NateHevens

Rises, The Dark Knight
Howdy. Welcome to the fun, glad you're getting 'the box' sorted out.

Slowly but surely... :D

I agree, it's a pile of information to take in. For sure it could be better, on the other hand it's basically unique. You'll notice other vapes don't enjoy this resource? All their users are the poorer for it, IMO.

Oh I agree. I took a look at some of the other pages for vaporizers, and seeing how sparsely populated with info they were just increased my satisfaction at having bought a well-used, well-loved vaporizer product.

While a few of us may be guilty of some of the lame ideas on the wiki page, the fellow you were just chatting with (our own Pakalolo) is the guy that did it all. He pulled it together, corrected the spellings, found the photos and so on. It's all his fault. His offer/plea above is real, I know for sure he'd welcome the very sorts of efforts you're suggesting. You know how to PM him?

Oh! Wow! Really?

Hey pakalolo, I apologize. I didn't realize you were the one actually behind the whole dang page! That's a hell of a project. Too bad other vaporizers don't have such a dedicated fan (and fan-base, of course). I should tell you that it is a damn good job. It has been a helpful source of information. I only came here to figure out what I couldn't find there, and that was mostly my question about the charger. Amazing job, man.

Meanwhile, get to know the little guy. There's a huge key in the herb. Dryness, grind size, bowl load, shaking, power control, air control. It all has to come together to sing...

The shaking is one I had to figure out on my own. I mean, I knew to shake it, but I didn't understand why. At first it seemed to me shaking it did nothing but move around the stuff on top. Of course, the first two times I loaded it, I loaded it above where it was supposed to be loaded, but we did manage to finish that off with pretty even vaping throughout.

Now that I know the correct amount to load, the benefit from shaking is much more visible. My grind is fine, BTW... practically powder. I'm having more trouble grinding the herbs I bought from Magic Flight's store (Balancing Blues). I bought a second grinder from Magic Flight so I don't mix residue in one, but I'm not too impressed with it (the micro-grinder). It can't seem to handle the herbs all that well, especially where there are still large leaves and such.

Keep your batteries charged!

OF

Just as soon as I figure out if my charger's working... :D

NateHevens,

OF

The shaking is one I had to figure out on my own. I mean, I knew to shake it, but I didn't understand why. At first it seemed to me shaking it did nothing but move around the stuff on top. Of course, the first two times I loaded it, I loaded it above where it was supposed to be loaded, but we did manage to finish that off with pretty even vaping throughout.

Now that I know the correct amount to load, the benefit from shaking is much more visible. My grind is fine, BTW... practically powder. I'm having more trouble grinding the herbs I bought from Magic Flight's store (Balancing Blues). I bought a second grinder from Magic Flight so I don't mix residue in one, but I'm not too impressed with it (the micro-grinder). It can't seem to handle the herbs all that well, especially where there are still large leaves and such.

Just as soon as I figure out if my charger's working... :D

OK. Let's take it in 3 parts. First charger. As you know there are many models, all do about the same. LEDs vary widely. Start with the slot empty. This is most likely what it looks like when fully charged. Now stick a known partially discharged battery, the LED should change somehow, this indicates charging. When it goes back to state one, you're done. Expect the battery to run a little warm while charging. If you're sensitive enough it actually gets a bit warmer at the end??

Grind. I grind fine. Not to dust, but to like coarse ground pepper maybe? Finer grind gives better contact and more surface area in play. It also keeps the heat closer to the screen where the vapor is made. Heat higher up in the load is a waste in terms of production. I like the 'factory' grinder but it's kind of a pain sometimes. Be sure your bud is well cured, you want to feel it cut not tear and grab. Dry your bud before if needed. In extreme cases, freeze the bud first (grinder in there too....) and quickly grind frozen. I use an electric coffee grinder and grind a gram or two then meter it out into 1/8 gram lots (120 to 130 mg) in small glass vials. Keeps it ready to go, one per trench.

