darkrom

Great Scott!
Not that I particularly care until the forum is mainly foreign languages, but isn't this supposed to be an English only forum? Either way I welcome any languages, up until the point where it's hard to find English content.

darkrom,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Ed's TnT said:
wot said:
Ed's TnT said:
Hello, I have a question, what species of wood is the MFLB made of?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Maple for newer units and Birch for older ones.

Thank you.

Some one just said mentioned to me they had a walnut MFLB, did they have them in this species also?

Ed's TnT,

MG23

Relaxin'
Ed's TnT said:
Ed's TnT said:
wot said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Maple for newer units and Birch for older ones.

Thank you.

Some one just said mentioned to me they had a walnut MFLB, did they have them in this species also?

It must've been a special order. They're generally Maple or Birch.

MG23,

dt403

Question regarding batteries: I just got my first Launch Box a few days ago and love it. One thing - after using it at one point, i put the battery and box back in its tin. I went to pick it up about 10 minutes later, and the tin felt very warm. I opened it and there was condensation on the lid, and the battery was very hot to the touch. I also noticed a bit of what Im guessing is corrosion, near the nib on the positive end. The battery was not in contact with anything at the time.

What I'm wondering is, is this common? What's causing it? And is it safe to continue using? For the record Im assuming its not usable until told otherwise.

dt403,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
dt403 said:
Question regarding batteries: I just got my first Launch Box a few days ago and love it. One thing - after using it at one point, i put the battery and box back in its tin. I went to pick it up about 10 minutes later, and the tin felt very warm. I opened it and there was condensation on the lid, and the battery was very hot to the touch. I also noticed a bit of what Im guessing is corrosion, near the nib on the positive end. The battery was not in contact with anything at the time.

What I'm wondering is, is this common? What's causing it? And is it safe to continue using? For the record Im assuming its not usable until told otherwise.

If you put the battery in a tin container without using one of the battery caps, the battery will short if the positive nipple makes contact with the side of the tin. This will cause it to discharge rapidly and heat up. The "corrosion" you see is likely a consequence of the overheating.

Toss the battery and write it off to experience. It could have been worse; people have put them in a pocket with keys/loose change and had much nastier experiences.

pakalolo,
Adapter review: (I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.)

So I've been playing with my handy dandy MFLB power adapter for a few days now. I must say, it is waaaaay better being free of the battery, having to charge all the time. When dialed in right, you get a full battery hit every time. That said, it does have a bit of a learning curve I experienced. I accidently combusted once, having the heat up too high, then not drawing fast enough, causing a little bit of smoldering to happen. I found having it around 1/8 of an inch or so down from full power works about perfect for me.

The "battery" part that you plug into the box is pretty cool. There's a little button you have to push on the end of it for it to start heating up the unit. You just slide the battery part in (with push back ring taken out), and with a little pressure while hitting the button, you're ready to go. Releasing the button then cuts power.

I have noticed a slight problem with the battery part, in relation to the box itself. When it's pushed all the way in, it makes my plexi-lid rise up off of the wood slightly, on the battery hole side. We're talking about 1/32" here, but still, it's not a perfect fit anymore. I wonder if that's why it seems a little different than using the actual battery, like why I had to change my draw a bit it seemed? Is there a way I can fix that? Maybe bending the metal ring in there a certain way? I just noticed it, haha, it's going to bother me until it's fixed. Also, the added pressure on the ring from the battery adapter has caused the metal to scratch the lid, making a perfect circle scraped into the underside of my lid. Also annoying.

As for the adapter unit itself, it could really use a couple of those rubber "feet" for the bottom of the two wooden stand things. I actually have the thing zip tied loosely to horizontal rail on my coffee table, for a couple reasons. One, it slide allll over the table when trying to put the MFLB unit down. This is where the rubber feet things would come in handy. The cord is pretty heavy, and just pushes everything around the table. It already fell off the table once or twice, hence me zip tying it. But the second reason I zip tied it is so I can slide it back and forth on the rail to people sitting further away very easily. Works pretty good if I do say so myself. :D As for the look of the unit, the gold metal looks pretty crude. It would look way cool if it was polished up. ;) The wood stand is a nice touch though, plain, but nice.

All in all, it works pretty damn good. It sure as hell beats constantly charging batteries! I'm happy with it for 64 bucks. I don't see how it costs anywhere close to 64 dollars in parts to make, but I'm no authority on manufacturing stuff. But also, it seems like for the money it wouldn't have the problems I've touched upon, but hey, it is a beta after all. Maybe they'll hook up the people who bought this version with a final, more spruced up version :p

Pros:

No more batteries!
"Full battery hit" every time, all the time! Very reliable.
Controllable heat
Looks pretty cool

Cons:

Battery adapter pushes lid up slightly off the box, losing perfect seal.
Heavy cord pushes MFLB and adapter around the table.
Possible to overheat your herbs, causing accidental combustion.
Gold case of adapter unit looks a little dingy.
A little pricey, but IMO, totally worth it. 50 bucks would be ideal I think.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my launch box/adapter. I would recommend it to everyone. Having not to charge batteries is just, well, it's just awesome guys. The things I mentioned that bothered me are small things, and can easily be fixed with a little practice (over heating issue), or with just a couple tweaks on the Magic-Flight end.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to Magic-Flight for making awesome shit.

Peace, I'm out.

MrPinkFloyd,

tompumped

Cairo1 said:
I have found the ebay vendors much less desirable to deal with. They are generally shell companies that legitimate dealers use as a way to get around the manufacturer's MAP pricing. Typical gray market crap. The legit dealer can't sell below $X, so they create a no-service shell company to sell on ebay for $X less 15% or such.

I did this once and will never do it again. My ebay "bargain" cost me big-time in the end. Don't count on any service with an ebay vape merchant.

I have had nothing but smooth transactions on eBay for years. This was my second incident out of hundreds. I have bought a number of high performance car/engine parts at great prices on eBay. I wouldn't have been able to get the ammount or quality of parts I was getting if I was dealing with a local speed shop, because of money issues back then. I don't need to have a relationship with the person who sells me my parts/vaporizer as long as it comes with the real manufacturer warranty, I see no reason to even contact the seller again. To each is own though.

On another not one thing that worries me is the fact that I can smell the product i'm vaping through the battery hole. I read somewhere that the possibility of inhaling unhealthy vapors from a battery discharging is effectively zero. If I truly cared about my health i'd be doing some research to learn more about the ammounts of gas released from a discharging battery. I know in an automotive battery hydrogen gas is released, I know nothing about rechargeable AA's though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and throw in their :2c: To me it seems like it's common sense that if I can smell the product through the battery hole i'm inhaling the hydrogen/whatever gas it is? I'm probably wrong as I was recently, but i'd like to know. I can't learn if I don't ask.
I personally believe after learning how many people lie throughout my life, that if I was right I wouldn't be told the truth anyway. I'm not trying to start shit, I just want a definitive answer from someone more educated on the subject matter.

tompumped,

MG23

Relaxin'
That's a totally fair question man.
I'd be interested in seeing the answer as well.

MG23,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
tompumped said:
On another not one thing that worries me is the fact that I can smell the product i'm vaping through the battery hole. I read somewhere that the possibility of inhaling unhealthy vapors from a battery discharging is effectively zero. If I truly cared about my health i'd be doing some research to learn more about the ammounts of gas released from a discharging battery. I know in an automotive battery hydrogen gas is released, I know nothing about rechargeable AA's though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and throw in their To me it seems like it's common sense that if I can smell the product through the battery hole i'm inhaling the hydrogen/whatever gas it is? I'm probably wrong as I was recently, but i'd like to know. I can't learn if I don't ask.

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magi..._are_then_inhaled_through_the_herb_chamber.3F

pakalolo,

MG23

Relaxin'
pakalolo said:
tompumped said:
On another not one thing that worries me is the fact that I can smell the product i'm vaping through the battery hole. I read somewhere that the possibility of inhaling unhealthy vapors from a battery discharging is effectively zero. If I truly cared about my health i'd be doing some research to learn more about the ammounts of gas released from a discharging battery. I know in an automotive battery hydrogen gas is released, I know nothing about rechargeable AA's though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and throw in their To me it seems like it's common sense that if I can smell the product through the battery hole i'm inhaling the hydrogen/whatever gas it is? I'm probably wrong as I was recently, but i'd like to know. I can't learn if I don't ask.

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magi..._are_then_inhaled_through_the_herb_chamber.3F

Could've sworn I read that entire page.

MG23,

cypher3d

Hello, this is my first post on FC. I have been reading up on different portable vaporizers and originally was looking into the VG. Based on the reviews here I decided to go with the MFLB instead. My Launch Box arrived today, and came super quick from across the country (I ordered on Saturday afternoon and it arrived on Monday). I tried it out just now and I definitely made the right decision. I never really vaped before and it was an excellent experience! My girlfriend also enjoys it more than conventional smoking, it was a nice Valentines day gift for the both of us. Not much I can say about this thing that hasn't already been said on here. I'm looking forward to the power adapter to be released.

cypher3d,

YourPalHal

THC Exploiter
Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question.

I received my warranty replacement launch box after having a couple of screen issues with my first one. The replacement that I received was the latest model with the pushback ring and the gasket around the bowl, and my last one didn't have either. Also the air intake was different.

My new box draws MUCH easier than my previous one, but whenever I take even the slightest breath through it, it sends the herbs spinning around the bowl in a tornado-like spiral. This pushes all of the plant matter to the back of the trench, and greatly reduces the surface area available to vaporize.

At first I thought that maybe I was accustomed to having to draw harder to get air through my old box, and that maybe I was just drawing too hard, so I tried reducing my breath as much as I could. I got it down to the point where I partially combusted part of the trench (a first for me :( ), but even so, the swirling herbs continued to make my life harder!

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Much Love To All, Cheers, and Happy Vaping!

YourPalHal,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
How much of your herb is spiniing around? I usually have a few specks that fly around, but the vast majority of my herbage stays put.

Stu,

YourPalHal

THC Exploiter
About half of the trench. . . which means that I'm only getting half as much vapor than I normally would. :(

YourPalHal,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I would just slow down your draw. Sip it like a fine glass of wine. You shouldn't be displacing half your trench by any means. If you're drawing slow and there is that much displacement, then you may want to ask magic flight for a replacement.
:peace:

Stu,

YourPalHal

THC Exploiter
Like I said, I tried drawing so slowly that it combusted. . . and yet still, half of the trench ended up around the sides of the bowl! Just a bit frustrating, but I'm still vaked, so I can't really complain. Haha.

YourPalHal,

Cairo1

tompumped said:
I have had nothing but smooth transactions on eBay for years. This was my second incident out of hundreds. I have bought a number of high performance car/engine parts at great prices on eBay. I wouldn't have been able to get the ammount or quality of parts I was getting if I was dealing with a local speed shop, because of money issues back then. I don't need to have a relationship with the person who sells me my parts/vaporizer as long as it comes with the real manufacturer warranty, I see no reason to even contact the seller again. To each is own though.

To be clear, I was specifically referring to the ebay vape dealers. I'm sure they're all not villains, and I'm certainly not referring to ebay in general.

I bought a gray market iolite and had many issues, arguments and I was finally stuck with a bogus vape and no recourse.

My point is to beware of lowball prices from ebay vape dealers.

Cairo1,

dt403

pakalolo said:
dt403 said:

If you put the battery in a tin container without using one of the battery caps, the battery will short if the positive nipple makes contact with the side of the tin. This will cause it to discharge rapidly and heat up. The "corrosion" you see is likely a consequence of the overheating.

Toss the battery and write it off to experience. It could have been worse; people have put them in a pocket with keys/loose change and had much nastier experiences.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I guess it moved away from the side of the tin when i opened it up. Unfortunately i already lost one of the battery covers, Ill just have to make sure the next spares i buy stay in a wooden drawer when not in use.

dt403,

max

Out to lunch
dt403 said:
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I guess it moved away from the side of the tin when i opened it up. Unfortunately i already lost one of the battery covers, Ill just have to make sure the next spares i buy stay in a wooden drawer when not in use.
If you buy your batteries here - http://www.thomasdistributing.com/ - they'll often come with plastic battery containers included. Powerex 2700 or Imedion low discharge (both made by MAHA) are excellent choices and they come with bat holders. It's a good site for bats and chargers.

max,

Hery Vappy

Ive read this whole thread and know its been mentioned but my screen is now lifting from the trench bar (copper heat source?). I don't think its affecting performance although it seems to be running cool now but that could be from getting past the break in period I've seen mentioned here. So I guess I have 2 questions

1) Would this lifting affect performance?

2) Does it make sense to contact Magic Flight now or should I wait to see if the lifting continues?

I've only had it a month and don't want to go through the warranty needlessly as it seems to be ok but I also don't want a half functioning box.

FYI - I'm very careful with it and have cleaned it twice using the qtip iso method (aside from brushing it after every trench).

Thanks

Hery Vappy,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hery Vappy said:
1) Would this lifting affect performance?
Yes, it will.

Hery Vappy said:
2) Does it make sense to contact Magic Flight now or should I wait to see if the lifting continues?
I would definitely contact MF. Send an email to customerservice@blisssville.com along with pictures of the screen, and a picture of the serial number on the back of the box. Their customer service is quite good and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

:peace:

Stu,

Hery Vappy

I was afraid of that answer just because I don't want the hassle. Oh well I guess but I'm kind of disappointed after only having it a month. I hope its not a common issue bevause I love the box. Blisssville is definitely the people I should contact not Magic Flight?

Thanks

Hery Vappy,

Authrom

Hery Vappy said:
I was afraid of that answer just because I don't want the hassle. Oh well I guess but I'm kind of disappointed after only having it a month. I hope its not a common issue bevause I love the box. Blisssville is definitely the people I should contact not Magic Flight?

Thanks

Contact Blissflight I accidently broke the screen and I sent them a email last thursday, by friday it was shipped and at my house on monday. I did not even have to send the old box back first, once you get the new one however you will have to send it back.

Shoot them some pictures of the damage and the serial number and they will get you taken care of.

Great customer service with these guys and with the 2700mah batteries it is a whole new vape..now just waiting for the final release of the PA.

Authrom,
Top Bottom