing your fingers. If it works at all, I'm sure it wouldn't be stable, the feed is almost certain to change over time. It would, I think, be marginal at best. Why hope to fight it if it works at all?

"Penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind? I'd pass. Give it a nice funeral.

OF

OF,
Reactions: t00fatt

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I'm hoping to reuse the 5ohm cart I had the taffy in, I was careful not to overheat the cart when dumping the load. I'm hoping whatever residue of taffy that is left in there will actually help to slow the flow through the wick. I'm also hoping on 7.4v I can give it an occasional quick button press to avoid warming up the tank heater.

EDIT: OF, so you would definitely recommend going for the fresh cart? I was hoping any sort of reduced "wickage" (lol), would help with runny oil.
In situations were I have residual concentrate left in a cart I just put on the MacGyver hat! (optional)
Pull out your torch lighter and drip the contents on to a 1 gram pile of fine ground flowers and stir.
Then put the contents in a pollen press tight heat it up let it cool down then heat again. 3 times!

I let it sit over night.
Remove and receive a pollen puck (HASH LIKE)!

Smoke it like hash or recycle it into your FLOWER Vape.

Throw the dead cart away and move on!

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
I am completely pissed at myself.

Spent the majority of yesterday evening cleaning out "old" carts since I got my two fresh 1.5 ohm ones a few days ago. These were carts in working condition but with some clogging and, in a few cases, leaking. Reclaim from four working carts was just over a gram.

I fill a new 1.5ohm with some exceptional blue dream flake, refill my Nibbler X, and take the most exquisitely harsh, diabolically medicinal hit ever. After my five minute coughing fit, I go for round two and discover that, in my haste, I had the 1.5 fire on 7.4v. This is a great way to waste $12, .2 wax, and favorable blood pressure readings.

I start to fill the second 1.5ohm but then decide to just leak out the first cart's contents into this last cart. I pry off the flue, I remove the silicone cup, and then I know a cold dread as a sharp thought cuts in to me: I just removed this stuff from the empty 1.5ohm.

SO, in the span of 18 hours I managed to dismantle four working carts, burn out a new one, and mangle the last one. I feel like I wasted my last bullet in a zombie apocalypse.

friedbanana8

hey guys, so i got some wax yesterday. Some lemon larry OG wax. Decided to put it into my last 2.4ohm cart as everyone has said that it provides that best taste with the nibblerx. I have to say that im definately going to get more of these again. There were a few days during which i was without any medication and i think my tolerance dropped a bit, having been up so high from my initial sessions with the persei (i was out of control those first days). Now that im settled, i think i can make a smooth transition from the 5.0ohm'ers to the 2.4ohm'ers. And the taste is amazing!

t00fatt

Well so the oil my buddy had failed the foil test miserably, so I'm still stuck with my taffy. So my only options are to bare 6 hours in the car with no medicine or try reloading that cart with the same taffy. Seeing as I have a quarter of the taffy, I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a cart and another .5 for even just some minor hits. God I hate living in Florida, I should be grateful as it is just to have this taffy.

OF

Well so the oil my buddy had failed the foil test miserably, so I'm still stuck with my taffy. So my only options are to bare 6 hours in the car with no medicine or try reloading that cart with the same taffy.

Bummer.

With more care you might get further along before it stalls out?

Another option is to eat the hash? Unlike Herb, it's 'ready to go'. As a guideline you might figure something like say 80 mg of THC? Say .125 grams (1/8) in two doses? That is do 1/16 of the gram of taffy, wait a few hours then do the next 1/16 if needed?

Does that make any sense? I think those are reasonable numbers, but other opinions would be most welcome. Eating hash is not a strong suit for me......I'm more of a cookie guy myself.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Well so the oil my buddy had failed the foil test miserably, so I'm still stuck with my taffy. So my only options are to bare 6 hours in the car with no medicine or try reloading that cart with the same taffy. Seeing as I have a quarter of the taffy, I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a cart and another .5 for even just some minor hits. God I hate living in Florida, I should be grateful as it is just to have this taffy.
Don't feel bad I have 13 grams of TAFFY that I loaded 1.5 grams of it into 3 carts.
0.5 grams in each one.

