willieR

Been here since 2009
Standard glass would be a lot more brittle than the plexi that's there now, for sure. I don't know about high tech glass either. Just figuring there is likely some sort of space-age glass. Might cost more than the LB also. That's why I asked.

willieR,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
I think they're still using some form of polymer for the space industry. I know someone that works in that area, I'll ask him!

Vaporisateur,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The glass stem for the MFLB has been going out for 2 weeks. Older stock exists at distirbuters warehouses, where stuff moves slower. The glass stems cam be had fat reasonable cost, with free shipping (PuffitUp has them0.. or you can get them cheaper from Blissville, but the shipping is $5 minimum!
My wife's New LB came with a glass tube.. not only that, it is a fraction longer also(the stem... not the box!)

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
No willieR.. her box was in the "kit'.. and was the regular box.. but the stem was glass.
On another note, I also just received a "bare box' within the last week, and it did not have the described small ball either. They must be entering the "stream" at different paces, depending on stock.
I would like to see the new box they describe, but don't feel inconvenienced by the rubber band.

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Plastic by any other name is still a plastic.. BUT....
The LB cover is made of a similar plexiglass that the bongs of the late 60's were made of.
The only thing that could harm that material back then (cause fogging or cracking) was immersion in alcohol.
Many of these bongs are still around and functioning after 40+ years.
I figure the MFLB "window" will be ok!
*@Vaporisateur- I did see the "lol/jk"!

Vitolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Hey Vito. I'm not staying up nights worrying about this, but the durability I'm not worried about. The off-gassing happens and the plastic still works and functions.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
willieR said:
Side note: Given the growing concerns of heating plastic, has anyone ever entertained a high-strength glass top?

Ignoring cost and fragility issues, why are you concerned about the Plexiglas cover? If you use it normally, the cover barely gets warm. If you run a 60 second heating cycle, the cover still doesn't get more than mildly warm. Acrylics are used to make tumblers and mugs that are often used to serve beverages that get much warmer than the cover of the LB does. I think your concern is misplaced.

pakalolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Thanks Paka. Using your mug analogy, how many decades have we been served hot coffee in styrofoam cups? All the while a carcinogen it turns out. So the fact that we are served coffee in acrylic isn't a comfort, I'm afraid.

As I said, I don't stay up nights worrying about the plexi lid on my LB. Just was asking. It would be nice to avoid scratches also...

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I couldn't tell from that pic if the ball was solid or had a spring under it. Given the small size, I believe it cannot be the type with the spring. I've installed several LBs with the spring mounted ball catch and they work great. Given the slight looseness of the LB lid, I'm sure this works as well.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
willieR said:
Thanks Paka. Using your mug analogy, how many decades have we been served hot coffee in styrofoam cups? All the while a carcinogen it turns out. So the fact that we are served coffee in acrylic isn't a comfort, I'm afraid.

As I said, I don't stay up nights worrying about the plexi lid on my LB. Just was asking. It would be nice to avoid scratches also...

It's true styrene has been listed as a carcinogen, yet foam plastic containers continue to be used to serve us hot food and beverages millions of times daily. Here's the thing: if foam plastic containers posed a cancer risk beyond the general level we're exposed to all the time, then there should have been a noticeable increase in cancers corresponding to the adaption curve showing up somewhere by now. It's been fifty years. Given the level of adaption, it shouldn't be hard to find at all--but nobody has.

I am pretty sure that every breath I take while I'm stuck in traffic contains way more cancer risk than huffing on my LB. I can't prove it, of course, but I bet I can make a better case for it than you can for heat-related toxins from your LB cover.

pakalolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Funny how people use the following arguments:

If it was bad for us, they wouldn't give it to us.
Everything is carcinogenic, so why bother?
It's been around for decades so it can't be harmful.

As it turns out, most plastics and their components have now come under scrutiny. BPA, Styrene, Formaldehyde, etc, etc. You yourself are using all of these arguments in your rationale.

The same argument was had when asbestos was finally identified as harmful. Lead paint as well.

Make no mistake. Large corporations are spending millions to keep their products off that list. Styrene fought that battle for years. Refuting data, counter-research, etc. There are thousands of compounds that we are exposed to that will someday be on that list.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
willieR, I am not the fool you take me for. Having said that, this is not the place to prove it.

pakalolo,

Gongvape

Hey guys I got the picture thing figuared out...sweet

So here is a pic of the little ball. There is no spring it is fixed in place. It works prefect the wire that the cover pivots on has plenty of down pressure to keep it looked in place.
782557391_photobucket_63731_.jpg

Gongvape,

willieR

Been here since 2009
That's pretty sweet. Simple. I would think there would not be much wear on the lid as it is slid over that pin over the course of months. Nice tweak.

So all new units will have this at some point I assume?

willieR,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
Willie, since you said you modified a couple LB's similar to that, what type of glue would you recommend one use to do the same as above?

Vaporisateur,

morninglight

I've been waiting and waiting to order the PA. Is it time to do so? Will it ever be non-beta? I still just use the original 2 batteries it came with...

morninglight,
Top Bottom