in_rainbows

Long time lurker but now that I have a vape I thought I'd make an account. Anyway, I decided to go with the launch box after reading up on it on here and a couple other sites. Based on some recommendations from friends I got it from vapenow. Does anyone know if they have the new version? I definitely paid the new price and I would kind of feel screwed out of a few bucks if I end up with the old one. In all honesty though it was my mistake for not going with the official distributer. Oh well. Anyone know if vapenow has the new one? I contacted them but they have yet to get back to me.

Thanks

Ian

in_rainbows,

in_rainbows

sundaddy said:
There's not a "new" version. Besides the new little light.
I heard it was an added light, that it ran a bit warmer and that it came with a grinder and reusable packaging :|. Or was it the old one that ran a bit warmer and the beta that ran cooler? I'm confused, someone please clear this up for me.

in_rainbows,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
magicflight said:
Dak said:
Is there anyway to get the new model of the Magic Flight Launch Box without shelling out another 90 dollars? I only ordered mine on 1/05 and didn't realize there was supposed to be a new model coming out. Sure the fix for the heat sounds great, but I can't really afford to replace the old model that I just got a few days ago.
Hi,

Important clarification: There is no new model -- the only thing being discussed is new packaging. We have been getting a lot of questions about "when is the new model coming out?" and "should I wait to purchase?" -- so I wanted to state for the record that the Box itself is unchanged. It works in exactly the same way as previously. We are merely changing the packaging from cardboard (which people usually discard) to tin (which people usually keep). This is in accordance with our ongoing incremental efforts at an improved environmental policy.

Since there are a lot of different vendors ordering from us on many varied purchasing cycles, it may be some time before the new packaging is visible at all locations. Please have patience with whichever vendor you are ordering from. The only reason I mentioned it here on FC was to give everyone a "heads up" in advance of our making the change.

-- Magic-flight

Happycamper,

in_rainbows

Hey thanks a ton for clearing that up. Guess the packaging doesn't really matter too much to me and I already ordered a 4 piece grinder so no worries. Now I just have to wait out the shipping period.

Thanks again

Ian

in_rainbows,

aero18

vaporist
wthanna said:
I agree. Keep it simple. One of the strengths of the Launch Box is its simplicity. Switches break. This has been discussed at length in past posts.
This wouldn't add to the complexity of the box itself, it could just be an adaptor that attaches itself to the box.

aero18,

chloe

Hi MF,

I am a heavy box user, (2-4 bowls daily?) Since owning the batteries, I tend to use the box much more vs when I was limited with subpar batteries.

My question is to do with the screen. I know you've mentioned how delicate the screen is and only a brush should be used so delicately.

However, I've had such a thick buildup on it (probably 2mm thick)...it happened so gradually I thought it was just the screen or the copper piece that connects the mesh.

The other day I was curious if it was the mesh so I started to scrap VERY delicately with an ear picker (since the brush cannot be used to dislodge resin that is just fused into the mesh). I scraped so much resin/plant off that it filled the trench. (in hindsight I should've taken pics). There were still lil bits here and there so I plugged in a new battery alternating batteries until it burnt off the remaining residue. The bottom of the box got quite hot but the mesh looked quite clean (like new again). It seems to allow the battery to work more efficiently but the mesh when clean is like sticky tape to the plant (maybe daily maintenance is required)...this cleaning is not recommended but I did take great care when I did this...

My question which was asked I think by me before and I did get an answer but I would like to make sure since with the new power adapter, the push button was incorporated so that we wouldn't accidentally leave the unit on (which may not be good for it) which is for the good of the box I'm assuming...

So if that is the case, how long through your testing can this box run non-stop before something 'bad' happens...does the mesh come off if heated for too long? Is that even possible that the temperature gets too hot that the mesh loses its fusion....I understand in normal usage this is not a problem but, but scenarios such as:

1) cleaning the trench by heating the mesh for a period to burn off any left over residue
2) group situations where the box gets continually passed around by say 4 people (in this scenario, it is quite possible to leave the unit on continually until the bowl needs emptying and refilling which then gets the process repeated)

I guess I just want to know how confident I can be when I use the box this extensively and what is the recommended usage pattern of the box

ie.
box can only be on for a max of say 2mins before it must rest for 1min (since with many batteries or the power module, overheating batteries is no longer the issue, but now comes down to what the box can withstand...

Thanks again for 2009's best product of the year (in my books), you've made the impossible possible...by that I mean, I vape in front of my parents in complete stealth at the dinner table...i'm sure everyone has there story....maybe on your site you should have a place where fans (like myself) can share where the box has taken them...the box is very liberating to say the least...

Where I've take my "Launch" box...
...dinner table with my parents
...poker game
...theatre
...taco bell
...playing bball at the gym
...inlaws :)
...conference calls

i'm sure my list maybe tame to some others that dared to take the box deeper

chloe,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
nickzzzx said:
That would be awesome if there was a some kind of battery compartment and a button used to turn it on and off.
It would make the MF seem more complete, ya know?
Eliminating the external use of the battery and making it internal (inside the box) would simplify the design overall and make for an increased ease of use, especially in 'stealthy' situations or in situations where someone may not (physically) be able to hold both the battery and the box at the same time.
Maybe the reason why there is no internal battery compartment is because the battery only lasts about 1 trench, causing the need to change batteries often. But then again, I'm sure some people only use one trench a day (and 1 battery).

Just some thoughts...
I said this a while back, in a thread comparing portables. I almost didn't buy the Launch Box because I didn't like the battery sticking out.

In the end, I decided to buy it anyway because of the smallness of it and discretion it offers, but I would love to see a version with the battery inside, with a switch. I'd pay extra for that, not sure how much extra...?

I also like the idea of a wooden top - I think it would be more discreet. Maybe I'm crazy but I think if someone sees the box and can't see the herb inside they are very unlikely to think it's for herb. But if they see the herb in the trench, it's a dead giveaway!

Don't get me wrong, I love the LB. I'm just sayin' that I agree with these ideas for a potential "luxury" version. I'd probably pay an extra $20 for these 2 changes : the wooden cover and the battery enclosed with a switch. And I'd be willing to accept, say, a 3 year warranty vs. a lifetime warranty due to the switch... Is that reasonable?

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I noticed this shortly after I got my LB but brushed it off as "no problem". Now I am wondering if it might lead to my LB running a bit too cool for my liking. Here's the photo I finally got around to taking. It shows that the screen on one side has come loose from the groove in the side where it should be. I am not sure how it got this way, as I do not recall dropping it or anything but in any case, I just want to know if this would affect how it works. If no, then no problem.

I still haven't gotten around to running that "test" LB recommended to check if my box was getting hot enough but will probably do so tonight or tomorrow.

Anyway here's the photo to show the screen coming loose from the groove. The screen does not feel "loose", it's just that it is not where it is apparently supposed to be: (now that I look at it here on the screen it's not the best photo but I think you can see that the screen is down about - what? - 1/16" to 3/32" from where it should be in the groove. If you need a better photo I will try again.):

lbscreen.jpg

MoeOnTheMoon,

sundaddy

I took a paper clip, rounded over the end, bent it at the right angle and you can go up through the hole and pop it back in.

sundaddy,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi,

First off, we will be updating the brushes to be a little stiffer -- this will probably help with cleaning. Also, dont forget to use a little ISO to finish -- will help with the stickiness.

chloe said:
...with the new power adapter, (is) the push button incorporated so that we wouldn't accidentally leave the unit on(?)...
Yes. This has been thought of.

chloe said:
how long .. can this box run non-stop before something 'bad' happens?
With batteries, until the battery runs out. Leaving the battery in overlong could potentially overheat the battery, but will not damage the Box.

With the power adapter, the Box cannot be left on (high power) for more than 12 minutes continuously.

chloe said:
...does the mesh come off if heated for too long?
No. The bonding energy is *much* higher than the operating energy. There are no situations where the bonding is at risk from overheating with time and a battery. The main concerns with the screen are mechanical (pulling, tearing, puncture, etc).

chloe said:
Thanks again for 2009's best product of the year.
You are most welcome! We would love to hear stories of the most interesting/unlikely places where the Box has been used. I am sure that other readers would be interested too. Who has the most outrageous story?

