The Magic-Flight Launch Box (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden

I am Jack's title
Nice! What a difference a day makes I guess. The box will get here before my batteries then :lol:

I can't wait for it to get here, the Iolite is making me really happy so far, but I'm really curious if I can get concentrates working in the MFB chamber since the temperature and setup seem better suited for it at first glance.

Durden,

duh

Bad news about some rechargables - they won't fit well in the LB. At least not the Beta unit I have been testing. the Engergizers seem fine w/out the jacket but not some of the others.

I noticed this w/the Lenmars I just bought - they work but it is a tight fit and I'd prefer not to have to use pliers to turn off the unit so these batts will go to another purpose. I have noticed the same thing w/the Duracells - too big.

Any of the other beta testers notice this? Obviously, the MF batteries are a perfect fit but these bigger jacket AAs are not. Maybe we can make a list of 3rd party batteries that we know work...

duh,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Have you ever read a review of something you use, and you say to yourself, "Was that reviewer on drugs?" because their views are completely different from yours?

How about when you were the one who wrote the original review...

So I get back from two weeks on the road, and start back in with "testing" the Box. Only everything I thought was right for me about how I use it turns out to be mostly wrong... Where to begin.

Most importantly, I figured out how long a single battery lasts so I can stop thinking a given technique doesn't work, when it's really that the battery is mostly dead. This simple mistake I was making (using a mostly dead battery half the time) totally messed up my testing. I know that the instructions said to only expect a bowlful or so per battery, and MF said the same thing here on the forum, and everyone else who was beta testing mostly said the same thing, but I guess it just didn't sink in properly. Well, it finally sank in. Before I get into changing my mind about half the things I said the other day, I want to comment a bit about batteries.

I tested the batteries I was using (with a MAHA MH-C9000), and discovered that after a couple of weeks of heavy use, their capacity had dropped from approximately 2200 mAh to 1700 mAh. I am sure this is due to the RadioShack 30 min fast charger I was using which left the batteries VERY VERY hot after every recharge; too hot to comfortably handle. After reading a BUNCH of horrible reviews on the Radio Shack 8 minute fast charger, I gave up on that idea, and went out Monday and bought an Energizer 15 minute fast charger (which came with four 2200mAH batteries). It does indeed charge the batteries in 15 or 20 minutes, and they don't get super hot, they just get warm. The Energizer charger has a fan built in, which blows air on the batteries while they're charging. I'll report back on their capacity after a dozen or so cycles of the cells. (i.e., using one in the Box drawing five or six amps, until it's mostly dead, then charging it on the Energizer 15 minute fast charger, for a dozen or so times, then testing the capacity on the MAHA). I also ordered eight Delkin 2900 mAh batteries which I'll report on once I've put them through a number of cycles. Enough about batteries. (Duh: see my note to you at the end of this message).

Remember a few pages ago where I said I like the long rigid tube and I don't like using no tube? Well, it's just the opposite now. I really, really, really like using no tube at all. With no tube, the Launch Box is even nicer to handle (it's a tiny package), easier to shake/stir, and easier to empty and clean. But maybe more than that, I found that with any tube, I was coughing most of the time after the first or second puff of a given load. When I switched to using no tube, I stopped coughing. I'm not sure why, because I still coughed even when I switched to a three inch straight rigid tube. The only real difference is that using any tube is breathing through a narrower diameter than breathing directly from the Box, but I don't understand why this would make such a difference. I don't think I am breathing any differently when I use a tube, but maybe that's it. So I don't understand why, but I am very happy with this new development, because the Box is easier to carry and more stealthy to use with no stem. The wood didn't taste very good in the beginning though. Now I'm either used to it, or it's lost its taste.

I use the temperature of the stream to determine how hard and long to draw, and I don't miss not being able to see the vapor stream at all. If I'm really not sure if I'm getting anything (other than hot air), I just take a tiny puff into my mouth (not drawing it into my lungs), and then exhale to see if there's any vapor. This lets me know for sure if I've finished off a load already. (Though the taste difference makes it pretty easy to tell without needing a vapor test). You can also make the same test by breathing a little INTO the Box and watching for any escaping vapor. I can tell if a battery is mostly depleted by noting how long it takes before the stream is warm. I still use breath modulation to control the vapor density and temperature, and it's still easy to inhale too rapidly and cool off the chamber to below the point you desire.

Now that I'm putting the end of the Box directly in my mouth, I have also switched to a steady long easy draw rather than the short "puff-pause-puff-pause" method I liked when I was using the rigid tube.

I had the opportunity to use the Launch Box at work for the first time yesterday. Work yesterday was in a 55' remote television production truck. About 20 people work in the truck at the same time, which is partitioned into four or five separate sections. The truck has a single ventilation system; if I open a baggie with really skunky stuff in it, everyone in the truck is yelling at me after ten seconds. Just opening the bag, mind you, not igniting anything, and I am NOT exaggerating (it happened once). So my assistant (and good friend) who sits next to me in the truck and I spent four hours and eight batteries vaping with the Launch Box while we worked. No one in the truck had any idea, and we were totally wasted the whole time.

This gave me the opportunity to see how hard it was to "teach" the Box to someone who was an expert smoker, but a neophyte in vaping (he had never vaped before). I explained that you controlled the Box by varying how hard and long you inhaled, and that it was very easy to inhale too rapidly, which would cause the screen to cool off too much and the Box to not work properly. I told him to wait ten seconds or so after inserting the battery before taking his first hit, and to remove the battery if he wasn't going to take another hit (or pass the Box) in the next 15 seconds. I also warned him that it would feel like it wasn't working because vaping isn't as hot and harsh as smoking. Since I wanted him to have the first two hits from a fresh load (for the taste), but he was clueless, I did the whole first bowl by myself, with him watching, so he could see how long a hit was, and so he could verify (for both of us) that no odor was getting into the truck. I reloaded the bowl, put in a fresh battery, and passed him the Box. After the first two or three hits, he commented that he didn't think it was working properly. At my insistence, he continued until the bowl was totally used up, but he was obviously disappointed.

Two minutes later he turned to me and mentioned he was whacked out of his mind, and that for a little wooden box that didn't work, it sure worked. :)

When the rest of the crew broke for a meal break, which left the truck empty, I put the long rigid tube from the Launch Tube into the Box, turned on the overhead lights, and let him see the effect on the vapor density using breath control. His comment was that he didn't need to see the vapor, and that paying attention to the temperature of the air stream was all he needed. He's sold on the Launch Box, by the way.

I'm as convinced now that the "no tube, steady breath" method is the way for me as I was convinced that the "long rigid tube, tiny sips" method was the way for me a couple of weeks ago. So who knows what I'll feel two weeks from now, but even if I change my mind again, and feel like an idiot, I'll still report back what I find.

Vape is Good.

Haywood

ps Duh: I noticed the same thing, but I have modified my Box to work a little better with different diameter batteries. The 2200mAh batteries that came with my Energizer are a perfect fit, while some of my other batteries are a bit tight. I wrap a one inch wide piece of white cloth tape around the bottom of my batteries (around the circumference, only one layer thick). It makes them easy to remove without using tools. They're just too slippery when they're bare metal. This also lets me write a number on the tape on each battery, so I can keep track. I don't cover the actual bottom of the battery, as this would require removing the tape every time I recharge them. A nice side effect of using one inch tape is that it leaves a millimeter or two of bare battery visible when the battery is fully inserted in the Box. So it's trivially easy to tell if the battery is in the fully inserted working position or the partially removed resting position. The only down side is that you can't put the battery in the Box in the reverse travelling position because the tape makes it thicker. Since I use a plastic carrier for my batteries, this doesn't matter to me. Also, to answer your previous question, NiHM batteries, unlike NiCad batteries, don't need to be fully discharged before recharging to prevent loss of capacity. A lot of people thought that only using a NiCad battery partially before recharging it was a bad idea, though most experts felt it was urban legend rather than fact. Read up about the gory details if you like, on Wikipedia.

Haywood,

Monsoon

Good update Haywood. It's nice to hear that it's easy for newbies to use. I'm sometimes hesitant letting other use my SSV since it's more finicky (easy to burn) and I have one friend who blew into which really fucks it up. With this vape the worse that can happen is you don't get enough vapour. I think when I get one it'll be especially useful at parties since joints are incredibly wasteful and I can actually use it inside without bothering people.

Monsoon,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi Haywood,

I especially admire your willingness to experiment and your honesty in reporting your found results in such clear and informative detail. Your feedback has been of excellent quality and very helpful.

Haywood said:
...simple mistake I was making (using a mostly dead battery half the time)...
...only expect a bowlful or so per battery...
Yes, this can accout for a lot, and we are agreed that many people will make the same mistake.
It is expected since many first time users will want to 'get going' right away and so never read the directions. Others, because they will think/want/hope that they can get more from a single battery (perhaps they only have one with them). In either case, we understand.

As some readers may know already, the preferred mode of usage is to have thicker hits. Therefore, more material must be heated faster for this to occur -- which means more power consumed quicker, (at least in comparison with the Launch Tube). We have already made the device as nearly perfectly energy efficient as the physics and materials allow, so it is unlikely that the 'one battery per bowl' situation is going change anytime soon (for the Box).

You also note correctly that it is important to NOT let the batteries get too hot. It is ok for them to get warm (when charging or in use), but hot is not good -- it shortens the life of the battery. ("Hot" is when you would not want to hold the battery in your hand). We strongly recommend that Box users get into the habit of pulling the battery back after each hit (this keeps the battery cooler and prevents accidental loss of the load and the charge).

Surprisingly, we have found that having the battery be stronger than that needed for one bowl actually has two disadvantages: 1) users are constantly wondering if the battery is ok on the 2nd and 3rd bowls, and 2) if a user happens to accidentally leave the unit 'on', stronger batteries tend to get hotter (in proportion to their storage capacity). We strongly suggest that people only get other batteries for the Box after they have developed a good set of usage habits with the provided batteries and are familliar with the capabilities of the device.

Haywood said:
...I really, really, really like using no tube at all. With no tube, the Launch Box is even nicer to handle (it's a tiny package), easier to shake/stir, and easier to empty and clean...
This is good, since this is/was the intended usage mode for which the Box was origionally designed/optimized. Anything that is provided as an attachment (tubes, whips, etc) is due to user choice, not because it is necessary. In fact, using the Box in its native mode has the specific advantages of 1) increased efficiency (since there is no condensation effect, there is no wasted/lost vapor), and 2) greater accuracy/sensitivity (since the temp/taste feedback is not muted by distance). We strongly suggest that people at least try to use the Box native as this will provide a much more satisfying experience overall.

Also, in the production Boxes (shipping now), we have even moved the draw hole a little lower so as to allow for using the Box when lying flat on your back. While this may not matter most of the time, there are situations where it makes a BIG difference.

Haywood said:
... more than that, I found that with any tube, I was coughing most of the time after the first or second puff of a given load. When I switched to using no tube, I stopped coughing. I'm not sure why...
This has been observed in prior testing as well. The narrower diameter of the draw tube increases the velocity of the vapor stream and "organizes" it so that it moves farther as a single strait column once it exits (within the confines of the mouth). This basically means that warm vapor is more likely to arrive at the back of the mouth, causing coughing -- not good! Using the Box native provides for a larger draw hole (lower stream velocity) and because its 'effective length' is very short, the vapor stream is less organized -- both effects place the vapor closer to the front of the mouth, which for various neurological reasons, mean less coughing (or none at all). It is a specific and very carefully thought out part of the Box design to ensure that the vapor channel is as short and as likely to place the vapor closer to the front of the mouth as possible -- where most of the users sensory capacities are.

Overall, the goal of the channel is to provide the maximum and most easy/natural user feedback and the maximum vapor (ie, little to no vapor condensation in the channel). One of the disadvantages of using any sort of draw stem at all is that it removes the user from directly sensing the vapor temperature and it provides a place for the vapor to condense. Condensation is bad -- it means both lost vapor (less efficient) AND it makes eventual cleaning a requirement. The Box, used consistently in its native configuration is specifically designed to never require cleaning. We are aware, however, that as a new product, this design intention may or may not be realized in some modes of user practice over the long term (years). Again, we provide the draw tubes because some users prefer it that way, either out of simple habit or some other necessity.

Haywood said:
...The wood didn't taste very good in the beginning though. Now I'm either used to it, or it's lost its taste...
Some of the Beta test units had this problem -- we eventually traced it back to a concurrent job that was getting processed in the shop where the woodworking was done. We believe that this problem has been fixed. However, some users may still find that they may experience some sort of 'breaking in' peroid as well -- we are also testing other woods to see if that makes any difference.

Haywood said:
...I use the temperature of the stream to determine how hard and long to draw, and I don't miss not being able to see the vapor stream at all...
Yes, this is as expected -- it is part of the energy calculation. As mentioned earlier, we worked hard to ensure that the energy delivered to the material is the absolutel minimum necessary to cause vaporization. This is for two reasons: 1) to maximize battery life/utility, and 2) to ensure that the vapor is never overheated. Among other things, this means that the vapor is not overly hot when recieved by the user, even though the draw point is only a short distance away. Our recommendation is to ensure that the lips are placed a little above and below the draw hole and to recieve the vapor in whole form into the open cavity of the mouth. If the temp/taste seems high, to draw a little faster (has a cooling effect), or alternately, to stop the heating and start over. It is best to leave a little bit of lung capacity to draw the remaining vapor fully into the lungs before releasing.

Haywood said:
...I have also switched to a steady long easy draw rather than the short "puff-pause-puff-pause" method I liked when I was using the rigid tube.
Yes -- a long steady draw is optimal. The steady state method is more vapor efficient and more accurately reflects the design method-of-usage intentions of the Box. It is especially cool to have the internal design and research so thouroughly confirmed in your practical experience with the Box.

Haywood said:
I had the opportunity to use the Launch Box at work for the first time yesterday. Work yesterday was in a 55' remote television production truck. About 20 people work in the truck at the same time, which is partitioned into four or five separate sections. The truck has a single ventilation system; if I open a baggie with really skunky stuff in it, everyone in the truck is yelling at me after ten seconds. Just opening the bag, mind you, not igniting anything, and I am NOT exaggerating (it happened once). So my assistant (and good friend) who sits next to me in the truck and I spent four hours and eight batteries vaping with the Launch Box while we worked. No one in the truck had any idea, and we were totally wasted the whole time.
Yes, this agrees with our prior testing as well. While most vaporizers will have significantly less smell than smoking, we believe (but have not yet confirmed) that this vape produces the lowest level of secondary smell of any vape currently on the market (including and especially the Iolite). Mostly, this is a direct consequence of the design aspects above. The box has a small short channel system, and therefore, has very few parts in contact with the vapor -- fewer parts to re-radiate smell. The Box uses minimum energy (no preheating) and minimum exchange air volume, so that there is no smell associated with the aromatic components coming off while waiting for the unit to start up (there is no waiting with the Box).

Often, the only evident smell occurs when loading the Box (of course, preloading before arrival is an option here). Also, if you exhale directly into someones face, it is likely that they will smell something.
Usually however, anyone more than 3 feet away will not be able to smell anything at all. Your milage may vary -- all risks taken are exclusively your own -- use responsibly.

Haywood said:
This gave me the opportunity to see how hard it was to "teach" the Box to someone who was an expert smoker, but a neophyte in vaping (he had never vaped before). I explained that you controlled the Box by varying how hard and long you inhaled, and that it was very easy to inhale too rapidly, which would cause the screen to cool off too much and the Box to not work properly. I told him to wait ten seconds or so after inserting the battery before taking his first hit, and to remove the battery if he wasn't going to take another hit (or pass the Box) in the next 15 seconds. I also warned him that it would feel like it wasn't working because vaping isn't as hot and harsh as smoking. Since I wanted him to have the first two hits from a fresh load (for the taste), but he was clueless, I did the whole first bowl by myself, with him watching, so he could see how long a hit was, and so he could verify (for both of us) that no odor was getting into the truck. I reloaded the bowl, put in a fresh battery, and passed him the Box. After the first two or three hits, he commented that he didn't think it was working properly. At my insistence, he continued until the bowl was totally used up, but he was obviously disappointed.

Two minutes later he turned to me and mentioned he was whacked out of his mind, and that for a little wooden box that didn't work, it sure worked. :)
Thank you! This is an absolutely excellent, and as far as I can tell, as nearly perfect a technique for teaching someone else how to use the Box as any I know. :lol:

For anyone who wishes to show/demonstrate how to use the Box to someone else, please use Haywood's technique above as a guide!

Haywood said:
... the "no tube, steady breath" method is the way for me ...
For a lot of reasons, I think that where you are at now is going to remain the case. The native steady draw technique is the best currently known method of use. It is certantly known to be the most optimal/efficient technique possible.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

2tiki

It's fun to have forward thinking scientists creating vapes. :) MF you guys clearly put a lot of thought into every aspect of the device.

I am so excited to hear that they have started shipping!!! :D

I am a bit of a germ-a-phobe, so if someone wanted to try my LB with their own meds, will the hole for the draw stem be able to fit some sort of cheap replaceable mouth piece? Something like they use on the end of the VG or even a drinking straw cut short? Obviously once it arrives I will be trying out some ideas like this that I have for it.

2tiki,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
MF: Thanks for explaining the "why" for some of my observations! I'm also glad to hear you find my "how to use the Launch Box" description useful; I was having a difficult time putting it into words until I actually sat with my friend and did it. In light of my (almost) complete change of how I use the LB, and the different ways that others here have mentioned, you'll still probably have your hands full in figuring out how to best explain the proper usage...

The eight 2900mAh Delkin AA batteries (and some more plastic carrying cases) arrived about an hour ago, and they're charging as I type. I am using my MAHA MH-C9000 charger rather than the 15 minute Energizer charger I just bought. I figure to pack the 15 minute charger when I go on the road for long trips, but with eight hi capacity batteries dedicated to the Launch Box, I doubt I'll have a need to fast charge much anymore, and the MAHA charger I use is about the best commercial NiMH AA charger on the market, which will prolong the life of the batteries significantly. I plan on sticking with the supplied 2300mAh batteries for the next day or two, so I don't wind up fooling myself about how long to use a given battery again. (I appreciate your advice: "We strongly suggest that people only get other batteries for the Box after they have developed a good set of usage habits with the provided batteries and are familliar with the capabilities of the device.")

Note to Duh: the Delkin 2900 mAh batteries fit perfectly, and appear to be the same diameter as the Magic Flight supplied cells. Their little paper/cardboard top insulator is glued to the top of the cell, like the ones that Magic Flight supplies. Most of my other batteries don't have glued top insulators, and they fall off as soon as you remove the outer plastic wrap from the battery. I'm actually finding the brand to brand difference in diameter doesn't matter as much as the construction of the "lip" at the top of the battery. Some of my batteries have a wide crimp ring which tends to "hang up" on the negative terminal wire when you're inserting or removing the battery. This is real nitpicky stuff, which I only mention because, uhhh, I'm anally retentive about these things...

More later after more experimenting, and I want to re-read MF's latest reply to me a few times to make sure I understand it all.

Vape is Good.

Haywood

ps 2tiki: Having switched to using NO tube with the LB, I have the same concerns, and I thought I might try a straight plastic tube of about one inch length for those times I'm sharing with a few people. I've shared a conventional one hitter pipe with friends before, but it's easy to clean a plastic or metal mouthpiece with an alcohol wipe; I don't think cleaning the end of a block of wood that way is a good idea. I'm interested to hear about experiments with a disposable paper or plastic straw, so if anyone has fooled with this, let us know!

