OF

It doesn't take a trench to get me toasted. Two big, nice water hits... wait 5 minutes and I'll suddenly notice, I'm there. I usually take my time, I'm into the whole ritual of it, plus I'm kicking back with a glass piece... so a 5 minute break after a 2nd hit, isn't unusual.

You know, I always thought you were a cheap date, now we all know for sure.....

I knew you were a gent that savored his experience, but I never gave you credit for keeping a lid on the tolerance at the same time, well done!!!

OF

druminfected

I really love my mflb thus far. I watched the videos on the mflb site and vaporpedia, and I love the HD charge batteries as well. My tip for hitting is sip on it with little sips to get your vape intake how you like it. My batteries seem to last more than 2 trenches as well. Surprised that many people say the battery only last once trench.

druminfected,
Reactions: Vicki

OF

I really love my mflb thus far. I watched the videos on the mflb site and vaporpedia, and I love the HD charge batteries as well. My tip for hitting is sip on it with little sips to get your vape intake how you like it. My batteries seem to last more than 2 trenches as well. Surprised that many people say the battery only last once trench.

Don't be so surprised, Bro. Many of us enjoy the box so much we suck on that trench long after serious guys would have swapped in another. Sometimes I even do my 'Pakalolo impression' and try to milk the very start of vapor for the flavor, which can put a huge dent in the battery supply. Also some guys start out with the load too wet and waste battery drying it out before they can vape.

I guess my take is 'battery is cheap', don't be afraid to use them up playing with the expensive herb?

"Take it out and play with it".

OF

OF,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I think too wet can't be said enough. Say it a few more times, for me sweetie.

Vito first taught me that lesson, with his commentary on grinding (rip, tear, shred = no no). But, I don't think it really ever sank in until we had the discussion with MF. It just can't be pounded in enough. Most herb you get, is going to be cured for combustion. We, especially Box users... don't want combustion herb, its a strain on the batteries and most of all, I think accounts for a LOT Of casual users giving up.

That bud you're getting ready to drop in the grinder, should have a little crunch under finger pressure. It should grind smoothly and dump, rather cleanly out of your grinder. It should be a very fine consistency, almost like coarse pepper.

You do that and your first hit off the Box w/ PA, LSD, HSD... I don't care. You're getting a big mouthful of flavorful vapor.

BigDaddyVapor,

OF

Vito first taught me that lesson, with his commentary on grinding (rip, tear, shred = no no). But, I don't think it really ever sank in until we had the discussion with MF. It just can't be pounded in enough. Most herb you get, is going to be cured for combustion. We, especially Box users... don't want combustion herb, its a strain on the batteries and most of all, I think accounts for a LOT Of casual users giving up.

That bud you're getting ready to drop in the grinder, should have a little crunch under finger pressure. It should grind smoothly and dump, rather cleanly out of your grinder. It should be a very fine consistency, almost like coarse pepper.

You do that and your first hit off the Box w/ PA, LSD, HSD... I don't care. You're getting a big mouthful of flavorful vapor.

Amen.

You know, given good herb to start with I'm not sure there's such a thing as too dry?

Leave it to Vitolo to lay out the simple truth.....and get overlooked. Man is wise for sure. And so willing to help others work through it.

He still looks funny dressed up as a cheerleader though. Bad knees.

OF

OF,

X24

I took a short break from vaping. Forgot I had left some bud in my grinder. A few days later, very dry, and vapes extremely well. Sessions are much quicker.

X24,

OF

I took a short break from vaping. Forgot I had left some bud in my grinder. A few days later, very dry, and vapes extremely well. Sessions are much quicker.

Sounds like you broke the code!

What ever you do, don't let the new guys find out........

Congrats, kind of opens up an new dimension, doesn't it?

OF

OF,

Liberty

Does anyone here have a particular method for drying his material? Or, is it just as simple as leaving the lid off the jar until it's dry enough?

Liberty,
Reactions: X24

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Does anyone here have a particular method for drying his material? Or, is it just as simple as leaving the lid off the jar until it's dry enough?

That's a great question. I live in Florida, and if I leave my buds out to dry, they get more moist due to humidity. What can someone do in that situation?

Liberty

That's a great question. I live in Florida, and if I leave my buds out to dry, they get more moist due to humidity. What can someone do in that situation?
That's an even better question because my wife and I want to move to Florida.

I'd guess that using a fan might help you.

Liberty,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist

Fans don't work, I've tried. Currently, I'm using an empty mason jar, but it doesn't dry as well as I'd like.

Vicki,

Fans work pretty good,but in a high-humidity environment it's probably not enough. I've had great success using desiccant packs,those little packets in vitamin bottles. Just seal your stuff in a small jar and in about a day (maybe less), you should be good to go. If you're lacking in the vitamin dept. Go to wal-mart and grab a bigger version in the sporting goods area. Mainly used to keep moisture out of gun cases, but will work with herb just fine. Watch your herb closely or it may dry them out to much!
After a while,(like a year or two),just pop the pack in the oven at about 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes then reuse.
This has worked real well for me over the years and since I got my MFLB I hit all my herb to get to that "sweet spot" that seems to be the optimum for the unit.
Hope this helps and VAPE ON!

OF

It's about relative humidity, really. A fan will effect the rate but not the result (it only shortens the time). To dry something there has to be less water in the air. How much water the air will hold is a function of temperature, the higher the more it will hold.

I'd suggest warming it a bit. For instance, wrap it in foil and put it on the back of the refrigerator, on top of the monitor, TV or router where it's already warm? Or in your warm toaster oven.

You could also put it in a sealed container with absorbent like 'Drierite':
http://www.drierite.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Barr-FG30K-42...=UTF8&qid=1347724021&sr=8-2&keywords=drierite

This is Calcium Carbonate and a color changing indicator (so you know when it's full of moisture). You bake it in the oven to 'recharge' it. It's food safe, been used to keep crackers and cookies crisp and fresh since your grandmother was in diapers.

You can also do a drill with putting it in a jar in the freezer until moisture condenses on the inside of the jar, then dump it in another (warm) jar back into the freezer while you wipe out the first jar and swap again. But buying a bit of Drierite and using it in a jar with your open baggie is probably the best?

OF

nb8475

While I understand what you're saying (at least I think I do), I'm not so sure the message quoted above is an good example of an experienced Engineer or Customer Service person. So what happens now? Everyone with any problems even remotely related will assume their box is defective? Notice the posting in question stems from my statement that one in 3 of my boxes was different than the other two? None of those 3 could possibly be involved with some inspection mishap that happened lately.....and yet somehow it's now linked?

I think the world of MF and all, but IMO the professional way to relate such information is either fully ('we've had some similar problems with s/n XXXX to YYYY boxes, yours falls in that range, unfortunately some of these were shipped, please return yours.....') or in general terms ('you should not be having contact problems, if you do your box is out of specification, please return it for prompt attention and inspection'). Saying you had a rogue employee publicly, no matter how honest, is not really all that helpful to anyone, customer or company.

You should either back your employees and control systems, or fix them. Probably a combination of both actually? IMO it's poor policy to blame either for customer's problems. Apologize, 'make the customer whole' and fix it. Take responsibility for it. Don't promote rumors and speculations. I'm not saying to cover up you had a problem, just don't look like it's not under control in such an open ended manner. Just my opinion, of course.

OF

i agree. In my response to them where I gave them my warranty info I asked him why this was a known issue that was not brought to public attention. I have yet to recieve a response however and it's been over 2 days which is weird.

nb8475,
Reactions: OF

Liberty

Fans work pretty good,but in a high-humidity environment it's probably not enough. I've had great success using desiccant packs,those little packets in vitamin bottles. Just seal your stuff in a small jar and in about a day (maybe less), you should be good to go. If you're lacking in the vitamin dept. Go to wal-mart and grab a bigger version in the sporting goods area. Mainly used to keep moisture out of gun cases, but will work with herb just fine. Watch your herb closely or it may dry them out to much!
After a while,(like a year or two),just pop the pack in the oven at about 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes then reuse.
This has worked real well for me over the years and since I got my MFLB I hit all my herb to get to that "sweet spot" that seems to be the optimum for the unit.
Hope this helps and VAPE ON!
Great idea. My undergraduate degree is in Biology and I had to take two years of chemistry as part of the required courses. Apparently, 12 years is enough to forget almost everything I learned. Thanks again for the clever idea.

OF

Great idea. My undergraduate degree is in Biology and I had to take two years of chemistry as part of the required courses. Apparently, 12 years is enough to forget almost everything I learned. Thanks again for the clever idea.

You've got to be a little careful here. Some systems like Dririte are simple absorbers and can be easily 'baked out' (or vacuum dessicated). Silica gel systems, like comes commonly in food and electronics packaging, involve secondary reactions which can't be easily reversed. They are basically 'one shot' affairs.

Both should work fine, but are not interchangeable. I've used Dririte for stuff like this, but not the silica gel systems.

There are also clay based systems, commonly used in the military. Cloth bags of a few pounds typically, they also can be dried back out but I'm not so sure it's a good plan to have them near stuff you intend to 'smoke' later on?

OF

OF,
Reactions: ShipDit
How do you determine it's dry enough? Or, what level of dryness is optimal? Thanks.
My rule of thumb is to get the buds dry enough that they crumble easily between the fingers and grind up Real Fine in the grinder. If the buds kinda shred,I dry them some more. Please remember that I'm pretty new to the MFLB myself so I doubt my ways are what you would call "optimal".....but they work for me! If you would like a much more scholarly description please check out the posts and advise of some of the gurus here....Of,Slightly Medicated and Quetz-however-the-helll-it's-spelled are excellent sources of info on the MFLB. Side note,IMHO you just can't lose by getting the MFLB. The longer ya have one and the more ya use it the better you get!
Have fun!!!

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Wow... lot of advice.

Easiest, fastest way to cure bud, without effecting flavor, etc.

Put it in a mason jar (or other airtight glass). Stick it in the refrigerator, until you see moisture clouding up the glass (you will get a LOT more moisture, when you remove it from the fridge). Remove the jar, dump your herb out on a plate, let it and the jar return to room temperature. Moisture from the herb, built up on the glass and was pulled more to the surface of the herb. Repeat the process, until you get it, to where you want it. You can remove an exceptional amount of moisture, in a very short period, using this method.

i agree. In my response to them where I gave them my warranty info I asked him why this was a known issue that was not brought to public attention. I have yet to recieve a response however and it's been over 2 days which is weird.

I have an email already sent to them. Probably won't hear anything until Monday.

When it comes to the load in the LB, is it possible to have too fine a grind or herb that is over dried?

Is using a fine/dry load for optimal performance specific to the LB? I've tried using my pre-ground/dried supply in other devices and it didn't seem as satisfying as using flower that hasn't been finely ground or dried (in those devices).

UpUpandAway,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
When it comes to the load in the LB, is it possible to have too fine a grind or herb that is over dried?

Is using a fine/dry load for optimal performance specific to the LB? I've tried using my pre-ground/dried supply in other devices and it didn't seem as satisfying as using flower that hasn't been finely ground or dried (in those devices).

My MFLB grind is completely separate from everything else. I haven't found, "too fine" on MFLB grind. I use a electric coffee grinder, with like 15 settings. I put it on 14 and go to town. Stuff is basically powder, but oh man... it vapes SO sweet. Because I've cured it to the right point also (grinding it that fine helps cure a LOT)... it vapes so evenly, thoroughly and vapetastic!

My HI and VB, it just sucks stuff thru the screen and gunks it and my water pieces up. So I have to use a much coarser, parsley-like grind.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'm seriously considering ordering the new finishing grinder (in Walnut) this Friday. I hope it's worth it, for me. I just love wood, and this would be my first wood grinder. Plus, it would match my exotic Walnut LB perfectly. :)

***EDIT- I couldn't wait. I just went ahead and ordered it just now. :lol:

I didn't like that UPS ground was the only option besides two day shipping, which was even more expensive. I think $9.89 is very expensive shipping for a tiny grinder like that. They used to send things USPS priority. I wish they offered that option because I know it would be cheaper.

My MFLB grind is completely separate from everything else. I haven't found, "too fine" on MFLB grind. I use a electric coffee grinder, with like 15 settings. I put it on 14 and go to town. Stuff is basically powder, but oh man... it vapes SO sweet. Because I've cured it to the right point also (grinding it that fine helps cure a LOT)... it vapes so evenly, thoroughly and vapetastic!

My HI and VB, it just sucks stuff thru the screen and gunks it and my water pieces up. So I have to use a much coarser, parsley-like grind.

I've been using a coffee grinder, too, thanks to you and various other members who recommended it. A LOT of kief sticks to the sides, but it produces a mighty fine grind. It's easy enough to scrape out the kief and sprinkle it back into the grind or save for later.

Why is it that a dry and fine grind is particularly well suited to the LB vs other devices?

UpUpandAway,
Reactions: OF

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Why is it that a dry and fine grind is particularly well suited to the LB vs other devices?

Because of the way, current runs thru the screen (each little strand of the screen, is a conductor) the more surface area of herb making contact, plus the even grind allows for even airflow throughout the rest of the trench. Basically setting the MFLB up, for the perfect trench, every time.

Top Bottom