All three are clogged!
Rookie mistake!
I normally only load very dry blond waxes.
600 grams trimming = 13 grams TAFFY (Too gooey for me to call wax)
POWERFUL STUFF however not a cart friendly concentrate!

Empty these carts on to some flowers.
Load new carts with BLONDE DRY WAX
Back in action!

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Cancel that last call folks, I just got the word from D9 that I have a retailer for carts here in San Diego!

Any San Diegan, or visitor, who might be interested should give Funky Monkey Smoke Shop a visit.

Seeing as I have a quarter of the taffy, I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a cart and another .5 for even just some minor hits.

Okay, since we've established some desperation here, I have some ideas to run by you:

I'm assuming you're new to the Omi-Carts. Maybe the problem you had was with your filling. Keeping two fingers on the bottom third of the cart, heat from the center up, finally to your funnel with your goods. If done right, your two fingers on the cart should receive no heat until your wax starts flowing down, where you'll feel the hot wax sliding in to place.

Another idea is to heat the cart at the center before taking a hit. I suggest this only because this cart is so far gone. Heating the center will help liquify the taffy, which could help if it's the bulk heater having trouble getting it melted down.

Or, take about .3+ of taffy in a heat-safe glass dish and warm it until it liquifies, then add .2+ of your darker oil. Mix these together well and let it sit. If the consistency is a good deal more workable than it was before, try it out.

Lastly, you might just wanna try the runny oil that didn't pass the foil test in the cart. Since the Foil test is intended to determine what burns clean enough for the cart, and the cart you're going to be using isn't exactly prime, I figure, what the hell?

Don't feel bad I have 13 grams of TAFFY that I loaded 1.5 grams of it into 3 carts.

You sound like you could really use the Hercules V2, buddy. How's the room coming along?

t00fatt

Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate it! When I dumped the cart, the consistency of the taffy changed completely, went from being a very stable taffy/budder to a semi-stable stringy taffy like consistency. I reloaded that with a bit more taffy back into the same cart, and it seems to be primed and hitting slightly better than before. I get small good tasting hits at 3.7v when I really work the button, or I get harsh wick tasting hits a 7.4v but with large clouds. I've far from mastered omicron carts just yet, but I followed just about all the tips on loading, which have helped immensely. But I'm fairly certain I'm filling it properly, if I were to heat it any more I'd like be causing damage, and I'm always sure to heat from the bottom up. Even tried very gently sucking from the bottom of the cart, which definitely helped getting it primed again, lol just hope it doesn't start leaking.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Claiming a member's post is "BS" is not nice. Please choose your words more carefully. Thank you.
Listening in on the party line, I guess the oil makes sense to me. Hash Oil is an insulator and we need much more solid contact for high power guys like Hercules and Bender. Run an Omicron cart 'cold' and you still get useful vapor, not so with the big boys. The losses are so high there (insulation poor) that you need lots of steam to make speed. The very reason you need AW IMRs for good performance.

Hey, that 'making mistakes' line forms to the rear......

OF

Threads have been fully cleaned before testing the hercs. They were dirty again from use. I've cleaned the threads dozens of times and it did not change the behavior.

just more BS from G. Still no reason why he never asked for a return and kept blaming the user....

in the last month
I have had no problem getting warranty service from Arizer for one of my solo's that died. Less than 2 weeks round trip.
Flashvape drop shipped me a unit the same day
Inhalater took about a month to replace after 1 phone call... (too bad i've had to replace those 3 times, the XP has had some serious quality issues, the original only 1 bug). Those guys dont respond to emails or phone calls very frequently.

and never had any concerns with TV's or MFLB customer service.

edit: rest of rant deleted.

ru_frothi,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Ruff im sorry but i have the units in front of me, there is no BS from me, i sent you a free Hercules so that i can confirm a defective unit without you sending in yours, Some how the second unit was causing issues too, that led me to believe something else was going on, Im sorry I was not able to make it up to San Francisco. I am just telling you how it is. I have both Hercules 7.4v units and both are firing perfect, end user error? not sure, act of god? not sure. What i know is your Hercules plus the free one I sent, plus the 3.7v Hercules all work perfectly. Have you checked your charger? is it fully charging the cells?

