The NEWS !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Kinda sounds like when we took the land away from the Native Americans back in history. They took the best land and gave the Native Americans a little bit of shit land. A little history lesson.

40d. Life on the Reservations
00000917.jpg

National Archives
Geronimo (on the right) and his son waiting for a train that transported them and other Apache prisoners to Florida, in 1886.
After being forced off their native lands, many American Indians found life to be most difficult. Beginning in the first half of the 19th century, federal policy dictated that certain tribes be confined to fixed land plots to continue their traditional ways of life.

The problems with this approach were manifold. Besides the moral issue of depriving a people of life on their historic land, many economic issues plagued the reservation. Nomadic tribes lost their entire means of subsistence by being constricted to a defined area. Farmers found themselves with land unsuitable for agriculture. Many lacked the know-how to implement complex irrigation systems. Hostile tribes were often forced into the same proximity. The results were disastrous.

The Dawes Act
Faced with disease, alcoholism, and despair on the RESERVATIONS, federal officials changed directions with the DAWES SEVERALTY ACT of 1887. Each Native American family was offered 160 acres of tribal land to own outright. Although the land could not be sold for 25 years, these new land owners could farm it for profit like other farmers in the West.

00001941.jpg

Electronic Text Center, University of Virginia
A wedding, such as that of Kitty Medicine-Tail and Bear-Goes-to-the-Other-Ground at Crow Indian School in 1896, was just one of many civil proceedings confusing for government officials because of the many ways in which native Americans received English-language names.
Congress hoped that this system would end the dependency of the tribes on the federal government, enable Indians to become individually prosperous, and assimilate the Indians into mainstream American life. After 25 years, participants would become American citizens.

The Dawes Act was widely resisted. Tribal leaders foretold the end of their ancient folkways and a further loss of communal land. When individuals did attempt this new way of life, they were often unsuccessful. Farming the West takes considerable expertise. Lacking this knowledge, many were still dependent upon the government for assistance.

Many 19th century Americans saw the Dawes Act as a way to "civilize" the Native Americans. Visiting missionaries attempted to convert the Indians to Christianity, although they found few new believers.

"Americanizing" the Indians
Land not allotted to individual landholders was sold to railroad companies and settlers from the East. The proceeds were used to set up schools to teach the reading and writing of English. Native American children were required to attend the established reservation school. Failure to attend would result in a visit by a truant officer who could enter the home accompanied by police to search for the absent student. Some parents felt resistance to "white man education" was a matter of honor.

In addition to disregarding tribal languages and religions, schools often forced the pupils to dress like eastern Americans. They were given shorter haircuts. Even the core of individual identity — one's name — was changed to "AMERICANIZE" the children. These practices often led to further tribal divisions. Each tribe had those who were friendly to American "assistance" and those who were hostile. Friends were turned into enemies.

The Dawes Act was an unmitigated disaster for tribal units. In 1900, land held by Native American tribes was half that of 1880. Land holdings continued to dwindle in the early 20th century. When the Dawes Act was repealed in 1934, alcoholism, poverty, illiteracy, and suicide rates were higher for Native Americans than any other ethnic group in the United States. As America grew to the status of a world power, the first Americans were reduced to hopelessness.

Last edited:

mestizo

It makes me so sick when my Christian friends say I should support Israel. Why the fuck should I? Would Jesus? I doubt it.
Not all Christians agree with that view, to name a couple, amillennialists, and reformed don't see Israel as the chosen people.

Edit: most Calvinist too.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There are 4300 religions in the world. Approx Populations just the first 10
Christianity 2.1 Billion
Islam. 1.3 Billion
Nonreligious 1.1 Billion. Agnostic/ Atheist
Hinduism. 900 Million
Chineese Traditional religion 394 Million
Busdism. 376 Million
Primal Indegenous 300. Million
African traditional and Diasporic 100 Million
Sikhism. 23 Million
Juche. 19 Million

Edit: Judaism has 14 Million. Probably would have had many more, if not for the Holocost.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Not all Christians agree with that view, to name a couple, amillennialists, and reformed don't see Israel as the chosen people.

Edit: most Calvinist too.
Israel is made of ashkenazi white-skinned european jews, and jesus would most logically have been a dark-skinned palastinean jew. As dark-skinned palastinean jews are regarded to be lower than both hamas muslims and camel dung, I can't see jesus agreeing with the current state of affairs over there either.

cawshook

Solod out.
And people say it's money that's the root of all evil.
It is, people just use religion as a tool. Most of these religions are beautiful if understood and applied correctly, and "taken with a grain of salt" (not the best term I'm looking for, but best I can think of right now). I myself dont believe, but I've seen people that really embrace peace within themselves through religion, and its a really beautiful thing. when you see people that can let go of everything and put it all in gods hands, just learning to appreciate the little things, and just have faith during hard times. Its beautiful the state of mind that they're in.
I've been to churches and mosques and always felt a feeling of positive energy there like the second I walked in.

lwien

I've been to churches and mosques and always felt a feeling of positive energy there like the second I walked in.

Yeah. I was born Jewish but if I had to classify myself now, I'd say I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheism, but at times, when attending services at either a Synagogue or a Church (which both happens rarely), I sometimes surprisingly find myself getting a bit teary eyed with emotion. Doesn't matter if I'm at a Bar Mitzvah at a small Synagogue or at a midnight Christmas mass at a large Catholic Church. The feeling is the same. Not quite sure where all that comes from. Kinda makes me go.............hmmmmm:hmm:.

I have yet to visit a Mosque which I would really like to do.

Last edited:

mestizo

Israel is made of ashkenazi white-skinned european jews, and jesus would most logically have been a dark-skinned palastinean jew. As dark-skinned palastinean jews are regarded to be lower than both hamas muslims and camel dung, I can't see jesus agreeing with the current state of affairs over there either.
True to that, just the way he didn't agree with the political and religious leaders of His time.

Chill Dude

Then would you not feel the same positive energy and serenity in a Synagogue? Based on your previous posts, I would say that you probably wouldn't set foot in a Synagogue Lol...

I have to agree with Caligula on this one. Religion may not be the root of ALL evil, but it is certainly true that religious fundamentalism and extremism are the root of the problem in the Middle East and terrorism throughout the world. IMO, money falls a distant second to religion as the cause of evil in the world.

Although I'm basically Agnostic, I have deep respect for people of faith. If it gives them comfort, peace and helps them through life's many challenges...I'm all for it. Karl Marx once stated " Religion is just an opiate for the masses". And in my view, that's not such a bad thing. Science cannot 100% prove or disprove the existence of God. That's why it's called FAITH and that's why I'm Agnostic...

There are Atheists, Agnostics and hundreds of religions. They can't all be right, that's why I don't spend too much time trying to figure it out. It's exhausting LOL...

cawshook

Solod out.
Then would you not feel the same positive energy and serenity in a Synagogue? Based on your previous posts, I would say that you probably wouldn't set foot in a Synagogue Lol...

I have to agree with Caligula on this one. Religion may not be the root of ALL evil, but it is certainly true that religious fundamentalism and extremism are the root of the problem in the Middle East and terrorism throughout the world. IMO, money falls a distant second to religion as the cause of evil in the world.

Although I'm basically Agnostic, I have deep respect for people of faith. If it gives them comfort, peace and helps them through life's many challenges...I'm all for it. Karl Marx once stated " Religion is just an opiate for the masses". And in my view, that's not such a bad thing. Science cannot 100% prove or disprove the existence of God. That's why it's called FAITH and that's why I'm Agnostic...

There are Atheists, Agnostics and hundreds of religions. They can't all be right, that's why I don't spend too much time trying to figure it out. It's exhausting LOL...
I never had the opportunity. I have nothing against the Jewish religion. I actually find myself defending them when I'm among ignorant muslims. don't confuse what I'm saying. I'm against stripping Palestinians of their land and killing them in the name of religion, I'm not against people practicing the Jewish religion. I've educated myself about all of the major religions. extremism is arising through their feeling of lack of power thanks to poverty and oppression by the more wealthy. Like I said, living in the middle east I saw the good and bad side of Christians, Muslims and Jews. ALL three religions produced fundamentalists overs there.

Agree about the second part, but I think its important to learn about other religions to better understand other people.

grokit

well-worn member
They can't all be right
They're either all right or they're all wrong, that's how I see it even if it makes no sense :whoa:
But seriously, this is why I appreciate the bahai's approach to spirituality, they focus on general areas of positive agreement between different religions rather than pick fights over minute differences.

Last edited:

lwien

They're either all right or they're all wrong, that's how I see it even if it makes no sense :whoa:
But seriously, this is why I appreciate the bahai's approach to spirituality, they focus on the large areas of positive agreement between different religions rather than pick fights over minute differences.

This is kinda interesting:

http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

Caligula

Maximus
One more then they're even? Not sure how that eye for an eye thing works. Also wanted to point out that it's a US news source.

Caligula,

cawshook

Solod out.
There is no winner here bro. Only losers. That was one Palestinian kid who happened to hold a US passport and have his attack caught on camera, only one among thousands. Otherwise, you wouldn't see it on CNN.

Caligula

Maximus
A news media outlet wouldn't cover a story without substantiated documentation? Sounds reasonable.

Also, I see cops beating the shit out of our own citizens on the news almost daily. That kid could have gotten a similar ass whooping by the police in almost any US city just for being brown and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seems like cops being cops to me?

Here's a question though. I see the Israeli government is condemning these acts (kid who was burned and murdered) and are stating they will investigate and find/prosecute those who did it. How often do the PNA, PLO and Hamas do that in the reverse for captured/murdered Israelis?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom