The MMA Discussion Dojo

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
AGBear - I hope Mackens doesn't get cut, that was one HELLUVA fight last night...

Team Alpha Male's front head lock series are just incredible. I've been saying this all along, having a full arsenal of front head lock maneuvers is one of the most overlooked aspects of the ground game.

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
You took the words right out of my mouth SMVV. That was a SICK ass fight - I was actually surprised as I browsed the results and thought almost instantly that Mackens was going to be cut. After seeing that fight last night, I think there might be a good chance he will get at least 1 more fight (with the newly merged UFC)

One thing that threw me for a loop though was Joe Martinez emceeing last night! Last I heard, he and Zuffa had parted ways (for whatever reason) but I guess it just turned out to be a rumor? Or was this just like a last hoorah for him before the merger? I know they are touting a final WEC (of sorts) to solidify who will be taking the reigns of the title pictures in the lower weight classes.

Honestly, I am going to miss the WEC as it seems while UFC events have always been hit and miss when it comes to entertainment value, I dont think iver ever seen a WEC that made me say 'Eh, I could have skipped that one and caught it sometime later...'

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I am so conflicted about the merger... the fan in me will really miss the consistency of how great these cards are from the top to bottom. But I am happy to see these guys finally start getting UFC pay, they DESERVE it. The amount of action in the first round of the mackens/cub fight was more than you would see in any three heavyweight fights you want to randomly choose.

I hope the UFC gives Mackens another chance. That fight last night really could have gone either way. I heard that the UFC only wants to keep about 240 active fighters on the roster so a lot of guys will get cut faster than usual, hopefully its the slower, heavier guys... 155 and below is JUST FIRE - i was on the seat of my pants all last night.

BTW - that ref for the faber/mizugaki fight let faber hold onto that choke about 5 seconds too long. Mizugaki was out pretty quick, I was kinda scared until I saw mizugaki regain consciousness.

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Pappy - we must be one and the same because that is EXACTLY what I was doing last night as I was watching the event.

Joseph Benvidez's natural weight is 125, I cannot weight until that division is brought in so he doesnt have to keep fighting these bigger guys. Do you remember his last fight with Dominic Cruz? He looked like a midget compared to him.

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I guess we were ALL on the same page (sorta) as I was between commercials (and the pause button on the DVR) to make sweet loves to my new SSV toy.

And yeah, Mizzy was out QUICK in that fight and Faber kept it on for a little long. (It happens)

Off topic though - Did you catch the wildcard fight on TUF the other night? If you have the ability to rewatch it, look closely at the first round. My buddy had made mention that Herb Dean did NOT have the trademark black rubber gloves on in the first round. Cut to commercial and on to round two and VIOLA! He has them on... Herb Dean is tricky like that :lol:

AGBeer,

Pappy

shmaporist
stonemonkey55 said:
Pappy - we must be one and the same because that is EXACTLY what I was doing last night as I was watching the event.

Joseph Benvidez's natural weight is 125, I cannot weight until that division is brought in so he doesnt have to keep fighting these bigger guys. Do you remember his last fight with Dominic Cruz? He looked like a midget compared to him.
That was close. Re: more weight divisions, hell, I remember when lil' Royce Gracie used to take on these Olympic wrestlers, 300 pounders, and submit them with pinky locks. The UFC ain't what it used to be. ;)

Pappy,

Pappy

shmaporist
SM, so you were crashing AL's site last night. What about Erik Koch's head kick? :o Faber is on medical bench for 6 months -- shoulder injury.

Pappy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
AGBeer said:
I guess we were ALL on the same page (sorta) as I was between commercials (and the pause button on the DVR) to make sweet loves to my new SSV toy.

And yeah, Mizzy was out QUICK in that fight and Faber kept it on for a little long. (It happens)

Off topic though - Did you catch the wildcard fight on TUF the other night? If you have the ability to rewatch it, look closely at the first round. My buddy had made mention that Herb Dean did NOT have the trademark black rubber gloves on in the first round. Cut to commercial and on to round two and VIOLA! He has them on... Herb Dean is tricky like that :lol:

Are you implying that something shady was going on? or just that Herb forgot to put on his gloves for the first round?

