magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
New_World said:
is there a set date for the home adapter to come out?
There have been some internal issues which have come up and which are pending. We are expecting to release these soon -- within a few weeks, but no new exact date has been set. (We had been planning on releasing them Nov 2nd, but that obviously has not happened). It is our aim to have these available for the holiday season for sure.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

vape4health

Oh man , I been looking for something to stick on a battery to keep it from shorting on anything , my girl gave me a cap from some chap stick , it fits perfect , like it was made for it . Now I can throw a few batts in my pocket and not worry about them being dead when I need them . ;)

Do we need to worry about these batteries giving off any fumes , like should I make a couple holes in the cap to let it vent .

vape4health,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
vape4health said:
Oh man , I been looking for something to stick on a battery to keep it from shorting on anything , my girl gave me a cap from some chap stick , it fits perfect , like it was made for it . Now I can throw a few batts in my pocket and not worry about them being dead when I need them . ;)

Do we need to worry about these batteries giving off any fumes , like should I make a couple holes in the cap to let it vent .
That is a good idea.. chapstick cap, I know the battery vents during charging but after I doubt any significant amount otherwise devices that use AA batteries that are waterproof would have issues with their sealed battery chambers.

DeepFried,

vape4health

Your probly right DeepFried .

I got to test it out today , 3 batteries and some change in a pocket , no burning hot pennies or anything . The caps all stayed on good , but for something like snow boarding , I found that out of like 5 different caps that I tested , they all fit a little different . All good but some where very tight and others would just " click " on .

vape4health,

itriplots

vape4health, I just had a decent idea for a system that would keep the batteries from shorting. You could buy some elastic band and then sew little loops of it to stretch over the battery so that it goes around the whole batter and covers both ends. Then you could color one side of the band with a sharpie and then flip the band over to the sharpied side when the battery is spent. If you made the rings the right size so that they were pretty tight (might take a little figuring out) I bet they would stay on the batteries really well.

itriplots,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Some batteries come with a case when you buy them.

An insulated case would be great for skiing

bluntfaced,

max

Out to lunch
You can get battery cases free when you order various brands/packs from Thomas Dist. Since they generally have the best battery prices anyway....

max,

annaK

does the light on the launch box simply indicate that the battery is making proper contact?

annaK,

Monsoon

annaK said:
does the light on the launch box simply indicate that the battery is making proper contact?
Yes, which is great if you have a loose fitting battery. It also dims a bit as the battery gets near the end.

Monsoon,

philmcneal

vap3 master
edit:
my bad i emailed the guy directly :p
great unit, the more grinded it is, the better! and remember to shake it up every puff so it heats it up evenly otherwise you get green and black mixed together.

philmcneal,

aero18

vaporist
philmcneal said:
hi magic flight i was wondering, if i order like 10 vapes or something, can i get a discount for each one? I was thinking of selling them in my headshop since its so successful, let me know!
I would send something like this directly to them in an email.

aero18,

Monsoon

philmcneal said:
edit:
my bad i emailed the guy directly :p
great unit, the more grinded it is, the better! and remember to shake it up every puff so it heats it up evenly otherwise you get green and black mixed together.
As I've experienced and others have reported, it seems to run a bit hotter when you first get it. I don't get any black bits anymore. Quarter to half trenches seem to work a lot better as well. I usually just grind it with my fingers which gets it very fine.

Monsoon,

digglover

What are your experiences with the batteries fitting everyone?

I got mine quite a while ago but have only used it maybe 15 times. My issue is I find it very difficult to get good contact with the battery and in turn it is tough to get vapor.

I definitely do get it eventually, but I really have to jiggle for quite a while (1-3 minutes) between hits...

Is my box funny or am I missing something stupidly simple? It'd be nice if the box had an LED that would light up indicating contact (no idea if this is feasible. Just saying)...

When I do make contact though, the box performs like a charm. sometimes I can even get couch inducing clouds from it haha.

digglover,

aero18

vaporist
digglover said:

I got mine quite a while ago but have only used it maybe 15 times. My issue is I find it very difficult to get good contact with the battery and in turn it is tough to get vapor.