Lastly, shaking. Consider how it works. Largely, the screen heats from directly carrying current. It gets hot like a griddle at Mc Donald's might. To get hot enough to vape herb basically has to rest on the hot metal (there's some IR and other heat around but it's at lower temperatures, the action is on the screen surface). It has to flow like sand. After the first hit I open the box, dump the load in my left palm (I'm a righty), break it up with thumb and forefinger of my right and scoop it back in the box over the 'battery side' of the box. Then hit it again right away. If it shakes free, fine, sometimes it takes a second shot to get rid of all the remaining moisture. By now most of the taste is gone (still a bit left but #3 is light...) but there's a LOT of the good stuff in there, time to get to it. I shake it to randomly mix then shake it level. I'll open it up and gently flatten it down if it doesn't want to. The trench fills to the rails and drops as it vapes. The key is to keep circulating the small fraction in contact so it all gets some time in the vape zone.

One last thought, save your AVB.

Regards,

OF

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hey pakalolo, I apologize. I didn't realize you were the one actually behind the whole dang page! That's a hell of a project. Too bad other vaporizers don't have such a dedicated fan (and fan-base, of course). I should tell you that it is a damn good job. It has been a helpful source of information. I only came here to figure out what I couldn't find there, and that was mostly my question about the charger. Amazing job, man.

Apology not accepted. :nope:

That's because an apology isn't necessary. :D I didn't mention that I compiled the Vaporpedia page because it isn't important to me that people know I did it. What is important is that people find it useful. I happen to agree that it should be broken down into sub-pages, but I've put that idea forward a couple of times and the reaction I've gotten most is to leave it alone. Maybe this time there'll be a change of heart.

NateHevens

Rises, The Dark Knight
OK. Let's take it in 3 parts. First charger. As you know there are many models, all do about the same. LEDs vary widely. Start with the slot empty. This is most likely what it looks like when fully charged. Now stick a known partially discharged battery, the LED should change somehow, this indicates charging. When it goes back to state one, you're done. Expect the battery to run a little warm while charging. If you're sensitive enough it actually gets a bit warmer at the end??

That's what I read on the Vaporpedia page. However, the directions that came with this particular charger are a tad different. I'll try and get a picture of the charger to upload tonight. Read my first post here, and you'll see the problem I'm having.

Grind. I grind fine. Not to dust, but to like coarse ground pepper maybe? Finer grind gives better contact and more surface area in play. It also keeps the heat closer to the screen where the vapor is made. Heat higher up in the load is a waste in terms of production. I like the 'factory' grinder but it's kind of a pain sometimes. Be sure your bud is well cured, you want to feel it cut not tear and grab. Dry your bud before if needed. In extreme cases, freeze the bud first (grinder in there too....) and quickly grind frozen. I use an electric coffee grinder and grind a gram or two then meter it out into 1/8 gram lots (120 to 130 mg) in small glass vials. Keeps it ready to go, one per trench.

Can you dry already ground bud? I think it may have accumulated a little moisture. I've stored it in a medicine bottle because I have nothing better and I have to be very discreet... and that discreetness means I've had it for at least a month.

Lastly, shaking. Consider how it works. Largely, the screen heats from directly carrying current. It gets hot like a griddle at Mc Donald's might. To get hot enough to vape herb basically has to rest on the hot metal (there's some IR and other heat around but it's at lower temperatures, the action is on the screen surface). It has to flow like sand. After the first hit I open the box, dump the load in my left palm (I'm a righty), break it up with thumb and forefinger of my right and scoop it back in the box over the 'battery side' of the box. Then hit it again right away. If it shakes free, fine, sometimes it takes a second shot to get rid of all the remaining moisture. By now most of the taste is gone (still a bit left but #3 is light...) but there's a LOT of the good stuff in there, time to get to it. I shake it to randomly mix then shake it level. I'll open it up and gently flatten it down if it doesn't want to. The trench fills to the rails and drops as it vapes. The key is to keep circulating the small fraction in contact so it all gets some time in the vape zone.

I've been slowly figuring that out.

One last thought, save your AVB.

Regards,

OF

What can I do with it? One friend told me he tried it once and it gave him a headache. For the record, I have been saving it, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Apology not accepted. :nope:

That's because an apology isn't necessary. :D I didn't mention that I compiled the Vaporpedia page because it isn't important to me that people know I did it. What is important is that people find it useful. I happen to agree that it should be broken down into sub-pages, but I've put that idea forward a couple of times and the reaction I've gotten most is to leave it alone. Maybe this time there'll be a change of heart.

And it is extremely useful. You should be proud. :)

NateHevens,

OF

Can you dry already ground bud? I think it may have accumulated a little moisture. I've stored it in a medicine bottle because I have nothing better and I have to be very discreet... and that discreetness means I've had it for at least a month.

What can I do with it? One friend told me he tried it once and it gave him a headache. For the record, I have been saving it, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

And it is extremely useful. You should be proud. :)

Yes, down to a few percent if the air is dry enough and warm enough. Spread it out to make it go faster, but leaving it open when warm and dry, sealing it otherwise will do fine. Error on the dry side. When you go to vape it, you have to evaporate the water away before you can get to the good stuff anyway, no sense eating up your battery for that.

Lots of things. There's a forum on it around here somewhere. It contains some THC but a higher ratio of CBD and other cool stuff. Different high. Some of us vape at higher temps, probably out for you? Another idea is "Firecrackers" a toaster oven Peanut Butter, AVB and Graham Cracker sandwich noting at all like the Girl Scouts make..... Look it up. If you can get by the taste (really not all that bad, IMO) they can become a great invention.

And lastly like you said about our Pakalolo. None like him. We protect him. We don't rent him out any more and don't loan him to strangers.....

OF

OF,

NateHevens

Rises, The Dark Knight
Yes, down to a few percent if the air is dry enough and warm enough. Spread it out to make it go faster, but leaving it open when warm and dry, sealing it otherwise will do fine. Error on the dry side. When you go to vape it, you have to evaporate the water away before you can get to the good stuff anyway, no sense eating up your battery for that.

What's the best, least smelly way of doing it? How do you dry it out?

I should point out that I live in Boca Raton, FL, so there's no such thing as "dry air" around here...

Lots of things. There's a forum on it around here somewhere. It contains some THC but a higher ratio of CBD and other cool stuff. Different high. Some of us vape at higher temps, probably out for you? Another idea is "Firecrackers" a toaster oven Peanut Butter, AVB and Graham Cracker sandwich noting at all like the Girl Scouts make..... Look it up. If you can get by the taste (really not all that bad, IMO) they can become a great invention.

Okay. I've been dying to try edibles, and it looks like this may be my ticket. Although, the article I found suggests using pure or only mildly vaped bud (it also calls for Nutella). Any other recipes out there? Do you use a specific one?

I wonder if one could do something similar making S'mores...

Thoughts?

And lastly like you said about our Pakalolo. None like him. We protect him. We don't rent him out any more and don't loan him to strangers.....

OF

I do not blame you.

NateHevens,

poonman

It has been over 72 hours since mflb sent me their auto-reply e-mail ,
regarding my warranty replacement request . ( they said they would contact within 48 - 72 hrs ) .

I don't think , that's the " great mflb customer service " , that I've been hearing about !

Re-sent e-mail to mflb just now .

Will keep you posted .

poonman,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It has been over 72 hours since mflb sent me their auto-reply e-mail ,
regarding my warranty replacement request . ( they said they would contact within 48 - 72 hrs ) .

I don't think , that's the " great mflb customer service " , that I've been hearing about !

Re-sent e-mail to mflb just now .

Will keep you posted .

Their business has exploded (taken off BIG TIME), but their staff has not expanded. They do have great customer service. Be patient, they will help you. I promise. :)

Vicki,
Reactions: poonman

OF

What's the best, least smelly way of doing it? How do you dry it out?

I should point out that I live in Boca Raton, FL, so there's no such thing as "dry air" around here...

Okay. I've been dying to try edibles, and it looks like this may be my ticket. Although, the article I found suggests using pure or only mildly vaped bud (it also calls for Nutella). Any other recipes out there? Do you use a specific one?

I wonder if one could do something similar making S'mores...

I do not blame you.

Least smelly way is probably desiccant in a jar. Either the one shot versions, or the ones you "bake" to recharge. Otherwise use relative humidity (change temperature). Since smell is not an issue for me I just leave it open when warm. Some guys put the jar on top of the computer, router, cable box, water heater or any other handy hot thing (I recall someone using a desk lamp...Vitolo?).

Of course you'll make the best edibles from the best herb, but that wasn't the goal, right? Depending on how much you vape it, you might need a gram or more of AVB. Think about it, if it's 10% as potent as fresh, it's going to take ten times more. The key to it is you need to bind to an appropriate carrier to absorb it. In the old days we used butter (lots around on that), the modern hot time is coconut oil which has even more useful fat in it. Peanut oil (from the peanut butter) is the important part with the AVB, it's what makes the THC available. Leave it (or a replacement) out and all you get is bad taste. Like I said, look up 'firecrackers'.....

Finally, regarding Pakalolo, it's not a matter of you not blaming us for keeping him for our own evil reasons, like it or not you're part of us. It's them we have to worry about, doncha see?

OF

OF,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The key to it is you need to bind to an appropriate carrier to absorb it. In the old days we used butter (lots around on that), the modern hot time is coconut oil which has even more useful fat in it. Peanut oil (from the peanut butter) is the important part with the AVB, it's what makes the THC available.

I have tons of nug jugs laying around and I use one to keep my ABV in. Once I filled it up, I poured it in some all-natural peanut butter, mixed thoroughly, and let it sit for some days (can't remember how many, more than three though.) One "healthy" tablespoon gets me nicely, two and a few trenches on top was too much! Woke up medicated the next morning until around 11am. The texture may be disagreeable, as I just eat the spoonful straight, but a gulp or two of tea gets rid of it :)

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: OF

OF

I have tons of nug jugs laying around and I use one to keep my ABV in. Once I filled it up, I poured it in some all-natural peanut butter, mixed thoroughly, and let it sit for some days (can't remember how many, more than three though.)

I've heard of, but never tried, this technique. A key is to NOT refrigerate it and to stir a bit as I understand it. Just don't leave it lying around for a hungry friend to make a PB&J out of it.....

I've always favored the 'wrap it in foil and bake it before eating' technique. Faster and sure. I agree, the taste problem is overblown. It's better than a lot of boiled veggies by a long shot. Besides, Broccoli don't get you off, doncha know?

OF

OF,
Reactions: sydnee

OF

There is absolutely no reason to bake it. As it's already decarboxylated.

There absolutely is, it makes the reaction happen faster..... I said as much above. Some of us aren't as patient as others. Please take it in context?

It improves delivery in my experience, and I don't think I'm alone. Otherwise there's also no need for the PB or crackers.....

"Chicken soup, can't hurt, might help"?

OF

OF,

sundaddy

Could be placebo affect I suppose. You can literally just eat the ABV with a spoon, which I have done. i prefer peanut butter mixed with Nutella, just because it's so damn good. Either way, I get FUBAR'd every time.

sundaddy,

stuey

I didn't find much advantage (aside from cosmetic) to ISO. It starts getting better in a few trenches IIRC a few grams down the road you can't find it with a strain change. I did it on purpose to learn the limits. I hope you remember well the rapid change of taste just before it took off? Next time you're there.......

