The MMA Discussion Dojo

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Item 1A and 1B completed - burped the name and built a baby crib that did require my power tools....

Looking to complete item 2 - Maybe I'll give it to James Toney after the Couture fight :brow:

WEC on Wednesday is gonna be awesome - Benavidez/Cruz has fight of the year written all over it!

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
+1 to the WEC being an exciting event. I am even extra stoked as one of my buddies will be fighting on the undercard. Mackens 'Da Menace' Semerzier. I have commentated on MANY of Macks fights from when he made his Ammy debut, I was there calling his pro debut (and several other of his ammy and pro cards) The only thing is, this might be do or die for Mackens as I believe he signed a 3 fight deal with WEC.
1st fight he shocked the world and subbed the #1 ranked 145er at the time - Wagnney Fabiano
2nd fight he lost to the same guy who beat the guy he will be fighting this Wednesday - Deividas Taurosevicius
This 3rd fight will be especially interesting. He is fighting Javier 'Showtime' Vasquez. If you recall correctly, this is the same guy who (finally) retired Jens Pulver with a SICK armbar. (I dont see him subbing Mack, as his BJJ is solid - I mean cmon, you subbed one of the best in the world)

This will be his moment of truth to determine if he remains in the mix of the big boys.

Ill tell you what though. Mack has impressed me NUMEROUS times. He was undefeated as an ammy, and thus far his only loss is to (arguably) one of the best up and comers in the world. (Not to mention he took him to decision - just got grounded out)
WAR MACKENS!

*EDIT OF THE EDIT*

I take back my comment of 'Jens Pulver retiring' comment. I guess I too was fooled by the tears he shed in the cage during this loss. It appears that he went to another organization and got choked out again.
Sad...

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Mackens is the truth, I've been following him since the Wagney fight. The funny thing is, when he started, they listed his strengths as "striking" so I was stunned to see him finish with a sub.

Mackens trains out with Miguel Torres right? I recall seeing some training sessions of those two guys beating the snot out of each other.

Javi Vazquez is from my neck of the woods so I'll be cheering him on. I think this fight is a toss up but I always hoot for the home town boy. Good luck with your boy AG, hopefully we get a great, technical, active grappling match between the two.

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
He is a SOLID striker, and I believe he recently earned his brown belt in BJJ as well. He was training with Torres earlier, but as of late he was at Jeff Currans school prepping for this upcoming fight. Its nice to see one of your 'own' branch out from a phenominal school to some of the 'big hitters' in this game.

Now all Antwain has to do is muster up a couple more victories on Strikefarce... Im seeing more and more talent coming out of VA here lately. :)

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
That's awesome, nice to meet some knowledgeable fans out there. Are you referring to Antwain Britt? I'm very, very surprised Feijao beat him. It seemed like the Juggernaut was on a ROLL. The Calvacante/Lawal fight should be pretty interesting. I'd really like to see Gegard get back in there, I really like the way that man fights. If he can bring up his TDD, the guy can be something special. I love his ground n pound, the way he uses straight punches instead of the typical winging, haymakers.

Who do you have in the Cruz/Benvidez fight? Cruz looks like a monster size wise and took the first fight. I don't think Benavidez has made the necessary adjustments but that's why the fight em right? The way Joseph looked against Torres, it would be hard to bet against him but I just feel like Cruz is way too big for him. Could be the match that drops JoBe to 125lbs and leaving the door open for Faber's 135 run.

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Yup, Im talking about Antwain :)
Way too cool of a guy - in fact, when I saw him a while back before an EFC (local promo out of here) he had just had a new BJJ Gi (Kimono) made for him out of hemp. It was to date the only purple gi I have ever seen (way too cool)

Cruz and Benavidez... Hmmmmmm thats a really tough one to call. I have been a Benny-V fan ever since I first saw him fight (and the fact that he sorta resembles a mini Urijah) but Domino... That boy is on a terror. His only loss is to Faber, so Benny-V has a chance to re-re-redeem that loss for his teammate.