I definitely do get it eventually, but I really have to jiggle for quite a while (1-3 minutes) between hits...

Is my box funny or am I missing something stupidly simple? It'd be nice if the box had an LED that would light up indicating contact (no idea if this is feasible. Just saying)...

When I do make contact though, the box performs like a charm. sometimes I can even get couch inducing clouds from it haha.
I never had any problems with contact. Only have to slide it in and it works. And there are LED's in the Launch Box units now. Works very well. :)

aero18,

rayski

digglover said:

My issue is I find it very difficult to get good contact with the battery and in turn it is tough to get vapor.

Just pushing the battery into the Box and constant pressure usually works for me. If not, I twist the battery as it makes contact and then hold it in place.

rayski,

looney puffs

First post on FC, but I would like to add a few things to this review, just my personal cons:

-Be careful when ordering, I accidently got the launch tube and had to send it back with some more money for the box, the launch tube is a shittier version that the company started out with and improved to make the launch box.

-Read directions, as cool as this little gadget is, ive learned that it's incredibly easy to start a fire with the batteries. I had them in my pocket with my car keys, and it mentioned in the instructions to be careful about that but I undermined it, in the middle of a lecture i felt the inside of my pocket and burned myself, if I hadn't my pants would probably have started to smoke and ignite, which is far from stealthy.

-The batteries themselves are frustrating to work with at certain times, I have left them on a table for a few days and will pick them up to use and they will have no charge, it takes several hours to charge them, so this can work against you. I would recommend that if you buy this you should pay an extra 2 dollars or so for spare batteries, I'm not sure where they sell em.

-It covers this in the instructions too, but it's worth mentioning to someone considering to buy, if you don't have a rubber band or something of that nature it's fairly easy to have the glass slide off and let your herbals get lost in your pocket/bag/whereever.

-There is no safety shut off mechanism in the device, it is two prongs that attach to different parts of a special double A battery and can get very hot, don't set your house on fire by being forgetful.

-The site says each battery lasts for roughly a bowl, this is a lie, if they are charged they can last for several with full effects, then it starts getting weaker.

Would I recommend this? Yes I completely would, if stealth and portability are your main concerns, if stealth isn't a concern, find something else.

looney puffs,

Ihop

I have two sets of stock batteries digglover. All I've ever had to do is push the battery in and twist a little, 2-3 seconds later I have vapor. Playing with the battery 1-3 mins. ain't right; e-mail magicflight they will fix you up.

Ihop,

digglover

Ihop said:
I have two sets of stock batteries digglover. All I've ever had to do is push the battery in and twist a little, 2-3 seconds later I have vapor. Playing with the battery 1-3 mins. ain't right; e-mail magicflight they will fix you up.
I sent them an email about it.
Thanks for everyone's info on my issue.

digglover,

Longburn

Hi all,

I have gained a lot from the many informative postings of this excellent vaping website so here's some first impressions of my recently purchased Launch Box.

Firstly the people at Blissville were very good with processing my order and emailing responses to all my questions promptly. I am also very impressed with the information and responses of Magic Flight on this message board. First class!

I already have a Silver Surfer which I find to be a very good vape. However, I have been wanting to find a 'back up' vape, as well as something that is portable, and as the price seemed reasonable the Launch Box felt worth a punt.

First looks; It is small, unbelievably small and discreet.

At first when I used it I didn't seem to get much in the way of vapor such as I got from my Silver Surfer (not that the visual cue of vapor is the main thing, rather whether or not it effectively vaporizers your herb is what counts). But when I passed it to my partner I could see vapor swirling around under the clear top, which I hadn't seen/noticed when I used it (sometimes it is the angle of the light!). However when she breathed out it was clear she had combusted it somewhat (a strong burnt popcorn smell etc).

Having read various postings underlining the need to inhale slowly I thought I understood that already, but actually it has taken me a few 'tests' to realise that my slow was not enough,
the inhale has to be s l o w ! ! !

Once I retrained myself to inhale slower I started to get visible vapor, not as big/dense as the surfer but now I could at least see something. As one poster said, it gets the job done! I agree it does, and for such a small little unit that is portable it does that very well. I particularly like the fact that it doesnt use a lighter as it looks like it'd work great on the rare occasions I go fishing when it's windy and difficult to use a lighter when I am huddled on the rocks waiting for the fish to bite!

The rechargable batteries that came it seem to last well enough to vape a couple of trenches. Altho I am thinking of getting a 4 X AA/AAA Energiser unit that I saw in the supermarket for a reasonably cheap price as these (from memory) were about 2450 mha, so I guess they would pack a bit more of a punch and last a bit longer than the ones shipped with the unit. The little glow of the light that comes on when the battery is in place is excellent for showing that you have contact as without it I realize there would be times where I thought the battery was in contact but actually it wasn't, I guess without the light one would just have to maintain a sense of pressure against the battery to ensure contact is being made. The glow of the light decreases as the battery power is diminished as well as the general feeling of heat coming from the unit in one's hand while holding it, so at first I wasnt sure at what point the battery was 'used up'.

So after having several test sessions I formed a couple of queries, the first was after vaping with the Launch Box I noticed the vaped herb seemed to be a little bit 'speckled', i.e. it tended to look like it had both little bits of green and little bits of black almost combusted herb, it wasn't like the vapor was burnt but it had a little bit of popcorn taste/smell, whereas the spent herb of the Surfer tends to be uniformly even where the spent herb has changed from an unvaped green to a more golden color but without any black bits. So I was interested to find out if the spent Launch Box herb was still usable in the Surfer. And secondly I felt that visually the trench of the Launch Box seemed to use more herb than what I normally put in the Surfer.

So to test the above I first filled the wand of the Surfer with my usual modest amount (I know the Surfer can handle a large amount but I generally only use fairly small amount of ground herb simply because that tends to be enough for the effect I want and also because I usually dont have lots of it available). Anyway I then tipped out the amount I put in the Surfer wand into the Launch Box trench and was pleasantly surprised to find that I had been putting if anything less into the Launch Box than I had been using in the Silver Surfer. I then inserted a freshly charged battery and went about vaping the trench, my intentions were to then tip the spent herb into the Surfer wand to see if there was anything more I could glean out of the green and black from the Launch Box. But I got quite written off by the modest trench (less than level with the shoulders of the trench) and didn't finish the experiement and revape the spent herb in the Surfer until the next day when I found that I obtained a good hit in the Surfer from the LB's waste herb.

I think the LB's trench certainly gets hot, and it probably needs further time and usage to get the technique just right so over heating doesn't result. I found that the herb at the bottom of the trench if over heated would stick a little and required a little tapping upside down between tokes to get it mixed for the next vape, if it wasnt shaken/tapped/mixed between tokes then if over heated the material at the bottom of the trench could remain stuck and combust a little.

So overall, as someone already has said it does the job. It is tiny and I feel works well as something portable without needing a lighter or to be plugged in. The taste isnt as clean as that from the Surfer but I say that only as a comparision knowing that they are quite different machines, the bottom line is it works well and as long as one has charged batteries and breathes in slowly (but not too slowly) it will produce effective vapor, not as clean as my surfer but infinitely better that thick tarry combustion! So for my purposes it is a thumbs up from me :)

My one remaining query is about cleaning. I know it comes with the little cleaning brush which seems to work well in brushing the spent herb out after the vaping is finished. With my Silver Surfer, after a few months it needs it's metal gauze removed and cleaned or replaced, otherwise it becomes gummed up and hard work to draw air though, when the gauze is clean the toking is very easy and a pleasure. However the Launch Box has a kind of very fine gauze that is fixed, I am left wondering how this will be over time, will it gum up? Will simply applying alcohol gently with a cotton bud be enough to clean it occasionally or will the disolved residue begin to seep into the gauze and never be fully removed? Wont some stuff/residue fall thru or work it's way thru the fine gauze and eventually gum it up?

Silver Surfer - Launch Box

Longburn,
Top Bottom