To say that I have not taken care of all my our units that have been sold and the fact that we don't provide customer service is wrong.

I am happy to give you full refunds to all the units you have ordered from us minus the items that where sent for free. There is nothing else I can do, i know you have been here from day one and I thank you for it, but theres nothing else i can do other then make sure your units working fine.

There are other Hercules users that can produce vapors with their units, and Vito even shows a video of him doing massive clouds on the 3.7v.

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
When you guys say that shipping from PlanetVape is sometimes faster than D9 when shipping to California, what level of shipping is that? The lowest priced shipping option says 6-9 days, while there is a $30 option for 2-3 days.

I got my order from Planetvape.ca in 4 days, standard Canada post to Oregon. I would expect CA to be the same. Delta9 I got in 2 days

You're fine. If I had chalked you up to the whiner's list, I wouldn't still be trying to give you advice. I understand the position of being new to a company, making a big investment, and being let down by some starting snag. Like I said, I was there before.

No, not stoned, just the phrasing and structure of your post made it seem like the new paragraph was in a separate vein of thought from the previous one, making your first sentence of that next paragraph, " I spent $600 and we are talking about less than $20 worth of parts,"
sound like a stand alone statement. Refer to your #4. No hard feelings here.

You are being fair and objective, but I wonder what improvements to design you might suggest to take D9 from the primitive to the cutting edge? A variable voltage would have been great from the start, as would the option to change button modes instead of having to buy a Hammer Top.

I see how one could read what you did. Oh well like you say #4....

Improvements I would love to have and pay for:
1. Variable voltage control
2. Variable wattage control (you set the wattage, it sets the voltage based on the cart resistance)
3. Measure the cart resistance (#2 functionality gives you that and you can test the cart before loading).
4. Pulse mode - you set the on/off ratio
5. Toggle on/off switch (like hammer top)
6. 1/2 gram carts.
7. Temperature control/Thermal couple at the socket - you set the temp, it sets the voltage to get it and pulses the power to maintain it.
8. LCD display for above control.
9. Turn off feature (avoid powering it on in pocket)
10. Attachment to help load the cart. A metal sleeve the cart slides into which contains a heating wire coil - high resistance and low power. The heater is only wrapped around the top 2/3 of the cart and is powerful enough to metal the heavy C, but not vape it. This could be better controlled than a torch lighter. The base unit could be used to supply power and the variable voltage could be used to control the temp...

Mod note: As stated before, when possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Two posts merged and warning point issued.

PhotoRider

Well, I have learned a few of things myself last couple days.

1. Don't load a bunch of carts before you run through one or two and get up the learning curve... (go figure)

2. You can burn through a lot of material very quickly with the device.

3. Depending on the material - running at 7.4 with a 5 ohm seems to consume the material faster that it wicks. The material was very blond dry Lemon Kush honeycomb. It burns real clean on foil.

4. Changing to 6 voltage solves the problem in most cases so I don't think it clogging the wicks.

5. I understand now why people suggest using on 1/2 gram and refilling at .2 gram...

6. THC S took care of me on the batteries which is going to cost me more $$$ - I need more attachments.

So I tried something. I went down and bought from thermal wire and wrapped around 4 carts - only the top 2/3 or so. The wire is low voltage and low wattage. It only heats the carts to about 180 degrees at 6V. I then wiring over to a battery case running 6V batteries. Then I through them into my centrifuge and ran it about 1.5K rpm for a few minutes.

The new carts prime first try and the cart having issue at 7.4 ran like a champ, but is now history - all used (guess I can't get that last 0.1 gram out). I made the mistake of showing it to a couple friend. Bad choice.

