Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

Cheddartoes

Has anyone written a 'buyers guide' yet for wax/budder/etc? Locally the wax is almost aways in small sticker-sealed containers so its all by eye. Personally i go for texture first. After texture, assuming there are multiple comparable, i look for color. Prefer an amber over blonde, and blonde over anything else. Texture is a little harder to explain, but the pictures are roughly in order of what i would choose based on current experience with the persei.

1LHPR.png
oA4wm.png
0hRLA.png
GBryM.png

If it looks like this, keep looking elsewhere
Z2zYB.png

I'm sure everyone has their own way, i dont have a particularly large oil budget so i usually play it safe and get the same stuff. any comments/suggestions? There are also higher end waxes i didnt include, because my cap is usually at $35/g

Im by no means an oil expert, but from what I can gather...the first appears to be an amber/wax, the second seems to be honeycomb/vac purged, third appears to be a wax/budder, fourth looks to be possibly over-heated and lightly whipped, and the last appears to be a dried iso oil.

Honestly, not from a medical state, and the oil terms always seem alil on the fuzzy side on whats supposed to be what. Just my opinion, tho.

OF

It comes with a 2.4, right? I mean in no way to sound offensive at all, but I hope that I can figure out how to use it correctly within my first 200 to 400 times using it.

In your opinion, with a full gram, would you say you get close to the stated 200 to 400 hits?
And by stable, do you mean amber like, or the wax blonde color?

Thanks OF

Yup, as I just said in the part you quoted, it comes with a 2.4 Ohm cart. For about a year, the only value made (which is kind of a clue....). I'm not sure you learn all that much from using it hit after hit, loading is a big part of it, as is learning to deal with the (low level) plugs and leaks that crop up. High output carts (1.5s on 3.7 Volts or most of the 7.4 Volts schemes) can get away from you too fast IMO. That's based on my experience and a lot of other folks around here. It's your call, but I'd try a few 2.4s and master them before trying anything hotter (in this case 1.5s are the only other options with O-Phos). You can buy individual carts from D9 or PV, I recommend that.

Yes, I tend to agree with the estimates. Thin stuff like PG goes faster, very hard stuff like shatters usually more like the 400 number. And of course hit size varies a lot for guy to guy and hit to hit. But I think 300 is a good number for discussions. Stable oils don't change over time, are generally thicker (to solid) at room temperatures. Darker oils have junk in them (making them dark, THC is pale) that gets burned on the heater eventually clogging it killing the cart (from one to several grams, depending). You want thicker, lighter oils that evaporate cleaning off a bit of foil when heated by a lighter. Wax and budders don't matter much, it's going to be melted before we can use it anyway.

That 'clean evaporation test' is a key, IMO.

I suggest a couple spare 2.4s with your purchase, trust me you'll use them. Almost all the carts I use are 2.4s (I have maybe a dozen in rotation right now?). I consider myself a fairly experienced user, I've done 6 or 8 1.5s over time. All but one have become chronic leakers, that one has a burnt oil taste but still vapes well (no leaks yet). I've got a couple unused ones in the box (along with some higher Ohm values for HV use), not sure if I'll ever use them. IMO a couple hits on the 2.4s are just a potent as a fat one from a 1.5 and I'm in no big rush.

Your call.

You're welcome. Good luck.

OF

Krazzykid

I would listen to OF. He probably has more experience and knowledge than half the people on here put together. No offense to anyone else, and there are a lot of other knowledgeable people on here.

Also you need to remember that all the standard carts are hand built and have no warranty. You may end up getting a faulty cart (not at all common though but does happen) and never get to try 2.4. If that were to happen all you would have to fall back on would be 1.5 carts and may not enjoy them.

kevin

I agree with OF about the two carts, its better to start with the 2.4ohms at first. The best reason IMO is in the loading and priming! Primming a 1.5ohm cart with wax and not ending up with burnt tasting oil is pretty trick sometimes and that taste never goes away! Don't forget about the air pockets and burning up the cart! Order a few singles of each you'll be happy you did.
Good Luck!:science:
Kevin

Cheddartoes

Yup, as I just said in the part you quoted, it comes with a 2.4 Ohm cart. For about a year, the only value made (which is kind of a clue....). I'm not sure you learn all that much from using it hit after hit, loading is a big part of it, as is learning to deal with the (low level) plugs and leaks that crop up. High output carts (1.5s on 3.7 Volts or most of the 7.4 Volts schemes) can get away from you too fast IMO. That's based on my experience and a lot of other folks around here. It's your call, but I'd try a few 2.4s and master them before trying anything hotter (in this case 1.5s are the only other options with O-Phos). You can buy individual carts from D9 or PV, I recommend that.

Yes, I tend to agree with the estimates. Thin stuff like PG goes faster, very hard stuff like shatters usually more like the 400 number. And of course hit size varies a lot for guy to guy and hit to hit. But I think 300 is a good number for discussions. Stable oils don't change over time, are generally thicker (to solid) at room temperatures. Darker oils have junk in them (making them dark, THC is pale) that gets burned on the heater eventually clogging it killing the cart (from one to several grams, depending). You want thicker, lighter oils that evaporate cleaning off a bit of foil when heated by a lighter. Wax and budders don't matter much, it's going to be melted before we can use it anyway.

That 'clean evaporation test' is a key, IMO.

I suggest a couple spare 2.4s with your purchase, trust me you'll use them. Almost all the carts I use are 2.4s (I have maybe a dozen in rotation right now?). I consider myself a fairly experienced user, I've done 6 or 8 1.5s over time. All but one have become chronic leakers, that one has a burnt oil taste but still vapes well (no leaks yet). I've got a couple unused ones in the box (along with some higher Ohm values for HV use), not sure if I'll ever use them. IMO a couple hits on the 2.4s are just a potent as a fat one from a 1.5 and I'm in no big rush.

Your call.

You're welcome. Good luck.

OF

Well, thats good to know they actually live up to what the stated average hit range. I know alot of companies tend to just throw out numbers just to sell you a product.
Im going to have to do the foil test once I make my batch up. I know it evaporates away cleanly off of a safety pin, but I imagine foil will give me a better idea of the quality.

Alright OF, Ill take your advice. You seem to be a knowledgeable individual. Just had to put it into terms of your experience with the 1.5's for me to understand completly.
But this brings me to my next question, due to my budget, Im limited to a 5 pack, I know that PV sells their single carts for 10 apiece, and D9 sells theirs for like 12-13 a piece, (yes, Im broke enough to worry about 2-3 extra a piece) but being as Im a southern individual, Im mildly worried that PV would take forever to deliver, being as its a Canadian company.
In your experience, would you say PV has a decent delivery time?

Thanks again man.

Alright, you seem to be a fairly knowledgeable individual, a

Cheddartoes,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Alright OF, Ill take your advice. You seem to be a knowledgeable individual. Just had to put it into terms of your experience with the 1.5's for me to understand completly.

OF is Da Man!
He got me dialed in as well.
His advise is key!

ataxian,

OF

In your experience, would you say PV has a decent delivery time?

Thanks again man.

Yes, absolutely. I'm a big fan. PV has been a strong supporter of this forum and the Omicron and then Persei from the very beginning. First place you could buy V1 Omicrons IIRC, I got my first pair there 'back when'. Very fast shipping (no customs or tax issues in several purchases). If you can justify the total, $130 total (O-Phos plus $40) you can get to free shipping. Be sure to order a few 'doob tubes' from them if you go that way, great way to store loaded carts and other hemp related stuff as they are smell proof.

OTOH, it looks like KIL wants to trade you his spare unit for mere money?

You're welcome, best wishes.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
3.4 BATTERIES and a 2.5 cart and .675 wax = no worries!
One PERSEI = CART
One PERSEI = DAB

THEY BOTH PERFORM WELL!

ataxian,
Reactions: OF

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Take some vids at today's gathering! That way us non west coast cats can feel like we were there too. :D

kindbeats,
Reactions: Darb

Cheddartoes

Yes, absolutely. I'm a big fan. PV has been a strong supporter of this forum and the Omicron and then Persei from the very beginning. First place you could buy V1 Omicrons IIRC, I got my first pair there 'back when'. Very fast shipping (no customs or tax issues in several purchases). If you can justify the total, $130 total (O-Phos plus $40) you can get to free shipping. Be sure to order a few 'doob tubes' from them if you go that way, great way to store loaded carts and other hemp related stuff as they are smell proof.

OTOH, it looks like KIL wants to trade you his spare unit for mere money?

You're welcome, best wishes.

OF

Sweet tits. I can manage that. I was just mildly worried about that it'd take forever to arrive here. About to move across the US, didnt want to order it before I left, and it not get here till after Im gone.
I was eyeballin' the doob tubes, but my local headshop has something similar for joints, and Ive got a half dozen of those already. Lol.

And I thank KIL for his offer, but Im one of those guys that likes the satisfaction of unwrapping something brand new.

Thanks again, OF. Been a great help.

SlideOrDie

So I guess you could say I just jumped on the AW IMR bandwagon pretty hard with 4 sets and a couple 7.4v Herc carts :D

November please hurry!

SlideOrDie

I predict you will thank yourself over and over and over.....

OF

More like I'll have to thank you, OF, since I probably wouldn't have splurged on the 4 sets of AW IMR's if it weren't for your constant praise in regards to their performance. I don't think a week has gone by where I haven't heard something great about them.

The OEM charger that comes with the Persei is ok for charging the AW IMR's, correct? It won't overcharge them like D9 warns you not to do on their website?

As for over discharging them, has anyone ruined their batteries like this by running them really low?

I apologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure I take good care of my batteries.

SlideOrDie,

OF

The OEM charger that comes with the Persei is ok for charging the AW IMR's, correct? It won't overcharge them like D9 warns you not to do on their website?

As for over discharging them, has anyone ruined their batteries like this by running them really low?

Yes, I used mine a time or two but put it (actually them, I have two...) away and use my WF-188 for 'everything'. Since there's no built in protection for overcharging I'm in the habit of taking them out when charged, even though I've measured the charger and it seems safe. We work t hose poor little guys hard, best to take the best care possible elsewhere as I see it. "Ridden hard and put up wet" ain't good for horses or batteries.......or people.

I think the same logic applies to discharge. They can take deep discharges with no/very small ill effects. When they get weak I swap 'em out for both reasons (battery protection and better vaping). The big danger I see is in dual battery use (like Persei on HV). If you screw up and put a fresh one in with a weak one (easy enough to do if you goof up charging one battery), the fully charged one can try to charge the weak on backwards.......which can be fatal as understand it. I tend to be a hawk on keeping them in pairs for use in such applications.

No need to apologize, or thank me yet again, helping each other out is the idea here, right? IMO it's neat the way we collectively work out the 'hot tips' like grind fine, cure well, load small and often, use top quality well charged batteries, shake between hits and so on. Reminding each other and the new guys that happen along is part of that most useful process. That said, you're welcome (of course). Thanks for doing so.

Best wishes, get your stash ready, (more) serious vaping coming......

OF

MaDsCiEnTiSt22

I was at sparc yesterday from 3-3:30 and no demo was to be found.... I wanted to buy carts and tips... What a bummer....

MaDsCiEnTiSt22,

559stonerr

Don't forget guys tomorrow 3-6pm at Sparc San Francisco meet and greet.
I wish I would had seen this yesterday! I was actually at sparc yesterday around 4. Got 2g of some green dragon taffy. It hits nice! Unfortunately I do not live in sf. But always make sure to go to SPARC for wax.

559stonerr,

MaDsCiEnTiSt22

I wish I would had seen this yesterday! I was actually at sparc yesterday around 4. Got 2g of some green dragon taffy. It hits nice! Unfortunately I do not live in sf. But always make sure to go to SPARC for wax.

Same here, I live in the Central Valley and made the drive to sparc to get oils etc.... But I really wanted to demo different ohm carts and the iris and Hercules, heck if I would have demoed them I would have pre-ordered both today. I needed carts etc..... Maybe I'll have better luck next time because it is cool that you can demo products....

MaDsCiEnTiSt22,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
More like I'll have to thank you, OF, since I probably wouldn't have splurged on the 4 sets of AW IMR's if it weren't for your constant praise in regards to their performance. I don't think a week has gone by where I haven't heard something great about them.

I apologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure I take good care of my batteries.
agree on the WF-188 charger and rest of OF advice. just wanted to add that you shouldn't charge or use them while "hot". give 'em 10-15 min. before putting them in charger or persei. my two cents

wish i coulda made it down to sparc. hope you guys had fun

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: OF
Top Bottom