Haywood,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
2tiki said:
It's fun to have forward thinking scientists creating vapes. :) MF you guys clearly put a lot of thought into every aspect of the device...
Hi 2tiki,

Thank you. Considering the developers involved and the time each has spent on it, we figure that we have something like 15 development years into this project. Internally, there have actually been some comments of embarrisment that it took us rather much longer than expected to get it right. Everything in life is more detailed and complex than it ever seems on the surface.

In regards to the replaceable mouthpart, we include in the basic package a short connector tube (we call it 'the peg') that is tapered on both sides. The idea is that you can use it as a draw piece by itself on the Box (some users seem to prefer the feel of this on their lips) or you can use it as a means for attaching a common bendy straw. Most bendy straws work, although some may fit on the connector better than others. Naturally, these are available everywhere and solve the germ problem (everyone can use their own straw). The only downside to this approach is that we are reluctant to suggest the use of disposable plastics (bendy straws) due to enviromental concerns. It is our long term hope to be able to reduce the cost of the Box itself so that everyone would be able to have their own instance (another way to solve the germ issue). In the interim, we also plan to offer some accessories such as a whip and stems that can also be easily cleaned/sterilized. For ones own use, however, we still recommend the native approach as the best (unprotected -- feels better! :) ).

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

2tiki

{unprotected -- feels better! }

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very cheeky!

Glad to hear about the ability to use a straw. I would probably just cut up little 1-2 inch pieces of straw so you could get 3-6 separate tubes to hand out to folks from one straw. I wouldn't feel like that is very wasteful.

I am rarely in situations where I can share anyway. Especially since I became a legal patient, I do everything the legal way which includes not sharing medication(as well as not driving while medicated and a bunch of other stuff). But, I have been to some legal MMJ patient events, and I know when I bring this baby to the next one people are going to get pissed if I don't let them try it. There should be some big mmj parties coming up over the next 2 months. I look forward to walking around the events with my little LB and having people say, "What the hell is that?". I will make sure 100% that those people use "protection" when they try it. I may even put a bunch of cut up straw pieces and "the peg" in what ever bag I make to carry the LB.

MF are you going to be represented at the upcoming THC expo in LA? I am looking forward to this event. www.thcexpo.com if haven't heard of it.

2tiki,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi 2tiki,

In regards to the THC.Expo, we are looking at it. Not sure yet if we will be able to be there as there are some schedule confiicts that are still getting worked out. We will post our show schedule on our website when it gets updated.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
haywood...first of all, I really appreciate your posts and the effort you put into them!

Do you prefer hitting the naked box with or without the peg?

Also, is this your only vape? Im curious to know what vapes you own and where the Box fits in your rotation. It sounds like you may be using the Box exclusively.

stickstones,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Right now, totally naked. I don't have a one inch peg anymore though; I broke mine day two (don't ask). I do have a three inch straight peg though, and I didn't like it as much as naked the last time I tried it. I'l cut it down later and try it out. (Oh, and a tip, if your one inch tube gets stuck in the Box, don't use a pliers to remove it).

Haywood

Haywood,

duh

Cleaning Tip:

After you clean the LB using your brush, there still may be some accumulation of grungy plant matter that is fused to the unit. Over time, there can be lines of build-up around the 2 binding lanes at the top of the trough. To get rid of this build-up - and to know you have fully discharged a few of batteries before a re-charge cycle - let the empty LB 'burn' away the material w/whats left in the batteries. Remember to never use the brush on the hot LB as the plastic bristles will melt.

I also do tapping and blow air back out through the underside air intake as well as the exit hole. At the end of the process, magically, the build-up is gone and the binding area is gleaming silver again.

ISO brushed cotton swabs work fine too, but it is easy to get bits of cotton caught in the screen. The end result is the same - you just want the trench to be at full heating capacity for the next load.

All the posts over the last few days in this thread are great! It is obvious why this is the new 'hot' vape! I'm in SoCal too so I hope to catch up in person w/some of you at one of these events!

duh,

duh

I just re-read the post in the light of day and realize I said "trough" instead of "trench" but I think it should stay as that is what I really meant ;).

MrMistyTokes said:
u should have named it the shake n bake :D:brow::lol:
and Henny's line from another page
Hennessy1414 said:
GET DOWN!!! the green bombs are dropping!!! climb into the trench to survive the blast
I think they are on to something! And now, since it's about a week until the official launch of the LB, (and since I hope we start a new thread for the official LB as it is slightly different than the LB Beta), a little more thread clutter towards the end and before this thread hits the abv...

These aren't G-rated so fair warning (you are on fc afterall! Think Frank's trucker hats from 30 rock - also this list/page ppl can refer to if/when this topic comes up again in the 'real' thread). Chime in w/your own people!

Obvious innuendos w/the Launch Box

* It's ok to shake your box.

* May I launch your box?

* I have a hot box here!

* Hell yea, I tapped that box!

* Toss your box off.

* Your box or mine?

* I suck on my launch box like:
a) a fat kid and a juice box
b) a baby on their bottle
c) a champion pornstar

* My box makes me happy.

* Box expert.

and my fav so far that my sleep depraved/vaped mind can think up:

* Is that a Launch Box in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

duh,

duh

That last one is funny cuz it's true, see - it could happen - pocket vape and all... ;) :D :lol:

:peace:,
duh

duh,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
stickstones said:
Also, is this your only vape? Im curious to know what vapes you own and where the Box fits in your rotation. It sounds like you may be using the Box exclusively.
I somehow managed to miss your second question. I currently have four vapes. A Volcano Digit Easy Valve, an iInhale (iolite), the Launch Box, and two Launch Tubes (both temperature versions).

When I'm not beta testing a vape, I use the Volcano when I'm home, 100% of the time. When I'm not home, I use the Launch Box.

I used to use the iolite when I wasn't home, but my particular usage habits make the Launch Box a better choice. (I don't know if I will find a need to use the iolite anymore. I haven't ruled it out, I just can't think of when I'll need it. I have a zillion AA batteries - well, 16 anyway, so I don't think I'll run out in a day or two, plus I can pack my small fast charger if I need to).

I haven't thought much about whether I'll use the Launch Tube anymore. If I didn't have the Volcano, I'd use the Launch Tube at home rather than the Launch Box. The Launch Tube is an excellent one or two hitter, and a pleasure to use if you don't have to be really stealthy.

Haywood

Haywood,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
wow haywood....good reviews man. seems your creeping in my mind :brow: You have a pretty detailed way of going about how to use this vape...awesome write up :tup: I agree with all of it except for the statement on what to use while hitting it. I find that ripping the vapor through the 'native hole' (I.E. using no stem or tubing to draw the vapor thru) is much harsher than not using the supplied paraphernalia. I agree it is a bit simpler to rip hits off the box when using no stem, but to adequately cool the hits the stem or tubing combo is essential. I think Haywood is too sensitive to the fact of wood taste/plastic tubing taste (if you could even call it a taste...its just a less pure taste when hitting the greens. no melting or any BS on this end :tup:)

that being said not using any stem/tubing will give you more of a pure flavor...might be a little bit harsh on the lungs, but we said fuck combustion so man up and hit the creamy plentiful amounts of vapor that this box can produce :D

:peace:

p.s. to "bandoleer" battery's into my LB (in case a batt. decides to die midway thru a trench load) I just line the fold on my beanie with battery's. I could even sow in lil pockets so the batss couldn't have a chance to touch each other and possibly lose power :(

enjoy the clouds pre-order people :)

Hennessy1414,

Beezleb

After reading Hayward's last post I have been using it without the tube and I agree with Hayword. I particularly found MF's explanation of the vapor distribution when taking a draw interesting and does much to explain some people's potential reasons for needing to cool and/or redistribute the initial vapor path to obtain better odds of not having sensitivity issues:

Magic Flight wrote:

The narrower diameter of the draw tube increases the velocity of the vapor stream and "organizes" it so that it moves farther as a single strait column once it exits (within the confines of the mouth). This basically means that warm vapor is more likely to arrive at the back of the mouth, causing coughing -- not good! Using the Box native provides for a larger draw hole (lower stream velocity) and because its 'effective length' is very short, the vapor stream is less organized -- both effects place the vapor closer to the front of the mouth, which for various neurological reasons, mean less coughing (or none at all). It is a specific and very carefully thought out part of the Box design to ensure that the vapor channel is as short and as likely to place the vapor closer to the front of the mouth as possible -- where most of the users sensory capacities are.
im currently playing around with the following method.
In essence I insert battery
wait a handful of seconds, less than five and
take a slow long draw for 20 seconds or thereabouts,
disconnect battery while still drawing to clear.
turn MB over to stop vaporizing and shake
shake side to side to get weed back in trench,
insert battery, and start cycle over
rinse and repeat and until desired doneness.

im currently playing around with that method.
Dont expect much visible vapor but you will get the effects. Initially its kinds like a leap of faith without seeing vapor in that your wondering am I really getting a hit but it pays off hehe.

Beezleb,

duh

It looks like how you draw on the LB is total personal preference. I have tried both methods and tend to agree w/Henny that the wand or rigid tube tends to cool the vapor which I prefer. Drawing native takes practices and breath control - draw too fast and the material will be too cool - too slow and it will get too hot.

I'm curious how many of you follow the filling directions or over-fill like me. Vaping
always 'shrinks' the plant material and by the time I get near stopping, the material has shrunken to the point where it just fills the trench. Under filling also works although the trench burns quicker.

As I wrote before, I like to use the LB for the 'first bloom' of the flowers and keep the abv for later on the Extreme. I have found the perfect point for stopping is when the top gets 'dirty' during a session when material is hot enough to stick to the top during tapping/shaking. If there is any dark spotting, I got greedy and went too far but that is rare.

If I stop at this 1st part, the material is good for later. Dome/elbow hits in the E before combining into a bowl for balloons or when I am at a SoCal vapor lounge, I usually take the 1st few hits and then combine the pile into something I can throw into the lounge Volcano. I generally get 1 bag per trench and consume 3 trenches before starting on bags.

One more riff on MMTs name for the LB -

The Shake and Vake!

duh,

kingcrimson

eeeeek!!!! my preorder just got here, oh happy day! I was hoping it would be today but not expecting it, pretty much was betting on tomorrow as a sure thing since I had got notice of shipping saturday and priority mail in my experience takes 3 days on avg. I guess they may have counted sunday? Anyways to my ultimate surprise, its was in my box. Now begins the testing.

It came in a lovely black felt bag, wrapped neatly. Also with the small elbow tube and an approx 3/4' short little nub tube, also with a little brush (thank you for the one that suggested it, and MF for including it) Two fully charged batteries with a lovingly hand written note telling me so, and the two charger options I had selected.

The box itself is a gorgeous thing to beold. I love me some craftsmanship. The slogans on the bottom are fantastic too, great to put ones head in the right place.

:peace:

kingcrimson,

kingcrimson

just took my first hit. got a nice cloud of vapor and my a/c is on in here full blast. holy fucking wow. Im going to need a lot more batteries because this thing
Photo266.jpg

Photo268.jpg

just supplanted this thing
Photo190.jpg

as my main device. :D
now lets see if I can manage another...

kingcrimson,

duh

Congrads, kc! You're welcome on the idea for the brush - works great for me ;)
Thanks for the arrival and unboxing description, pics and for the 1st trip report from the real, production LB! You are putting your bong down?!?
Happy launching!

In other cleaning news, I stumbled across my problem and so hopefully will save time for others. The air outtake hole was clogged - but because the screen is grey and the material clogging it was grey, I never really noticed it. It wasn't until I did 5 cotton swab cleanings w/99% ISO that I noticed how transparent the outtake screen is, just like when I first got it. I also blotted the main screen gently w/the unit upside down so no ISO would soak underneath the screen. A few minutes later and a quick dry - I was back in gear and the effects were as good as new!

duh,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom