I sounds like there are to many disadvantages from the coin, and I like being able to see the contents of the box and still having it covered. But if you guys did release a metal cover I bet it would be sick nonetheless.

Seagullmeat,

luchiano

magicflight, I was wondering can you answer a post I wrote earlier because I was wondering if my idea was right. Here's the post:

"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's really an induction vaporizer being that it heats up and cools so fast with just an electric battery as opposed to a conduction vaporizer like the iolite that uses gas to heat up the chamber then pass that heat energy to the herb sitting in the "Pot"and the air surrounding the herb and a convection vaporizer, like most whip vaporizers, which just heat an element that heats the air passing through it. Damn vaporizers are like cooking utensils just small and portable and have different uses based on certain needs.

If I'm wrong forgive me for sounding stupid "

luchiano,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Seagullmeat said:
Has anyone tried cleaning their WPA yet?

I cleaned the glass parts like I do with any other glass - soak in 91% iso and maybe a little q-tip scrub

The wood part I'm leaving be. Only time will tell how much that small ring of surface area inside gets built up. Judging from how it looks now (approx. 100 trenches through it) its not going to be anything a little surface scrape with a paper clip wont cure.

and to MF: One would never know the hypnotic joys of vaked trench flipping. I'll take clear all day. Although a custom blown multi colored glass top with a "trench window" over the main insides would be about the coolest shit ever, for the stay at home box :brow:

JDSupreme,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
JDSupreme said:
and to MF: One would never know the hypnotic joys of vaked trench flipping. I'll take clear all day. Although a custom blown multi colored glass top with a "trench window" over the main insides would be about the coolest shit ever, for the stay at home box :brow:
I second JD, I'd much prefer clear and would be interested in a glass top although I'd stay with a clear one.

AgentofChaos,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i agree, clear is the way to go, and as efficient as the box is already, i think it does just fine by itself.

stroh,

elevation

Vicki so cool u vaped at the Kennedy Space Center..getting spaced out in the Space Center..
I come from Europe but i've been there 2 years ago. Pretty awesome.

elevation,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
elevation said:
Vicki so cool u vaped at the Kennedy Space Center..getting spaced out in the Space Center..
I come from Europe but i've been there 2 years ago. Pretty awesome.

I'm just glad I was able to medicate when I needed to, with no problems at all.

Vicki,

Depayne

vaporous
Thanks for the incredibly detailed reply! This lil' box is my constant pocket companion, so learning more about it's design characteristics from the manufacturer, directly is beyond cool - and exceedingly rare in my entire consumer experience. My sincere appreciation and kudos...

magicflight said:
{snip}
When a coin is placed in the chamber as described, a new circuit path is created. The resistance of this path is highly variable, mostly due to the points of contact between the coin and the screen/rails on either side of the trench. The resistance of the coin itself is fairly low whereas that of the interface junctions is typically much higher -- all three resistances are effectively in series. The interface resistances are largely defined by the degree of surface oxidization of both metal surfaces and the pressure (weight and inertia) associated with the contact. As such, it is hard to define in general what is going to happen electrically since all of these variables are very specific to the degree of coin polish, newness of the unit, the true area of contact, and the contact pressure. (For example, 2 lbs of difference in surface pressure can result in a 80% variance in overall conductance).

A very thorough explanation, indeed. Thanks, again! I remembered the other day - after Seek mentioned it in a reply to my op - that Ohm's Law predicts resistance (of the coin, in my case) would remain the same regardless of the rapidly-waning current produced by the 1.25v NiMH, but would change proportional to the very same Joule heat the MFLB screen depends on to vaporize the material in the trench. Like, when it gets hot, it would be less resistant, I think? I believe the same Fourier transform/formula that maps heat, applies to the ohmic problem. But...uh...it's been so many years since I last did that, and - like Doug Benson says - "I smoke a lot...a LOT...A LOT...ALOTALOT of weed"

So the coin remains constant in terms of resistivity, as the current varies over the diminishing battery charge/life; but would grow hotter according to Joule's 1st Law: that is, proportional to the (varying) current squared, times the coin's (varying, as you state) resistance. SIGH - it's just crazy complex, man! :)

And I guess that's my end point - do the physics really matter? The environmental variables, alone, blow my mind - atmospheric pressure and wetness of herb and grind and draw strength and pack density, etc. One beautiful simplicity of the MFLB is that it seems to be that it's a system with a built-in feedback loop: make the connection -> material gets hot -> vapor is produced -> battery is removed/connection broken -> repeat...pretty much all goddamned day. The variables and exigencies of materials and surface potential and shiny seems to me (and to me ONLY, since ISwearToGod, I am not *advocating* the coin thing - I'm just sayin') to be wholly academic - since it's a functionally-dependent control. When the bud gets hot enough, slow the breathing and then take out the battery. The trench does gets to the desired temp at a different rate with the coin, and the battery will/may perform differently. It's a sort of ghetto mod thing, for me - not intended for general distribution or utility.

I can report experentially that my batteries (again, since Feb 11) still give up five-six 30 second inhalations, as they did OOTB.

magicflight said:
{snip}
-- adding any more additional current paths is definitely not recommended.

End of the day, that's the final word, right there... I can attest to the IR effects - and say, anecdotally, that it's never been hot enough to singe a fingernail used to dislodge it, mere seconds after use. But - again - it's a risk factor, burn wise.

magicflight said:
Therefore and in conclusion, the overall recommendation is to not use the coin. It may help with some characteristics of the heating (rapid onset, improved critical balance), but it does so at some risk to the batteries and with some other performance disadvantages as well (heat transfer in time and space; no visibility to the load, compromised airflow).

One alternative approach to achieve some of the same beneficial IR effects without any risk to the battery would be to add a thin copper foil reflector to the inside surface of the lid (or alternately, for us as the manufacturer to have make the lid completely out of copper/brass altogether).
{snip}
magicflight said:
So therefore, the main question is this: how many people here would prefer to have a metal cover and not see the Box contents, knowing also that sometimes the cover could get a little warm to the touch?

-- Magic-Flight

For the record, I don't recommend it either. tbh, I thought it'd be a way more common experimental thing.

Also: I'd be more interested in a copper bottom added to that ubersweet little micro-grinder that the web-copy says is designed to "fit into the bowl". Then, users who wanted to IR-bump the temp - even if only occasionally - could have the option. Too, if it rests atop the rubber screen-retention ring, then no electrical affects would occur, and airflow would be minimally modified. Seriously, though - it's a great box and a sweet piece of kit, as it is - and I am so fond of it.

Thanks for the time you took to reply and to read this screed - Much Respect.

depayne

Depayne,

vtvape

Willuminati I also was having difficulty with my 4-piece grinder and I just recieved the mflb oem grinder today from puffitup ( the same one nr-cole posted). It works great, it gets a really fine grind that is great for the box the only drawback I have so far is that it is very small and can be more annoying/harder to grind because of this

vtvape,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I received my new Launch Box and PA this afternoon. I already love them both very much. Although, I haven't quite found the sweet spot on the PA as of yet. I also think my new LB is running a bit hot. I am using the PA close to the lowest setting, and my ABV is still a lot darker than normal. I haven't combusted, but have probably come close.

I am sure the box will chill out in a few days. Then, I'll be able to start to find the sweet spot on the PA. :)

I really should have ordered the PA a long time ago. I can tell it will be just like my LB, I wont be able to live without it. :D

Vicki,

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
i think the simpler, the better. there is a lifetime warranty on it & the more intricate it gets, the more claims mflb will ultimately have to deal with. the longer they stay in business, the longer our warranties last for...i also like how i do not have to really worry about anything fancy except it opening in my pocket & spilling (which kind of sucks, actually, since im too lazy to keep the rubber band around).

i have also thought of a few little upgrades/modifications that could be made (some by the company & some by the user), even though im not counting on it:
- like a groove thats cut into the box that can pinch & hold the brush & small acrylic stem (possibly a backup/used battery)
- a flip-top on a hinge instead of swivel so you can get those little particles that get stuck under the spot that never gets exposed
- a "swiveling turntable with stirring rods" that you spin to mix up the contents without having to open the lid (would have to be used with a flip top lid instead of the swivel lid but could allow the brush to be left at home for cleanings only) OR a slide on the lid that can be slid to quickly shift the herbs
- i actually pushed a toothpick into the hollow tube at the other end of the brush. i use the toothpick pointy side to poke & stir, while i use the brush side to clean it out when im done (i fit up to 2 toothpicks in the brush so that it makes it harder to puncture the delicate screen)
- another "bump" to hold the lid in place more securely or a more effective clip lid that could be used with my hinge-lid modification
- this one is probably pretty unlikely, but change the appearance so it looks like a pencil sharpener or take the "magic-flight.com" off of the device so parents cant research it if they find it

- EDIT: what about an optional watch strap & watch face (that you could clip on top)...or something like that...(although if nobody knew what one was, you could probably pass it off to them as a pencil sharpener)

i had more but forgot for the moment...i should write them down as i think of them...

ill post them as i think of it...or just keep editing this post...

akwardsauce,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
From what I've gathered, from my experience, is its very easy to sand off all the text on the box (though, I'd leave my serial number, if I were you). However, I think the text adds to the charm and being the parent, I don't give a damn if my parents find it. ;)

Thanks MF for the input. You sure shook up the cobwebs for me and it all sounds solid. Especially the variables in the equation. Way too many.

I wouldn't change anything on this box, unless you had a watch size, rechargeable battery that would hold at least 1 hour vape time per charge. :lol: Yeah, I know... that ain't happening any time soon.

Got my gratitude package from MF today, with a personal note :). I'll check out the PA tonight. Though, I need to buy a water pipe for the WPA. I've got my eyes on a couple at the local shop. Once I get one, I'll post a review of it also.

In regards to the grind. I bought a 2.5" 4 pc yesterday to go with my 2" and my micro grinder (I really don't like the micro, too small to handle, nice grind though). I wanted to grind up a larger bud, so I broke out the 2.5". Though, after watching MF's youtube video, I saw how fine a grind they used. So I ran the previous grind through my 2". Of course I lost a LOT to the kief, but damn... I got a LOT of that off the 2nd grind. Going to have nice large pill size hash in the not so distant future. By the way. Can you vape hash?

Here's another pic of the new LB. Fresh trench of Green Headband. This is one of the 1st trenches with the double grind. Obviously most of the fine stuff, is at the bottom. I vape about 3 of these a day and a single battery usually covers it. Just another reason I love it so much. I swear I'm going to take it into Wally World (Walmart) with me one of these days.

2011-08-29143454.jpg

Debbie, I swear that bush just moved!
91MossMan.jpg

BigDaddyVapor,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
luchiano said:
It's really an induction vaporizer being that it heats up and cools so fast with just an electric battery as opposed to a conduction vaporizer like the iolite that uses gas to heat up the chamber then pass that heat energy to the herb sitting in the "Pot" and the air surrounding the herb and a convection vaporizer, like most whip vaporizers, which just heat an element that heats the air passing through it.

Hi Luchiano,

The only bit I might comment on is the terminology. In cooking, "Induction" heaters tend to use high frequency magnetic fields to create eddy currents in a metal container (like your cooking pan). These induced eddy currents create a simple resistive circuit in the pan, itself creating heat. The benefit to induction heating is that heat is created only where and when needed. That tends to make them fast and efficient. The MFLB is partly a conduction heater and partly an infra red (IR) heater (else that coin trick would not work like it did). While it does not use a high frequency magnetic field to create the heat, the specific design does allow for similar advantages: fast heat created only when and where needed. The analogy you suggest is a reasonable one, even though the actual technology used is a bit different.

Incidentally, we did actually build an induction system vaporizer as a lab prototype once. It worked ok, but was extremely expensive and hard to make -- not at all portable. I think that overall, the Box actually performs much better.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
If I were ever going to be cleared to work and lived in MF's neighborhood. I swear, I would camp out on their front door... until they gave me a job. Hell, if my disability and settlement come through... you all pay to move me and I'll intern for free! :cool:

EDIT: OK, so I plugged in the PA. I'm going to ask this question, though I'm pretty sure I know the answer. But, when the power supply is plugged in and I grab the "battery", it feels like its producing some low to mid frequency buzz/hum. I'm assuming this isn't normal? It works... but I would just like to get that cleared up. Also, it doesn't matter what power setting its set at. The sensation is the same.

BigDaddyVapor,

luchiano

magicflight said:
luchiano said:
It's really an induction vaporizer being that it heats up and cools so fast with just an electric battery as opposed to a conduction vaporizer like the iolite that uses gas to heat up the chamber then pass that heat energy to the herb sitting in the "Pot" and the air surrounding the herb and a convection vaporizer, like most whip vaporizers, which just heat an element that heats the air passing through it.