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
AG - damn, what a card last night!!!!!!!!! Too bad we didn't see the Mackens/Javi matchup but the rest of the card was absolutely awesome. 135lb for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
stonemonkey55 said:
AG - damn, what a card last night!!!!!!!!! Too bad we didn't see the Mackens/Javi matchup but the rest of the card was absolutely awesome. 135lb for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!! You Got that right!!

The Pettis/Roller fight was awesome and Im glad that it didnt go to the judges cause I think it could have very easily gone either way. Besides, it was almost reminiscent of the Silva/Sonnen(R) fight with that sick ending.

I will say that I definitely agree with how the judges scored the Cruz/Benavidez fight. It would have pissed me off (slightly) if they had given it to Benny-V. Im of the mentality that you have to BEAT the champion in order to BE the champion. (Hence why I stuck by Machida/Rua I)

All in all some damned good fights. Sadly, Mackens got subbed last night. From what I read, that guys ground game was just off the chart.

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
That Roller/Pettis fight was AWESOME. Silva could learn a few things from Pettis when it comes to takedown defense. Roller had some good stand up, he surprised me with how easily he hit Pettis but Pettis surprised me even more with his TDD. One thing I noticed about Pettis, and this goes for Junior Dos Santos too, is that these guys, as brilliant as their offensive striking is, are REALLY REALLY bad when it comes to striking defense.

Mendes/Swanson went as expected. Mendes is a fucking beast, reminds me of a little Matt Hughes when Matt was still the dominant welterweight. He looked to be too fast for Cub, everytime Cub countered, he was swinging at the air.

I was picking Bart P to lose as well, good to see that he got a decisive win instead of his usual (suspect) split decisions.

Cruz/Benny wow, WOW!!!!!!!!!!! dude, watching the 135 class is really, really exciting for me. Just when I thought the heavyweight division was getting better, after watching the 135s, I realized how big the gap in skill really is. These guys had more gas in the tank in the 5 round than Carwin has in him at the start of the fight. ;)

I really wish we got to see the undercard. Javier Vazquez has been training with some guys in my area that have helped with his wrestling. His JJ was already off the charts but now he doesnt always have to work off his back with his new wrestling. I like Mackens a lot and I hope the WEC keeps him around. With a little more wrestling, I think he takes the Deividas Taurosevicius in a rematch.

Now for the future Cant wait to see the Souza/Kennedy fight. Kennedy got that same belief in himself like Chael does so he really believes he can hang on the floor with Jacare Who you taking? What about Feijao/King Mo?

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
stonemonkey55 said:
AG where you at? Strikeforce tomorrow! I love MMA!
Crap... Looks like I might have to 'order Showtime for the weekend' again.
MMA addiction makes me do bad things sometimes.

I think my cable company is starting to get pissed at me :p

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Wow, upset city this weekend. I think the real "loser" of the evening is once again the reffing. John Shorley should be SHOT! Standing up Lashley (who in my opinion, was gonna lose anyways) from mount to check on a cut, then restarting the fight on the feet, is just ridiculous. Then there was the tentativeness in the officiating in the Gurgel/Noons match. It is disgusting seeing poorly train refs with these guys lives in their hands.

Props to Jacare tho, very impressive boxing.

stonemonkey55,

jawsh

Good to see some MMA fans on FC!!

Saw strikeforce on Saturday. The King Mo fight was awesome!

As for Jacare... I was very impressed with his boxing and overall improvements as an all around fighter.

Can't wait for UFC 118 this weekend!!

jawsh,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Meh, Im kinda torn on this weekends UFC. I just bought the Silva/Sonnen fight at the beginning of this month, and its still not over. I (loosely) promised the wife that I would only order ONE a month as I was out of control for some time. (Especially when Pride and Affliction were afloat)

Sure there is alot of trash talk but sadly, it looks like the best part of the fight card is on the undercard. At least the fights that captivate my interest.

