magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Longburn said:
My one remaining query is about cleaning. ... the Launch Box has a kind of very fine gauze that is fixed, I am left wondering how this will be over time, will it gum up? Will simply applying alcohol gently with a cotton bud be enough to clean it occasionally or will the disolved residue begin to seep into the gauze and never be fully removed? Wont some stuff/residue fall thru or work it's way thru the fine gauze and eventually gum it up?
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed review! In regards to the question, the screen tends to not clog because it does not act as a condensation surface -- in fact, it is a significant aspect of the Box design to avoid the possibility of condensation to the largest extent possible. Due to the inherent distribution of heat, the screen is unlikely to clog as in other devices because it is never colder than the loaded material, even after months of usage. Naturally, this makes maintaining the Box easier.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
looney puffs said:
... if you don't have a rubber band or something of that nature it's fairly easy to have the glass slide off and let your herbals get lost in your pocket/bag....
Hi,

The complete kit comes with two custom bands exactly sized to match the Box. We have had a number of issues with people ordering the Bare Box (with no accessories at all) and then having problems because they did not have a battery case (and thus did not protect their batteries) -- an injunction they claim without acknowledging the implied responsibility of their ordering pattern. Similarly, without a brush people tend not to clean the screen between loads, leading to poor taste -- which is then blamed on the Box itself. We are not surprised that without having/getting/using the accessory bands, some people mention the issue of spilling. It seems like the appropriate answer here is for us to only sell the complete kit and to discontinue the Bare Boxes. Thank you for bringing the necessity of this change to our attention.

looney puffs said:
...The site says each battery lasts for roughly a bowl, this is a lie, if they are charged they can last for several with full effects...
Question: what would you have us tell people instead? Some people are very inefficient with their battery usage and get only one Bowl. If I told such individuals it may be possible to get more than one, they too would call us "liars" -- for having set their expectations too high. It seems a bit rude to make direct character judgments about the necessity of our making the minimum reliable claims as the manufacturer. It is a bit unfair when considering many companies truly do become "liars" when they hype their own products with outrageous unsupported claims -- something we observe with some distaste, and which we enact by refusing to do similar ourselves just for the sake of sales.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,
Reactions: ntaylor

reece

magicflight said:
It seems like the appropriate answer here is for us to only sell the complete kit and to discontinue the Bare Boxes. Thank you for bringing the necessity of this change to our attention.

-- Magic-flight
That's a joke. Right?

reece,

aero18

vaporist
magicflight said:
It seems like the appropriate answer here is for us to only sell the complete kit and to discontinue the Bare Boxes. Thank you for bringing the necessity of this change to our attention.

-- Magic-flight
I don't think that will be a good idea for people who already have battery chargers and do not want to spend a significant amount of additional cash for. Perhaps you could offer the plastic battery cases as an accessory to buy?

EDIT: I see that the charger-less option is available! With shipping being free after $75 and the new package deal at $79, I think I agree with you that there is less of a incentive to keep the Bare Boxes around. With people complaining about a lack of battery cases (unfortunately, I was one :/ ) and their screens clogging up, the useful tools should be supplied. Some customers are probably not as knowledgeable and do not pick the right accessories.

It might be best to leave the knowledgeable staff at Magic Flight to determine what really is useful in a package and take the Bare Box off (especially since the next package deal is only 5 dollars more).

aero18,

reece

I already had a charger and I planned on getting a better one. So I bought the bare box, the bag, batteries, and two peg stems (I already have brushes). Everything on the blissville site was pretty clear. It seems unfair to stop offering the bare box because a couple of people can't take the time to read and understand what they are buying. I've been there, so no stones thrown. But it was my fault, not the company's. I plan on purchasing another box or two for friends' birthdays in the coming year. They won't need much more than the box and batteries. Everything else in the kit will not be used. Thrown away. Wasted money and materials. Maybe a better idea would be to have a message for those ordering the bare box explaining the importance of the bands and brush. Although I do believe your included instructions are already quite clear. I guess I liked having options.

