"the old days" what did you puff before mmj?

djonkoman

that was my forst year but no I'm wiser :lol:
I'm the kind of person that, if I find something I find interesting/start a new hobbie, I will keep reading about it and even learn things I don't really need(like things about indoorgrowing, since I'm the only grower among my friends I sometimes get questions and they're mostly interested in indoorgrowing, so I looked some things up about ibdoor too so that I could answer their questions, they call me the weedencyclopedia :p )
only this year I had some bad luck and a failed experiment(dry but sunny spring, snails were very hungry, and even if things had gone better it still wouldn't be a good harvest since this summer we've only had rain and louzy weather, so not the sun for nice big buds and even higher risk on budrot with the humidity)

that strain, typhoon it's called, is bred for toughness/hardiness, that breeder sows them very close so that the strongest survive, he doesn't have to worry about plants not surviving in the beginning of the season since he sows straight outoor, and he has good results with it, everyone has their methods
and every year he also has plants that come up by themselves on his spots

djonkoman,

poonman

Yes , Thanx for sparking the good memories of my youth PD .
RE : Paraquat
Do you remember the politics behind it and how; only when American kids of the Senators and
Congressmen were getting sick or worse , did they ban it from use as a deterrent ?

And yes the Hash , I'm not sure if it has been mentioned .
Blonde Lebanese 70's and 80's
Green Moroccan 70's and 80's
Red ??? ( help ) 70's and 80's
Black Afhgan/Pakistan/Indian 80's with the " Gold Seal "
( few $ more ,but knocked the other hash right off the market )

Memories can be tricky sometimes .
If we could ONLY do a Pepsi/Challenge of the best weeds back then to the current buds .
I'm still pretty sure the " Young-uns " have it so good today !
Progress !

Red ??? Help .

poonman,

Smokey

Cloud Master
Sinsemilla for the win, seriously. I don't care if the potency is practically equal, having to pick all the seeds from an harvest is a pain in the arse, a small pain in the arse obviously, but since I have the opportunity to select the plants, I'll always prefer a non seedy herb. If I need seeds, I simply pollinate only a lower branch or so. Pure, flowery, sticky sinsemilla...yumm. An harvest with unwanted seeds=mistake, to me...it's something you just don't want.

:2c:

Smokey,

djonkoman

poonman said:
Do you remember the politics behind it and how; only when American kids of the Senators and
Congressmen were getting sick or worse , did they ban it from use as a deterrent ?

If we could ONLY do a Pepsi/Challenge of the best weeds back then to the current buds .
Progress !

Red ??? Help .

wasn't around back then but have heard stories, the combination with red wich was hash that I have heard was red libanon

@smokey: no you don't wan't unwanted seeds :lol:
wanted seeds are a different story tough

djonkoman,

Bodhi Diesel

Cannabis Snob
I first tasted Cannabis at the young age of 12 in 1960. I lived 22 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Mexican weed was readily available, plentiful and comparably cheap. $10 would get you "4 fingers" in a baggie. Pounds were $150-$200. Because of my neighborhood connections I was able to smoke "better than average" weed from Michoacan, Guerrero and Oaxaca occasionally.

Throughout the early 70's I was smoking Colombian, Panamanian, Laotian, Thai and Nepalese as well as Hash from Lebanon (red and blonde), Nepal and Afghanistan. In the late 70's friends in NorCal started growing strains from Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan and Northern India.

I started growing full time in 1980 and have never stopped.

Bodhi Diesel,

poonman

Yes ,
Red Nepalese for the win Alex .Thanx
I also remember Red Cherry oil .

Oh yes ,
Oaxacan , right up there with the Colombian Gold .

@ Smokey
No not the seeds part ,
I meant the " High quality " .
Today's weed is more potent and should always be without seeds for purchase . imo
And did I read your post correctly , you are still growing Sincemilla or a hybrid form of it ?

poonman,

poonman

Welcome Bodhi Diesel ,
You also sparked some good memories for me .
Panamanian.......

and yes the Thai Sticks
They came wrapped by thread .
Buds tied to a stick and shipped over ....Lol....but really freakin potent and sweet tasting !
"Buds on a stick " coming to a Fair-ground near you !!!

Anymore ???

poonman,

Sour Deez

poonman said:

Progress !

Red ??? Help .

