Cannibearus

Got my LB a little over a week ago and am loving it. Still learning how to best use it, combusted the trench for the first time last night so I am still adjusting.

Cannibearus,

collegerower

One thing I know I would love is if Magic-Flight would come on here and let us know when there is an updated version, and what the updates are.

I find myself always wondering whats new, and why. Anyone else agree?

collegerower,

evilferret

DeepFried said:
stuey said:
I'm after some stronger batteries.
What would people recommend?
I dont want any battery that is thicker than the standard eneloops, just a higher current rating.
Thanks

You must be fucking joking, this whole thread is full of battery and charger recommendations, did you bother to read any of it?

evilferret said:
I only seem to find pain relief when I get close to combustion. Currently looking for a indoor PV that goes as close to 500 degrees as possible. With the LB it takes a long time to get to the pain relief/couch lock.

The LB can reach 500f, the real trick for what you want is to let it pre heat long enough before hitting it. With a fresh finely ground trench and a fully charged battery, put the battery in for at least 6 seconds or until just before combustion to give the box a chance to get to 500f before the air coming in from your hit starts to cool it.

Without a long enough pre heat it is hard to get to and hold the higher temps. Pre heat each subsequent hit also.

I guess I just need to be braver. I keep chickening out when I think the battery gets too hot. Thanks for the tip, will definitely try.

evilferret,

cluffy

Vaker
Try putting the vinyl battery cap on the end you push on. More comfortable and you barely feel the heat.

cluffy,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
collegerower said:
One thing I know I would love is if Magic-Flight would come on here and let us know when there is an updated version, and what the updates are.

Agree... I got my first LB about a year ago.. My number on that one is like 50246.... I like it so much I got a second one about 3 weeks ago... I now keep my old one as a backup... The second one has several new things my Old one dont have.. The light, the push back ring, this like little o-ring thing around the round whole where the trench is located..

I agree I wish they would tell us what new updates are done..

But I like having my old one.. I think the numbers on them now are approching 300000 So maybe someday my old one will be a collectiable.. LOL

Kuroth1,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Kuroth1 said:
collegerower said:

Agree... I got my first LB about a year ago.. My number on that one is like 50246.... I like it so much I got a second one about 3 weeks ago... I now keep my old one as a backup... The second one has several new things my Old one dont have.. The light, the push back ring, this like little o-ring thing around the round whole where the trench is located..

I agree I wish they would tell us what new updates are done..

But I like having my old one.. I think the numbers on them now are approching 300000 So maybe someday my old one will be a collectiable.. LOL

A few weeks back MF said something about a special edition box. Possibly a darker wood? How sick would a dark myrtlewood LB be?!?! I plan on getting a second LB when if/when they put out a new edition. My number from a month ago is 655806

JDSupreme,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
CombustionJunction said:
Here's a question from an idiot...

Why not just buy the batteries that come with the MFLB?

That's a good question. I'll tell you why I don't, but others may have other reasons. :)

The extra batteries for the LB are expensive at Magic Flight and BlissSville. I can get more batteries, for cheaper prices, at Thomas Distrubuting. Newegg also has good prices as well, but I tend to stick with Thomas because I have always had exceptional customer service with them.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355002

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

I also like to be able to chose the MAH of my battery, and whether they are low discharge, or not. I also have this charger, and I LOVE it. It is a bit expensive, and not really necessary. However, I always know the capacity of my batteries at the end of the charge, and I really like that. :D

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

Vicki,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So it finally happened. I got distracted and left a battery in for, well, I don't know how long but three or four minutes for sure. I noticed the smell, and by then the battery was hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. Fortunately I was just finishing a load. The top just looked dark brown, but from just below the surface all the way down to the bottom it was completely black. This is basically how the LB was designed to behave, according to posts here from magicflight. Anyway, screen cleaned up nicely and no lingering odor so I'm happy.

deepfried wrote:

The LB can reach 500f, the real trick for what you want is to let it pre heat long enough before hitting it. With a fresh finely ground trench and a fully charged battery, put the battery in for at least 6 seconds or until just before combustion to give the box a chance to get to 500f before the air coming in from your hit starts to cool it.

The interesting thing is that I never did get combustion--there was no smoke and the black stuff is not ash. Since combustion starts at 451 degrees F I am sure it never reached 500.

pakalolo,

seafare

AC adapter update?

Their last official post I think a month ago said they were 1-2 weeks from customer beta tests.

seafare,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Vicki said:
Vicki said:
UPS just dropped off my Maha C9000 charger. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm gonna have to use the "break in" mode for a lot of my batteries, so it could take a while to get through all my batteries. :lol:

According to the instructions, under break in mode:

Requires 39 to 45 hours to complete

Ok, here's a quick update. I've only had this charger since last evening, so this will not be a thorough review. I decided to use "break in" mode for all my batteries. They all really need to be brought back to life.

I started with my oldest batteries, the Eneloops. It's not done yet, but it says they are all over 3000 MAH. This is nice because I can actually see the progress of the batteries, and the end result. So far, I like it a lot. :)

Another Update:

Ok, I finally finished the break in cycle for all my batteries today, yes today. That only took about 9 days. :lol:

My Eneloops averaged around 1975 MAH when they were finished. The Ansmann 2500, low discharge averaged around 2300 MAH. The Powerex 2700 MAH averaged around 2500 MAH. All averages were less than the listed MAH. I hope this isn't due to my old charger getting the batteries too hot to touch.

I'm starting my first regular charge cycle on the Powerex 2700 MAH, and am anxious to see what the final MAH ends up being. I'm also curious how long a regular charge cycle will take as well. When using the "break-in" cycle, the batteries never got hot, but they are already much hotter on the regular charge cycle. We'll see how hot they are at the end, and I'll report back again. :)

Vicki,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
451 is paper herb may combust or start around 472-548 may b depends on time temp & other tings

Source, please? I'm not trying to argue, but I haven't seen that temperature from a source I would trust. (Present company excluded ;) )

I know that's also the ignition point for paper. 233C (451F) is the most commonly quoted combustion temperature I've seen for marijuana, however. For example, that's the temperature magicflight has given in his posts. The vaporizer study by Gieringer, St. Laurent, and Goodrich says, "...the point of combustion where smoke and associated toxins are produced (near 230C)." That's 446F.

I've not done the measurement myself, of course. I concede that conditions such as dryness can make a difference, but I think calling it 451F is fair.

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
perhaps yup ok i stand corrected thcx :o

Sorry, wasn't trying to correct you. If you try to find out the exact ignition temperature, you discover that there's lots of opinions and few facts. That study is just about the only source I could find that I'd trust. (magicflight is another.) I was hoping that you'd have a reliable source that I hadn't seen.

pakalolo,

george

when i combusted, it was really weird. My herb "cherried" after taking to many hits to close together, the herb was really really fine too.

george,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
collegerower said:

I would LOVE to know as well. I am looking to get one in the next week but don't know if I should wait for an updated one, but yeah i want to know what the updates will be.

Honestly, I read about 4000 posts in this whole thread. WOW. definitely a lot.

I really want one know though. I think I have learned a lot. lol

Elluzion,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
Vicki said:
CombustionJunction said:
Here's a question from an idiot...

Why not just buy the batteries that come with the MFLB?

That's a good question. I'll tell you why I don't, but others may have other reasons. :)

The extra batteries for the LB are expensive at Magic Flight and BlissSville. I can get more batteries, for cheaper prices, at Thomas Distrubuting. Newegg also has good prices as well, but I tend to stick with Thomas because I have always had exceptional customer service with them.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817355002

I also like to be able to chose the MAH of my battery, and whether they are low discharge, or not. I also have this charger, and I LOVE it. It is a bit expensive, and not really necessary. However, I always know the capacity of my batteries at the end of the charge, and I really like that. :D

Thank you, Vicki!!!! That's a great explanation!!!

CombustionJunction,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Vicki said:
I'm starting my first regular charge cycle on the Powerex 2700 MAH, and am anxious to see what the final MAH ends up being.

Too bad you'll never know by doing a regular charge. Any charger only knows how much mAh it put into the battery, but without discharging the battery first; how will the charger know how many mAh were already in the battery when you put it in the charger?

pakalolo said:
perhaps yup ok i stand corrected thcx :o

Sorry, wasn't trying to correct you. If you try to find out the exact ignition temperature, you discover that there's lots of opinions and few facts. That study is just about the only source I could find that I'd trust. (magicflight is another.) I was hoping that you'd have a reliable source that I hadn't seen.

The combustion temp + or - 100 degrees doesn't matter too much in our case IMO. The herb is subjected to the high temp for such a short time period that it won't combust under normal circumstances. It takes 5 seconds to reach 400f and guessing maybe another 3 to get to 500f and as soon as you start hitting it, the temp will drop again.

Take ground up herb and put it in your oven at 500f, it isn't going to instantly incinerate, it will need to be subjected to that heat for quite some time before any form of combustion takes place. Remember also no ash... no combustion. Herb that turned black is just overheated, not combusted.

The Columbia Encyclopedia: ash = solid residue of combustion

DeepFried,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
DeepFried said:
Vicki said:
I'm starting my first regular charge cycle on the Powerex 2700 MAH, and am anxious to see what the final MAH ends up being.

Too bad you'll never know by doing a regular charge. Any charger only knows how much mAh it put into the battery, but without discharging the battery first; how will the charger know how many mAh were already in the battery when you put it in the charger?

Yes, I discovered that. I don't want to have to discharge batteries everytime, so I guess I'll never know. I am happy to find out that a regular charge cycle is very fast. :D

I do love this charger. I can honestly say that having a better than average charger and batteries makes all the difference in my LB experience. :D

Vicki,

VejgaardCity

Received mine yesterday. It is simply AWESOME. The constant inhaling method, described in the manual works great. :ko:

VejgaardCity,

stuey

DeepFried said:
stuey said:
I'm after some stronger batteries.
What would people recommend?
I dont want any battery that is thicker than the standard eneloops, just a higher current rating.
Thanks

You must be fucking joking, this whole thread is full of battery and charger recommendations, did you bother to read any of it?

So you dont actually know know either. You used more words in telling me the thread is full of recommendations than simply making a recommendation of your own

Thanks for taking the time to tell me nothing.

stuey,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
stuey, the Powerex 2700 MAH are very good with the LB, but not low discharge. There are also the Ansmann 2500 MAH low discharge, and they work well with the LB as well. I currently use both, as well as the old Eneloops that originally came with the LB. I hope that helps. :)

Vicki,
Top Bottom