reece,

chloe

so i've been working on a 12 battery rotation (8 eneloops, 4 ~2450mah) something like that....only because I've found I started needing more batteries to finish a trench....some of the batteries were only 1 month old and I couldn't finish a trench with it....for example, i have to use like 6 batteries to use a bowl and the bowl isn't that dark....so it could be 3 things i figure, batteries, charger or box....i didn't think it was the box cuz i know i have a particular battery that gives great hits (i ripped the casing off so i dont know which that was, def. not the eneloops tho)

i decided to buy the maha wizardone charger with powerex 2700mah...i did the break in charge which charges the batteries close to 40hrs....

umm..anyways...reignited love with my LB...a few hits and cleaned up a bowl DARK.....i haven't done all the testing i wanted to on it yet....things i want to check out is how many 20sec draws can a fully charged battery do, see if the charger has an effect on my prev. 12 batteries to rejunenate, and see if the regular charging of the wizardone charge batteries on a daily basis effectively....i have 2 chargers i use prior and i always had an inkling that it wasn't charging the batteries effectively...i'll report back later with more findings....but just wanted to throw this out there for anyone with boxes and thinking the box is losing its umph.....try getting fresh batteries or upgrading your charger...the box works like new since day 1

and about the kit or not kit....i prefer having the option...as when i first bought it....i bought bare kit....altho i think mine did come with an elastic band....but i didn't need another charger or batteries or brush or case or extra tubes.....i'm actually thinkn' of maybe getting another at 1 point but I don't want all those extra accessories....i like to save a dollar anywhere i can...if anything i'd make the bare bones include the elastic band....

chloe,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
chloe said:
... about the kit or not kit....i prefer having the option...
Hi Chloe, Reece, Aero18,

The intention is to make 'doing the right thing' simpler/easier for new purchasers -- not to take away options. Anyone -- particularly anyone on FC -- can simply ask to have whatever they want removed from the kit for various price discounts (if ordering from BlissSville -- other vendors are much less likely to do this type of customization). Just attach a note to your order asking for whatever adjustments/considerations are needed. Its no problem.

BlissSville did remove the line item for the Bare Box, however, since it such is really only useful for people who have already purchased the kit previously and are simply looking for a backup Box. It was never intended to be used by new purchasers -- yet we received a lot of orders for that from people thinking that it was some sort of 'discounted version', not realizing that it was expected that they would be providing at least some of their own equivalent tools/accessories. Hence the trouble reports. Again, if people want a bare Box, all that is needed is to explicitly ask for that. It is in the direct asking that the expectations of responsibility is made explicit and clarified -- this is a good thing.

-- Magic-flight

magicflight,

sundaddy

Wow. I seriously get like, 15 hits off of 1 battery. (duracell) The first one, I wait 'till the lid "fogs" up and take a drag. After that I look down the tube and wait 'till I see it fill with vape. It's very good.-Sundaddy

sundaddy,

reece

magicflight said:
Again, if people want a bare Box, all that is needed is to explicitly ask for that. It is in the direct asking that the expectations of responsibility is made explicit and clarified -- this is a good thing.

-- Magic-flight
Great, and yes, it is a good thing. Thanks for clarifying.

Oh, can't believe I forgot but since I'm here:

I got my warranty replacement within a few days. The replacement Box was running too hot (combustion with every inhale) but being a replacement I felt really uneasy contacting you with another problem so soon. So I tried adjusting the speed (much faster) and duration (much less) of my inhale. Things were better but I still tasted burning plant matter every other hit. After a couple of days it seems the temp of the box decreased to what I am used to and it works perfectly. Thanks again to Magic-Flight and their excellent customer service.

reece,

djdna

btw i just thought id mention, some of the issue i had with needing to use more than one battery per bowl, was imply down to my batteries being old and dying...

when im using a newer/fully working battery i can easily do one bowl per battery even if i re-vape the same bowl lots of times :D

:2c:

djdna,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
:D Received my Magic Flight T-shirts, They look pretty darn neat and no one would get it unless they were familiar with the LB... Nice!!

They threw in a couple ABV containers with apologies for the delay on shirts which was nice too!

I of course used the LB to celebrate :D Thanks Blissville!! Thanks to the shirt designer too... Was it Sundaddy?? Damn it's been awhile, the design is nice!!!

Lo,

sundaddy

lo said:
:D Received my Magic Flight T-shirts, They look pretty darn neat and no one would get it unless they were familiar with the LB... Nice!!

They threw in a couple ABV containers with apologies for the delay on shirts which was nice too!

I of course used the LB to celebrate :D Thanks Blissville!! Thanks to the shirt designer too... Was it Sundaddy?? Damn it's been awhile, the design is nice!!!
Yep, it was me. Cool, I haven't seen the actual shirts, but I'm glad you liked the art. Blissville's a hell of a company, aren't they?

sundaddy,

itriplots

I received my launch box a week ago in the mail. And I really enjoy it. :2c:

Ease of use:
Its definitely easier to use than the vapor genie but not as simple as the iolite. I had no problem with breath control as I am very used to drawing from vaporizers, but some friends still had some issues at first. The other problem I had with it is that in the very beginning I was frustrated while trying to get the bowl stirred and then back in the trench. Now I have my technique down and I can do it with out looking. Once you get used to it, its no more effort than smoking from any home vaporizer.

Dealing w/ batteries
At first I anticipated this to be a nuisance, I even laughed at the concept of a vaporizer that used one battery per bowl. But it is not really a pain at all. They are not as expensive as buying quality butane for the iolite, especially since I got a bunch at after thanks giving sales. I guess the whole point of this is to say dont let the fact that it uses rechargeable batteries keep you from buying this unit. It is not even really an issue once you get it.

Portability:
This is the reason why I bought this vaporizer. I wanted a stealthy, easy to carry unit that would allow me to vaporize anywhere. Let me just say this really excels in this area! I have already used it in the movie theater, in costco, the macaroni grill bathroom, at work, snowboarding 2 days, and out hiking. I especially love that when I get home I can take the dog out right away and vape while I walk her instead of having to sit around for an hour to vape a bowl. The only thing I frequently do that the LB is not well suited for is extended backpacking trips; since bringing a ton of batteries would be a pain. I suppose I could just stick the batteries in my dogs pack though:brow:

Quality of hit:
I feel this unit also excels in this field. I sat down and compared the LB, a herbalaire, a vapor bros hands free, and the iolite. I couldn't really tell the difference between the vapors at all with the vapor bros, LB and the iolite. But, I actually prefered the draw on the LB to the vapor bros, and especially the iolite. I preferred the herbalaire to all of them, but I am quite the fan of that vaporizer so I could have been biased.

Overall:
Like so many have said in this thread before, once you get used to it, it works great! In the current world of vaporizers I really doubt any thing can come close in its size, price and functionality.

itriplots,

vape4health

itriplots said:
Dealing w/ batteries
At first I anticipated this to be a nuisance, I even laughed at the concept of a vaporizer that used one battery per bowl. But it is not really a pain at all. They are not as expensive as buying quality butane for the iolite, especially since I got a bunch at after thanks giving sales. I guess the whole point of this is to say dont let the fact that it uses rechargeable batteries keep you from buying this unit. It is not even really an issue once you get it.
It keep me from getting one when I was looking at portables , but after getting a used one and trying it out , the batterys are not much of a problem . I'll be getting a new box when I can .

vape4health,

aero18

vaporist
vape4health said:
itriplots said:
Dealing w/ batteries
It keep me from getting one when I was looking at portables , but after getting a used one and trying it out , the batterys are not much of a problem . I'll be getting a new box when I can .
The batteries are definitely not a problem for me. They each last about 4-5 trenches.

On another subject, has anyone noticed a significant amount of condensed vapor build up in the chamber underneath the trench? I'm seeing some build up on the little light bulb. Not a concern at the moment since it is nice and aromatic and very minimal. I only vape about two times a week so it hasn't been through too much use.

I'm concerned that over time it will progressively cover the light bulb until it is barely visible. Also, I don't want the condensed vapor to remain in there to create a haven for mold.

I don't know if it can actually substantially build up, purely speculative at this point, but how about some input from some seasoned Launch Boxers or Magic-Flight? Does the heat from the trench largely avoid this issue from getting any more significant?

aero18,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Not even stoners know what I'm doing when I'm sitting right next to them on the train using this thing.

bluntfaced,

freeman dyson

ok, I think im gonna order this. what's the deal with batteries? how do I get more that I can recharge? i am ordering the kit with the charger and 2 batteries. will that be enough?

freeman dyson,

chloe

freeman dyson said:
ok, I think im gonna order this. what's the deal with batteries? how do I get more that I can recharge? i am ordering the kit with the charger and 2 batteries. will that be enough?
you can use any nimh AA battery as long as you peel off the label....depends on your vaping habits...1 trench can get be high, and if 1 battery = 1 trench, and if the charger you own takes 8hrs? then you can figure it out if 2 AA batteries would suffice...but you'll love it :)

chloe,

djdna

chloe said:
freeman dyson said:
you can use any nimh AA battery as long as you peel off the label....depends on your vaping habits...1 trench can get be high, and if 1 battery = 1 trench, and if the charger you own takes 8hrs? then you can figure it out if 2 AA batteries would suffice...but you'll love it :)
im not sure but i think the nimh batteries need to be over 2000mAh as well

djdna,

chloe

djdna said:
chloe said:
freeman dyson said:
im not sure but i think the nimh batteries need to be over 2000mAh as well
that's a good point...i'm not sure what the min. mah is...i had no idea those were around....actually if we're on the topic of batteries, I would like to know if the Voltage of the AA has any effect on how hot the box gets? I ask because the charger I have, gives you the voltage of it and it ranges from 1.38 - 1.49 so far...
and what is the significance of the mah of the battery? does a 2500mah battery just last longer than a 2000mah? or does it have any effect on how hot the box can get? because I do notice differences in batteries on how hot the vapor is...tia

chloe,

freeman dyson

do you get big hits off the magic flight? does anyone have the iolite too? how does it compare to that. i want to get my dad something. he has never used a vape. i want it to be small and easy

freeman dyson,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
freeman, got back to like post 20 of this thread and start reading, all your questions plus more have been answered numerous times.

DeepFried,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
freeman dyson said:
do you get big hits off the magic flight? does anyone have the iolite too? how does it compare to that. i want to get my dad something. he has never used a vape. i want it to be small and easy
Yes, you can get big hits off the Launchbox but like most vaporizers there is a learning curve to get it exactly right.

With the Launch Box I have noticed that 2 things can be very important in terms of how good of a hit you get:
a) if the weed is ground VERY fine, finer than anyone normally grinds it for a joint, then it gives better vapor; and
b) if the batteries are very fresh, the heat is higher and you can get bigger hits
On weak batteries you can still get hits but very light ones.
And with weed that's not ground well you can get good hits but not great hits. This is of course a generalization. I'm sure there are exceptions. But this is what I've found using my buddy's Launch Box.

What also seems to help is if it's not ground that fine, after you vape the first load or two, open it up and crumble it more - now that it's drier - with your fingers. That makes it vape better to get better hits, especially if the battery isn't just-charged.

One other thing is that I think if a person has never used a vape before and is used to using a bong or joints they may find it "unsatisfying" at least at first, in the sense that you don't really "toke" with the Launch Box and some other vaporizers. With the launch box you have to breathe in very very slowly and lightly and sometimes there is little or no visible exhale. So you have to be willing to accept that you "smoke" it in a different way, breathing very lightly and slowly and deeply, not toking like you would on a water pipe or bong or joint when combusting. However, for discreet portable use, the Launch Box's relative lack of exhaled vapor is a very good thing!

Have you looked at the Vapor Genie? I think it's a good one for transitioning to vaporizing because it feels more like smoking. However, for portable discreet use, I really like the Launch Box.

As to the Iolite, I've never used it. Check the iolite thread here for more info. For the price I think the Launch Box is a much better deal. But if money is no object maybe the iolite is okay. I feel the iolite is over-priced, myself.

MoeOnTheMoon,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
chloe said:
...I would like to know if the Voltage of the AA has any effect on how hot the box gets?
Yes, it does. Higher voltage generally means hotter. The battery will not read the same voltage when it is in use as it does when in the charger, however, so the specifics of how much hotter, or even if the difference will be noticeable, depends on the specifics of the battery and the sensitivity of your taste.

chloe said:
...what is the significance of the mah of the battery? does a 2500mah battery just last longer than a 2000mah?
Mostly, it is how long the battery lasts. A battery with more charge storage capacity will tend to hold a higher voltage for longer as well, so higher mAh will tend to also mean somewhat hotter operation for somewhat longer, if the battery is fresh.

-- Magic-flight

Last edited by a moderator:
magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
bluntfaced said:
Not even stoners know what I'm doing when I'm sitting right next to them on the train using this thing.
This is, without doubt, one of the highest recommendations of 'stealthy' we could have ever hoped for!

magicflight,
Top Bottom