Does anybody know if there is a concern of the seals leaking under force such as the centrifuge. Its variable so I can control it. I assume at a point the material could be forced into the air hole into the socket connect. Didn't see that yet and keep the speed low, but given enough force I know it will happen.

OF

Improvements I would love to have and pay for:

Many of those points are addressed directly with D9's Iris. The pilot run (100 units) have uncovered some problems and are being corrected for the next version. You're right, these are extra features many will be willing to pay for (I did, I bought one of those 100 Irises) .....but not all. I think Persei is a solid product fitting the needs of many better than any other offering out there. They don't want (nor are willing to pay for) extra features. As a first, or only, offering in the area Persei is the right call I think. It should continue as long as it's popular.

Some of features you want, such as temperature regulation, I think are not possible. In that case, sensing socket temperature isn't going to cut it since it won't respond to changes in "heat load" (say cold air drawn in in the hit) with a time constant of any value. I don't think you can hope to 'close the loop' without a sensor at the heater in the cart as successful vapes offering this feature do.

Smart folks with proven track records are working on this, I expect improvement over time. If it's possible, they will try to provide it. D9 is in it for the long haul and is, IMO, looking out for us.

OF

PhotoRider

Many of those points are addressed directly with D9's Iris. The pilot run (100 units) have uncovered some problems and are being corrected for the next version. You're right, these are extra features many will be willing to pay for (I did, I bought one of those 100 Irises) .....but not all. I think Persei is a solid product fitting the needs of many better than any other offering out there. They don't want (nor are willing to pay for) extra features. As a first, or only, offering in the area Persei is the right call I think. It should continue as long as it's popular.

Some of features you want, such as temperature regulation, I think are not possible. In that case, sensing socket temperature isn't going to cut it since it won't respond to changes in "heat load" (say cold air drawn in in the hit) with a time constant of any value. I don't think you can hope to 'close the loop' without a sensor at the heater in the cart as successful vapes offering this feature do.

Smart folks with proven track records are working on this, I expect improvement over time. If it's possible, they will try to provide it. D9 is in it for the long haul and is, IMO, looking out for us.

OF

OF,
Yes I understand your point and make 100% sense. Economics and features are always a trade off. Not going to judge if its a right call or not. It is that it is and if it funds the company to get to the features I want for I'm behind that. I stated I knew what it was before getting it and bought it still.

I knew nothing of the Iris and take comfort in knowing its in the works. Having this control gives more capability with less effort. If I knew about it instead I would be whining where is it with money burning a hole in my pocket (humor). Does the Iris have a pulse mode?

Socket temp was a suggestion and blue sky, but I agree it has its technical issues. There are other possible options, but like you say research is required to see what the trade-off are. For example - can measuring the cart outside metal temp at the coil position be accurate and reliably measure the required temp or is it too isolated. Putting it in the cart would drive up the cart cost so unless its real cheap its not the best option. Maybe a housing around the cart i.e. the base has the socket in a hole in the base and most of the cart is in the base itself. Key is finding a a good reference point to measure the temp.

Another thought was to put a low temp heater on the upper part of the cart (if the cart fits deeply into the base, a heater can be wrapped around the top of the cart and be in the base. Then there could be a load/wick mode to to a controller prime of the cart. During this time the main coil is off. Maybe this could be done in actual use to to help in flow...

These are just requests at this point from an user and I am just blue skying here so not thought all the way through. Just free thinking out loud.

Another thought was to provide a less portable home unit that excepts the same carts. Doing use batteries, ac instead. Allow multiple cart use with tubing to splice teh cart outputs together. Major home heavy C vaporizer...

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below

WC1

Hello,

I have been happy with my Persei for several months, though earlier this week it stopped working and I am hoping this kind community may be able to help me troubleshoot.

In short it stopped turning on. No light, no cart heat. Both sets of batteries show full green on charger. Both my single or double top have the same behavior.

Given that it is less likely that both tops or batteries would fail at exactly the same time my best guess is the tube, though I don't see anything there that looks suspicious. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

WC1,
Reactions: OF

OF

Given that it is less likely that both tops or batteries would fail at exactly the same time my best guess is the tube, though I don't see anything there that looks suspicious. Any thoughts?

Bummer. But IMO excellent troubleshooting. One of the (few) useful rules in troubles shooting is to look for the 'single point failure' that explains all the symptoms. You seem to have done an excellent job there through substitution (one of the few good tools), more so it they were known good? That it all batteries and both heads worked well before the lights went out?

That brings us, I think, to the tube contacts (most likely the spring/floating plate) or charger. My money's on the latter with no instruments available? Do you think maybe one battery set was fully discharged already when the other got pulled under the mark?

Stripping down, cleaning and inspecting the spring/floating plate thing (pay attention to the attachment of the spring) might find something? Setting the tension a little tighter might do it. I like to screw the plate up until it bottoms out then back it off about a turn and a half.

Good luck, I hope it doesn't have to go to the shop, it's much harder to enjoy while it's there you know.

OF

OF,
Reactions: ataxian

DubCRider

Hello,

I have been happy with my Persei for several months, though earlier this week it stopped working and I am hoping this kind community may be able to help me troubleshoot.

In short it stopped turning on. No light, no cart heat. Both sets of batteries show full green on charger. Both my single or double top have the same behavior.

Thanks much!

Give me a call, I can get you sorted out.

TommydCat

When you place the batteries in the charger, does it blink red at all? I've encountered a state where the cell is depleted so much the charger wouldn't actually recognize it as plugged in!

I wound up having to place another battery (from another set) alongside one of the depleted ones until the charger turned red and started charging... I could then remove the second battery and insert the other battery from the same pair (in my case it was two 18350s and I used a 18650 - just for a few seconds - to "jump start" one of the 18350s).

In essence, you have to "trick" the charger into starting to charge, at which point it will do it's job correctly.

I've since purchased a much nicer charger that actually chargers the two batteries independently and has a true top-off (instead of trickle) mode that lets me safely leave them charging for however long! ;)

TommydCat,
Reactions: OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
does the other top light up? using both battery configurations? if yes then bad top, if no then bad spring or batteries.

either way contact support we will handle it.

OF

I wound up having to place another battery (from another set) alongside one of the depleted ones until the charger turned red and started charging... I could then remove the second battery and insert the other battery from the same pair (in my case it was two 18350s and I used a 18650 - just for a few seconds - to "jump start" one of the 18350s).

Good tip, although it only works on modest chargers like come with Persei, ones that put the two batteries on the same charger. Other models (spot them by an LED for each slot) use individual charger circuits rather than sharing for more control so this won't work with them. Each battery is isolated from the other on the plus end usually.

However Li-ion chargers have to deal with this in the real world to. There's a fairly small 'trickle current' (typically used to sense the battery) that will slowly trickle flat (and 'locked out') batteries up to where they're seen as there (about 2.5 Volts typically). If the battery is otherwise OK (importantly leakage currents inside it don't bleed the trickle charge away as fast as it shows up) leaving it in the slot a long time (I've had to do so overnight a time or two) will 'unlock' them eventually.

OF

OF,
Reactions: t00fatt

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Have i been outta the loop or what? Finally checked in again and searched all the 1701s posts. This is great news it is coming along. Neither of the persei units i own have been used by me in a while due to my CE4 not working at all, weird taste in carts, and dislike for the DART LV. I am supremely excited for the 1701s to go for testing and be released. Puregold is the main medicine and it is so damn hard to have something that keeps the taste good, vapes it properly, doesnt dribble/lead it out, and fits the profile i seek with being able to fill and go for a week. This is truly exciting.

One thought on the 1701... If air flow holes like hercules or any sort of side holes were made for air flow and the cart was put in your pocket or on its side wouldnt it drip out/leak? Just a thought. This leaking thing plus proper airflow must be the hardest parts of the design. Or atleast i could imagine so. Atleast with something like puregold.

Porquiplane,
Top Bottom