Panama Red?
I wasnt around but i hear that was popular back in the 70s

Sour Deez,

Smokey

Cloud Master
Sinsemilla isn't a strain, it means "without seeds". No pollination involved.

Smokey,
In the early to mid 90's in BC, the staples were:

Skunk #1
Northern Lights #5
Big Bud
Purple Indica

Not long after Blueberry and Hashplant became just as common...

This was before the whole "Kush" term took over. Frankly I think this is the most overused
word I hear nowadays. Most people just use it as a selling point, and they would not know
truely great stuff if it smacked them in the head...

More people need to focus on proper flushing and curing then making up new names.

On a related note, I sampled some old school skunk #1 recently and the taste sure took me back
to days of hair metal and girls in tight tight pants....

manwiththeplan,

los

manwiththeplan said:
More people need to focus on proper flushing and curing then making up new names.

i agree a 110% and dont forget a good manicure, a proper flush, cure and manicure make a whole lot of difference imo.

los,

poonman

manwiththeplan said:
This was before the whole "Kush" term took over. Frankly I think this is the most overused
word I hear nowadays. Most people just use it as a selling point, and they would not know
truely great stuff if it smacked them in the head...

I totally agree with that @mwtp ,
There are so many strains out there these days , which is a good thing when done properly .
Although I can smell/taste the differences in the strains when smoking/vaping .
But I honestly can't taste fruity or citrusy in the "Fruit Strains" ....Blueberry,watermelon,lemon skunk

All I know , is there's only one true litmus test .
Yourself . And you can't fool yourself into liking anything because someone else said so .

Finally ;
What is your definition of " Kush " ?

poonman,
Well, back in the day we used to have a Afgani strain called "Hindu Kush"
I assume the beans came from the region it was grown. Not bad smoke, but
nothing to write home about.

I heard someone say Kush is slang for "any grass that get you there in 2 tokes"
Well if thats the case, then I guess "Kush" is in the eye of the beholder for I know
lots of guys who's "Kush" is my shwagg.

I noticed a few years ago in the major magazines the Bubba kush, master kush, kushy mckuch, ect, ect
Now all the seed breeders know it will sell if theres a "Kush" in the name...

I dunno, just my take

But "Kush" for me is some grade A, well grown, well flushed, manicured, sweet smelling, prefectly cured smoke that gets me there in a way that most cant... But if thats the case, well, Ive been smoking kush before kush was kush... LOL

manwiththeplan,

poonman

manwiththeplan said:
But "Kush" for me is some grade A, well grown, well flushed, manicured, sweet smelling, prefectly cured smoke that gets me there in a way that most cant... But if thats the case, well, Ive been smoking kush before kush was kush... LOL

Agreed 100 % .
I also thought Good Kush had to be an" indoor "grow .
But then you mentioned " Hindu Kush " , which I'm guessing is grown outdoors .
And yes , the area where the Kush was grown came before it . ie BC Kush .
Thanx for the feedback .

poonman,

Sour Deez

"kush" to me is a hard hitting indica, perfect night time smoke. Most kushes generally have the same bud structure so its pretty easy to tell.

Sour Deez,

treecityrnd

"Kush" is an base strain/parent that originated in the Hindu Kush mountains. It's a short, bushy, indica dominate plant but very stable for crossing/breeding. Usually harsher then most sativas and hashy tasting, all real kushs will have a similar "kush" smell IMO. I believe OG (which is "ocean grown") was a Hindu x Chemdawg '91 cross. Master Kush is my favorite by far, followed by a local favorite George W. Kush (afgani 1 x Hindu). GW Kush is one of the heaviest indicas I've ever used.

I think place of growth would only matter for OG. If its not grown in its original outdoor home in Cali, it ain't OG. Part of the magic is the salty ocean breeze! Any seed labeled OG grown indoors isn't true OG IMO. Other Kushs grow best in humid, outdoor conditions but it is not a requirement for being a kush.

It also got its rep because around 2008 US Congressman Mark Kirk, a Republican from Illinois, introduced legislation to increase the penalties for selling kush (The High-Potency Marijuana Sentencing Enhancement Act of 2009 (H.R. 2848)). It would have would increase the penalties for the possession, manufacture, etc. to maximum fines of $1 million for an individual with a maximum sentence of 25 years. His famous quote is because some high grade medicines cost up to $500 an oz. (which just happen to include kush's, but of course diesels and others can easily fit this category) then "if you can make as much money selling pot as cocaine, you should face the same penalties."

Maybe he was just upset because his last name sounds so much like Kush and got teased in high school. Kids can be so cruel... ;)

treecityrnd,
Reactions: underdog

weedemon

enthusiast
who's selling an oz of coke for only 500? lol

btw interesting about the OG part. I always though OG was a strain just like any other.

I heard tokin daily talking about OG varieties, and how to him they always come with a fresh herb/cillantro/coriander plant aroma. He described it as a strain, but know knows. maybe it's your explanation. makes sense too.

thansk for sharing :)

I also like Master kush best of the kush strains. I remmeber hearing about MK way way way before "kush" exploded on the scene i think of MK as one of the original old school kush strains.

weedemon,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
:lol: after seeing OG everywhere and just knowing it's an Americanism but never knowing what it meant, a few months ago I Googled it and came up with 'Original Gangster'. I just assumed this applied to Kush as well- it wouldn't have surprised me. Much prefer the peaceful connotations of 'ocean grown'. Not a strain or term that I hear that often around here though.

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
I have also heard of OG and thought it naturally meant original gangsta. Ocean grown also sounds better to me :p

weedemon,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
It's actually bit of a misnomer. Should be called 'Coastal Kush'. Has a better ring too it too :p

WatTyler,

poonman

Thank you for the in-depth explanation treecity .
Ditto on the OG , Master , and have you heard of "Rockstar" Kush ?
They're all solid nugs thru the middle with very little stems to throw out .
I also have never heard of the " ocean grown " term . I prefer that too .
And it sounds like that is grown outdoors ?

I have always thought the best weed is grown indoors .....Always .
Because it is climate-controlled and pest/vermin controlled .
I'm pretty sure the OG , MK , RK , PK that I've been getting is indoor grown .

I would luv to see pics of good outdoor grown Kush .
You can see my pics on another thread ....My Stash by pappy .

The things you learn on FC . :)

poonman,

eddyfrancis

OG family tree - not sure how true this is, lots of controversy on the OG Kush.

"In late '93 John from Grass Valley Ca. got the Chem Dog cut. He shared it with me, Jerry(cowboy) from Dibble Creek Ca. and Harold(Putz) from Sunset Beach Ca. Putz had a male he called the secret ingredient. It was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush. Putz bred the secret ingredient to the Chem Dog. The buds that came out of this cross were going around So. L.A. county in '95. Someone told Putz that Kush must be so good because it was mountain grown. Putz laughed and told him "this Kush is Ocean Grown Kush bro". The tag stuck and it became known as OG Kush."

eddyfrancis,

lwien

poonman said:

Now THAT brings back memories of the very first time I ever got high.

In 1969-1970, I was in the Air Force stationed in Peshawar Pakistan at a small Intel base working as a Radio Intercept Analyst (Cryptographer). We intercepted both Chinese and Russian radar, voice, video and telemetry communications.

Anyway, that part of the world was much different back then so we were able to do things that could NOT be done today. Got a one week leave so a buddy of mine and myself put on our civies and decided to hitchhike from Peshawar, Pakistan to Kabul, Afghanistan with a quick stop at the Khyber Pass to pick up some hash directly from the source. It was an amazing experience. We went to where they actually made it. There were these blocks of hash (about the size of those huge Dark Chocolate Hershey bars that are used for cooking). They were stacked cross-wise in stacks that were about 3 feet high and there were about 20 of these stacks. They would take each bar after it was sun baked, put a gold stamp on it and wrap it up in a thin burlap material for shipping.

We used to smoke it back in our barracks by emptying out a filtered cigarette, shaving or breaking off small pieces of hash and mixing it into the tobacco and reloading the cigarette.

Ah, great memories.........thanks poon. :)

lwien,

poonman

Thanx Iwien for your story of your very interesting past .
I was salivating as I read it ...maybe it was the chocolate ref .
Memories and words from the Past .....burlap . Lol
Yes , I had the opportunity to see those large slabs up close with the Gold Seal . ( in Toronto )
I would always request a piece cut away from the Gold Seal part ....toxin reasons .

Thank you for giving us that part of your experience in uniformed life .

Anymore " Blasts from the Past " ?

poonman,
Top Bottom