I mean c'mon! We have the one time WEC champ to TUF flopout Gabe 'Godzilla' Ruediger actually fighting in the UFC when we once thought he never would again! (AND hes fighting Joe Lauzon nonetheless)

I guess there are some interesting matches on the main card. Just not enough of an interest generator to have me fork out another 50 bucks. :(

AGBeer,

Pappy

shmaporist
I'm not predicting James Tony will take Randy Couture but Tony is a born fighter. If he happens to get his hands on Couture I feel sad for Randy. :| Tony may really beat "The Natural". :2c:

Pappy,

Chiefer

Medicine Man
Im super pist BJ Penn lost again i cant believe he cant beat Edgar. No offense to edgar hes not the best fighter bj has fought and or beat. Edgar just must be bjs Kryptonite. Bj Penn is the only fighter i get pist when he loses been my favorite fighter to watch sense i started watching 4-5 years ago. Oh and pappy Couture destroyed tony but i was with you on the fact if tony landed just 1 punch the fight could be over. The thing is he didnt land a single punch so game over:lol:

Chiefer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
BJ wasnt himself last night. In fact he looked like a 'pudgy eskimo' that showed no emotion whatsoever. I think Frankie got inside his head after the first fight.

I dont foresee him on a P4P list again anytime soon.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Pappy said:
Hey, I sure called that one! :o

LOL and I actually had to PAY on this fight!
Pay attention that is :p

I wonder who actually put $$$ on Jimbob last night. That had to have been expected to lose.
I shoulda set up as a bookie - Toney gets out of the FIRST ROUND you win. That would have been an easy bet to entice people with. LOL
Not a very fair bet though :p

AGBeer,

NoSmoke

Anyone see Charles Olivera on fight night last week? Wow that kid has lookef really really good in his last 2 fights, and in such short time too, he just fought on the Edgar Vs. Penn card. That kid along with Jon "bones" Jones are my two top prospects, even though Jones isn't a prospect anymore :lol: Cro cop by K.O. Round 3!!!

NoSmoke,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Now it the card Ive been waiting for!

I skipped the UFC card as I was working a live ammy event, and the card itself wasnt exactly my fav lineup. (Cmon, Mir and Mirko as the headliner?)

TONIGHT!!!! ALDO vs MANVEL THE ANVIL!
Damn this card is stacked too!

AND - In November my boy Mackens goes up against Cub Swanson. Tough fight and interesting matchup. Cant wait!

*EDIT* OH SHIT!! TKZ is on the card!!!! (The Korean Zombie)
This guy is my new favorite. After seeing his fight with Leonard Garcia, I became an instant fan.
*EDIT* *EDIT* Goddamn... Is there ever a WEC card that ISNT stacked?

AGBeer,

Pappy

shmaporist
Interesting how Mike Brown is declining. I like Aldo over Gamburyan but you all know my track record. :lol:

Pappy,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Aldo tooled the shit out of Manvel last night. Holy cow... Waited patiently, and struck.

The Cerrone/Varner fight was lackluster IMO. With all of the shit that Varner has been dealign with as of late he just didnt look like himself in that fight. Cerrone had his way with him.

AGBeer,

Pappy

shmaporist
AGBeer said:
Aldo tooled the shit out of Manvel last night. Holy cow... Waited patiently, and struck.
Can't help but remind me of featherweight Anderson Silva.

Pappy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Pappy said:
AGBeer said:
Can't help but remind me of featherweight Anderson Silva.

With good takedown defense... Geez that guy is scary. The only reason it went two rounds is cause Aldo is a thinking mans fighter but he couldve lit up manvell in the first round.

Varner just doesn't do well when people put it on him. I actually thought he was gonna beat Cerrone with his better boxing but Greg Jackson prepped Cerrone well, mixing the strikes with the takedowns.

Tkz might really be a zombie today, I was not expecting that from Roop at all.

I'm a huge fan of hominick, that was a text book display of how a simple 1-2 can win you a fight.

+1 for the Mongolian wolf!

stonemonkey55,
Top Bottom