-- Magic-flight

Last edited by a moderator:
magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
MoeOnTheMoon said:
... I am wondering if it might lead to my LB running a bit too cool for my liking
Hi,

The placement of the screen in that location has no effect on the operating temp of the Box.
As long as the screen is all the way to the side, it should be fine. The screen groove is for cosmetic purposes, so as long as it does not get pushed all of the way down, your Box should work good.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

chloe

Thanks MF for the reply.

For clarification, since I have more than enough batteries to exceed 12 minutes, is the 12 minute mark a limitation on the power module or the box? If it is the power module, then how long can the box be left on with the assumption that I have unlimited batteries. (I have large group sessions maybe ;)

So if the limitation is 12 minutes but there is no effect on the mesh debonding, I am curious what actually happens after 12minutes (this question assumes of course the 12 minute limitation is due to the box)

Last question is how long should we wait after the 12 minute limitation to commence usage?

Thanks again

chloe,

ClemsonVapor489

I may be wrong, but I took the 12 minutes to be an arbitrarily selected number, somewhere safely below the time at which damage has been caused. It's just where they've chosen to set the automatic shut-off.

ClemsonVapor489,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
magicflight said:
We would love to hear stories of the most interesting/unlikely places where the Box has been used. I am sure that other readers would be interested too. Who has the most outrageous story?

-- Magic-flight
I don't know about "outrageous", but I've used the Launch Box at the White House. More than once.

Really.

Haywood

Last edited by a moderator:
Haywood,

aero18

vaporist
Haywood said:
magicflight said:
We would love to hear stories of the most interesting/unlikely places where the Box has been used. I am sure that other readers would be interested too. Who has the most outrageous story?

-- Magic-flight
I don't know about "outrageous", but I've used the Launch Box at the White House. More than once.

Really.

Haywood
Hahaha, "I don't think of this as something outrageous, but I toked up in the White House. I KNOW! REALLY!!"

I am too baked. :ko:

aero18,

chloe

Haywood said:
magicflight said:

-- Magic-flight

Really.

Haywood
lol...its gonna be hard to top that

chloe,

Geofresh

So the plexiglass on my unity literally snapped off. I had the plexiglass to the side as I was loading a trench and I dropped my LB. It fell and hit and somehow the cover broke basically in half. Anyone have any similar experience? I found this to be very odd as it broke seemingly so easily.

Magic Flight, what should I do about a cover now.

Geofresh,

darkarchives

I got my LB in the mail yesterday, and although I have fallen in love with the design and portability, I'm still having a little bit of trouble with it. The biggest problem I've been having is determining how hard to pull, ie. getting vapor as opposed to combustion. Me and my roommates were giving it a really slow pull, but I think we weren't really doing it right as it all was eventually black. Also, I think I have been somewhat under packing it, if the groove is only there for cosmetic purposes can you safely pack it above the trench? In my opinion both Magicflight and Blissville are fantastic companies, I'm just worried that I'm not giving a fantastic product the treatment it deserves. Can anyone give me some advice?

darkarchives,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
darkarchives said:
I got my LB in the mail yesterday, and although I have fallen in love with the design and portability, I'm still having a little bit of trouble with it. The biggest problem I've been having is determining how hard to pull, ie. getting vapor as opposed to combustion. Me and my roommates were giving it a really slow pull, but I think we weren't really doing it right as it all was eventually black. Also, I think I have been somewhat under packing it, if the groove is only there for cosmetic purposes can you safely pack it above the trench? In my opinion both Magicflight and Blissville are fantastic companies, I'm just worried that I'm not giving a fantastic product the treatment it deserves. Can anyone give me some advice?
Basically follow the directions given with it. ;)

It sounds like you are leaving the battery in too long without taking it out and/or not turning it over so the herb doesn't stay in one place and burn on the bottom.

So here's what I do:
Put the battery in and look at the hole, wait til you see some vapor appearing through the hole. Then breathe in but very VERY slowly and lightly. Just enough to entice the vapor to come forward to your mouth/lungs... no more, no less.

If it starts to taste a little burnt popcorn-y, then breathe in quicker. At the end of my breath I like to give it a hard inhale to make the herb swirl around, just before I pull the battery out and turn it over, but that is not necessary, the hard inhale I mean. But you should turn it over or at least shake it. I do both as soon as I'm done inhaling.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I figured out that the main reason my LB was not heating up enough was that I was using used-too-many-times weak batteries.

While you can get vapor with weak batteries, you cannot get good amounts of vapor with weak batteries. Since I use my LB infrequently I would use the batteries a couple times fresh, then let it sit for a day or two, then use those batteries again. You'd think that would work, but it seems not to work well that way with my batteries (I use the LB batteries, Powerex, and some off brand - all seem to not hold a strong charge for more than a day).

It seems I need to use FRESH batteries each time in order to get a good hit. I might get 3-4 hits off fresh batteries, but if I let them sit for a day, then no, they have become too weak by that time.

I am guessing maybe the new Eneloop(?) batteries they are shipping might be better in this regard. Can anyone verify? Have you tried using them for a hit or two, then using them the next day before recharging again?

So yesterday I started to do the "test" Magic Flight had told me to try, where I would load it and let it run for 2 minutes without touching it to see if it burns. Well, I loaded it and put in a fresh 2700Amh battery, and within 30 sec. or less, vapor was piping out of it like crazy, and it was apparent to me it was certainly going to burn the heck out of the herb if I left it in another 30 seconds, let alone 2 min..

So I bailed out of the test knowing that it must just be that I had been using weak batteries most of the time. I think what fooled me was the the light still shone relatively bright, so I figured the battery must be strong enough to give a good hit. Apparently that is not so.

Anyway, so after bailing out of the test, I took a hit and it really made me cough - (maybe the strain?). It really ripped my throat so I said, "Let me try that silicon tube I bought with my LB". I had only tried it once before.

Wow! With the silicon tube, I got a really good hit, it somehow seemed easier for me to breathe in at just the right rate to get a nice volume of vapor. The silicon tube made it so I didn't cough, part of which is from its cooling the vapor quite a bit even though it's only about - what? - 10" long.

Has anyone else tried the long stem, the silicon tube or the little long tube with the bubble in it? I tried all these yesterday and really liked them. Of course they're a bit bulky to carry around for portable discreet use. I'd hate it if I accidentally pulled that tube out of my pocket at the supermarket...
:o "What's that?" "
Uhhhhhhhhh....." :uhoh:

While some say the box is best used "native" I am thinking it may be best used with the supplementary tube or straws! I have to do more experimentation and then get back to you after I run some more tests! :brow:

MoeOnTheMoon,

B.

War Criminal
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Of course they're a bit bulky to carry around for portable discreet use. I'd hate it if I accidentally pulled that tube out of my pocket at the supermarket...
:o "What's that?" "
Uhhhhhhhhh....." :uhoh:

While some say the box is best used "native" I am thinking it may be best used with the supplementary tube or straws! I have to do more experimentation and then get back to you after I run some more tests! :brow:
I accidentally pulled my box out of my pocket at walmart when I was reaching for my wallet to pay...my stoner ninja reflexes kicked in and I scooped the box up off the ground nanoseconds after it hit.

I agree that native is great for stealth, but if I can I love using the attachments. At home I hook my LB to my GonG, and although itdoesn't milk it like my SSV can, I can get some huge rips. Otherwise I use the tubing or the long straight stem. I use the short stem combined with some other random tubing I have around for the bong setup.

I also agree that the batteries need to be fresh. If I use a battery, even for one hit, I try to be sure and recharge it.

B.,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Needing/using glass and water with the LB just blows my mind, i know they all run slightly different in heat, but i know I would never need water for mine. A VERY light vape already. Looking forward to these car adapters whenever available.

MagicFlight, will I be able to purchase only the car adaptor? With my vape selection i just dont see myself ever using this at home. My PD is just always running and read.

IAmKrazy2,

nickzzzx

Ordered: 1/13 (Wednesday)
Received: 1/16 (Saturday)
California to Florida

I LOVE THIS THING!
Got a great hit my first try (been vaping for 2 years), and got very nicely stoned off one trench of decent quality compressed mexican brick. I think this thing is ingenious and the ultimate stealth vape. I'm so glad I bought it and couldn't be happier with the price.

nickzzzx,
Top Bottom