Hi Luchiano,

The only bit I might comment on is the terminology. In cooking, "Induction" heaters tend to use high frequency magnetic fields to create eddy currents in a metal container (like your cooking pan). These induced eddy currents create a simple resistive circuit in the pan, itself creating heat. The benefit to induction heating is that heat is created only where and when needed. That tends to make them fast and efficient. The MFLB is partly a conduction heater and partly an infra red (IR) heater (else that coin trick would not work like it did). While it does not use a high frequency magnetic field to create the heat, the specific design does allow for similar advantages: fast heat created only when and where needed. The analogy you suggest is a reasonable one, even though the actual technology used is a bit different.

Incidentally, we did actually build an induction system vaporizer as a lab prototype once. It worked ok, but was extremely expensive and hard to make -- not at all portable. I think that overall, the Box actually performs much better.

-- Magic-Flight

Thanks for letting me know what the deal is.

luchiano,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Its awesome reading. Great stuff in there. You're probably vaked out of your mind. You got something better to do at this hour?

BigDaddyVapor,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
BigDaddyVapor said:
By the way. Can you vape hash?
You can, but you have to prevent the hash from melting (possibly going through screen into the bottom chamber).

One solution is using a vape, where hash can't get anywhere when liquid (doesn't have a screen below the hash) like Iolite, cano medical or some else.

Other solution is to mix the ground hash with a herb, so it soaks into the herb instead of falling through the screen.

But be careful, it is messy anytime. Everytime I vaped hash in a iolite I had to clean it a little.

Seek,

stroh

errl enthusiast
^ crumbling it to a fine powder and putting it atop a fresh trench is recommended for vaporizing hash. Oils can be done a similar way, though all concentrates can be used carefully if you don't mind dirtying up your screen.

stroh,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Vicki said:
I received my new Launch Box and PA this afternoon. I already love them both very much. Although, I haven't quite found the sweet spot on the PA as of yet. I also think my new LB is running a bit hot. I am using the PA close to the lowest setting, and my ABV is still a lot darker than normal. I haven't combusted, but have probably come close.

I am sure the box will chill out in a few days. Then, I'll be able to start to find the sweet spot on the PA. :)

Totally normal

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magi....27_period_after_which_the_Box_runs_cooler.3F

JDSupreme,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Vicki said:
Ok, I can officially say I have used my Launch Box at Kennedy Space Center, NASA. In the parking lot, and several different bathrooms. :)

That was a client of mine. We actually worked their final launch. Awesome toking!

mvapes,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
JDSupreme said:
Vicki said:

Totally normal

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magi....27_period_after_which_the_Box_runs_cooler.3F

Copied from Vaporpedia:

Since the Power Adaptor has been available, however, there is evidence that there actually could be a break-in period. While testing a new LB, FC member JDSupreme removed the battery effect by keeping the PA setting constant, and he reports that the Box did run hotter until it had been used several times. This supports considerable anecdotal evidence that there is a break-in period after all.

I am in the same situation as you were, JD. I'm using a brand new LB, and a brand new PA. I have always believed there was a break in period when I was using the batteries. Now I am positive, and I've only been using the brand new LB and PA one day. I just have to be careful not to combust for a few days. :)

Vicki,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
esrever said:
Top Ten Benefits of Using The Magic Box (as far as I know this hasn't been done already)

10) the ability to "get inspired" anywhere, anytime
9) no more next day fuzzies
8) conserves herb so well you can now afford the really, really really good stuff
7) clean lungs!
6) say goodbye to coughing, burned fingers and tell-tale burn holes in your clothes and furniture
5) no matches? no lighter?? no problem!
4) never again having to hide under a beach towel or your shirt to combat the wind
3) more herb for cooking and baking
2) no more feeling like there was a cook-out inside your mouth

and the number #1 benefit of using the Magic Box:
you can now tell your boss, co-workers, straight friends, and family you no longer smoke pot!

I have certainly coughed with my LB! If I score some primo headie I've coughed until I look like a smurf!
I own my company and have no problem telling everyone (family included) that I LOVE ganja and those who don't like may kindly bend over, pucker up, and kiss it! lol

Viva la Mary Jane... :peace:

mvapes,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
plurr said:
How long does customer support usually take to respond? I emailed them about two days ago and I'm wondering if I should send them another email.

I had the same question, I emailed them a question on Friday and haven't had a response yet. I guess I will give it till tomorrow and if I havent had a response I will try again.

mvapes,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
mvapes said:
I have certainly coughed with my LB! If I score some primo headie I've coughed until I look like a smurf!

Me too! I always have top shelf herb, and I always cough with my LB. I have to take extremely small hits if I don't want to cough.

Vicki,
Top Bottom