OF

I did notice a huge difference after doing an ISO clean. The difference probably isnt that great when using the PA as you can just keep turning the power up and up but I found the difference when using the LB on batteries was huge after a clean. I probably clean mine once every 4 weeks or so.

stuey,

OF

I did notice a huge difference after doing an ISO clean. The difference probably isnt that great when using the PA as you can just keep turning the power up and up but I found the difference when using the LB on batteries was huge after a clean. I probably clean mine once every 4 weeks or so.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm talking about getting the smell of combustion out. I found the smell in the wood, what little there is on the metal no doubt flashes right off?

Routine cleaning of resins is a different matter, of course.

Every few weeks? Just how often do you combust?

OF

OF,

stuey

I use 2 grinders.

I use a space case mini grinder (they are quite new and offer a much finer grind than the usual space case range)

Then I put that into the MF grinder and grind again.

The SC grinder is a better overall grinder than the MF grinder, but even then the grind is still not as fine as with the MF grinder (although its reasonably close)

I agree that the MF grinder isnt great, in the sense that its hard to use on piece of bud.

The two combined are great, the SC gets the bud ground easily, pluss its physically bigger than the MF grinder thus making it easier to grip etc.

Then the bud is finished off in the MF grinder and comes out a bit courser than salt.

For anyone thats not using the MF grinder, I would suggest getting one, one of the biggest factors in perfect vapeing with the MF is the grind.

I have tried loads of different grinders and the MF does offer the finest grind I have ever seen. I do stil recommend using another grinder to "regrind" first.

stuey

Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm talking about getting the smell of combustion out. I found the smell in the wood, what little there is on the metal no doubt flashes right off?

Routine cleaning of resins is a different matter, of course.

Every few weeks? Just how often do you combust?

OF

Sorry Im just talking about cleaning resin rather than dealing with combustion.. I think I have combusted once.

I was just talking about the difference that an ISO clean makes in terms of the quality of the vapor produced.

stuey,

OF

Sorry Im just talking about cleaning resin rather than dealing with combustion.. I think I have combusted once.

I was just talking about the difference that an ISO clean makes in terms of the quality of the vapor produced.

Thanks, I though it might be out of context.

FWIW I think once is enough for most guys. I did it once on purpose so I'd know how to avoid it, a painful but useful lesson.

Also FWIW the strain/cure seems to have a lot to do with buildup as well.

OF

OF,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Is there a new design for 2012?

Hi,

We do design changes whenever there is a reason, though not usually by season (the year). There have not really been any significant functional changes this year so far. Mostly, we have been working on setting up for more artistic touches rather than functional ones (though there are a number of new product designs in the works as well).

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
I've noticed that my box has started to smell quite a bit more than I recall. ...

Hi,

You may want to be sure that the material you are vaping is completely dry before use. If it is generally too wet, it will cause the terpines (smell) to condense in the Box, causing the buildup you are noticing. If you switch to perfectly dry material, the smell will most likely dissipate in time. You may also want to consult the vaporpedia for cleaning details.

Edit: Note that "properly cured" for smoking means that there is a fair bit of moisture still present (it improves taste and prevents it from burning too fast). For vaping, bone dry is best -- and it makes it infinitely easier to grind super fine (which is even better).

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,
Reactions: Vicki

NateHevens

Rises, The Dark Knight
Hi magicflight! How are you?

I'm going to start a conversation with you, about chargers and batteries...

NateHevens,

poonman

Hi,

You may want to be sure that the material you are vaping is completely dry before use. If it is generally too wet, it will cause the terpines (smell) to condense in the Box, causing the buildup you are noticing. If you switch to perfectly dry material, the smell will most likely dissipate in time. You may also want to consult the vaporpedia for cleaning details.

Edit: Note that "properly cured" for smoking means that there is a fair bit of moisture still present (it improves taste and prevents it from burning too fast). For vaping, bone dry is best -- and it makes it infinitely easier to grind super fine (which is even better).

-- Magic-Flight

Hello magicflight ,
I sent you an e-mail regarding my warranty 4 days ago , and I still haven't heard back from you .

Can we talk ?

poonman,
Top Bottom