Man, although I am excited the Aldo/Grispi, it would've been really nice to watch Koch fight Grispi last night. I really think Koch has a good chance to be a future champ, I like that kid a lot. Mendes actually impressed me too. I thought that Vazquez would prove to be too much for him on the feet but he was getting taking to school. I'm curious to see if Aldo can fight off Mendes takedowns.

stonemonkey55,

Purple-Days

Heard a nice audio article on Manny Pacquiao. Tough life, tough kid, WOW !

66givk.jpg

Sure he probably doesn't have a ground game, but . . . tough...

Purple-Days,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Damn, forget about MMA, Sergio Martinez just KTFO'd Paul Williams last night.... damn, sweetest punch I've seen in years...

As for UFC last night... Machida def got robbed, BJ may or may not be back, fight was too short to say. George Sotoropoulis is one guy to watch out for, his ground game is sick and made all the right adjustments against Lauzon.

In a year, everyone will be clamoring for Phil Davis and Jon Jones to fight... bet on that

stonemonkey55,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
What? Robbed?

I think that the judges decision was sound personally. I figure the first 2 rounds could have arguably gone to Quinton merely because he was aggressive (Based on effective striking, grappling, AGGRESSION and OCTAGON CONTROL) It WAS a close fight, but Im not surprised that Rampage took the decision. Machida, I love you and all but you gotta quit leaving it for the judges to decide.

Joe Lauzon didnt look himself, but then again he has been hit and miss in his performances in the past. George is the real deal and Im happy he won last night.

BJ and Hughes... Meh. I could have cared less for this fight. Hughes, I love you. You are a HOFer please leave us with GOOD memories - fucking retire already. (Dont pull an Iceman on us please)

And speaking of Phil Davis (almost confused as Bones) Did you hear that they are pitting Ryan Bader against Jones here soon? Damn, thats gonna be a bad ass fight!

AGBeer,

Theo

Just watched the 2 main fights. I completely agree with AGBeer. Rampage barely won the first 2 rounds and the last round definitely went to Machida. Too bad the round didn't go for 3 extra seconds, looked like Rampage was about to tap out right as the round ended. As for BJ Penn and Hughes, I was surprised it was that quick and easy.

Theo,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Let me rephrase, if you go by the 10 point must system, then yes, I can see people giving Rampage the first two rounds. If you look at it more holistically, who landed the cleaner strikes, who came closer to ending the fight, then for sure it was Machida. While I do agree that Quinton was defintely the aggressor, I'm not willing to give him the nod for ocatgon control. Coming forward and swinging at air cannot be considered effective aggression, just aggression.

Lyoto did what he usually does, which is go backwards. If Quinton was able to cut off the cage and corner and explode on Lyoto, I would consider that to be true octagon control. I think the clearest indication that Quinton lost was the fact that he felt he was the loser and was absolutely shocked when he was awarded the win. I can't remember the last time when a high profile fight ended with the victor basically saying the other guy whooped him.

Personally, I had the first two rounds 10-10, I don't really think either guy did anything to clearly win either round. Quinton landed more strikes to the head, but I felt that more damage was done by Lyoto's body and leg kicks. I'm curious to see how the winner of Bader/Jones fares against either of these guys.

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Just wanted to add one last tidbit now that I have sobered up from the weekend....

Main events, or any title elimination/contender's bouts should really be 5 rounds. 3 rounds is just not enough for elite fighters to get to a definitive decision. Imagine is Rashad/Rampage had an extra two rounds, or Rampage/Machida. 15 minutes is just not enough for two elite level fighters who are evenly matched to come to a conclusive finish.

stonemonkey55,

Plotinus

Has anyone watched the ultimate fighter this season? It got surprisingly good around 8 episodes in. The finale is going to be a bloodletting, though. Michael Johnson is overrated as hell.

Plotinus,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I have watched every episode of this season (religiously as always) and it was *okay* as it has been for the past few years. Its all about the drama and TV bullshit, but in the end its about 2 guys getting in there and duking it out.

Yes, Johnson is overrated and I agree that Brookins is the real deal. Brookins really grew on me once he opened his mouth. At first glance he was kind of 'nerdy/creepyish' but wow if this cat isnt deep, and just all around fucking cool (IMO).

That said, I hope he smashes Johnson and chokes him out with a RNC tomorrow :)

AGBeer,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Gotta agree with you guys on Brookins. Seems like a smart, deep kid who's mental strength will help him just as much as any of his physical training. He reminds me of someone who has watched "What the bleep do we know?" Brookins looked really familiar to me so I did some research on him, the guy fought Jose Aldo a couple of years ago, that in itself should make him feel confident about fighting Johnson.

Speaking of Michael Johnson, I rewatched the Nam Phan fight and although initially I had Johnson winning, I gotta give it to Nam Phan. The third round in my eyes was pivotal and I thought that Nam out worked Johnson off his back but it is what it is. I'm pretty sure Brookins will be able to handle Johnson's wrestling and submit him.

Segue into Nam Phan, so was he jerkin it or not? I really felt bad for him, trying to get prepped for the biggest fight of his life and Team Kos basically doing nothing to help him. Now that WEC has been absorbed into the UFC, he seems like a perfect candidate to drop down to 145

stonemonkey55,

Plotinus

Yeah, Brookins was great to watch. He would be unusual anywhere, but on a show that caters to so many asinine jock types, he really stood out. I thought he was going to get his ass kicked the first time he fought; shows what I know.

As for Johnson's fight, it seemed like a coin toss to me. I personally would have preferred Nam to win just because I think his jiu jitsu is better, but neither of them fought like they really wanted it, and I would've happily watched either lose to Brookins.

Plotinus,

Plotinus

Yes, he clearly was. The whole saga was so utterly pathetic, Kos's dipshit team members act like a bunch of school girls; but Pham can't just man up and admit what happened? Is there any pubescent male in the world who hasn't squeezed one out in the shower before? Who cares?

Plotinus,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Plotinus said:
Yes, he clearly was. The whole saga was so utterly pathetic, Kos's dipshit team members act like a bunch of school girls; but Pham can't just man up and admit what happened? Is there any pubescent male in the world who hasn't squeezed one out in the shower before? Who cares?

hahaha, I hear you there, but then again, admitting you were masturbating on national tv has got to be a difficult thing to do. I just noticed that Nam Phan is fighting Leonard Garcia at 145 tonight. That's gonna be a tough test for Nam but I think he will use the strategy of letting Leonard load up on his bombs and pick his shots to a decision victory.

I'm really looking forward to the Ricky Story/Hendricks fight too. A good clash of two wrestlers who have decent striking. Story beat the living piss outta of Dustin Hazelett on the same card Hendricks too "the Spaniard" to school. Should be a good test of wills as I think they have similar skill sets with the grappling going to Hendricks and a slight striking advantage going to Story.

stonemonkey55,

2Supra4U

i liked michael johnson,, but im rooting for brookins

everytime he spoke i was like i like that fucking guy

i love that he does his own thing and dosent get involved in any of the bs, is quiet but down to earth.

reminds me of me

2Supra4U,

Pappy

shmaporist
Knockoutville on Strike Force Extreme. First Matt Lindlen hit the deck then Scott Smith. Total 100% KO's! Then Dan "Pappy" Henderson Palooka-ed Bobalou "Pappy" Sobriel. There should be an age limit in MMA -- to save these aging fighters.

As an aside, I wonder how much blow the announcers at Showtime do before they go on air? They're talking gibberish and their eyes are popping out of their sockets. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pappy,
Top Bottom