1. If the Herbalizer was a fortune cookie what would it say? Tell us and win it!
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Only while button is being engaged.
    Quetzalcoatl likes this.
  2. NYC5IKH5jabi

NYC5IKH5jabi Well-Known Member

i gotta ask. what difference is there in a glass acrylic or wood stem? is it actually something other than look and feel of the material, does taste or draw technique or vapor profile change with the stem?

have to add that without the PA i cant enjoy this vape as much and on its own this vape cant get me medicated like i need. currently it is being used all day in coordination with the dabbler pen and the concentrate screen for the mflb. and the maud dib should be here next week!:love:
    btw to all the beta testers who have also used the PA2.0 with a mflb+concentrate screen can you tell me how noticeable the difference is between both when used with the Pa
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl 200% THC

IMO the wooden stems impart a very light essence of the wood and "oil up" when you vape through it. My wooden stem smells different almost every week ;)

It also does seem to cool the vapor down, more than the glass stem. I've exhaled some hits that were bigger than they felt. Plus they're harder to break than a glass stem, just gotta avoid water.

There's also an aesthetic side to them. Every wooden stem (at least the ones made by Ed!) is unique even from the same block. Adding a wooden stem to a predominantly-wooden and organic vaporizer. Plus a stem will cost ya like $15 or so, more depending on the wood species.

It's not what I would call a vital accessory but there's a reason most people that get one wood stem end up with collections :lol:
    axakal, Vitolo, Breathemetal and 2 others like this.
  4. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

Functionally, there is no difference between the two versions of the PA. The PA lets you apply more power to the screen than a battery, so if you're using concentrate trays then this does matter. If you're using the MD then I don't think it makes much difference.
    NYC5IKH5jabi, OF and Vicki like this.
  5. Joshh1

Joshh1 Stickyy icky

Hi everyone. I've been lurking this thread and forum for a few months now ever since I got my launch box. Finally decide to join the discussion.

I love this thing! I just purchased a whip and Vapor Bros standard h20 adapter. Along with the Power Adaptor & concentrate trays. I can hardly contain myself haha. Can't wait for them to get here.

I also got a freebie Nano grinder; anyone use them? I've read it works well as a secondary grinder which is how I plan to use it, as I prefer my cali crusher for larger amounts.
  6. NYC5IKH5jabi

NYC5IKH5jabi Well-Known Member

Thanks, and how would you reccomend cleaning oil out from under the screen? and storing a smelly box? my now month old box has been making my normally nuetral room and closet smell very much so. does anyone care to show me what type of storage they find to keep odor from spreading? i currently just have it in a zip up camera bag.
  7. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

I don't recommend cleaning under the screen at all. There's a risk of damaging the screen, and it's not possible to get it completely clean anyway.

I once experimented with using the PA to heat the box continuously at a high heat while standing it on end so that the heated oil dripped out the hole. I used one of the solid concentrate trays to catch it and vaped it as reclaim, not too bad. This is quite messy and I won't be doing it again. Since my LB (~4 years old, heavily used) has never acquired much of an odour, I can't say whether this would help you.
    axakal, OF, NYC5IKH5jabi and 2 others like this.
  8. Vapodudule

Vapodudule Well-Known Member

Today i brought my old pal walnut to the beach, she gave me love again. Nutsy taste, and full high (high temp micro sip). I gently knock her back while hitting on the zone under the trench to stimulate the load, now she has some scars on the wood.

I made she kiss my glass too.

Lucky vaporists we are to enjoy such bunch of good products!

Love for mflb, cheers to their laydies i know. :smug::cheers:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    axakal, Quetzalcoatl and RUDE BOY like this.
  9. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

Haiku is disguise. Nice................
    vapirtoo likes this.
  10. esrever

esrever Herb: best aphrodisiac and stereo tweak on Earth

What is the "2 nickels in a pill bottle" trick?
  11. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

Take a Pill Bottle drop a nickel in drop a bud in then drop the other nickel in screw on the top and shake. Works to break up your herb if you don't have a grinder to use.
    Skyscraper, Quetzalcoatl and esrever like this.
  12. OMEiAM

OMEiAM Well-Known Member

I have the nano grinder. It's good but it's hit or miss for me. Sometimes it grinds really fine and other times not so much. Now I use the MFLB Finishing Grinder for all of my vapes. It works like a cheese grater kind of so it's amazing!
    Joshh1 likes this.
  13. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl 200% THC

Dry bud grinds very easily. Like, dry enough to crumble with your fingers dry. Some strains just don't grind very well unless you put them through a coffee grinder or similar.
    RUDE BOY, Joshh1, OF and 2 others like this.
  14. Joshh1

Joshh1 Stickyy icky

I usually run buds through my cali crusher 4 piece. Sift it a few times and then use an old 4 piece grinder turned upside down for a finer grind.

Since the nano was a freebie (vapor nation rewards points.) it's okay. I can't justify the $40 on a finishing grinder yet. ;)
    steama and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  15. forbiddenherbs

forbiddenherbs don't panic it's organic!

High there :)
    Long time lurker, first time poster here...

Few words intro: I'm 35 and based in Europe. Felt in love with homegrown herbs, consumed it in every fanciful way. After 18 years daily tobacco use I quit with cigaretts and started to look after vaporizers.
    Aromed 4.0, Volcano, iolite, MFLB, Puffit-X, Pax by Ploom to name them. As your board and it's topics always helped me when it came to online research for quality information about vapo's, I decided to register and share the one or other experience with you.

Unfortunately my opinion about the MFLB isn't as good as the one of most other users on the web, I guess.
    I did not like that vaporizer and sold it again one month after purchase.
    Of course you need to play around with it for quite some time until you find the optimal technique, but to be honest I never was satisfied 100% with it's performance. Too much (heavy) coughing until you find out how to inhale without burning throat and breast completely. The so called "learning curve" further took me to the point where the taste was popcorn style, and as we all know this is what we definitly don't like when we cook our herbs, no matter which device we use for it. No exact temperature setting possible, to much loose stuff (batteries and glass tube) to carry around, not to forget the coughing attacks of my friends when you sit together and pass the device on, as it is simply not possible to tell somebody in a few words how to proper use it until satisfaction takes place. So far some of the main points why we didn't become better friends, the MFLB and me.

I asked myself if this was really what I was looking for when it comes to the question of "the perfect mobile vape". To be honest the answer was no, even if I really loved it's esoteric design and the different woods you can choose from, also that it's pretty much handmade and they use no plastic parts for it.

Is the MFLB worth spending your savings on?
    From my point of view it is a very "basic" device. When you are looking for something without flushing lights, displays and a lot of buttons to press and eletronic stuff like that, then this little wooden box can make you a very happy person.
    Once you've made it to the proper drawing and temp setting by pushing the battery not too long or short in, you can get a really nice flavour from the herbs you've put in it. But don't forget that this will be a challenge every time, as the battery gets weak and the heating time for your herbs changes with it.

Does it get you high? Yes, it does. Once you've made it to the point with the right inhale and how-long-to-push-in-the-i-dont-know-how-much-power-you-have-left-battery-pushing-technique, well then you are just a few hits away from flying high like a kite ... :)
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Skyscraper, RUDE BOY and lwien like this.
  16. OMEiAM

OMEiAM Well-Known Member

It sounds like you would have enjoyed your MFLB a lot more if you had the power adapter but that would take away from it being mobile.
    forbiddenherbs and NYC5IKH5jabi like this.
  17. reef

reef New Member

Imedion's not working in my MFLB

Hi all,

All of a sudden the charger I received with my Launch Box went on the fritz (lights would not turn on when plugged in but it was charging - however the batteries would get crazy hot, way too hot). I ordered some Imedions and continued to use the Launch Box with the original batteries, not really caring that they were getting friend in my Launch Box charger.

My Imedions showed up and they just don't work (yes, they're charged, with a new, good charger) - the batteries are slightly wider than the originals but they do fit, and I can feel the spring in the Launch Box getting depressed when pushing them all the way in. But they just don't start/cook the Launch Box.

Has anyone seen this before? Not sure what I can do - maybe peel off the plastic labelling layer on the Imedions? I just don't see how that will help though - as I mentioned, they do fit.

Any ideas?
  18. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl 200% THC

Haha, @reef, yeah you need to peel off the labels on the batteries!! I missed that sentence the first time and was thoroughly confused.

The Launch Box works by creating a controlled short circuit, basically. The positive end is the nipple on the battery and the negative end is the ring that goes around nearest to the entrance of the battery slot. The circuit doesn't complete if the negative ring isn't touching the actual body of the battery.
    OF, Vicki, reef and 1 other person like this.
  19. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

@reef peel the plastic off the batteries and try them. Don't use the Bad charger, you may want to contact Magic Flight to see about getting a replacement for the faulty one.

edit: Q-man ya got here too fast.
    Vicki and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  20. reef

reef New Member

My bad - they have to be peeled to use. As soon as I did that, the fit was better and most importantly the contact is now good and the Launch Box cooks.

I'll leave the post/reply in case it helps someone else. I'm back in business, wooooooo!

Thanks Quezalcoatl! Good to know how this awesome product works. @RUDE BOY, thanks - Ya, reached out to Magic Flight, they said it's out of warranty (shortish warranty on batteries and charger). Picked up 4 Imedions and a Powerex Charger, MH-C204FA. Good to go.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
    RUDE BOY and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  21. Joshh1

Joshh1 Stickyy icky

One of my batteries seems to bed. I charged it the other day. The light blinked a few times then charged like normal. Went to use it today and no juice at all.

Did I short it somewhere without noticing?
  22. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl 200% THC

What kind of battery? If it's one of those HSD (high self discharge) batteries like a Powerex 2700 and you used it a lot, that might be it. They're called high self discharge because they carry a lot of punch but lose it fast. That plus an aged battery might be why? Otherwise if it's not, and it's just dead for no reason and a charge doesn't seem to bring it back to life, then yeah it's probably dead. On the plus side, that just means you need another suitable AA battery instead of having to send it in to get it replaced ;)
    Joshh1 likes this.
  23. OF

OF Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say, no you're not "Good to go". Wrong charger. Seriously.

The 204 is a good charger for some applications (I've had one for years) but it charges in pairs only. Fine for applications where there are two well matched batteries (in model, charge state, and remaining capacity (condition)). The two must be well matched, and with MFLB that's just not possible. Even if you're very careful. Putting otherwise identical batteries with different charge levels invites problems. On one end charging to the weaker one will be cut off when the stronger one gets charged. The other alternative is even worse, with only one good battery going through 'negative delta V' (where the voltage takes a tiny dip when fully charged) the charger can fail to detect it and so overcharge it as it continues on. The 204 doesn't have enough power to fry it on the spot, but it will damage it.

I suggest you get a proper charger capable of singe cell charging (we use them as individuals, have to treat them as such charging). In the Maha line the C9000 has an excellent reputation, I really like mine. Other good units exist.

Good luck.

OF
    Fenton Mewley, Vitolo, lwien and 2 others like this.
  24. Joshh1

Joshh1 Stickyy icky

I had 4, erh now 3. It's the magic flight glyph battery. Luckily my power adapter will be here tomorrow.

Would MF actually replace the battery?
  25. WannaVape

WannaVape Well-Known Member

How comparable is the concentrate box to hitting a nail? I'm tempted to get that instead of a whole new nail setup, and the PA to use with it and the original.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors