The MMA Discussion Dojo

slain

Vapor Vision
Not sure if any of you guys are In to K1 but its on right now on HDNET. Glad I found this thread. Big MMA fan Dad got me into as a child. watched the ufc beginnings along with pride. I grew up doing Taekwondo ,wrestling, jiu jitsu. look foward to some mma convos

slain,

Plotinus

Man was it great to watch Koschek get obliterated by GSP. What a sub-par fighter and complete dickhead.

Plotinus,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I was happy to see Overeem win but I believe he faced one of the easier roads to the K1 finals. Not trying to undermine what he did cause I love that roid freak but it would been nice to see him fight someone like Schilt or Badr Hari.

Plotinus - agreed that it was quite enjoyable to watch Kos get his but I wouldn't call him a sub par fighter. I wish he were cause I would love to watch him get his butt kicked over and over and over again but asides from GSP, I don't see too many people that can beat Kos at 170.

That kneebar that Miller caught Oliveira was sooooo sick, the transition from ankle lock to kneebar was very, very slick.

stonemonkey55,

Plotinus

I think Koschek is an amazing athlete, insofar as he's powerful and has great stamina. And his strikes and wrestling are good. I think he's a lousy fighter, though, because he has no head-game. He's all id, he doesn't know how to overcome adversity and stay focused. TUF was a pretty good object lesson in that. Kos spends all this time trying to "mess with" other fighters, but it's so obvious that he only does it because he's so mentally weak.

Plotinus,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Final WEC tonite. I am a bit sad, this card looks awesome! Farewell WEC, my favorite organization from top to bottom.

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Thanks for the reminder! Sweet, got a snow day today AND some WEC tonight! :D :D :D :D

AGBeer,

Shiz

Plotinus said:
Man was it great to watch Koschek get obliterated by GSP. What a sub-par fighter and complete dickhead.
I felt the exact same way after watching this season of TUF. I used to like him though.

Pretty good scraps last night. LMAO @ Full Matrix. That's insane that he practices those.

Shiz,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Dude! What a way to close out 2010 and the absorption of the WEC into the UFC!

That Petis/Henderson fight was off the chain! And the Matrixesque flying head kick that Showtime LANDED was just sick...

I cant wait to see Showtime take on the winner of Edgar/Maynard. Honestly I would rather see an Edgar/Petis fight. Thats kind of like what Vick was conducting - only with Chihuahuas :p

AGBeer,

Pappy

shmaporist
^ Missed... Hope they replay.
GPS and Anderson Silva rock! A year form now, who knows?

Pappy,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
pkick.gif

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Amazing kick, another reason why you always keep your hands up. You really couldn't have asked for a more amazing card to end the WEC with.

Dominic Cruz's all around game is very impressive. He reminds me of a GSP that takes more chances. The way he sets up his double legs and knee taps are so friggin underrated. Scotty Jorgenson's college credentials are about the same as Kos and Cruz straight up dominated him standing and on the mat.

Damn, I will miss the WEC.

stonemonkey55,

Pappy

shmaporist
AGBeer said:
And the Matrixesque flying head kick that Showtime LANDED was just sick...
I'd think it's illegal to use the cage like that? Was it even mentioned that he catapulted off the cage with both feet?

Pappy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Pappy, check it out again, he actually uses one foot. Even more amazing is that he kicked Bendo with the same foot he used to propel off the cage. We used to practice similar kicks just for fun but we would always push off with the opposite leg that we kicked with. Just for kicks, I tried to do it the same way as Pettis and it is way harder the way he did it. He is an amazing athlete.

That kick was one of those iconic moments we will remember for the rest of our lives. It was bigger than any sports moment on sportscenter, it deserved to be on the national news. Never did I think I would witness a Jackie Chan moment in MMA.

The context of the moment made it even more amazing. That kick was THE defining moment in the closing moments of the 5th round that gave Pettis the win. I had Pettis winning the 5th due to superior striking but I could have seen the judges giving it to Bendo because he had top control for a decent amount of time in the 5th. It is only fitting that the WEC ended with that emphatic moment.

Per the MMA Unified Rules, you can push off of the cage but you cannot grab the fence.

stonemonkey55,

Pappy

shmaporist
stonemonkey55 said:
Pappy, check it out again, he actually uses one foot.
I'll bet he was a skateboarder. ;) He certainly defied gravity. Unfortunately I missed it and didn't DVR it so I'll have to catch the replay.

Pappy,

Pappy

shmaporist
^ That I saw but I want to see the whole card. It's on tonight followed by Pappy Hopkins vs Jean Pascal on HBO. I pick Hopkins in a decision.

Pappy,

Shiz

stonemonkey55 said:
Iconic moments we will remember for the rest of our lives. It was bigger than any sports moment on sportscenter, it deserved to be on the national news. Never did I think I would witness a Jackie Chan moment in MMA.
Reminds of when Anderson Silva got caught with that flying heel hook after destroying Chonan the whole time.

Shiz,

Pappy

shmaporist
Bingo SM, his hands were down. Incredible fight. Pettis is amazing! Has a swimmer's body. Can't wait to see him again.

Have to search my brain to think of a more classic Bernard Hopkin's boxing clinic. He won 10 of the 12 rounds (:2c:) including one he was knocked down in. He obviously didn't win that round but was. BH may be one of the best pound for pound in the annals of boxing. Another fighter with a swimmer's body.

Pappy,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Woot! Happy NYE and Happy UFCeve!

Tomorrow night is a VERY interesting night of fights, mostly because I am really torn on a majority of the fights.

Leben/Stann - Man, This is one of those fights where I dont want either guy to lose. Im afraid if Stann doesnt win/perform in this fight, he might get his walking papers. Ill go with Stann cause hes a fellow vet and a cool guy IRL (well, as cool as an officer can be...) :p

Vera/T. Silva - Another tough one to call. BOTH fighters were once touted as 'the next big thing' but it appears that the next BIGGER thing stopped their momentum (more than once) Im going with Vera on this one as he is a hometown hero who once competed in the org I work for now as an ammy.

Gomi/Guida - I think Gomi is going to get smothered here. Plain and simple. Guidas style will totally nullify Gomi, unless he can utilize his angles (similar to Sanchez) and avoid the takedown. I dont see Gomi being able to pull this off against Guida.

Diaz/Kim - This fight has all the makings of a snoozefest/chessmatch depending on your perspective. (In other words, I dont foresee a stand up war here) I think Kim will get this on the ground and punch on Diaz for a while before Diaz pulls off a sub from out of left field. Or, he will win another decision and keep his unbeaten streak intact.

Griffin/Maynard - For some odd reason Im not overly excited about the main event. I guess because Im not overly excited about Maynard's fighting style. Id really like to see Edgar avenge that loss and keep his title. From the way he has looked his past couple of fights, I think he just might do it tomorrow night.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
stonemonkey55 said:
Mackenz versus Bruce Leroy just signed. Please win Mackenz please!!

Oh no you didnt!! :o

Good catch SM55 and thanks for the heads up! Damn, Mack doth need this win! I think he is going to smash here. Cankerous is a decent fighter, but I think Mack is still another level.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Just sitting here watching the prelims...

Brad Tavarres just beat up on Phildo Baloney. Win time - 4:20 of the first round. :D

*EDIT*

I see that they brought Brittney(sp) from the WEC. Yummmmmm. That was one of my favorite parts of the WEC.

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Damn, they are showing the prelims taped delay in my area.

quick picks

diaz, edgar, leben, vera, guida

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I wont spoil any fights then :p

If you havent seen the Stevens/Davis fight yet... :o

That is all :brow:

AGBeer,
Top Bottom