mtb2005

Hello MFLB'ers!

I've been researching vapes for a week now and was certain that I was going to purchase the box. However, I got to try one and was not impressed at all. I barely felt anything. I held the battery in for a few seconds and saw some vapor build up, but not much. I tried again, but there was no vapor. Did I have a shitty experience because of low batteries or is the vape high supposed to be a lot more subtle?

mtb2005,

los

mtb2005 said:
Hello MFLB'ers!

I've been researching vapes for a week now and was certain that I was going to purchase the box. However, I got to try one and was not impressed at all. I barely felt anything. I held the battery in for a few seconds and saw some vapor build up, but not much. I tried again, but there was no vapor. Did I have a shitty experience because of low batteries or is the vape high supposed to be a lot more subtle?

you could attribute that to weak batts, but more likely technique is the culprit. the LB requires finesse imo, technique is key and even if you watch the youtube vids you need the LB to practice and find what works best for you.

it could be that the LB is not for you but i wouldnt judge it off 1 try, it takes a lil time and effort to get the most out of your LB.....its totally worth it though! :2c:

los,

mtb2005

I held the battery in for ~10 seconds, inhaled slowly, and held it in for ~20 seconds. With fresh batteries, can the LB hit hard? I tried my friend's DBV awhile back and boy, that thing hit sooo hard. I was hoping that the LB could hit just as hard...

mtb2005,

Nycdeisel

It is not meant or designed for that. It is a stealthy and discreet vape, and the whip type vapes like DBV and SSV are made to give bong like hits that are much bigger.

they each have their place though

Nycdeisel,

nr-cole

mtb2005 said:
Hello MFLB'ers!

Did you let go of the battery when you saw vapor and just inhale what had accumulated in those few seconds? LB technique can be a bit tough to grasp at first. You've got to think through how the device works as it is very different from pretty much any other vape. The thin copper rods and steel screen hold barely any heat when the battery is not in contact. There is so little metal there that the heat retention is virtually nil, especially when you factor in that you're pulling air across what metal there is. For this reason the battery needs to be in place the entire time you're inhaling. You complete the circuit, let things heat up for a few seconds, and then slowly draw the vapor that is being produced. Draw too quickly and things simply aren't hot enough to make any vapor. You can vary the temperature by fiddling with your draw speed. Extremely slow hits (or hits where you take breaks every couple seconds while keeping the battery pushed-in) can produce serious clouds that'll knock you on your ass.

Whew, sorry for the lengthy explanation. Given that you had a not-so-positive experience I figured maybe you'd be inclined to try again if you understood how the box works.

EDIT: Just read your response to nyc. How long would you say you inhaled for? When I vaporize I tend to inhale for as long as I could inhale normally if I wasn't vaporizing. For me that's been the trick to getting satisfying hits out of low-power devices like the Zap and the LB.

nr-cole,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Technique is definitely key, and the END RESULT should be your target (IMO)

While my MFLB doesn't give me the visual lung busters my SSV does, it does medicate the funk out of me with less than half of what I would use in my SSV, but in twice the time as well.

My biggest 'bitch' about the MFLB is the time that it takes to thoroughly vape a trench (crush and repack) and vape some more. I tend to almost 'run out of breath' when hitting it for a very small visual hit (but taste is where the gauge is)

Similar to beers like Meister Brau, PBR, Milwaukees Beast, and Budweiser - after the first one its all downhill from there and no longer an 'issue' :D

AGBeer,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The MFLB is (I double what all have already spoken). not for big hits.
It is for tiny hits....BUT.. with technique.. one can "collect" multiple tiny hits......
and in the end breath out one huge cloud made up of collective tiny micro hits.
I also duplicate the sentiment.. of please give the box a chance.
Watch some vids
JDSupremes signature has some... or just go to YouTube and type MFLB and watch DOZENS of vids.....
you will get your rhythm... everybody does....

2yydqok.jpg

"Now get back in there and do a hit"

Vitolo,

mtb2005

nr-cole said:
Did you let go of the battery when you saw vapor and just inhale what had accumulated in those few seconds?

-I let go of the battery after 10 seconds

EDIT: Just read your response to nyc. How long would you say you inhaled for? When I vaporize I tend to inhale for as long as I could inhale normally if I wasn't vaporizing. For me that's been the trick to getting satisfying hits out of low-power devices like the Zap and the LB.

-I inhaled for around 20 seconds or so.

AGBeer said:

My biggest 'bitch' about the MFLB is the time that it takes to thoroughly vape a trench (crush and repack) and vape some more. I tend to almost 'run out of breath' when hitting it for a very small visual hit (but taste is where the gauge is)
-How long does it usually take to finish a trench?

Thank you all for the help! I guess the only thing I'm worried about with the LB is that I wont get as high as a kite lol. I wish I could try it again with fresh batteries, but my friend that has one is over 2 hours away.

mtb2005,

stroh

errl enthusiast
the MFLB will definitely get you medicated, it just might not be as easy and quickly as you would like. Like AGBeer mentioned, my biggest gripe with the launchbox was the time it took to finish a trench, i need at least 3 to reach the threshold of my desired level, and that will take me at least 15-20 minutes. with one of my log vapes, i can achieve this level in as quickly as 1 stem, there is no contest in the density of hits delivered. That being said, the MFLB is first and foremost a stealthy portable, so if a heavy hitter is what you're into, then you might want to look elsewhere.

stroh,
mtb2005 said:
nr-cole said:
Did you let go of the battery when you saw vapor and just inhale what had accumulated in those few seconds?

-I let go of the battery after 10 seconds

-I inhaled for around 20 seconds or so.

AGBeer said:

-How long does it usually take to finish a trench?

Thank you all for the help! I guess the only thing I'm worried about with the LB is that I wont get as high as a kite lol. I wish I could try it again with fresh batteries, but my friend that has one is over 2 hours away.
I have both the MFLB and the DBV and everyone is right. I can get medicated on the MFLB but no where near how I can with my DBV. The closest portable I have found would have to be the Arizer Solo. They just came out with a new model(fucking pissed bought mine a month ago) and from what I read it hits better and doesn't have any issues(people just got them the other day so time will tell I this one) like the old one could/did. Just go over to that thread and find out more details.

VapeNStone,

itchmesir

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned in this thread.. but imo.. I find it a lot easier to take proper hits with the mflb by not using the stem and just hitting from the end of the box... i can feel the heat much better and therefor regulate my intake appropriately... which allows me to keep the battery going and getting larger hits that do not burn my herb

itchmesir,

Dberm

I've got to say I am able to get thick clouds with my LB and I can finish a finely ground FULL trench in 4-5 hits. This is taking the herb to brown with spots of black.

Also I feel like in order to get the maximum rip from my lb I have to use my bong. That way I can maintain an extremely light pull for an extended time.

Is there any word yet on the oil adapter for the LB yet?? I have been LOVING using oil in my VOS and would probably still choose it over the LB for oils, but I am definitely interested in seeing how the lb hits!

Dberm,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
u bwade wunner said:
JDSupreme said:
Vitolo said:
Watch some vids
JDSupremes signature has some...

Hi. :p
JD

I watched all youre vids again last night.Great job.I learned so much and I was sure I was already a vapor snob before watching. :) I got big flaversome hits.

I did nt really clean my box before but I am seeing it is very important.I ve been gulping burnt carbon off the bottom of my trench.you can t really see it its in the mesh screen of the trench so reg cleaning sorts that out good and is important.I also slide a isod qtip carefully to clean under the mesh being careful of the light and the screen itself.Now its a easier draw and is slowly getting my trench cleaner and like new....The blue scorch marks on the screen from heat .can you remove them?

so what i learned is you have to regularly maintain this thing. a lot more than a desktop like the EQ..Its kinda organic, the box.You care for it .it cares for you. :) I think it needs at least a daily clean depending on use

by the way did you see the magnet latch link i posted a while back.I watched you chuckle advising about the load spilling in youre pocket.i drop my box quite a bit and its a very sturdy vape takes a few knocks.With the magnets.A drop on a tiled floor from waist height. wont even move the lid.so its kinda cool.I have a few dings in my batteries but no lost load.The batterries always hit the floor first.

before the magnets arrived I ended up dumping my very last load into my pocket as i went off on holidays 2 weeks ago.I was not impressed. :(

JDS Magic flight survival kit vids are here for our new and the odd snob or two vape heads out there :)

Magic Flight The Works

Thanks! I try to mix in noob and expert stuff. My work is finally slowing down so a new crop of vids will be coming soon in the next couple weeks!

