I think I finally turned the corner on my lb+wpa+pa technique. :rockon:

Last night I set my pa to around 60%-70% and I used a (relatively) small bub. I would switch between using a long, slow draw and using micro-hits, depending on how quickly the vapor was accumulating in the bub. Finally, I was able to pull some milky cloud goodness!

I feel like there's room for improvement, however. Does anyone have any tricks/recommendations for using the wpa?

UpUpandAway,

OF

I think I need to redact my previous comments about tolerance. Today was a very vapor-light day for me. Roughly a half packed MFLB got me where I needed to be this evening.

Not a bit of it. It happens. Not only is there no 'one size fits all' here, but the size for any given guy is not constant IMO.

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't". Lucky thing is this is one area MFLB excels in.

Good luck with the PA. Guys are right, it does make the box 'a whole other thing'. But I'm kinda with BDV and a few of the other stalwarts here 'bouts, I like using mine with batteries better usually. I've cobbled up a battery of 3 18650s that I sometimes take into the garden with me for a change of pace but a couple of pre measured pre ground .125 gram loads in glass vials and a charged battery or two is easier and seems more natural to me. And, IMO, part of the fun.

OF

OF,

Rido

Another happy experience with mflb company:
The nano grinder I had, one of the blades bent and broke off.
Messaged MFLB
asked for picture of grinder, mflb, serial number, and address
sent a new replacement the same day. No charge of any type

I am happy with my purchase =D

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Another happy experience with mflb company:
The nano grinder I had, one of the blades bent and broke off.
Messaged MFLB
asked for picture of grinder, mflb, serial number, and address
sent a new replacement the same day. No charge of any type

I am happy with my purchase =D

You can't ask for a better company than Magic Flight. :)

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
which grinder is better ? The wood finish grinder or the nano? or do you need both??

I don't even use my nano grinder anymore now that I have the finishing grinder. I do a first grind in my 2 piece Space Case. Then I run it through the finishing grinder.

Vicki,

nb8475

How does the nano grinder chalk up to the finishing grinder? Obviously it wont be as good but is the grind quality the same? I should be getting mine, along with the WPA, today.

nb8475,

OF

:hmm: Say whut? :huh:

Put 3 of those 18650s in series and you have a nominal 12 Volts, just like comes from the Wall Wort part of the PA. With the right size connector on a cable (like the one on the WW...) you can plug it into the PA instead and you're good to go but cordless now. Leave the WW in the drawer.

I put the batteries and their socket in a small camera case and wrap the cord around it when not in use.

Nice to have when the urge to take the PA 'on the road' (or in my case out into the garden.....).

OF

OF,

Rido

I just ordered the finishing grinder today because this damn company is too good to me. Even if this product breaks I know they will send me another one out. I will post a review on it as well a few days after i get it

Rido,
Reactions: Vicki

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Put 3 of those 18650s in series and you have a nominal 12 Volts, just like comes from the Wall Wort part of the PA. With the right size connector on a cable (like the one on the WW...) you can plug it into the PA instead and you're good to go but cordless now. Leave the WW in the drawer.

I put the batteries and their socket in a small camera case and wrap the cord around it when not in use.

Nice to have when the urge to take the PA 'on the road' (or in my case out into the garden.....).

OF
How long can you use it?

Quetzalcoatl,

OF

How long can you use it?

Good question. It ran the PD for a little over three hours (what it's original use was), this guy is a larger draw as I recall. And there's some losses to heat, and of course a big variable in where a guy sets the dial, but I'd say something over an hour. Mind you that's 'key down time', so 15 or 20 times what the factory AA battery does?

Or, looked at the other way, enough to vape several grams. Plenty IMO. How much did you need?

OF

OF,

poonman

OF

That is freaking wild what you're describing OF .
A cordless/portable PA ....any chance of some pics ? Please .

poonman,

OF

That is freaking wild what you're describing OF .
A cordless/portable PA ....any chance of some pics ? Please .

I was afraid of that.....I'm not a big photo kinda guy usually, but fair request. It may take me a day or two to sort it all out, if I space it out, please PM and remind me?

Thanks.

OF

OF,
Reactions: poonman

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Good question. It ran the PD for a little over three hours (what it's original use was), this guy is a larger draw as I recall. And there's some losses to heat, and of course a big variable in where a guy sets the dial, but I'd say something over an hour. Mind you that's 'key down time', so 15 or 20 times what the factory AA battery does?

Or, looked at the other way, enough to vape several grams. Plenty IMO. How much did you need?

OF

I think your estimate of 15-20 times the stock battery is off a bit. It just so happens that I recently bought brand new Imedions and Powerex 2700s and I did a little test. The results might surprise you; they certainly did me.

A fully charged Imedion (the stock battery) gave me 50 hits, where a hit is 5 seconds of warmup and 8 micro-hits spaced a second apart. That's 650 seconds which is a lot more than I expected, but here's the real shocker: a fully charged 2700 gave me just two more hits (52, or 676 seconds).

The difference is that the 2700 is discharging at a higher voltage, which you can tell simply by looking at the light: a 2700 is brighter than an Imedion. Although the 2700 has more mAH, the extra capacity is used up supplying more heat to the screen, not giving you more hits. 2700 ABV comes out quite dark, while Imedion ABV after the same number of hits is noticeably lighter.

pakalolo,

OF

I think your estimate of 15-20 times the stock battery is off a bit. It just so happens that I recently bought brand new Imedions and Powerex 2700s and I did a little test. The results might surprise you; they certainly did me.

A fully charged Imedion (the stock battery) gave me 50 hits, where a hit is 5 seconds of warmup and 8 micro-hits spaced a second apart. That's 650 seconds which is a lot more than I expected, but here's the real shocker: a fully charged 2700 gave me just two more hits (52, or 676 seconds).

Worth looking into if it's important to you. A year or so back I decided I could expect about four minutes of key down time from the factory battery. I actually used a stopwatch and may have missed a hit or two, but I did several runs to get to that answer. Given the box draws about 15 Amps, four minutes would be 1 Ah, about half 'nameplate rating' on the battery which seems reasonable given the much higher than normal current rate. Ten minutes at 15 Amps would not fit that (would be more capacity than is possible) so our currents could also be very different.

Not really an easy measure, but I understand why it's important to guys. Bottom line is you can expect almost all of the 3 Ah the 18650s are rated at since the power demand is fairly normal for them. Unlike the overdriven NiMH in the box. In round figures that's three times the batteries, each at 3 times the voltage for a nine times advantage mAh for mAh. If you got all 2200 mAh out of the 1.2 Volt NiMH that would give the Li-ion pack a (3X3X3000/2200) advantage. 13.5 times. If, OTOH, it's more like half that due to heavy losses, it becomes twice that, 27 times. It will probably be a little less of course, due to losses in the PA (not to mention guys wicking it up some.....) but any way you look at it it's plenty for most any real use. It's going to vape up a pile of bud before it needs charging.....which is what I was after to start with........

OF

OF,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Worth looking into if it's important to you. A year or so back I decided I could expect about four minutes of key down time from the factory battery. I actually used a stopwatch and may have missed a hit or two, but I did several runs to get to that answer. Given the box draws about 15 Amps, four minutes would be 1 Ah, about half 'nameplate rating' on the battery which seems reasonable given the much higher than normal current rate. Ten minutes at 15 Amps would not fit that (would be more capacity than is possible) so our currents could also be very different.

Not really an easy measure, but I understand why it's important to guys. Bottom line is you can expect almost all of the 3 Ah the 18650s are rated at since the power demand is fairly normal for them. Unlike the overdriven NiMH in the box. In round figures that's three times the batteries, each at 3 times the voltage for a nine times advantage mAh for mAh. If you got all 2200 mAh out of the 1.2 Volt NiMH that would give the Li-ion pack a (3X3X3000/2200) advantage. 13.5 times. If, OTOH, it's more like half that due to heavy losses, it becomes twice that, 27 times. It will probably be a little less of course, due to losses in the PA (not to mention guys wicking it up some.....) but any way you look at it it's plenty for most any real use. It's going to vape up a pile of bud before it needs charging.....which is what I was after to start with........

OF

Given the nature of this testing it is easy to miscount, but I've done it more than once and the results are consistent. Your math makes sense of course, so the error lies elsewhere. I could be off in my count but I am pretty sure I didn't double count, in fact my worry is always missing a count and that only makes it worse. I could be off on my timings. I didn't use a stopwatch, I counted, but I am a really good counter of seconds. I've checked myself numerous times and I'm pretty accurate. The largest margin of error I'd give that would be 10% (I don't think I'm even close to that bad even stoned) and that still isn't enough to account for the difference. Over to you.

pakalolo,
Reactions: OF

OF

Fun topic. I think with a little thought we can standardize some things and get some useful answers here.

Off the top of my head, quantifying the power used by the box at various states of charge on the stock battery is the place to start? Then use the PA to match those levels and measure it's performance at each of several similar conditions.

Might be a fun project. I'm not sure it's really useful since there will be so many user variables, but some rule of thumb ratings might be interesting.

Food for thought at least.....and that's fun in itself IMO.

OF

OF,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
It's hard to standardize draw rate... but we shall test nonetheless! :science:

I've been using a lot less lately and even considering a week-long tolerance break. It's interesting to see my use down on paper and in numbers.

Quetzalcoatl,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
It's hard to standardize draw rate... but we shall test nonetheless! :science:

I've been using a lot less lately and even considering a week-long tolerance break. It's interesting to see my use down on paper and in numbers.

It's hard for you and me to match each other but it isn't that hard to standardize your own hit. Use a standard warmup time and then micro-hit at regular intervals for a standard count. Micro-hits minimize the problem of inhaling at a consistent rate. I'm confident that this method delivers consistent hits.

Top Bottom