When im on the go I'm a gum band guy (or rubber bands for you non-Pittsburgh people lol)

My screen stays really clean. I give it a rigorous brushing after EVERY trench. About once a week I give it a qtip/iso rub down. It basically always looks almost new! Also, consistent trench flipping (after every hit), combined with regular brushing, can help overall with what builds up on the screen. I never let the same surface area of my herb get heated back to back. I make sure no herb is stuck to the screen after each hit. This will prevent herb blackening and make your screen less likely to have any build up over time.

On the subject of the time it takes to finish a trench, using the WPA/PA I combine 2 10-12 second hits (see WPA Double trouble vid)

I get about 6-7 "double hits" out of a pretty much full trench. That is PLENTY for me IMO. I couldn't imagine how vaked I would be if I vaped 2+ trenches back to back! Also, I almost NEVER have black pieces in my herb. Its always a light brown. Correct PA settings combine with correct draw rates will eliminate most blackening

JDSupreme,

andy2011

So Magic Flight are sending me my replacement box (thanks guys!!!) and in the meantime I have still been using my friends new model which is almost unused.

Now I know there has always been a bit of debate on weather the MFLB has a "breaking in period" and I thought I would add my experience.

I can't really recall whether my first box did have a break in period but I do remember that I had a few scorching problems. Any way when I was using my friends I noticed that the box seemed really powerful, I marked it down to using new batteries. For example I would hold the battery in and I could take a hit after 2 seconds pulling at just a bit above steady and it would produce a big vapor cloud with tiny black speckles on the bottom of the trench. I decided to test it with my batteries which I have been using for 6 months and it produced the same results.

With my original box I would have to hold the battery in 7 seconds and pull really slow or pulse pull to get a good hit. I have now started to notice after running a few trenches through it that I am able to leave the battery in a little longer so I guess it's bedding in.

Also on a side note I have the PA and to be honest I was a little underwhelmed, I mean it worked well but I always had the setting on fullest and it would feel just like a fresh battery. I am going to test it with either of these two new models and I'll be able to see if my original box was just running cool.

andy2011,

willieR

Been here since 2009
You might have something incorrect or perhaps the PA isn't working properly. Most here will tell you that you can ignite your trench with the PA at 50% setting.

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Battery Update: I think my Powerex 9000 charger is screwed. One day all of my batteries started behaving badly. I thought this was my new LB causing the issue, then the PA arrived. Clearly the PA is working fine, and the LB is also.

For all by batteries to crap out at the same time, must be the charger. I've tried to "refresh" them, but the charger jst says "HIGH" which I assume is not referring to me.

willieR,

Nycdeisel

Lucky for you, I just read over the instructions that came with my C9000 and apparently when it says HIGH that means that a battery failed a test that is done before the program you chose starts

I would try different batteries.

Nycdeisel,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Geez... Thanks for that. I sent an email to Maha . We'll see what they say or want to do. I think it's the charger

willieR,

sydnee

Vaporus Majorus
JDS--what do you consider a "double hit"? How long of an inhale is that?

I'm just curious because you said you only do one trench at a time. I can easily do two trenches (three if I'm having a "fuck it" kind of a day). I've only been using cannabis regularly for about a year and a half. Been vaping it almost exclusively since Feb 2011. I'm using what I think is pretty good bud, but I'm no connoisseur. Are our differences in consumption due to technique, bud quality, both, neither?

Just wondering. :/

Thanks!

sydnee,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
sydnee said:
JDS--what do you consider a "double hit"? How long of an inhale is that?

I'm just curious because you said you only do one trench at a time. I can easily do two trenches (three if I'm having a "fuck it" kind of a day). I've only been using cannabis regularly for about a year and a half. Been vaping it almost exclusively since Feb 2011. I'm using what I think is pretty good bud, but I'm no connoisseur. Are our differences in consumption due to technique, bud quality, both, neither?

Just wondering. :/

Thanks!

Tolerance, herb quality, etc. can all be factors. I buy the best shit I can buy, so probably a little of both?

Watch WPA Double Trouble

You can do this with no WPA, using batteries or the PA. But with "double trouble" you are basically filling your bong with vapor without inhaling much, then following it up with a second hit, as you inhale the first hit, then you clear the second hit (may have to read that twice but thats it :) ) Watch the video, its better than my ramblings :D I have double hitted while not using the WPA, and it just requires you to hold your breath a little more but it is totally possible

JDSupreme,

GwayLo

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could order the powerex 2700's from in Canada. I tried amazon and they said they don't deliver to my address. Does anyone know a shop online or in montreal where I could buy them?

GwayLo,
Top Bottom